• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Is she logged into the Wii U with her own NNID or did she make a character in MH3U in an extra slot while you were logged in?

the latter, if I make it into a seperate NNID will that work?

also

>me and friend have a super hard time with rathalos
>finally defeat it in epic combat
>find out the longsword upgrade I wanna make requires Rathalos items
>have to fight 2 or more of those things solo

SHIEEEET

Where do you fight Rathian in the first solo hunt quest? After the intro the fool disappears into the sky. I searched for more than 10 minutes before giving up lol

robot

Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to "free roam" an area other than the Moga Woods? Right now the only way to visit other areas is to take on a quest. Is that something that unlocks later on?

I've really been wanting this game for a while now. I put over 400 hours into Tri and I want this game so badly! However, I only have a 3DS right now. So my question is:

Is there any difference between the retail and digital versions of the game? Digital is currently cheaper for me and more convenient, but are there loading time differences?

Morokh

Must have killed Lagiacrus 20 times yet, and I still have a hard time avoiding his attacks and finding openings to attack him xD

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Must have killed Lagiacrus 20 times yet, and I still have a hard time avoiding his attacks and finding openings to attack him xD

Glad it's not just me, then. My friend said he goes against him with a bow to avoid having to get too close. Maybe that's the smart way to deal with him...

ramyeon

Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to "free roam" an area other than the Moga Woods? Right now the only way to visit other areas is to take on a quest. Is that something that unlocks later on?
Harvest Tour quests are the equivalent of free hunts, but without the large monsters. A lot of those will inhabit the Moga Woods after beating them.

Mupod

I've fought it way more than that and I still have no idea how to avoid the double rage mode hipcheck underwater, short of using a blocking weapon.

I find Ivory Lagi very easy though.

ramyeon

I've fought it way more than that and I still have no idea how to avoid the double rage mode hipcheck underwater, short of using a blocking weapon.

I find Ivory Lagi very easy though.
Weird, I very rarely get hit by Lagi. Although when I do he usually manages to leave my character dazed which is a pain :/

yami4ct

also

>me and friend have a super hard time with rathalos
>finally defeat it in epic combat
>find out the longsword upgrade I wanna make requires Rathalos items
>have to fight 2 or more of those things solo

SHIEEEET

Had the exact opposite experience. Beat Rathalos really easily. It was sort of disappointing to me. On the other hand, didn't get a single shell for that long sword I'm making as well.

Satch

Banned
im in a group of four right now using swax so i can cut some zinogre tails, and the guy using hammer is trying to cut the tail (????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????), so the guy is upswinging me to the sun and beyond

so when i play hammer and try to wail on the head, there's a longsword trying to do it too

when i play switchaxe and try to cut tails, there's a hammer trying to do it too

why do the people playing this game hate me?

im in a group of four right now using swax so i can cut some zinogre tails, and the guy using hammer is trying to cut the tail (????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????), so the guy is upswinging me to the sun and beyond

so when i play hammer and try to wail on the head, there's a longsword trying to do it too

when i play switchaxe and try to cut tails, there's a hammer trying to do it too

What else do you think we sharpen our hammers for?

Mileena

Banned

just had a dual swords guy all up in my zinogre head, he got the idea after a couple launches and upswings

STAY AWAY FROM MY HEAD

Garou

Any tips for Lagiacrus? I'm fighting him for the solo Urgent. I can't even get close to him without him smacking me.

His pattern is simple, he attacks, stops, rotates to his next target and attacks again. Just wait for him stopping after an attack and you are good for one hit. Ideally from above his head, it's safer there plus you should aim for breaking his horns. Patience is key, if his attack stops far from you just wait for the next attack and don't try to get close to him while he prepares for the next one. I farmed him the other day and was able to down him alone in the village in around 10 minutes with the tuna-sword.

After the urgent quest where you finally kill Lagi, do I now have to do the capture quest for him in order to move on? I really hate capture quests and have been mostly ignoring them...

Kuntz

Tried the first hr quest with eu newb gaf, dual jaggis. no difference with low rank.
But I have seen in the list something I didn't want to... Plesioth... oh my god how I hated this one on my psp, hope the new hitboxes make it better.

Hip check nightmares are coming back :(

Garou

After the urgent quest where you finally kill Lagi, do I now have to do the capture quest for him in order to move on? I really hate capture quests and have been mostly ignoring them...

Capturing is easier and faster than killing and gives better loot. The only problem with the Lagiacrus one is the map and its small areas.

Grab an egg from area 8 and she'll come to you

Got it. Thanks

I had a longsword equipped with a sliver of green sharpness so it was a bigger pain in the ass than it had to be. Managed to get its tail in the end to boot

Just clocked 40 hours according to the Activity Log :O

Fistwell

Good job on dble brachy urgent(s) Gegz! Man, I'm so close to wrapping up a narga Z set it fucking hurts. Kinda sick and tired of running around in jho.

Edit: lol, actually, make that narga X.

Fewr

Got it. Thanks

I had a longsword equipped with a sliver of green sharpness so it was a bigger pain in the ass than it had to be. Managed to get its tail in the end to boot

Just clocked 40 hours according to the Activity Log :O
I used the chainslaughter long sword to fight her. I think at 3/4 of the fight the sword goes yellow, but I keep on fighting, no ned for whetstones here.

demonkaze

Guys, any Dual Blades tips for Ceadeus? My brother is trying him now and cant get him to area 3 despite attacking his beard constantly.

DaBoss

Tried the first hr quest with eu newb gaf, dual jaggis. no difference with low rank.
But I have seen in the list something I didn't want to... Plesioth... oh my god how I hated this one on my psp, hope the new hitboxes make it better.

Hip check nightmares are coming back :(

Don't worry, hitboxes are fixed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I think I'm going to use the Great Sword. I think I like using that the most so far.

Having said that... Bone or Iron path?

Seems like the Iron Sword path has swords with elements for Water, Thunder, Dragon, and Ice without needing a skill to active them; Bone Blade path has Fire, Slime, Poison, Dragon, Water, and Ice. Can't really tell much of a difference otherwise.

Bone Blade has the Siegmund line which has fantastic affinity, but Iron Sword has the Avidya Great Sword with a whopping 40% affinity as well (best ever for a GS.) Hard to say.

Look at the tree and decide for yourself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Seems like the Iron Sword path has swords with elements for Water, Thunder, Dragon, and Ice without needing a skill to active them; Bone Blade path has Fire, Slime, Poison, Dragon, Water, and Ice. Can't really tell much of a difference otherwise.

Bone Blade has the Siegmund line which has fantastic affinity, but Iron Sword has the Avidya Great Sword with a whopping 40% affinity as well (best ever for a GS.) Hard to say.

Look at the tree and decide for yourself.

What effect does affinity have?

/200 hours of Tri and still don't know too much :(

Emitan

I'm in High Rank now but still wearing basic Wroggi armor. Should I bother upgrading it with armor spheres (it's unupgraded) or just make the high rank version instead?

Can someone explain how the phial system works with switch axe? I've been using this weapon now for 80 hours and I still don't understand how it works.

All I know about switch axes is I seem to be able to poison stuff a hell of a lot, and when I'm in sword mode I don't bounce off stuff, which seems awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom