• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

Good hunts tonight Euro-GAF, Gegz, Faust, Weird (yes, you too), Elda-something, etc. Dble brachy going down tomorrow.

I can finally fight Lagiacrus, thing is I just made a long sword with lightning damage. Lagi also doses lightning damage so I'm wondering, am I boned?

How do elemental strengths/weaknesses work in this game?
Check out the "Elemental damage" table over here. The higher the number, the greater the effect. Lagiacrus laughs at your lightning. Raw damage is still in effect however.

I can finally fight Lagiacrus, thing is I just made a long sword with lightning damage. Lagi also does lightning damage so I'm wondering, am I boned?

Ken

I need to complete all these canteen quests sometime.

I can finally fight Lagiacrus, thing is I just made a long sword with lightning damage. Lagi also doses lightning damage so I'm wondering, am I boned?

From MH3 wiki for Tri.

[ATP x TYPE x SHARP x HITZONE / CLASS]
+ [ELEMENT x SHARP x ELMZONE / 10] = DAMAGE

ELMZONE = the elemental weakness of the monster's zone to an element. So if it's 0s across the board you won't be doing any elemental damage but still doing raw damage.

Lagi takes 0 from water and thunder across his entire body. 15 fire to head though.

Forkball

I prefer hunting over capturing. It took me like five tries to capture that bear because I kept killing it or I wasted my traps. I know you're supposed to wait until it's limping, but one time it limped, I trapped it, threw five tranqs at it and it still didn't go down. I had to run back to base to get more.

Speaking of that, being able to only carry one of each trap is awful. If you mess up with that trap you've screwed yourself.

Ken

you can bring in an additional 2 trap tools

1x shock trap
1x pitfall trap
2x trap tools + thunderbugs or nets

4 traps

burgerdog

I prefer hunting over capturing. It took me like five tries to capture that bear because I kept killing it or I wasted my traps. I know you're supposed to wait until it's limping, but one time it limped, I trapped it, threw five tranqs at it and it still didn't go down. I had to run back to base to get more.

Speaking of that, being able to only carry one of each trap is awful. If you mess up with that trap you've screwed yourself.

You can always get perception to know exactly when you're able to capture. I feel like it's a lot easier for me to capture a monster now, with or without the skill.

Lokbob

Got the game today, started playing and thought after a while - damn im sleepy, after watching at the clock i realised its 5am already...
Iv'e probably played like 15 hours today and the time just flew by.

ramyeon

You've just gotta think outside the box, as Ken said, you can bring materials and have more traps if necessary. Also like burgerdog said the Perception gems can give you Capture Guru as a skill that will tell you exactly when it's ready to be captured. Capturing becomes so much easier once you get used to it. I failed a lot at first but almost always get them on the first go now.

Sanic

Got the game today, started playing and thought after a while - damn im sleepy, after watching at the clock i realised its 5am already...
Iv'e probably played like 15 hours today and the time just flew by.

I have no idea how people do this :p

Even on the weekends my time isn't so empty that I can just be completely unaware of what time it is.

From MH3 wiki for Tri.

[ATP x TYPE x SHARP x HITZONE / CLASS]
+ [ELEMENT x SHARP x ELMZONE / 10] = DAMAGE

ELMZONE = the elemental weakness of the monster's zone to an element. So if it's 0s across the board you won't be doing any elemental damage but still doing raw damage.

Lagi takes 0 from water and thunder across his entire body. 15 fire to head though.

Oh, cool. So I can still do my raw damage. Is the 100 or whatever it is elemental damaged factored into that or is 396 raw + 100 lightning (where applicable)?

Fewr

I can finally fight Lagiacrus, thing is I just made a long sword with lightning damage. Lagi also does lightning damage so I'm wondering, am I boned?

I'm at the same spot in the game. I will be crafting the gigginox armor just to learn to hunt it, then after that I'll do Lagiacrus using the Windeater long sword. It's got decent power, and no elemental damage (don't have acess to a fire LS yet).

mr stroke

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow. Is it too late to start playing?

Meaning everyone will be too leveled and multi will be barren for noobs?

Ultratech

Nah, there's plenty of rooms for people doing early stuff.

Though most I saw today were full.

So you shouldn't have much issues.

RobbieNick

Came from Wondercon today where Capcom's biggest portion of their booth is dedicated to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. They were handing out MH posters, Lanyards and Cha-Cha (and the other one who's name escapes me) masks to folks who play the demo. Hell, Capcom was giving away a poster for every game shown. DuckTales, Darkstalkers, Remember Me and a ton of others.

XAgHbRv.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WOW at Barioth's hipcheck. Goddamn, what an annoying little flying minx (as a GS user.) Thankfully he seems to tire out pretty quickly.

Not a fan of how taking out
Duramboros for Kayamba
didn't mark it as completed on the actual quest list, like every other Urgent Quest. =/ Oh well, Duro is fun so I took him out without much complaint.

Got carted for the second time in the game so far with Rathian, just got caught up in a string of his rage mode animations. Was very satisfying breaking his wings, breaking his face, chopping his tail, and then finally capping him. No plate though, ah well. Too early to rage about drop rates. :p

Came from Wondercon today where Capcom's biggest portion of their booth is dedicated to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. They were handing out MH posters, Lanyards and Cha-Cha (and the other one who's name escapes me) masks to folks who play the demo. Hell, Capcom was giving away a poster for every game shown. DuckTales, Darkstalkers, Remember Me and a ton of others.

That's a 100% copy of their dedicated MH booth at PAX. :)

I still haven't gotten that far, personally. And I believe the barometer (according to GAF) is a nice, full set of armor and a Barroth(Barioth?) kill. I'm going for the second part of that.

Busaiku

Man, Duramboros was giving me some real problems.
The main reason was because I wasn't sure where it went when it decided to dig away.

By the time I found it, it dug away again...

I wish Capcom removed the weapon class modifier like in P3rd, even if it'll make people ask "why use a slower weapon with the same attack power?".

I'm playing a different Monster Hunter game, but whatever, this thread is active and surely they are not that different.

Fighting something for a good 30 minutes and then dying is discouraging. The obvious thing to do would be to upgrade my weapons and armor, but I can't get the materials I need because it's either something from the same monster I can't beat, or something else from a creature I haven't even seen yet.

So it's pretty easy to feel completely stuck.

Hattori

Banned
Man, Duramboros was giving me some real problems.
The main reason was because I wasn't sure where it went when it decided to dig away.

By the time I found it, it dug away again...
Use the fluffy mask, it'll alleviate this annoyance and you don't have to carry paintballs

ramyeon

Oh man Ratholos, Barioth and Diablos were all such pushovers. Sped through all three with my Lagi set and Pecospander+. The Caedeus quest, however, didn't open up. I repaired the ancient mask, do I need to do anything else?
Anyone have an idea of what to do next?

I need one Lagiacrus plate for my bolt switch axe.... I really don't want to try and get it :'(

I guess I'm taking my pecospander down the sparqlepeco line! Gotta have a thunder weapon.

ramyeon

I need one Lagiacrus plate for my bolt switch axe.... I really don't want to try and get it :'(

I guess I'm taking my pecospander down the sparqlepeco line! Gotta have a thunder weapon.
Pecospander is better for that point anyway. I got the bolt axe but switched back over to Pecospander+ for higher raw damage. Hopefully I can upgrade the bolt axe soon.

Pecospander is better for that point anyway. I got the bolt axe but switched back over to Pecospander+ for higher raw damage. Hopefully I can upgrade the bolt axe soon.

What point?

I'm in the 7 star high rank quests now, I'm just upgrading all my old weapons to get them up to par for high rank stuff.

Oh okay yeah I assumed you were around the 5 star quests when the bolt axe first becomes available lol.

Nope! Have the bolt axe already, never used it cause like you said the pecospander+ is so good.

I was having a hard time choosing between qurupexspander and the sparqlepeco, but since I know that Lagiacrus plate is so fucking random I'm gonna have to go Sparqlepeco so that I can have a thunder weapon.

What extra sucks though, is looking at the high bolt axe mats I think I could upgrade my bolt axe twice if I had one stupid plate.

Edit: currently loving this Grior Landmaker. Poison all over the place!

yami4ct

Broke through my Duramboros wall on my second try of the day today. What an epic, awesome fight. As frustrating as it got, it was the best feeling when I actually took him out.

Also captured a Rathalos today. Not going to lie, that fight was pretty disappointing. For all the "King of the Skies" build up, he was kind of super easy. He was fairly weak, easy to break pieces and easy to dodge. All it took was making sure not to get hit from his massively damaging attacks and then poking him with my thunder long sword.

On another Rathalos note, I didn't get a single damn shell for my Fire Long Sword. Grrrrrr! Guess it's good he's easy as I'll be fighting him a few more times, haha.

Giggi. Just go find a Giggi nest/sac thing and keep killign them as they come out.

Having rank 10 armor takes some of the excitement out of making rank 9 stuff. :(
That's you. For the life of me I couldn't remember where I got my originals and the Google as well as the guide failed me miserably

DoubleTap

I hit my wall trying to capture Lagi. When does Cha-cha comeback? I managed to get him to go to land in area 5 but I was out of potions at that point. It seems easier to fight him on the water's surface so he can't go on top of me when he decides to go swimming.

yami4ct

I hit my wall trying to capture Lagi. When does Cha-cha comeback? I managed to get him to go to land in area 5 but I was out of potions at that point. It seems easier to fight him on the water's surface so he can't go on top of me when he decides to go swimming.

You get a new Cha-Cha right after the next urgent after killing Lagi. You get the old one after doing a quest in the next set. Honestly, I'd wait on the Cpa Lagi quest until you have at least one Chaka back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom