• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Trying that next. Thanks for the tips.

10 mins? Man, I must suck so bad or my dual hatchets just aren't doing their job well enough.

Okay, I did the quest where you have to capture the Royal Ludroth. Caught him and damn! 2 Aqua Sacs at once. You guys were right!! Ludroth Pair here I come!!

DaBoss

So if you choose Solo Port Tanzia when you speak to Neko, are those easier and meant for one person? Can you rank up in HR solo?

Those quests are harder than the village ones. Yes you can rank up.

Thanks for the info!
Do the monsters scale to the amount of people that are playing in your group, like Diablo? Or do monsters just go down faster because more people are doing damage to it?
I keep thinking in my head its like diablo with the loot and difficulty (scales to your party); but I could be wrong. As I said I know very little of MH but the gameplay really interests me.

AFAIK, they don't scale. They didn't scale in MHTri, and I assume they don't scale here, but that is with the multiplayer Tanzia Port. There is a single-player port too, which is harder than village quests.

Fewr

Don't you just get them from quest rewards after hunting a large monster? I remember getting some off Barroth and Rathian.
I have one, but dont know where I got it from. I think I had a one time only special fishing trip and got it from there. I've been doing barroth quests (cap), hoping I'd get one there, but no luck so far. I probably need to do more story quests to unlock new fishing destinations.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It does seem like you get them as rewards for the "big" monsters, like Barroth. In fact it seems like Barroth is the only low rank monster than only rewards with L-sized ones.

This isn't in the guide though...

RMI

Banned
I have one, but dont know where I got it from. I think I had a one time only special fishing trip and got it from there. I've been doing barroth quests (cap), hoping I'd get one there, but no luck so far. I probably need to do more story quests to unlock new fishing destinations.

you do get them as rewards from large monster hunts.

Beats

I can't even get one Rathian Plate, and yet I have a full Rath Soul armor set now. This is just hilarious.

I made the same set yesterday, but my luck was pretty damn bad. Took forever to get the second ruby...

untitledfsdfs-1fed2n.png

Lost Guard +2 from my Agnaktor set, but I wanted a more "general" set so I can use other weapons. I'm happy with it though.

tomasdk

Got the game yesterday for 3DS, enjoying it very much. Only thing bothering me are the charm tables, the web pages for the check won't work a the forum with the program for the check won't allow me to even enter the site lol. Anyone else encountered this?

Palmer_v1

For the love of god, is there a collapsible weapon tree anywhere? I hate that all of the current ones just show EVERTHING, so I can't easily compare what I want, and where it comes from.

Ridley327

I made the same set yesterday, but my luck was pretty damn bad. Took forever to get the second ruby...

Lost Guard +2 from my Agnaktor set, but I wanted a more "general" set so I can use other weapons. I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice!

Yeah, I can't even explain the whys or hows, especially all those medullas it got from rewards and tail carves. I'm not going to complain, though, since that just means I can finally look forward to upgrading my Red Wing into something more damaging much sooner rather than later.

A friend of mine who has never played a Monster Hunter until 2 days ago, bought a 3DS just to play Ultimate, game is so powerful. We ran some local play yesterday with 2 3DS' and a Wii U and had a ton of fun. We took down Lagi twice! I didn't even think we were ready.

Alrus

Hey guys, what's a good low rank Bow set to aim for? I absolutely have no idea which one is good for them, half the sets seem Bowgun oriented.

muu

Carbalite Ore
Moga Woods (Night) Area 1 - Mining (Spawn A: 12%, Spawn B: 15%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 4 (Spawn A: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 5 (Spawn A: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 6 (Spawn A: 2%, Spawn B: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 7 (Spawn A: 2%, Spawn B: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 8 (Spawn A: 2%, Spawn B: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 4 - Mining 9 (Spawn A: 2%, Spawn B: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 7 - Mining (Spawn A: 12%, Spawn B: 12%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 8 - Mining (Spawn A: 2%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 10 - Mining 1 (Fixed: 15%)
Moga Woods (Night) Area 12 - Mining (Fixed: 12%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 1 - Mining 1 (Fixed: 12%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 1 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 1 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 2 (Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 3 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 4 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 5 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 4 - Mining 6 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 6 - Mining (Fixed: 12%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 7 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 17%, Spawn B: 15%)
Deserted Island (High Rank) Area 12 - Mining (Fixed: 15%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 1 - Mining 1 (Fixed: 23%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 1 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 1 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 25%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 3 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 4 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 5 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 4 - Mining 6 (Spawn A: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 6 - Mining (Fixed: 23%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 7 - Mining 1 (Fixed: 18%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 7 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 27%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 8 - Mining (Spawn A: 19%, Spawn B: 25%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 10 - Mining 2 (Spawn A: 19%, Spawn B: 25%)
Deserted Island (G Rank) Area 12 - Mining (Fixed: 22%)

...yeah this goes on for a while and I'm not typing it all up. :p Hope this helps at least.

It seems to show up in Sandy Plains (Low Rank), in everywhere else it seems to be High Rank or G Rank. It's also in Free Hunt as you can see above, but only at night it seems (which is basically High Rank.)

Edit- I was wrong, Carbalite Ore is High/G-rank only.

Is this off a wiki or the Brady guide? Might have to actually buy something if it's the latter, seems tremendously useful.

A friend of mine who has never played a Monster Hunter until 2 days ago, bought a 3DS just to play Ultimate, game is so powerful. We ran some local play yesterday with 2 3DS' and a Wii U and had a ton of fun. We took down Lagi twice! I didn't even think we were ready.
The power of friendship.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is this off a wiki or the Brady guide? Might have to actually buy something if it's the latter, seems tremendously useful.

Brady guide. Goes fairly in depth but it does seem to lack a couple weird things (like the Monster Bone L thing.) Still hugely useful, obviously.

So, been playing around with the weapons. Katana is cool, haven't tried any gunner types yet, will probably do that this weekend.

BUT, I really love Dual Blades ... but I also know these as the 'noob' weapons as a lot of people call them. Am I setting myself up for end-game mediocrity by doing this? I play with the girl on her 3DS so most likely my entire MH career will consist of just 2 player local co-op and solo (until I get a Wii U much later and possibly pick this up and transfer the save).

She also likes them so are we going to be able to kill things in time with these weapons later on? I notice the damage on other weapons is often double or triple, and while they do swing faster, i'm not sure if the damage is going to be there.

We tried a MP Peco (not sure of boss name, it was a 1 star bird like thing that shot poison balls and clacked it's wings together) and we were attacking him like crazy. Is it because I wasn't that upgraded, hopefully? I just upgraded to the 3rd level DS and Jaggi armor after spending about 35 minutes on that guy and both of us eventually dying. So I haven't tried him with my upgraded set yet.

Good question! =P Anybody?

TL;DR: Will Dual Blades be insufficient for late game? Are all weapons viable?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Help? ;___;

Rathalos Cortex
Rathalos G Rank: Body Carve (28%)
Rathalos G Rank: Capture (34%)
Rathalos G Rank: Break Part - Head (28%)
Rathalos G Rank: Free Hunt (20%)

Rathalos Lash
Rathalos G Rank: Tail Carve (57%)
Rathalos G Rank: Capture (12%)
Rathalos G Rank: Free Hunt (20%)

Rathalos Fellwing
Rathalos G Rank: Body Carve (16%)
Rathalos G Rank: Capture (13%)
Rathalos G Rank: Free Hunt (25%)

Rathalos Mantle
Rathalos G Rank: Tail Carve (2%)
Rathalos G Rank: Tears - Knock down while eating/Interrupt pinning attack (1%)
Rathalos G Rank: Capture (2%)
Rathalos G Rank: Break Part - Head (2%)
Rathalos G Rank: Free Hunt (3%)
Azure Rathalos G Rank: Tail Carve (3%)
Azure Rathalos G Rank: Tears - Knock down while eating/Interrupt pinning attack (2%)
Azure Rathalos G Rank: Capture (3%)
Azure Rathalos G Rank: Break Part - Head (2%)
Silver Rathalos G Rank: Tail Carve (4%)
Silver Rathalos G Rank: Tears - Interrupt pinning attack (3%)
Silver Rathalos G Rank: Capture (4%)
Silver Rathalos G Rank: Break Part - Head (3%)

All weapons are viable, use which ever you find the funnest to play. I would say dual swords are a little harder to use than other melee weapons, but in the end game your dual swords will be fine as long as you upgrade.

muu

Brady guide. Goes fairly in depth but it does seem to lack a couple weird things (like the Monster Bone L thing.) Still hugely useful, obviously.

Yeah definitely. I've been killing myself looking for Lagi jewels for a Caedeus Waistpiece (it's that or find a sharpness talisman), and having a resource to find something silly like that every time would be hugely useful. Does Brady let you download multiple times or is it single-DL DRM free?

Prade

Yes, all weapons are viable. Some may be harder to use for certain monsters, but any weapon can be used.

^^ This. However due to some big monsters having high weak points, it's recommended to pick up something with better reach. Dual Sword would probably be a bad choice to use on Jho, for instance.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah definitely. I've been killing myself looking for Lagi jewels for a Caedeus Waistpiece (it's that or find a sharpness talisman), and having a resource to find something silly like that every time would be hugely useful. Does Brady let you download multiple times or is it single-DL DRM free?

Multiple times, seems like a completely DRM free PDF. It does however include "From the lbrary of <your name>" at the bottom of every page though.

Prade

Just getting into HR3 online, in high rank village mode as well. I use Hammer mostly, but have also kept up on some great swords and dual swords.

You should be trying to get the highest raw and sharpness possible with Hammers and Great Swords. Matter not to much about the elemental on them. Dualies are the opposite. Dios weapons are the all around weapon, so once you get to him, you can just farm him for those.

muu

All weapons are viable. Soon as you figure out getting into demon form and out of it properly and have the equipment to help you out (stamina skills) you'll be even stronger.

Don't worry about the damage numbers; the values actually have multipliers on them to make it look bigger, e.g. hammers you have to divide by 5.2 or something for its true value. Then you look at the damage by the type of action you do, then consider the armor on the particular monster and where you hit him. Overall it works out to the Dual Blades being a pretty good DD, just that they're by nature bad at targeting certain body parts and require constant sharpening. Try to really learn another weapon type, and you'll realize that there's no such thing as a uber weapon class.

Multiple times, seems like a completely DRM free PDF. It does however include "From the lbrary of <your name>" at the bottom of every page though.

Awesome, guess I'll be able to pore over that during lunch hour.

Ridley327

Let me guess, you pet the pig a lot?

:p

I don't even pet the pig at all! I just saw a room that said it was farming Azure Rathalos, thought to myself "hey, that doesn't seem like a bad idea," and six runs later, I'm knee-deep in ultra-rare materials and forged a full Rath Soul set. All I need now are six Rath Scale+ to upgrade my Red Wing into a Rathalos Firesword and it'll be a totally amazing day.

I've broken the Desire Sensor beyond repair!

Yes, all weapons are viable. Some may be harder to use for certain monsters, but any weapon can be used.

All weapons are viable, use which ever you find the funnest to play. I would say dual swords are a little harder to use than other melee weapons, but in the end game your dual swords will be fine as long as you upgrade.

^^ This. However due to some big monsters having high weak points, it's recommended to pick up something with better reach. Dual Sword would probably be a bad choice to use on Jho, for instance.

All weapons are viable. Soon as you figure out getting into demon form and out of it properly and have the equipment to help you out (stamina skills) you'll be even stronger.

Don't worry about the damage numbers; the values actually have multipliers on them to make it look bigger, e.g. hammers you have to divide by 5.2 or something for its true value. Then you look at the damage by the type of action you do, then consider the armor on the particular monster and where you hit him. Overall it works out to the Dual Blades being a pretty good DD, just that they're by nature bad at targeting certain body parts and require constant sharpening. Try to really learn another weapon type, and you'll realize that there's no such thing as a uber weapon class.

Awesome, guess I'll be able to pore over that during lunch hour.

Fantastic news! I just like the way it works, will pick up a ranged weapon or something with bigger reach down the road also. Thanks again.

Ridley327

Was it maybe because I was fighting the HR 2 quest? Maybe hunting the HR 3 Ratholos would help.

I do find that high-rank is a bit more generous with the low-rank rare drops than fighting them on LR tends to be, which obviously can conflict with getting the high-rank rare drops.

ryz

Just got the game! Been trying to play with my girlfriend. We're in Tanzia right now, at the tavern (seeing each other). I've just accepted a quest. Is she automatically also "on" this quest now? Do i have to sound the gong?

C.T.

Finally have my complete jaggi armor. Got the King's Frills in the capture quest. Are there any bonuses for complete sets? I use the long sword mostly but forged the lance for 10500, which I kind of like. I need Middle sized Bones M for the Cerberus Sword. Any advice for the long sword? I miss a lot and then I'm open to attacks. I'm playing on the 3DS without the frankenpad and I have huge problems with the camera. I finally found out I can adjust the camera by touching the touchscreen, lol. And I don't fully grasp skills yet. I bought attack decorations to upp my attack to M.

Finally have my complete jaggi armor. Got the King's Frills in the capture quest. Are there any bonuses for complete sets? I use the long sword mostly but forged the lance for 10500, which I kind of like. I need Middle sized Bones M for the Cerberus Sword. Any advice for the long sword? I miss a lot and then I'm open to attacks. I'm playing on the 3DS without the frankenpad and I have huge problems with the camera. I finally found out I can adjust the camera by touching the touchscreen, lol. And I don't fully grasp skills yet. I bought attack decorations to upp my attack to M.

Customize the panels, and add the target camera. Whenever you fight a big monster, such as a Great Jaggi, you can select it by tapping the touch screen. This will make the camera rotate to face the monster. I've found that it's a good substitute for not having the frankenstick, which I own but often leave at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom