• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

Do you think this game is doing better sales-wise than you originally thought when we only had the demo?
The OT is much more active than I thought it would be, so at least in my opinion it's doing much better than I expected. However, I didn't pay attention to any other MH OT so I can't compare.

blackflag

Made a Zinogre set, this is pretty much my first set I really cared about skills for (though I did have Attack Up L on the Rathalos set).

I think it would be useful as a general purpose set except for facing Barioth and such.

It is pretty much the same as Tri's. As for tips, I'm pretty sure you already know this, but gonna say it anyways, go for the beard first and once you get to the final area, use the ballistas.

I'm loving my Voli set for hammer. I got attack up L and evasion.

That Zinogre looks awesome. Razor sharp is beast. What is latent power?

Rasan4eva

Neo Member
But I am already on high rank (both, singleplayer and online quests), yet I can't craft the two-slotted jewel. There are other lvl 2 jewels that show up for me, though.

Could someone on highrank/g-rank confirm, that there is in fact a potential jewel 2?

There is.

You need:

1 adamant orb
2 heavy mossplate (G rank)
2 lagombi ear+

DaBoss

Oh man this is hilarious. Cut off Azure Rathalos' tail and it gave me a Rathalos Ruby. I'm liking Azure Rathalos already.

Do you think this game is doing better sales-wise than you originally thought when we only had the demo?
The OT is much more active than I thought it would be, so at least in my opinion it's doing much better than I expected. However, I didn't pay attention to any other MH OT so I can't compare.

I brought it up earlier and this is pretty crazy comparing it to the MHTri OT.

MHTri OT is at 109 pages at 100ppp.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393038

MH3U OT is currently at 107 pages at 100ppp. MH3U is getting the series a lot of exposure. YAY!

I'm loving my Voli set for hammer. I got attack up L and evasion.

That Zinogre looks awesome. Razor sharp is beast. What is latent power?

Googled and saw this at GFAQs:
Latent Power +1, after suffering 180 points of damage within 5 minutes, it increases your affinity by 30% and stamina consumption is decreased by 50%

Latent Power +2 is the same, but it's 50% affinity and 75% stamina.

Seems pretty good.

muu

Can't say I'm expecting too much in terms of sales. "Real gamers" can't be bothered to buy a WiiU since it's for the kids, and it requires enough patience that the "hardcore CoD" crowd and such probably would get bad vibes from the start. What does matter is that everyone here's getting a kick out of the game. Hope the community continues to run strong.

Title-1.png

I thought it would be a good idea to put all my thoughts/advice/observations on using the Bow in case others were curious in using the weapon. I am by no means an expert as I only have about 70 hours using it so far.

Bow is sort of a mid-range weapon. You spend most of your fights circling monsters about 2-3 dodge rolls distance away. It has great mobility when unsheathed which is why I recommend keeping it out and learning how to walk/dodge around most monster attacks. You optimally want to be in a constant cycle of charging, shooting that charge asap, and then immediately charging again while circling the monster.

What I’ve grown to really like about bow is how removed it makes you from danger. I am just an average player yet nowadays I am doing entire hunts without having to use a single healing potion, way more than I could say for my LS days. You are out of range for most of the thrashing that monsters do and as long as you’re not too attack-greedy, you can see charge attacks and fireballs coming.

GeneralShots.png

Bows standard shot can be done by hitting the X button. If you hold it you will begin to charge for a more powerful and different type of shot. A uncharged shot is considered a lv 1 shot, while charging up two flashes is lv 3.

Hitting the A button when unsheathed does a weak melee attack. Supposedly this can be used to cut off monster tails but I find it so incredibly weak and cumbersome to use I don't bother.

Distance
Shots have an optimal distance to do full damage at. It’s generally the 2-3 dodge rolls away I mentioned earlier. It’s not an exact science and sometimes it can’t be helped. I think of it as a guideline rather than an absolute rule as there are many situations where the monster won’t get out of your face or jumps away. I think in those situations it’s still better to fire off your charge and try to move back to that optimal distance, rather than wait until every shot you make is the perfect distance.​
Charge Levels
Though some charge levels fire different level/kinds of shots, always charge to level 3 every time. The time saved by not charging to full does not offset the lost damage. Even if you are trying to apply a quick status using coatings, the amount of coating applied at lv1 is only 50% compared to the 125% at lv 3.

While you are charging the bow you can use the Y button to do a dodge roll. Since you optimally want to always be in a charge state this becomes invaluable​
Shot Types
There are three different kinds of shot types, Rapid, Scatter and Pierce. Rapid shoots out a giant concentrated chunk of arrows, Scatter shoots out a horizontal fan of arrows, and Pierce shoots one arrow that hits multiple times. Rapid is great for smaller monsters like Great Jaggi or Lagombi and friends. It’s also really nice for hitting a specific part of the monsters like their head. Scatter is an alright type and can be more powerful than Rapid if you hit with all arrows. I find it’s still flexible enough to nail most monsters in the face with its full load. Pierce only works well on medium or large sized monsters. If you can see your pierce arrow spark 4-5 times through the monster then it’s ok, however once or twice is really limiting your damage.

When selecting a bow to use the shot type is one of the most important aspects. As stated above, it’s always best to charge to level 3 so when looking at bows check to see what kind of shot it has for that charge level. There are a lot of bows that look good stat wise but do a lot less damage in practice because they only have a lv 1 or 2 shot type. For example, if a bow has a lv 3 Scatter shot it will shoot five arrows whereas a bow with only lv 2 Scatter will shoot three arrows. If the damage numbers were the same on each bow, doing the math you would have to shoot the lv 2 bow five times just to equal three shots with the lv 3 bow (not exactly but give or take). Over the course of a long fight that’s a whole lot of extra shots just to get the same damage output.​

ArrowRain.png

I’ve found that for such a useful part of the Bow’s skillset it isn’t talked about a lot. It’s done by charging to level 3 (two charge blinks) then hitting the A button. It will rain down arrows a good distance from the direction you are facing.

Types
There are three types of Arrow rain: Spread, Focus and Blast. Spread drops down a bunch of arrows over a wide area, Focus same thing but a narrow area, and Blast drops down one arrow that explodes. After using all three for a while I’ve found that Focus is the best type in general. All three types seem to do as much damage as a level 3 charge shot, but due to the slow animation it’s not the fastest way to deal damage.

Blast is the biggest mystery to me as I still don’t feel I know everything about it. It doesn’t explode when it hits a monster, instead it travels through them and explodes on the ground. I believe this means that you can’t “bomb” the upper parts of big monsters like Duramboros. I’m not sure how strong the explosion is although my quest times didn’t seem any quicker or slower compared to Spread/Focus bows.​

Aiming
I’ve found that if you are taking more than a second to enter aim mode and line up arrow rain, then it’s not worth using. It takes practice but in my opinion in order to really use this skill effectively you need to develop a feel for judging it’s distance and position without aim mode. I’ve gotten to the point where I rarely enter aim mode and when I do it’s only to make a split second adjustment to pinpoint a monsters head. Plus it’s very satisfying when you unload an entire focused arrow rain on a monsters head by just feeling out where you think it will land.​

Uses
One of the less mentioned benefits of this skill is that it has a pretty decent range and is not affected by distance penalties like standard shots. You can use this to your advantage if you want to keep your distance and play things safe. I find I use it mostly to hit obnoxious monsters who like to play tag and won’t stop charging around. When a monster charges at me and I dodge out of the way, it’s so much easier (and quicker) to turn around and lob off an arrow rain rather than chase them to close the distance.

Arrow Rain has exhaust and KO properties to it. I like to start most fights off lobbing as many of these off as I can until the monster is exhausted. I find an exhausted monster makes the whole fight go so much easier. This skill also does KO damage just like impact weapons so if you can hit the monster enough times in the head it will get KO’d. However doing this with anything other than focus type is really difficult.

Spread and focus are also a great way to apply status coatings, especially if your bow doesn’t have a very high level shot type (therefore does not shoot many arrows).​

Multiplayer
People say don’t use this skill online but I disagree. It’s far too useful of a skill to shun away when playing in a group. The key is to know your skill level and be courteous to the rest of the team. If you aren’t comfortable with your aim to blindly shoot an arrow rain off without aim mode, then take a second to adjust it. Focus is the optimal type for groups as you have to miss pretty badly to hit another player with it. Spread you have to be more careful with and should only be spammed if the monster is large enough to soak up all the arrows. When I use spread bows in groups I tend to only shoot them if I can pinpoint the center of a monster or when the monster separates itself from the group.

Bomb is the big no-no I don’t know how to properly use multiplayer yet. I’m actually debating if it even can be due to the way it explodes on the ground right where Blademasters usually are attacking. Accidents are going to happen regardless of how good you are, but getting launched and tumbled is a lot worse than a quick flinch.​

Coatings.png

Coatings are one of the most fun aspects of using a bow. They are items that you can apply to your weapon giving it the ability to induce status effects or increase damage. To use them cycle through them like you would items (Holding L) and use X&B. Once selected with your bow unsheathed hit X&A together and it will apply the coating. It will remain active until you switch to a different selection in that menu so keep that in mind while fighting. If you finally paralyze a monster with coatings, you want to quickly switch off so you don’t waste them while continuing your attack.

Every bow only has certain kinds of coatings it can use so always check that before going on a hunt. They are nice to take advantage of but it’s never been a deal breaker for me choosing one bow over the other. Just a nice bonus. Note too that contrary to what I’ve read a few times online, C.Range coatings do increase your shot damage at close range, not just the manual arrow swipe attack.

Carry Limit/Combining
You can only carry 20 coatings of each type, with the exception of 50 Power coatings. Remember that a monsters tolerance for status effects raises every time they are affected by them. So if it took 5 coatings to apply it the first time and 10 the second time then don’t waste coatings by trying a third because you won’t have enough (unless you get/make more). Coating can be a big drain on your money so if you can afford it stock up when there are sales. I find combining coatings for your main supply is a big waste of time/resources and should only be done if you need more in the middle of a hunt. Otherwise your time is better spent doing missions and earning money to buy them.​

Coating Boosts
Some bows have coating boosts, which means when you use the boosted type it will apply even more of that status. You can also slot in coating boosts with the right jewels. My bow with poison boost only takes three charged shots to poison a monster the first time.​

ArmorSuggestions.png

Armor
I tend to prioritize skills in armor over defense ratings. If you find yourself still getting hit a lot and can’t live without high defense then do what you need to do.

As far as Skills go, my biggest recommendation for low rank quests is the Marathon Runner skill. I made a Royal Ludroth set as early as possible, upgraded it as much as I could, and have been wearing it ever since just for that skill (I’m at village Ceadus). It slows down stamina drain by a considerable amount so you can keep your bow charged longer. Without it you may find yourself having to stop attacking and wait for it to refill, but with this skill that should never be a problem. Unfortunately I don’t have much other advice when it comes to skills. Nothing I’ve seen of low rank armors has been worth giving up marathon runner for. Once I get to high rank and have access to some of the more awesome sounding bow skills I can comment more.​

Weapons
From the start I upgraded the Hunter Bow 1 to 2, then created the Queens Blaster 1 (Rathian bow) as soon as I could. Up to this point it has been my go to bow for everything. According to the damage formulas I’ve found online, it beats just about every other low rank bow you can create when you consider everything. 180 damage, Scatter lv 3, Focus rain, and boosted poison coating. There are a few other bows with some big elemental damage, but according to my calculations their raw damage is so much lower than the Queens Blaster that they do just about the same damage.​

Overall I am having a lot of fun using Bow. I’m still only on low rank quests so I’m sure I will learn a lot more as I progress. If anyone has any questions I’d be happy to help.

Mondriaan

MH3U OT is currently at 107 pages at 100ppp. MH3U is getting the series a lot of exposure. YAY!
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I try not to read too much into thread activity.

While this thread may have much more life than Tri's, there are far fewer people playing Tri Ultimate online than there were playing Tri online during its first month.

On the other hand, there is also far more content to discuss in Ultimate. Tri was really terrible from that perspective.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol wow, did the Repel Lagi quest with my new Volcanis GS and it wasn't even fair. Only used single First Aid. Can't believe I'm so much better than I was in Tri, guess practice really does make perfect.

Nice guide. I switch to bow in 3U after using hammer for every MH and I'm having a blast with it. I'm at High Rank in both tavern and village right now and these are rules I keep to myself as a bow user.

- NEVER overcharge. It drains energy for nothing. Never run around with your bow charging if you don't already have a good look at your target.
- 2-3 hops away for spread, 3-4 hops for rapid and piercing. If arrows start descending, that means you're standing too far.
- Status attack for soloing is useless but very useful online.

Hoodbury

I'm confused, according to this page there are supposed to be potential jewels with two slots. However, in my forge list only appears the single slotted jewel. Do I have to "unlock" it first?

You're looking at it backwards. The slots that they are showing is how many it takes to use that jewel. So the pieces of armour and weapons have the slots and you put the jewels in those slots. If the jewel from your link shows 1 slot, then it only takes one slot in the armor. If it has 2, then you need two.

Alex

Lol wow, did the Repel Lagi quest with my new Volcanis GS and it wasn't even fair. Only used single First Aid. Can't believe I'm so much better than I was in Tri, guess practice really does make perfect.

That and the reduced difficulty in Portable 3rd and 3G.

Ridley327

Sooo... what's a good guide for this game?

The Brady Guide is the only comprehensive guide out there right now, so your options are a bit limited. :p

Seriously though, while it does have some odd quirks, like the lack of weapon trees, it's definitely the best visual guide for the game out there, especially with the MH Wiki being REALLY behind on info right now for MH3U.

demonkaze

Nice, repeled Ceadeus on my first attempt, Lagi GL did the trick. Thanks for all the advice guys, now I finally have access to the High rank quests in moga too!

Whenever you get even one piece of what you need to craft a certain armor, you can then check your Forge Armors panel to see what the armor is, what skills it provides, and what else you still need to collect to actually make it. This means that whenever you get a new ore, new bug, or new monster piece (including minor monsters!) you can immediately go see what you would get if you farmed more.

Cool, thanks!

Regarding weapons. Do you need to create a weapon before you see the ones below it or is it similar to Armor?

Morokh

Played on 3DS all evening and i'm actually very positively surprised at how it controls compared to the WiiU, few tweaks to the menu and the touch screen D-pad and it works very well with the auto-lock on bosses.

It can be a little trickier underwater for regular mobs though.

blackflag

Oh man this is hilarious. Cut off Azure Rathalos' tail and it gave me a Rathalos Ruby. I'm liking Azure Rathalos already.

Googled and saw this at GFAQs:

Seems pretty good.

Yes that seems pretty sick.

blackflag

Slime seems overpowered. First time fighting Jade Barroth I basically chain stunned him and knocked him down 4 times within about 2 minutes with dios hammer. need to find some bombardier gems.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
You're looking at it backwards. The slots that they are showing is how many it takes to use that jewel. So the pieces of armour and weapons have the slots and you put the jewels in those slots. If the jewel from your link shows 1 slot, then it only takes one slot in the armor. If it has 2, then you need two.

Yeah, your right. Still, I need the jewel that takes two slots or else I'm not able to reach the +15 barrier without sacrificing any of my other skills. I got the spare minimum of 2 empty slots on one of my armor parts.

Ridley327

Slime seems overpowered. First time fighting Jade Barroth I basically chain stunned him and knocked him down 4 times within about 2 minutes with dios hammer. need to find some bombardier gems.

Yeah, I noticed that slime weapons are quite popular, to the point where I'm getting annoyed at the friendly fire that occurs when they hit their explosive potential.

And to think, we were worried about a whole new generation of GS upswings.

blackflag

Yeah, I noticed that slime weapons are quite popular, to the point where I'm getting annoyed at the friendly fire that occurs when they hit their explosive potential.

And to think, we were worried about a whole new generation of GS upswings.

Yeah but on the other hand 4 people with slime weapons attacking brachy last night made for some incredibly fast farming runs

Alex

Played on 3DS all evening and i'm actually very positively surprised at how it controls compared to the WiiU, few tweaks to the menu and the touch screen D-pad and it works very well with the auto-lock on bosses.

It can be a little trickier underwater for regular mobs though.

Yeah, 3DS controls are very solid for what they are. It was a fair heft above the PSP between the better slider, the digital D-Pad and the soft lock on. Only issue with the 3DS version is that the UI is rather blargh due to the reduced screen res from the PSP.

Not much you can do with the water combat, though. Even with proper dual sticks there's always a level of awkwardness to it that is a bit offputting. Clumsy but not in that eccentric, fun and highly prone to mastery type of normal Monster Hunter combat. I don't hate it or anything but I am glad it's gone in 4, hell in general it's nice to see them basically kick a lot of their somewhat misguided goals from vanilla Tri to the curb with 3G and 4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

That's...disappointing. I hope slime doesn't trivialize the harder content...

Mupod

Fought Brachy for the first time myself, didn't take very long but man he's annoying. I swear he has trap-avoiding AI. Watched him practically dance around my traps before turning around and changing areas...twice.

Also VERY hard to avoid his big explosions in ragemode with a hammer. Can't quite move out of the way fast enough to dodge. I suppose Narga armor would make this trivial or I could just bring a HH instead, but I still don't have a good one. Dios bell doesn't look that good for solo play and I'm done putting up with green sharpness.

I don't know who decided to make the Yamato waist require a Rathalos plate but that shit is irritating. Still haven't got one and I can murder Rathalos very, very quickly. Haven't found any nice charms either aside from a single 3-slotter and my +7 dragon atk +5 expert one. Not gonna waste any more time looking for one until g-rank.

Giolon

<Much Bow Advice>
Weapons
From the start I upgraded the Hunter Bow 1 to 2, then created the Queens Blaster 1 (Rathian bow) as soon as I could. Up to this point it has been my go to bow for everything. According to the damage formulas I&#8217;ve found online, it beats just about every other low rank bow you can create when you consider everything. 180 damage, Scatter lv 3, Focus rain, and boosted poison coating. There are a few other bows with some big elemental damage, but according to my calculations their raw damage is so much lower than the Queens Blaster that they do just about the same damage.​

Overall I am having a lot of fun using Bow. I&#8217;m still only on low rank quests so I&#8217;m sure I will learn a lot more as I progress. If anyone has any questions I&#8217;d be happy to help.

Great post! It aligns pretty well with what I've experienced as a bow user myself. I've not had quite the same success w/ Poison Coating Boost as you seem to have had though. It still takes me 8-ish charged shots w/ the Queen's Blaster to poison the average boss mob. Also, where did you find a damage formula? The best I could find was unverified and incomplete formulas from MHP3rd, which is the most recent game to this one, but no guarantee the mechanics and formulas haven't changed.

Also, I did find some formula somewhere about the idea damage ranges for each of the bow shot types and it was 3-5 hops for Rapid/Scatter, and 3-6 hops for Pierce. I don't know how trustworthy it was, but both your numbers and its were similar. (I like to hang out in the 2-3 hops range myself).

Ghost23

What jewels can I put in my new Rathalos armor? Only three of the armor parts have slots, so I don't know how I am going to get +5 on anything.

Ken

Miralis is pretty easy.

What happens when you hit HR8? Does the game keep track of all the quests you've done and give you points for those or are you just HR8.

What jewels can I put in my new Rathalos armor? Only three of the armor parts have slots, so I don't know how I am going to get +5 on anything.

That's what charms are for! Also gem out whatever negative skill you have.

Ghost23

Miralis is pretty easy.

What happens when you hit HR8? Does the game keep track of all the quests you've done and give you points for those or are you just HR8.

That's what charms are for! Also gem out whatever negative skill you have.

Where can I get new charms? All the ones I have are awful.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How far we've come, huh? :p

Heheheh, you can say that. The only time I've carted so far is during a Wroggi battle when I forgot I was poisoned. (Compared to like, failing every monster in Tri the first couples times, lol.)

Of course, I'm fast approaching the end of the runway for the content I experienced in Tri. I think I stopped after facing Nargacuga and Rathalos.

tbhysgb

I bought freedom unite on the psp a few months ago. But never was able to get into it. Then a couple days ago it just clicked and I was hooked. So today I picked this up for the 3DS. I love how everything seems alot smoother from the psp version, yet it's like picking up the psp version at the same time, feels at home. I was playing fu on the vita too and I love the dual stick solution. The digital dpad actually works pretty well, I was surprised.

Overall can't wait to lose hours into this game. So anyway, question. From what I've gathered there is no wrong weapon choice right? I'm ok with having to use others if need be, but I favor the SnS. I like the LS for brute force aswell, but I love that nimble feeling. Anyway, got alot to learn with this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom