• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jockel

Dear EuroGAF, I really need to raise my HR and need your help.
I'm on right now at Free play 1, Lobby 4. Room name is NeoGAF.

Ridley327

getting beaten up by Pink Rathian all the time has made the regular Rathian a complete joke

I get the feeling that I'm going to have a similar feeling when I go on tonight to farm high-rank Rathalos; the speed upgrade that Azure Rathalos gets makes him a lot more fun to fight, to say nothing of the new aerial maneuvers.

But I need those mats, and they won't carve themselves.

DaBoss

Narcacuga was fun, except when it knocks me off the edge of the waterfall in area 7 lol.

getting beaten up by Pink Rathian all the time has made the regular Rathian a complete joke

Dat sense of progression.

I get the feeling that I'm going to have a similar feeling when I go on tonight to farm high-rank Rathalos; the speed upgrade that Azure Rathalos gets makes him a lot more fun to fight, to say nothing of the new aerial maneuvers.

But I need those mats, and they won't carve themselves.

There was a speed upgrade? I only noticed its flying attacks changed. And that I laugh at its attempt to poison me lol.

Pineconn

My first "Slayer" joined the lobby.

And is using Dual Blades.

Yup.

EDIT: And left the lobby after failing Pink Rathian.

This shit writes itself, lol.

Prade

I bought freedom unite on the psp a few months ago. But never was able to get into it. Then a couple days ago it just clicked and I was hooked. So today I picked this up for the 3DS. I love how everything seems alot smoother from the psp version, yet it's like picking up the psp version at the same time, feels at home. I was playing fu on the vita too and I love the dual stick solution. The digital dpad actually works pretty well, I was surprised.

Overall can't wait to lose hours into this game. So anyway, question. From what I've gathered there is no wrong weapon choice right? I'm ok with having to use others if need be, but I favor the SnS. I like the LS for brute force aswell, but I love that nimble feeling. Anyway, got alot to learn with this series.

Sns and LS are fine. The hammer is surprisingly nimble too.

Ridley327

There was a speed upgrade? I only noticed its flying attacks changed. And that I laugh at its attempt to poison me lol.

Yeah, he's definitely a bit faster; it seems like in general he moves like a normal Rathalos would move in rage mode, and he also has the ability to change direction if he goes for a double tail whip. I had to do a double take when I saw him go counter-clockwise and nail me just as I was moving in.

DaBoss

Yeah, he's definitely a bit faster; it seems like in general he moves like a normal Rathalos would move in rage mode, and he also has the ability to change direction if he goes for a double tail whip. I had to do a double take when I saw him go counter-clockwise and nail me just as I was moving in.

It doesn't seem as fast as rage mode Rathalos. Isn't a normal Rathalos able to do the change direction thing too? Though it seems Azure Rathalos does it more often.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ibjI4GQ2bxOAjt.png

I never asked for this.

DaBoss

Gigginox (and Baleful Gigginox) have been the only monsters that gave me unmanageable trouble. I didn't fail the quests, but man it was a long battle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The bane of a GSer in Tri. Seriously just go hammer on him.

I... I will stay strong! I will do this!

(underwater is the true bane of GSer, if I can handle that... I will handle this!)

But for real the super fast enemies are super annoying as a GSer. Maybe that's why I had no trouble with Barroth, he's pretty slow, lol. Even his rage mode attacks are telegraphed to hell.

Barioth made me its bitch in Tri. :( STOP JUMPING AROUND YOU CATFACED PUSSY

Ken

HR7:

8 key quests. To get some of these quests you have to complete a not key quest. To get the next set of key quests you have to complete the quests that are neither key nor are linked to previous key quests. So basically do every thing. @_@

Prade

I... I will stay strong! I will do this!

(underwater is the true bane of GSer, if I can handle that... I will handle this!)

But for real the super fast enemies are super annoying as a GSer. Maybe that's why I had no trouble with Barroth, he's pretty slow, lol. Even his rage mode attacks are telegraphed to hell.

Barioth made me its bitch in Tri. :( STOP JUMPING AROUND YOU CATFACED PUSSY

:O. Barroth was pretty shitty to GS in Tri as well. Barioth was also kind of shit, but at least at that point you can have critical draw and focus and just fuck his tail up lol. Gigginox is just the worst with all his back jumping. Hit and run, with the occasional very rare charge is pretty much the only way.

Satch

Banned
ONE DAY, ANNOYING LONGSWORD USERS WILL LEARN THAT THEIR PLACE IS NOT THE HEAD, BUT NEAR THE TAIL (WHICH IS NEAR THE ASSHOLE, WHICH THEY SHOULD WANT TO BE NEAR BECAUSE THEY CAN RELATE TO IT)

BUT TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY

(i love longsworders that know how to cut the tail tho <3)

Prade

ONE DAY, ANNOYING LONGSWORD USERS WILL LEARN THAT THEIR PLACE IS NOT THE HEAD, BUT NEAR THE TAIL (WHICH IS NEAR THE ASSHOLE, WHICH THEY SHOULD WANT TO BE NEAR BECAUSE THEY CAN RELATE TO IT)

Lulsword

DaBoss

What if I don't have a recovery up? Is it luck if I find one?

You make it by talking to the smith and choose Decorations -> Forge Decorations.

You can make a Recovery Level Up gem and set it into one of your armor pieces that has a slot available.

9isO4Jd.jpg

Proven

Two minor things. First, the Arc Shot you listed as "Spread" is called "Wide" in-game. Second, elemental does make a huge difference in damage output, if you line up the weaknesses. My first Rathalos quest I used the Queen's Blaster II, but later when you fight him in the deserted island, I used that bug bow (Y) with crazy amount of lightning damage and killed the guy in half the time. Bows to Bowguns is similar to fast blades (SnS/DS/LS) to slow blades (Hammer/GS). It's not something you would notice much in low rank though, because almost all of the upgrade paths they give you until five-star rank give you crap in terms of elemental output, and are not the best type of element to use on most of the monsters you have access to fight. The most important elements to exploit in Monster Hunter (at least based on Tri) are Dragon Attack, Fire Attack, and Ice Attack.

Also, while switching between bows all the time to try different things, I swear that the different Arc Shots have different ranges. Wide seems to be close, but that's probably just due to it's larger radius, while Focus seems to have the farthest range.

ramyeon

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I try not to read too much into thread activity.

While this thread may have much more life than Tri's, there are far fewer people playing Tri Ultimate online than there were playing Tri online during its first month.

On the other hand, there is also far more content to discuss in Ultimate. Tri was really terrible from that perspective.
The lack of people online is also because the 3DS copy is selling much better than the Wii U one.

muu

Feel like I haven't run into a single bowgun or SnS user online so far. So if they aren't there I might as well be one! Bowgun-GAF, what's a decent starting set for ranged armor and what're some good weapons to start from? Got a good amount of High-rank items floating around and a little bit of G (mostly Jaggie/Volvi/Baggi/Lagombi). Will likely be going the Heavy route.

Ultratech

Bit the bullet and got me a Wii U.

Pretty neat so far, but now I gotta wait on the thing to update. :(

Gonna go pick up MH3U when I go shopping later.

Hope to join you guys later on tonight!

Ken

I looked through all the gems, and I don't have a health recovery jewel.

Medicine Jewel 1 &#9733;3 &#9733;1 Rec Level 1 Rec Speed -1 1 Aquaglow Jewel x1, Qurupeco Scale x1, Kelbi Horn x2 4

Requires you to be at village 3 star quests or tavern 1 star.

Two minor things. First, the Arc Shot you listed as "Spread" is called "Wide" in-game. Second, elemental does make a huge difference in damage output, if you line up the weaknesses. My first Rathalos quest I used the Queen's Blaster II, but later when you fight him in the deserted island, I used that bug bow (Y) with crazy amount of lightning damage and killed the guy in half the time. Bows to Bowguns is similar to fast blades (SnS/DS/LS) to slow blades (Hammer/GS). It's not something you would notice much in low rank though, because almost all of the upgrade paths they give you until five-star rank give you crap in terms of elemental output, and are not the best type of element to use on most of the monsters you have access to fight. The most important elements to exploit in Monster Hunter (at least based on Tri) are Dragon Attack, Fire Attack, and Ice Attack.

Also, while switching between bows all the time to try different things, I swear that the different Arc Shots have different ranges. Wide seems to be close, but that's probably just due to it's larger radius, while Focus seems to have the farthest range.

The different Arc shots definetly have different ranges to them. Considerably so in fact.
Currently upgrading the Stoutbow2 and the Queensblaster2. The stoutbow will be developed towards slime.

Also I got 4 rusted weapons allready: GS, SnS, Lance, Hammer... I barely got a hammer in tri.

Proven

Feel like I haven't run into a single bowgun or SnS user online so far. So if they aren't there I might as well be one! Bowgun-GAF, what's a decent starting set for ranged armor and what're some good weapons to start from? Got a good amount of High-rank items floating around and a little bit of G (mostly Jaggie/Volvi/Baggi/Lagombi). Will likely be going the Heavy route.

That... makes me sad if it's more than just an anecdote. They even buffed the SnS. But the DS just feel like they're too similar in purpose.

The different Arc shots definetly have different ranges to them. Considerably so in fact.
Currently upgrading the Stoutbow2 and the Queensblaster2. The stoutbow will be developed towards slime.

Also I got 4 rusted weapons allready: GS, SnS, Lance, Hammer... I barely got a hammer in tri.
Thanks. I didn't stop to test so I didn't want to state it as fact. The most telling thing was trying to use Arc Shots underwater.

So I'm thinking about picking up a GS for a while. Any quick noob tips or things I should know?

I've been switching between dual swords and a hammer, and I actually prefer the hammer and its charge specials. I'm finding the dual swords kind of weaksauce in that I don't love having to hit fast combo strings and get lots of quick hits in.

I'm mostly interested in the GS because they look so awesome, but the combat seems interesting too.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I try not to read too much into thread activity.

While this thread may have much more life than Tri's, there are far fewer people playing Tri Ultimate online than there were playing Tri online during its first month.

On the other hand, there is also far more content to discuss in Ultimate. Tri was really terrible from that perspective.
Piracy.

Just faced Brachydios for the first time, damn he was a tough one, just when I think i've got things down he then goes all explosive mad in rage mode, I don't think i've ever feared a rage mode as much as this one, I do love his fighting style though, not so much the explosive slime but the fact he basically just punches and headbutts everything.

Also VERY hard to avoid his big explosions in ragemode with a hammer.

I can relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom