• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Not sure what you talking about, but the powderstone quest is easy.

Raise your health bar (eat, Max Potion, Nutrient, etc), raise your stamina bar (well done steak, etc) use a cool drink, and run for your life.

You can eat Fish + Dairy (Steam or Fry) to try to get the Felyne Lander skill.

Felyne Lander: Prevents stumbling when jumping down from high places. Won't break eggs/powderstones.

High Rank: HR9 (Moga), HR5 (Tanzia).

G Rank: HR7 (Tanzia)

So I could already get to him online. Hmmmm....

Kyzon

Exactly! He seems to poison really slowly, so trying to keep him down is hard. I took every coating my bow could handle to see what happens and I still cannot seem to down him quick enough. The slow swim speed does not help. Currently trying to grind a bit but I only have this and Powderstones left to do lol.

As for charging, anything less that a lvl 1 is pointless since its only 40% and it effects coatings too. I use the lvl 4 pierce on the Raptor bow (I think its that one) and try to fire right through but I don't think it is that effective in the long run.

Did you ever cap the Lagi? If i remember correctly, you use a bow that hits focus. Try to hit him with a bunch of lob shots that go through his head and deploy directly into his chest, make sure to bring 2 traps, and materials to make about two more. Trap him once in whatever trap you have, then use your focus directly on it's head. You should get him near a knock out. Keep focusing on his head or use another trap to lay him out. After that, if your aim has been true the entire hunt he should be near limping or limping. When he goes back to area 10, just take pot shots till he leaves to go up to area 11. Wait about a minute and a half so he goes to sleep. Sneak in, set up a shot and if you have sleep coating que that up. Bombard him with that, and stand behind the trap. He'll run into the trap and instant capture.

Prade

Am I a douche for abandoning quests because people keep lance charging/GS upswining me? When other weapons mess me up, (superpounds and LS's) I let it fly because it is what it is, but with those aforementioned moves? I CAN"T STAND IT. I also don't say anything other than "..." so they can hopefully catch my drift, but NOPE. STILL GONNA KEEP FUCKING YOU OVER WITH MY TERRIBLE DPS MOVE, LOL.

Proven

If only the text didn't look like ass, I would be inclined to read it on my 3DS.
You know if you go to options from the main menu (have to quit the game first) you can change the rendering to turn 3D off, which helps the text look a smidgen better.

OMG, I didn't know you could cap with sleep coatings! I also didn't know that you could cap after monsters after they escape traps. Farming Dios and he breaks out of the shock trap. 5 seconds later he's under my sleep rain and gets capped.

Sadly after about 5 hours I still didn't get a gem, and only got 2 tails. I need one more for my bow -_-

Where do you get commendations?
Woah, woah, woah, woah, why hasn't anyone commented on this? You can use sleep instead of tranqs to cap a monster? Confirmation?

Man, I love how quickly duramboros goes down when I use a bow with focus.
Destroys the hump absolutely.

Something I've noticed about bows for those who use them. The blast shot. People don't seem to know alot about them. I believe them to be amazing for single player hunts. They do damage as they go through the body, then when they explode they output damage about a foot or so away from the edge of the flame animation. The explosion damage is similar to bombs. They are great for hitting multiple parts at the same time. Especially for enemies that have weak bellies close to the ground.

So to sum it up. They're like an above the head Pierce Shot with a barrel bomb attached.
Quite amazing to me. Especially if you hit something like a sleeping monster with it where it will do massive damage to each part it hits as opposed to the other types of lob which the first pellet only does enhance damage to sleepers.
I figured blast does normal (explosive) damage, but I need to experiment more with it before I agree with you. The only reason I haven't is because most bows I've managed to craft and use are Wide or Focus.

Mupod

Some weapons are easier to use underwater than others. IMO, Longswords are ideal underwater.

I used to use LS underwater myself, but I think a lance would do well in the flooded forest. His attacks are hard to dodge but on the other hand he's stuck in close range with you most of the time.

Anyways I just captured an Azure Rathalos in moga woods and got 3 6* commodities. Holy balls.

Am I a douche for abandoning quests because people keep lance charging/GS upswining me? When other weapons mess me up, (superpounds and LS's) I let it fly because it is what it is, but with those aforementioned moves? I CAN"T STAND IT. I also don't say anything other than "..." so they can hopefully catch my drift, but NOPE. STILL GONNA KEEP FUCKING YOU OVER WITH MY TERRIBLE DPS MOVE, LOL.

Nope. I used to do this in Tri because when someone messes up your GS charge moves because of their stupidity, you get pissed.

I don't like getting disrupted by anything though.

Loved Volvidon - bit too easy but I liked his range of moves and speed. Will fight again.

Would prefer if his tongue was used and his thunder attack was bot just an invitation to roll in and attack lol.

Better than Duramboros who whilst really cool; has one or two moments that felt like cheating to me.

Napophis

How does one rank up their HR?

Went online for the first time last night and we did all the hunts, then i got the urgent quest for Laggy, which we did but it didn't rank me up, is it cause i haven't done the Harvesting/Delivery/Small Monster quests? Asking cause the guy i played with said you didn't need those to rank up, but then why wouldn't i have gone up to HR2?

Also my urgent quest doesn't have a check mark, which i also find odd as it counted for 3 of the 4 ppl

Lucid07

Went online for the first time last night and we did all the hunts, then i got the urgent quest for Laggy, which we did but it didn't rank me up, is it cause i haven't done the Harvesting/Delivery/Small Monster quests? Asking cause the guy i played with said you didn't need those to rank up, but then why wouldn't i have gone up to HR2?

Also my urgent quest doesn't have a check mark, which i also find odd as it counted for 3 of the 4 ppl

To HR up you have to initiate the quest and others join. Plus there are only set quests you have to do to unlock the urgent.

Haunted

Mindblown if true: you can skip the monster death scene's by pressing the + button? Can anyone confirm?
It's true.
You never did this on Tri?
WHAT

my life is a lie

how did I play this game for hundreds of hours and not know

MbTTDZS.gif

likeGdid

Have you guys found a fast and easy way to get money? I'm up to 5 star village quests but I keep finding myself broke after upgrading/forging.

I've generally been doing the Arzuros capture quest for 2400z and can finish up in about 3-5 minutes, but its gotten pretty tiring.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, only the person who initiates ranks up. My group did Lagi four times last night because of that. We were able to get him down in under ten minutes by the end

Prade

Nope. I used to do this in Tri because when someone messes up your GS charge moves because of their stupidity, you get pissed.

I don't like getting disrupted by anything though.

Again, getting superpounded once or twice doesn't really bother me. The head is the hammer's so it is what it is.

Koroviev

I don't have the cpp to compare with, but I've been toying the idea of buying one. Personally between my 3DS, psp and Vita I find the 3ds much more comfortable to hold long term. I only have the og3DS too. I've heard the XL being bigger while having the same resolution looks decent, while others prefer the smaller screen of the 3DS. Like I said, I just have an og3DS, but I find it pretty comfy on its own. The virtual Dpad is pretty nice, but I still kinda play similar to how I did unite. Treating it as single stick.

In any case the game is worth picking up, I guarantee it.

EDIT:Swimming, fuck swimming lol. No easy way to get used to it.

The XL is by all means designed better, but getting one means sacrificing IQ in 2D games.

Kyzon

Woah, woah, woah, woah, why hasn't anyone commented on this? You can use sleep instead of tranqs to cap a monster? Confirmation?

I figured blast does normal (explosive) damage, but I need to experiment more with it before I agree with you. The only reason I haven't is because most bows I've managed to craft and use are Wide or Focus.

Yessir, while playing last night we trapped a monster to just finish it off quickly near the end of the hunt. I hit it with 3 focus rains and boom quest complete. A pleasant surprise.

I've been using blast as my main offline bow. Online it's not as good since the explosion is worse than upswings. I have had great luck blowing monsters to smithereens, and causing stumbling chains with it. Also, I'm using the Arca Raptora (sp?) so it has a nice 200something base power that multiplies beautifully.

Proven

Yessir, while playing last night we trapped a monster to just finish it off quickly near the end of the hunt. I hit it with 3 focus rains and boom quest complete. A pleasant surprise.

I've been using blast as my main offline bow. Online it's not as good since the explosion is worse than upswings. I have had great luck blowing monsters to smithereens, and causing stumbling chains with it. Also, I'm using the Arca Raptora (sp?) so it has a nice 200something base power that multiplies beautifully.

I'll have to try the sleep stuff myself later.

Also, the Arca Raptora is just a beaut to begin with.

I used to use LS underwater myself, but I think a lance would do well in the flooded forest. His attacks are hard to dodge but on the other hand he's stuck in close range with you most of the time.

Anyways I just captured an Azure Rathalos in moga woods and got 3 6* commodities. Holy balls.
Lances are also very good under water. I just don't recommend SnS or GS. It's hard to measure GS angles under water, and SnS attacks slow under water for some reason (wtf?). Hammers aren't bad.

Raide

Finally! Laggi captured!!!!

Did some grinding for the Arko Unu Lightning Bow and I downed him much quicker this time. Also having Kayumba and ChaCha on Support duties and not fighting really helped out.

Blitzhex

Best method to get a Rathian plate? 2% drop rate is super low

I got it from a shiny drop from when it was eating. The best way to get it would probably be to have it eat twice, cut off its tail, you can get it out of a tail carve and then capture it. I think there's a higher chance of getting it in the quest rewards if you capture it.

Edit: Wait, I was thinking about Rathalos. The same probably applies to Rathian.

Fewr

I got it from a shiny drop from when it was eating. The best way to get it would probably be to have it eat twice, cut off its tail, you can get it out of a tail carve and then capture it. I think there's a higher chance of getting it in the quest rewards if you capture it.

Edit: Wait, I was thinking about Rathalos. The same probably applies to Rathian.
Thanks, I'm picking up one shiny, carving tail and capturing. I should get it sooner or later then.

Boogiepop

So, if I found two Rustshards, does that mean I don't have a cursed table? What is it that a cursed table can't get again? I haven't really looked into it or been too concerned yet, but it would be nice if mine wasn't terrible.

Ridley327

So, if I found two Rustshards, does that mean I don't have a cursed table? What is it that a cursed table can't get again? I haven't really looked into it or been too concerned yet, but it would be nice if mine wasn't terrible.

They can't get Rustshards, so you're doing just fine!

I tried the demo for 3DS. Pretty meh. Tried sword & shield and greatsword. Is there anything more to the actual combat (as opposed to preparing for combat) than the two or three attacks available?

Fewr

I tried the demo for 3DS. Pretty meh. Tried sword & shield and greatsword. Is there anything more to the actual combat (as opposed to preparing for combat) than the two or three attacks available?
This is no god of war if that is your question. I'd say it's a fighting game + roguelike + mega man, if I had ro choose this game's genre.

Couple questions:

How long is this game without any online component? (I'd get it for 3DS and I don't have any friend who play)

What are the differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions?
I have both versions, but I've only been using the 3ds version so far. I just checked, and saw I have played for 53hrs. I think I've barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer. When people here told me they spend 900+ hrs in these games, I now see it wasn't a joke.

3ds has streetpass, unreadable text and local multiplayer (online through wii u only). Wii U has online multiplayer, pro controller support, and super tiny text. Apart from that, it's exactly the same content (even if you dont plan to do any multiplayer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom