• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

Thanks for the info. Back to capturing Rathians then. "Only" one ruby until the next Rathian set is done (though there seems to be no helm this time ?).
There is a helm. You're likely missing a one of the ingredients (you need
spike+, carapace, marrow and inferno sac
). Good luck on your ruby hunting!

I'm pretty sure no helm is showing up for me, but maybe I just missed it. I'm playing on a SD TV, so text is ... pretty unreadable. Thanks for the info.
Oh I believe you when you say it doesnt show up for you yet. Armor parts don't show up until you pick up some specific parts needed to craft them. Get all the parts in my previous spoiler to make it 100% sure to appear (it does exist).

ramyeon

So, that Playing With Fire quest (the Peco dude). Both the girl and I are in full Jaggi with Jaggi Dual Blades, potions, food ,etc... And all 4 times we attempted him last night this fucking dragon that got loose from Skyrim kept showing up and making it impossible to kill him. Finally said fuck it and started doing the other MP quests and he kept showing up while delivering eggs.

Is this just part of it all the time? Is this why the game is "difficult" because they throw a boss at you that you have no chance of killing while on another mission?

Seriously let down right now. Was really feeling the game earlier, could not wait to play but if this is going to happen every time I don't this game is for me. It just was not fun. We have absolutely no chance of killing both of those and if every quest has this fucking dragon then I don't see how we are supposed to kill the main mission monster.
Throw dung at a monster to make it leave the area. Or throw a sonic bomb when Qurupeco calls for help to stop him doing it.

Forkball

I beat Great Jaggi. TAKE THAT. Does the game say "hey the tutorial is over now" or do you just have to figure it out yourself? So far my favorite weapon is the switchaxe. It has a good mix of range, speed, or power. Most of the other weapons seemed either very weak or very, very slow. I don't know how you're supposed to kill small and quick creatures with something like a great sword. But for switchaxe, I noticed it has something called a phial which gives it powers. How to I refill or switch these?

Fewr

So, that Playing With Fire quest (the Peco dude). Both the girl and I are in full Jaggi with Jaggi Dual Blades, potions, food ,etc... And all 4 times we attempted him last night this fucking dragon that got loose from Skyrim kept showing up and making it impossible to kill him. Finally said fuck it and started doing the other MP quests and he kept showing up while delivering eggs.

Is this just part of it all the time? Is this why the game is "difficult" because they throw a boss at you that you have no chance of killing while on another mission?

Seriously let down right now. Was really feeling the game earlier, could not wait to play but if this is going to happen every time I don't this game is for me. It just was not fun. We have absolutely no chance of killing both of those and if every quest has this fucking dragon then I don't see how we are supposed to kill the main mission monster.
I think you can make dung bombs which when thrown at those other monsters it summons will make them so disgusted they will flee and let you keep fighting the bird. I haven't tried it because I'm doing solo only, and I just rush to hit him as much as possible when it starts singing to interrupt it.

Ah, cool and thanks for the advice. Will try that. Do all monsters call for others? Sould we be constantly looking for a "call" withnthe others?

Should we move on to other quest monsters and come back or is this this the "easier" of the bunch.

Prade

Woah there! Don't give up, man! This is part of the monster hunter experience. The game is letting you know that if you're not prepared, you'll be in for a hard time. In terms of your gear and weapons, you're fine, but let me recommend what items you guys should bring to fight the clown turkey. At the very least:

5 Potions
5 Mega Potions
5 Paintballs
3 Well Done Steaks or Rare if you're not a master chef yet ;)
1 Shock trap
3 Sonic Bombs
3 Dung Bombs
3-5 Tranq Bombs
10 WhetStones
5 Might Seeds

Throw a sonic bomb at him whenever he's calling for something. If you were unable to interrupt the call, and big bad ol Rathian(the dragon) shows up, throw a dung bomb at Peco. Always remember to have him painted too. The shock trap could be used to capture him or for just plain giving him a beat down, that's up to you guys. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I'm loving this game so far, but I think a circle pad pro would push this game over the top for me. Anyone know where to get a cheap CPP for a XL? Playasia's price after shipping was the same as a game. Should I just expect that since they are not sold in NA?

Fewr

Ah, cool and thanks for the advice. Will try that. Do all monsters call for others? Sould we be constantly looking for a "call" withnthe others?

Should we move on to other quest monsters and come back or is this this the "easier" of the bunch.
No, calling other monsters ( at least so far for me) is Qurupeco's special ability.
Qurupeco is not easy, at least not for MH newcomers like you and me. I had more trouble with Royal Ludroth ( a yellow lizard with a lion mane), but I admit Qurupeco was not easy to conquer.

Throw a sonic bomb at him whenever he's calling for something. If you were unable to interrupt the call, and big bad ol Rathian(the dragon) shows up, throw a dung bomb at Peco. Always remember to have him painted too. The shock trap could be used to capture him or for just plain giving him a beat down, that's up to you guys. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
This is a better idea than what I suggested. Use a paintball on the bird to see its location on the map, then if it summons the dragon (Rathian) throw the dung bomb at the bird to make it flee elsewhere, then just chase him and continue the fight. (Much easier than throwing the bomb at the dragon)

ramyeon

I'm loving this game so far, but I think a circle pad pro would push this game over the top for me. Anyone know where to get a cheap CPP for a XL? Playasia's price after shipping was the same as a game. Should I just expect that since they are not sold in NA?
I got mine off eBay for relatively cheap, shipped from Japan.

Prade

Peco seems to be giving a lot of newbies problems. He's pretty much the first wall in this game. Once you get over him though, you'll probably be fine.

Do DLC/Event quests always have unique rewards? If yes, is there a droprate? I always got tickets from doing Streaking with Bullfango and Flooded Forest Free-for-all, but I just did The Dark Demon's Sword and didn't get anything special.

(Well, except for mega potions and listen to some poor kid get screamed at by his mom on the voicechat)

Fistwell

Do DLC/Event quests always have unique rewards? If yes, is there a droprate? I always got tickets from doing Streaking with Bullfango and Flooded Forest Free-for-all, but I just did The Dark Demon's Sword and didn't get anything special.

(Well, except for mega potions and listen to some poor kid get screamed at by his mom on the voicechat)
That throwing knife you got? It aint really a throwing knife.

Resilient

Just had a crazy hunt with a buddy. After playing solo on MHFU for so many years I convinced some buddies to pick this up. They love it, and one has sunk his teeth into it. Anyway we decided to take on Rathian just then and after beating his ass I got poisoned, with little health and no potions. We started going HAM and then we felt he was ready to be caught. With only a few cm of health left I've dropped the trap, and then jumped from 7 to 6 to avoid death; up above my mate threw the bombs and we caught him. So funny, so awesome. He hadn't even started limping. Dat hunters instinct.

That throwing knife you got? It aint really a throwing knife.

Aah, now I see it. Cool looking longsword. Thanks!

I love the idea of events with unique gear. Regrettably I'm constantly broke in this game, so I can't afford to craft as much of the funky side stuff as I'd like...

Kouriozan

So, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, one week after :
sanstitremc.png

Whelp, I think I'm addicted :p

Forkball

Is there a way to get a bigger backpack? I'm always having to store stuff so quickly. What items should I be carrying around all the time?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like there's a new DLC quest coming out in a few days which rewards the ability to forge a new Switch Axe. Nice.

I would enjoy this. That pescopander (sp?) that I crafted is making quick work of most low level monsters, but I would always love a new SA.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there a way to get a bigger backpack? I'm always having to store stuff so quickly. What items should I be carrying around all the time?

Nope - 30 is the limit. And I carry 5 pickaxes, 5 bug nets, and 10 mega potions. I may bring traps, paintballs, etc depending on the quest. Learning what to bring to a given hunt is part of challenge though.

ramyeon

So much money. I'm a poor guy! I rarely have more than 10000z... And I want armorcharm and powercharm...
Upgrade your farm and use it to farm Nulberrys. Sell them off after every 10 quests for like 30,000z. Or do the Kelpi Horn 1 star quest (I think it's called Perscription Pick Up or something along those lines), then make sure you take the 2 Kelpi Horns you get as a reward, do the quest again and just deliver them straight to the box. You can do this over and over getting 800z or so every time.

With the farm and quest rewards I rarely find myself below 100,000z at any given time. And I'm sure it's possible to make a LOT more than that.
I would enjoy this. That pescopander (sp?) that I crafted is making quick work of most low level monsters, but I would always love a new SA.
Yeah Pecospander lasted me awhile. I just upgraded to Lagiacrus' Bolt Axe but the Pecospander+ is actually stronger than that in raw damage :/

Prade

If you're gathering, honestly a couple of potions, bug nets and pick axes is all you need(maybe some whetstones too). When on a hunting quest, prep up as much as you can. See my post last page to get a general idea of what you should always bring on a hunt.

Always:
Potionx10
Megapotionx10
Well done steak
Whetstone

In multi:
Trap
Tranq bombs

As needed:
Cool drink
Hot drink
Antidote

For rustshards/general farming:
Pickaxe, bugnets etc

Qurupeke

Upgrade your farm and use it to farm Nulberrys. Sell them off after every 10 quests for like 30,000z. Or do the Kelpi Horn 1 star quest (I think it's called Perscription Pick Up or something along those lines), then make sure you take the 2 Kelpi Horns you get as a reward, do the quest again and just deliver them straight to the box. You can do this over and over getting 800z or so every time.

With the farm and quest rewards I rarely find myself below 100,000z at any given time. And I'm sure it's possible to make a LOT more than that.
Ah thanks! Time to farm money for the charms!

ramyeon

Equipment management is such a huge part of this game. It can literally be the deciding factor in a hunt. I've gone into hunts with just a few too little rations or something else and failed because of it.

Plus having a bigger bag sounds great but it'd be really inconvenient to switch between items, the less the better. Just make sure you check over what you have/need before heading out.
A Human Becoming said:
To capture monsters do you need to trap them, put them to sleep or both?
Both. Trap it when its weak enough and throw tranq bombs (Usually 2 is enough) to make it sleep and that will capture it. You can get gems to decorate your armour with that can give you the Perception skill as well, this will make the monster's dot on the mini map blink white when it's weak enough to be caught.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you want easy money, do the HR3 event quest. It's ridiculously easy, and you can net about 50k a quest if you sell all of the spoils.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah Pecospander lasted me awhile. I just upgraded to Lagiacrus' Bolt Axe but the Pecospander+ is actually stronger than that in raw damage :/

Elemental damage is probably nice on LI weakness, but raw damage and phial options vs elemental weakness are hard to balance for me still.

DaBoss

omg

im in a hunt right now with a group for brachy and OF ALL THINGS i forgot to bring COLD DRINKS

SMH

Here's a tip for anyone who forgot cold drinks at the Volcano. Bring a Powderstone to the elder and he will give one to you. May annoy other players since you're leaving.

In very difficult quests, particularly G-Rank ones:
Potions
Mega Potions
Well-Done Steaks
Honey
Herb
Blue Mushroom
Tranq Bombs
Both Traps
Max Potion

As needed:
Whetstones
Ammo + materials
Antidote/Nullberry/Cleanse/Deodorant
Cold/Hot Drinks

Prade

To capture monsters do you need to trap them, put them to sleep or both?

Wait until you see a limp on a monster. When you do, wait for it to zone and lay the trap in the new zone it went into. Once it's lured into it, throw 2-3 tranq bombs. Then gotcha, Great Jaggi was caught! Give it a nick name?

Prade

Here's a tip for anyone who forgot cold drinks at the Volcano. Bring a Powderstone to the elder and he will give one to you. May annoy other players since you're leaving.

Eh, I don't recommend this at all. Apologize for your nubness and just ask politely for some. It's a common thing to happen, so they shouldn't get THAT upset. I'm always handing out some cools/hots to my monhun bros.

Haunted

Empty your inventory after each quest.

The absolute bare minimum you should always take with you are [Mega] Potions, Whetstones and Pickaxes.

Add Bug nets and Harpoons if you want to gather.

Add Paintballs, Bombs and Traps if you want to hunt.

When you start high rank quests, you also need to worry about bringing your own stamina replenishers (steaks or energy drinks), Antidotes and Hot/Cool drinks.

If you want easy money, do the HR3 event quest. It's ridiculously easy, and you can net about 50k a quest if you sell all of the spoils.
Ooh, seriously? That's a lot. Which quest is that exactly? I dumped the 100k I saved up into new armour and weapons yesterday.

Troblin

Is there any way to sell the nullberries in mass, or can you only sell 10 at a time ? (can you sell from your stash, or only inventory capacity).

L00P

So I spent over an hour trying to get a couple of Gobul fins. I finally found em, but now I can't remember why I needed them @_@

And is Nibelsnarf immune to traps? It just walks over a pitfall trap without giving a fuck and it doesn't seem to trigger the thing. It seems to be that way with shock traps as well but I'm not so sure.

Twinduct

Man can't wait for my CCPXL to come. Played like three hours last night and I can't close my hands without some pain today :<

Really enjoying it though. Didn't have a classic controller for Tri and the waggle made the game annoying for me.

muu

So I spent over an hour trying to get a couple of Gobul fins. I finally found em, but now I can't remember why I needed them @_@

And is Nibelsnarf immune to traps? It just walks over a pitfall trap without giving a fuck and it doesn't seem to trigger the thing. It seems to be that way with shock traps as well but I'm not so sure.

Set up a large barrel bomb and line it up so he eats it during his attacks. Fish him out when he's struggling with digestive problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom