• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

I passed my first wall (goddamned Pink Rathian that can change direction mid air now), now on 7 stars. This game has me by the balls, it's already my most played 3DS game.

vareon

The game's mechanic is almost the same as MHTri, right? Like, if I watched a video of someone fighting a monster in MHTri, I can use the same strategy?

Man, I was starting to worry about all of the monsters being pushovers in low rank village, then I met Duramboros. I am now affectionately calling him Ryan Howard because he hit a towering shot to deep center that went clear over the waterfall. Of course, I was the baseball in this situation.

Duramboros is so fun to fight with friends. Always laughed when he started spinning.

ramyeon

The game's mechanic is almost the same as MHTri, right? Like, if I watched a video of someone fighting a monster in MHTri, I can use the same strategy?

Duramboros is so fun to fight with friends. Always laughed when he started spinning.
His spin is so easy to avoid it's hilarious. He gives way too many signals about which move he's going to use next.

Clunker

This thread is actually pretty good, most people helps if you ask nicely. And everyone I know seems to make a Jaggi armor set for their first time, so that might be the best armor to start.
Hey, I was just coming in to ask this. :D

I am a new convert to Mon Hun; I tried the series on PSP and it didn't grab me, but I think the overgushing of love/respect from the Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play - combined with general hype from here - pushed me to try again. I'm about 7 hours in, have killed my first two Great Jaggis, and I think it's starting to make sense.

Now that I think of the game as a series of escalating boss battles with low-key resource runs in between, it kind of clicks for me. Before, I was just running around collecting random resources and working my way through basic quests in order, but now that I'm focusing on certain monsters to take down and building armor sets (built a full chain mail set, now working toward a Jaggi set) for skills, it feels like I have more concrete goals to work toward.

Just got my first trapping quest and I have no idea how to go about doing it, so I'l have I figure out. I'm on 3DS, so I am pretty bummed about lack of online, but I figure if I'm still into the series then I'll be ready for MH4.

Chaos

Hey, I was just coming in to ask this. :D

Just got my first trapping quest and I have no idea how to go about doing it, so I'l have I figure out. I'm on 3DS, so I am pretty bummed about lack of online, but I figure if I'm still into the series then I'll be ready for MH4.

When the mob limps into the next area follow them in then deploy trap and when its trapped hit with tranq bombs.

Forkball

Upgraded to the Rathian switchaxe. It's pretty great, certainly a noticeable upgrade. It's pretty amusing to see Great Jaggi go down so quickly now. I've been testing out different monsters online and man, that Durambos guy does not want to go down. Not sure what armor to build next, I've just been upgrading my current armor because I don't have nearly enough mats for everything else. I hate it when you're trying to build a set from one monster but then you need some random, unrelated mat from a different one.

Brannon

Barroth Z set completed. I'm looking for a +4 or +5 Hearing Talisman so I can get High Grade Earplugs instead of Adrenaline +2.

BarrothZ1.png

BarrothZ2.png

How do you capture the images?

So I just started messing around with the 3ds version coming over from wii u. What do people put on the bottom screen. Feels like virtual d-pad and monster focus are musts. Anything else?

Fewr

The map is useful on the bottom screen.

I have:
Top Left: Map
Top Right: Dpad
Bottom Left: Monster Focus
Bottom Right: Don't have a particular use for that space, I change it constantly (gestures, combine, items)

---------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: For any Mexicans out there:
576584_560226114011977_1348477865_n.jpg

Neo C.

Offline play with cousin. Monhun never disappoints. Intense fight against rathalos+, we've lost. :(
Next time he won't be victorious.

Moved my health stuff to the bottom screen as my two travellers were bloating up the screen!
So my Map is now on top, underneath:

- D-Pad (Bottom Right)
- Items (Top Left)
- Lock On (Bottom Left)
- Health (Top Left)

Kind of wish I could keep my map below but no luck.

JoV

I picked this up over the weekend. Its very strange, a little hard to get into but am enjoying what I have seen so far. Just done the few resource gathering quests so far. Want to get some upgrades before tackling my first real monster battle.

RMI

Banned
I picked this up over the weekend. Its very strange, a little hard to get into but am enjoying what I have seen so far. Just done the few resource gathering quests so far. Want to get some upgrades before tackling my first real monster battle.

I would recommend going through the Moga Village quests until you get to the Great Jaggi fight. Don't overthink it, just fight the great jaggi, it's actually really good beginner training for what to expect from monster fights. Alternatively, you can have some friends help you with the online Hunter Rank 1 monster quests. Doing those multiplayer will take some of the pressure off.

side note*

I recently upgraded to the Anata Boneblade, and according to the weapon chart it does PAR damage, but when it hits it makes little lightning graphics. Does it also do THU or is that just a weird coincidence?

I would recommend going through the Moga Village quests until you get to the Great Jaggi fight. Don't overthink it, just fight the great jaggi, it's actually really good beginner training for what to expect from monster fights. Alternatively, you can have some friends help you with the online Hunter Rank 1 monster quests. Doing those multiplayer will take some of the pressure off.

side note*

I recently upgraded to the Anata Boneblade, and according to the weapon chart it does PAR damage, but when it hits it makes little lightning graphics. Does it also do THU or is that just a weird coincidence?

Paralysis also looks like lightning (basically like the shock traps).

Ghost23

Any good high rank gunner guides for my buddy? He needs some help killing monsters faster. Also, my Ratholos armor is lvl 8. How high can it go up to?

Haunted

I experimented putting health and stamina on the gamepad and playing completely HUDless is indeed nice, but that's the one bit of crucial information that just has to be there, more quickly accessible than at a glance, it just has to be in my peripheral vision at all times, or I'm fucked.

I've got the item wheel, map, signal and target cam (since I use ZL and ZR as L and R) on the touchscreen and that works really well.

edit: WiiU version, obv

persongr

Just hunted my first Barioth. I cannot understand why some people hate him so much, I had so much fun fighting him. Especially after suffering the Duramboros twice -_-

Jarate

Banned
So for anyone with a 3ds XL, and in need of a circle pad pro, amazon has the japanese import (which they funnily call "inport") for 40 bucks. It makes the game a lot better to play

Also, the transfer system is kind of awesome but kind of stupid at the same time. Ive been playing alone, but my GF got interested in trying it out, and so I transfer my save to the 3ds, and she started a new character on the wii u. It was only later that I found out that I couldn't transfer my save back to the wii u without destroying her save. Is there any way to fix this, or am I screwed to playing on the 3ds only

Santiako

So for anyone with a 3ds XL, and in need of a circle pad pro, amazon has the japanese import (which they funnily call "inport") for 40 bucks. It makes the game a lot better to play

Wouldn't it be cheaper to import it from Europe now?

It's so stupid that NoA didn't bring the CPP there btw.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Also, the transfer system is kind of awesome but kind of stupid at the same time. Ive been playing alone, but my GF got interested in trying it out, and so I transfer my save to the 3ds, and she started a new character on the wii u. It was only later that I found out that I couldn't transfer my save back to the wii u without destroying her save. Is there any way to fix this, or am I screwed to playing on the 3ds only

Is she logged into the Wii U with her own NNID or did she make a character in MH3U in an extra slot while you were logged in?

Ghost23

I'm almost HR 5 online, but not even high rank on singleplayer yet. I can't get myself to go back now because it's boring easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom