• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the game! Been trying to play with my girlfriend. We're in Tanzia right now, at the tavern (seeing each other). I've just accepted a quest. Is she automatically also "on" this quest now? Do i have to sound the gong?

She needs to go to the 'Board' next to where you accepted the quest. She joins your party and you both leave that area.

muu

Guide looks pretty good. Disappointed that even they don't have exact HP/damage data though -- guess we're still forced to interpret from whatever data was on MHP3.

edit: wow, they have no info whatsoever on drops by quest selected. I'd say that's pretty important...

Three runs through Volcano and not a single Fucium Ore. Pig is gonna get toasted.

Pig has nothing to do with that.

I dont know if the rumors are true, but from what i understand it just a small Lucky cat which means you have a small chance of getting an extra part at the end of the quest. It doesnt effect any sort of gathering.

Ridley327

What determines what recipes for weapons you available? Do you have to make one 'up the ladder' in order to get the recipe for the next one?

Like in this weapon tree:

Yeah, basically; in order for that upgrade to show, you have to have the previous weapon in the upgrade branch available. It's not like armor which requires a key ingredient for them to show up on your list.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Pig has nothing to do with that.

I dont know if the rumors are true, but from what i understand it just a small Lucky cat which means you have a small chance of getting an extra part at the end of the quest. It doesnt effect any sort of gathering.

I was joking, I would never dare to touch such a creepy thing. :p

At least I get tons of charms from the Volcano area, so it's not that annoying to farm there.

Doorman

A quick question for those of you who have both versions of the game: how fast is the actual data transfer? Is it easy to use? I'm honestly considering double-dipping and picking up the 3DS version for work-breaks, but it would mean moving my character between systems a LOT, and if it's a hassle to pull off regularly, I think I can still talk myself out of it.

Edit: damn spelling on cell phone keypad.

King_Moc

Banned
A quick question for those of you who have both versions of the game: how fast is the actual data transfer? Is it easy to use? I'm honestly considering double-dipping and picking up the 3DS version for work-breaks, but it would mean moving my wharacter between systems a LOT, and if it's a hassle to pull off regularly, I think I can still talk myself out of it.

From opening the tool up, it takes maybe a minute. It's pretty convenent. Would be nice if you didn't have to go to the games title screen on the Wii U though.

Do people usually upgrade a weapon if its available and they have the materials, even if its not one of their main weapons? So far it seems like the only real drawback is the cash outlay. It seems like there's not a lot of overlap in terms of rare materials needed. For example I've upgraded the starting GS and LS even though I barely use them, so I'll be able to continue to upgrade things as I get materials (and see what I need for the next weapon).

Or is it best to only upgrade something when you are going to use it and its the best weapon available?

In other words, do you try to min-max by only upgrading 2-3 weapon types, or just dump stuff into upgrades as soon as they are available so you have a deep bench of upgraded weapons?

Yeah, basically; in order for that upgrade to show, you have to have the previous weapon in the upgrade branch available. It's not like armor which requires a key ingredient for them to show up on your list.

And do you have to create it in order for it to be available? Like if there are only 4 weapons in my list, I make one of them (the more powerful one), I will then have 5?

As for Armor, what do you mean by that exactly? When I get a drop from a specific boss it opens up the armor available to craft?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused, according to this page there are supposed to be potential jewels with two slots. However, in my forge list only appears the single slotted jewel. Do I have to "unlock" it first?

Also, there aren't any spirit jewels in the game? Bummer.

Doorman

From opening the tool up, it takes maybe a minute. It's pretty convenent. Would be nice if you didn't have to go to the games title screen on the Wii U though.
Just the news I didn't want to hear. :p

Well...I guess I've got a decision to make between now and when I get off of work tonight, hah.

Proven

And do you have to create it in order for it to be available? Like if there are only 4 weapons in my list, I make one of them (the more powerful one), I will then have 5?

As for Armor, what do you mean by that exactly? When I get a drop from a specific boss it opens up the armor available to craft?

Whenever you get even one piece of what you need to craft a certain armor, you can then check your Forge Armors panel to see what the armor is, what skills it provides, and what else you still need to collect to actually make it. This means that whenever you get a new ore, new bug, or new monster piece (including minor monsters!) you can immediately go see what you would get if you farmed more.

I'm confused, according to this page there are supposed to be potential jewels with two slots. However, in my forge list only appears the single slotted jewel. Do I have to "unlock" it first?

Also, there aren't any spirit jewels in the game? Bummer.

When you get far enough in rank, you can start forging two-slot jewels.

demonkaze

Just about to the do the Ceadeus (sp?) repel fight and was wondering if theres any tips before I do it? I remember it took me an absolute age in tri and i'd like to get it over with as quickly as possible.

DaBoss

Made a Zinogre set, this is pretty much my first set I really cared about skills for (though I did have Attack Up L on the Rathalos set).
d6vdWeo.jpg

I think it would be useful as a general purpose set except for facing Barioth and such.

Just about to the do the Ceadeus (sp?) repel fight and was wondering if theres any tips before I do it? I remember it took me an absolute age in tri and i'd like to get it over with as quickly as possible.

It is pretty much the same as Tri's. As for tips, I'm pretty sure you already know this, but gonna say it anyways, go for the beard first and once you get to the final area, use the ballistas.

Ridley327

Bring a weapon with strong lightning or dragon element, and it should't be an issue.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It is pretty much the same as Tri's. As for tips, I'm pretty sure you already know this, but gonna say it anyways, go for the beard first and once you get to the final area, use the ballistas.

In attention to that, Dash Juice (or Mega Dash Juice) will help you keep pace as you chase him if you find yourself falling behind a lot.

Raide

Man, that was the most tense fighting against Laggycrust. Finally had to down him for good and he kept me running all over the place. At one point I thought "He must be weak now!" only to chase him down and him pop rage mode. Damn scary!

10 mins to go. I got time.
5 mins to go. This thing ain't dying.

After a battle in teh hidden cave, he limps out and I have no idea how long I have. Quickly jumping after him I spawn in front of him before he gets out of the cave. Lvl 4 charged bow whipped out and BAM! in the kisser and the objective box pops up. 55 seconds left on the clock. :D Damn you Laggy!!!

Haunted

• dragon or thunder weapon
  • the beard is a weak spot
  • try to stay below him and swim in the same direction to get more hits in while he's moving, but that also depends on the weapon, obviously
  • as soon as you get to the final phase, immediately use the draginator (what a shit name, btw) so you can maybe get two shots in
  • use the ballistas scattered around the arena

The rest is just having to whittle and grind him down, sorry.

vilmer_

Is this game available to purchase and download digitally? If so I am going to buy it! I've only really dabbled in Monster Hunter games in the past but I really want to give this one a shot.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is this game available to purchase and download digitally? If so I am going to buy it! I've only really dabbled in Monster Hunter games in the past but I really want to give this one a shot.

Yep, on both the Wii U and 3DS eshop's.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
You can do that in high rank already. (time for high rank!!)

But I am already on high rank (both, singleplayer and online quests), yet I can't craft the two-slotted jewel. There are other lvl 2 jewels that show up for me, though.

Could someone on highrank/g-rank confirm, that there is in fact a potential jewel 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom