• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Bring an extra trap and tranq bombs.

Thunderbug + Trap Tool = Shock Trap
Tranquilizer + Bomb Casing = Tranq Bomb
Haha yeah I do usually, forgot the extra tranqs this time. Placed my first trap when Lagi was weak and he decided to change areas straight away. Then had to wait... Trapped him again and missed my first tranq and the trap didn't hold him long enough for a second go! Finally trapped him again as he was sleeping and then realised I was out of tranqs :/ proceeded to rags quit and now about to try again haha.

Proven

Hmmm...every time I check my Hunter Notes on the monsters, it's always empty :( How do I get information in there? Also, does it have like a screen shot of the monsters? I'm finding it difficult to remember what the monsters names are, and thus have to rely on Google image search (Hunter noob fail).

I think you can go to the Gal with the Goods (same one you bought combo books and organizer books from) and she'll have books you can buy about the monsters you've been finding. Haven't bought them myself yet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My first experience with Rathian didn't end well. I died 3 times. 2 were due to poison, one was due to him pinning me down and not being able to get up. Tail just lopped off as poison got the best of me, too.

My first experience with Rathian didn't end well. I died 3 times. 2 were due to poison, one was due to him pinning me down and not being able to get up. Tail just lopped off as poison got the best of me, too.

First, Rathian is a female :p

Also, try not to stay in front of her when she winds up for her backflip.

L Thammy

To those of you who are starting the series for the first time: how do you find the monster difficulty? Are there any that you're struggling with?

I started with Tri. Barioth was a nightmare, it took me a bunch of tries to beat him. I loved hunting him because I had to overcome that hurdle.

He still seems aggressive in Ultimate, so I wonder if anyone else had a similar experience.

Ghost23

To those of you who are starting the series for the first time: how do you find the monster difficulty? Are there any that you're struggling with?

I started with Tri. Barioth was a nightmare, it took me a bunch of tries to beat him. I loved hunting him because I had to overcome that hurdle.

He still seems aggressive in Ultimate, so I wonder if anyone else had a similar experience.

I wasn't having too much trouble until I started higher level quests. I just got a new GS and Rathalos armor, but I am still getting rocked compared to earlier. Is it that my equipment is bad, or the game is just getting more difficult?

yami4ct

Anyone got any tips for taking out Duramboros? The 5-star Single Plater village urgent quest. I'm a Long Sword user and I get him limping, but always end up using all my continues and failing the quest. I'm not sure how to increase my damage on this guy and stop him from getting me. Have tried him 5 or 6 time to no avail. First monster to really give me trouble.

Proven

If you played Tri, low rank will be crazy easy. You won't even know why.

I'm doing high rank tomorrow and will see how things go.

Ken

Anyone got any tips for taking out Duramboros? The 5-star Single Plater village urgent quest. I'm a Long Sword user and I get him limping, but always end up using all my continues and failing the quest. I'm not sure how to increase my damage on this guy and stop him from getting me. Have tried him 5 or 6 time to no avail. First monster to really give me trouble.

Capture him?

Or if you want to kill him his broken humps are his weak points.

Boogiepop

Thanks to whoever was just playing with me online! Got not only the Rath Talons I needed for the village request, but also enough supplies for some Rath Dual Blades!

L00P

My brother's thinking of getting a 3DS and this game so we could play together, but he's been playing the game on my 3DS and I'm not sure if his save file could be transferred to another 3DS. Is the data itself stored on the cart or could it be transferred between SD cards?

I'm googling this shit right now but it doesn't seem to be possible

L Thammy

I wasn't having too much trouble until I started higher level quests. I just got a new GS and Rathalos armor, but I am still getting rocked compared to earlier. Is it that my equipment is bad, or the game is just getting more difficult?

By higher level you mean around five stars? I'm at that point. I think the game really starts to get much harder there. Diablos and Barioth are still very aggressive. Rathalos is sort of a pain.

He has surprisingly high health. Try using a full set of Jaggi armour, set it with attack gems, and add an attack charm if you have it. You can get up to Attack Up (L) that way.

Satch

Banned

Barioth and Gigginox are both very hard for me, even in groups. Plesi and Lagi are hard because I'm not good at fighting underwater. Everything else so far has been difficult initially but manageable. I go back after fighting them once and I'm able to avoid most of their attacks because I know what they do.

It's still a challenging game, but I'm learning more and more every time I fight.

Haunted

I've seen people talk about the Gunnery skill but can't find an accompanying jewel. Did they rename it to Artillery or is that something different? I want the one increasing the damage on my gunlance shots.

Terrible that the decoration/jewel skills aren't explained by the blacksmith. Many are kinda self-explanatory, but still. There's enough unused space on the screen ffs.

oh hi there, jho
I completely forgot he was part of that
6★ Jaggia
quest.

Took me off guard. Again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guild Waifu just asked me to cry on her shoulder. You got it, babe.
AMzq9lr.gif

L Thammy

If you played Tri, low rank will be crazy easy. You won't even know why.

I'm doing high rank tomorrow and will see how things go.

I have an idea of why. I think monsters have lower health and damage, sometimes lower stamina too. Barioth's lost that double claw strike, but Gigginox has gained much more dangerous moves. For some reason.

Duramblos felt like a decent challenge to me. I figure high rank will have more bite to it.

Fistwell

so nobody missed me today? pfffttt.. you guys!

my plan for tomorrow: a few high rank agnas and nargas! need to complete my brachy set and up my narga hammer to the next level!
Oh of course we missed you brah. Ended up doing our HR5 urgents w/ Faust and Gegz, then dipped our toes in G rank. And the water is.... delicious!

If you read this, excellent job tonight Faust and Gegz!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

The Guild lady told me one-star quests are easy (in the second town you can go to). So I say, I'll hunt a Quarecopo(sp?). Anyways, not only is all my armor susceptible to flame, but when I start beating the thing down it decides to call another monster.

...I didn't think that it would be another fucking dragon, much less one far bigger and stronger than the shit I was there to hunt! What the hell?!
Haahahahaaaa! Welcome!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

The Guild lady told me one-star quests are easy (in the second town you can go to). So I say, I'll hunt a Quarecopo(sp?). Anyways, not only is all my armor susceptible to flame, but when I start beating the thing down it decides to call another monster.

...I didn't think that it would be another fucking dragon, much less one far bigger and stronger than the shit I was there to hunt! What the hell?!

Doorman

I have an idea of why. I think monsters have lower health and damage, sometimes lower stamina too. Barioth's lost that double claw strike, but Gigginox has gained much more dangerous moves. For some reason.

Duramblos felt like a decent challenge to me. I figure high rank will have more bite to it.
In my brief experience with him, high rank Barroth seems to feel a bit more like low rank Barroth did in terms of what sort of damage he dealt. He still feels really manageable though. Gigginox, even in low rank, seems to be far more annoying than in Tri, I seem to be getting poisoned with him a lot more often than I used to. Not looking forward to facing THAT in high rank, that's for sure.

It's a damn shame barely anyone does. Considering that 8-4 is great at localization, people should read what NPCs say more often.
Maybe if the text was an actual readable size, I wouldn't be so quick to blow through most of it!

Ken

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

dont believe her lies

guys, dunno if you know, but checking the eshop on the wiiu, there seems to be the tool to play online with you 3ds but it cannot be downloaded yet or I´m having trouble with my conection.

Kyzon

OMG, I didn't know you could cap with sleep coatings! I also didn't know that you could cap after monsters after they escape traps. Farming Dios and he breaks out of the shock trap. 5 seconds later he's under my sleep rain and gets capped.

Sadly after about 5 hours I still didn't get a gem, and only got 2 tails. I need one more for my bow -_-

Where do you get commendations?

Ken

OMG, I didn't know you could cap with sleep coatings! I also didn't know that you could cap after monsters after they escape traps. Farming Dios and he breaks out of the shock trap. 5 seconds later he's under my sleep rain and gets capped.

Sadly after about 5 hours I still didn't get a gem, and only got 2 tails. I need one more for my bow -_-

You can get them from HR5 Jho or Jhen Mohran quest.

I get commendations from Deviljho quests. Also, I think those egg delivery quests will give them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Port Tanzia Guild Chick is definitely second-class, that's for sure.
FuqnPhm.gif

Zornica

Banned
just reached high rank (after 50 hours wasting time by farming everything there was in low rank.)
please don't tell me everything I did is useless now -_- (because the first fight against the pink ludroth kinda felt like it)

Satch

Banned
just reached high rank (after 50 hours wasting time by farming everything there was in low rank.)
please don't tell me everything I did is useless now -_- (because the first fight against the pink ludroth kinda felt like it)

I've made it through most of HR3 with low rank wroggi and it starts to show its vulnerability once you get to the HR3 urgent.

At the moment, I'm selling off my old crap so I can get some better gear.

If you had fun farming in low rank, do it again it high rank. It's not useless if you're using the items and you'll probably need those items you farmed for when you want to make different weapons down the line.

This is how I'm feeling right now. Haha at least the Duramboros armour is pretty damn good so far other than the massively bad fire resist issue.

But I definitely feel like I've got to just basically throw away all that old armour. It really need to level up like the weapons.

njean777

The querpeco is one hard boss. Me and my friend (a complete noob to MH btw) could not kill him to save our lives (I even tried to throw sonic bombs at him when he called for help, but it seemed to not do anything). He ended up summoning some huge dragon to come help him out and I was not prepared for that. Finally picked up the Wii U version as well and will start playing on that tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom