• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendoza

So I'm thinking about picking up a GS for a while. Any quick noob tips or things I should know?

I've been switching between dual swords and a hammer, and I actually prefer the hammer and its charge specials. I'm finding the dual swords kind of weaksauce in that I don't love having to hit fast combo strings and get lots of quick hits in.

I'm mostly interested in the GS because they look so awesome, but the combat seems interesting too.

Pay special attention to which player (or Shakalaka) the monster is focused on. Most monsters will walk up to their current target slightly before throwing out an attack (unless it dash attacks). When you see that a monster turns to a hunter, and is a decent range away, you can run up parallel to where a monster is going to stop for an attack, and start your charge.

Another way to get some good charge hits is that when you fight any monsters who have a dash attack, and you know that all of its targets are behind it after it dashes, it will always have to turn around to focus on another player or you. This is a great time to run up behind it and start your charge, because it takes a few moments for the monster to turn around, so when it does, it gets a face full of white hot GS.

Once you start to understand the move set of the monsters you fight, you'll be able to predict where they go, and punish with some well timed full-charge swings. Then you will be rewarded with one of the most satisfying feelings in the game.

Keep in mind that when you hold dash, your sheathed X button charge-attack has a faster starting animation then an unsheathed X charge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The bane of a GSer in Tri. Seriously just go hammer on him.

LOL wow, I don't know why I riled myself up so much. With my Wroggi armor it wasn't even fair, totally made him my beyotch. It also helps that Giggi is the most obvious rage moder ever. Capping him never felt so good.

Then I went up against Lagi for the "final showdown," managed to cut his tail (always a major plus for me), and on top of that I capped him too! God this game is like crack.

Can't. Stop. Playing.

Koroviev

I read something about being able to disable "3D mode" in the menu. Is this not an option in the demo?

And how much is the game improved by using the CPP? I tried the demo without it and find it kind of amusing, but I didn't like having to use my thumb to control the pseudo-dpad, hehe.

NeoRausch

so nobody missed me today? pfffttt.. you guys!

my plan for tomorrow: a few high rank agnas and nargas! need to complete my brachy set and up my narga hammer to the next level!

Fewr

Finally, I'm about to fight Rathian for the first time (and get my desired Monster Bone L).

The fight right before unlocking Rathian, against Lagiacrus, left me hungry for blood. I didn't read the quest objective, so I prepared myself for a long hard fight, then suddenly, as I was getting used to its patterns, it was over. Booooo!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol I was randomly mining, got my first Rustshard and this triumphant music played. Wtf?
KuGsj.gif

Anybody want a game going? I'm good for everything, though I could certainly stand to kill some Nibelsnarfs and Rathalos' to make their sets, but I'm down for going as high as anybody wants, I'll need parts for everything eventually. It'd be rad if I could finally move up to Hunter Rank 3 though, I've been compulsively building sets all week instead of moving forward.

First quest on volcano, two rustshards, rusted sword and shield and something else.
It was nice.

Same exact thing happened to me a few days ago, weird.

Not having a good night. Every time I try to join a server thats not full, it becomes full. When I do happen to get into one. The host decides to leave.

Ultratech

You don't; the best you can do is that you can upgrade it so that its defense stats are comparable at non-upgraded levels of the high-rank equivalent, but high-rank armor will always outperform low-rank armor. Tri worked the same way.
This is not true. LR los was way better than high rank.

IIRC, in Tri you could upgrade Low Rank armor to High Rank-type levels. You needed HR parts to do it though.
Say for Lagi armor, the LR set has a ton of Upgrades, then you can upgrade it to HR and upgrade some more.
The defense values for the LR/HR sets maxed the same, you just had different skills between them.

And some LR sets were somewhat better than some HR sets (only a few come to mind, so HR sets were typically better).

Boogiepop

Anyone willing to help me grind some Rathalos talons? And maybe a Gigginox? Found out I need some supplies for a final request before I can fight Cadeus, and I'd prefer to grind with people if possible. I also won't be able to hang out for too long, unfortunately, probably just an hour or so.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just starting online play due to a busy work week (hr 1) but I know what i'm doing (i.e played lots of Tri on Wii).

Free Play 03, Lobby 1.

Room name Hr 1 GAF.

Hit me up of you are keen.

DTM

Edit: More network problems. Sorry

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Hmmm...every time I check my Hunter Notes on the monsters, it's always empty :( How do I get information in there? Also, does it have like a screen shot of the monsters? I'm finding it difficult to remember what the monsters names are, and thus have to rely on Google image search (Hunter noob fail).

DaBoss

Hmmm...every time I check my Hunter Notes on the monsters, it's always empty :( How do I get information in there? Also, does it have like a screen shot of the monsters? I'm finding it difficult to remember what the monsters names are, and thus have to rely on Google image search (Hunter noob fail).

Buy the books the lady sells. You're gonna have to recognize it by the icon lol. I'm sure there is a list with pictures somewhere, if not, I think I may make an image with all the monsters with their names.

My avatar is the icon of 2 particular monsters. :p

I got into high rank quests last night, and it's kinda shitty how long some of these battles take, haha. I also hate how this Duramboros armour I just made is kinda shitty with these pink rathians running around.

I'm up into 7? Star quests now after killing plesioth, so now I'm just trying to figure out what I should farm for armour. I used Wroggi stuff for most of the low rank stuff since I despise poison, but I'm not sure if I want to just farm a new set of the same stuff.

Plus I need to rank up all of my switch axes! Lots of farming ahead!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
A game shouldn't give me Xbox huge ass weapons and then tell me to bring monsters in alive.

That is just cruel.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just starting online play due to a busy work week (hr 1) but I know what i'm doing (i.e played lots of Tri on Wii).

Free Play 03, Lobby 1.

Room name Hr 1 GAF.

Hit me up of you are keen.

DTM

Edit: More network problems. Sorry

I made this room again if anyone is keen. Sorry been having network problems.

I've gotten 5 or so rustshards..

What are their purpose?

They transform into weapons?

Rustshards can turn into Rusted weapons, which can be further upgrades into powerful weapons with Dragon element early on. In G-rank, you get Ancientshards which are even more powerful. Sometimes they just turn into regular weapons that you can buy or craft normally. What you want are the Rusted/Ancient weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom