• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I finally have my Slime Hammer. I don't plan to spam it too much and I do most of my playing via local co-op. Nine out of ten random HR rooms have all Slime weapons equipped. dat brokeness.

Something really useful when customising panels I just learnt:
If you put your health bar on the bottom screen then Cha-Cha and Kayamba's will not be on the top screen; tapping your health will show you their health AND quest info.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Upgraded my Ludroth mace to a maul, when fighting that bird thing monster I had to sharpen like 3x. How come?

Because although it increased in overall sharpness, giving you access to Green sharpness, it is only a tiny bit of Green sharpness. You can continue to fight while its in yellow sharpness and wait to sharpen when it hits red.

Got the game today, this is my first MH.

Do you guys all play it with the circle pad?

I play mostly Hammer (also Hunting Horn and Switch Axe) on the 3DS without the Circle Pad Pro just fine. My wife plays Bow and after a couple hours of practice, has no issues with the Circle Pad Pro + virtual Dpad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I haven't found it nessecary so far, although I don't use ranged weapons. The new L-centering feature replaces much of the need for moment-to-moment camera control, and underwater things are slow enough that the touch d-pad is just fine

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I don't have Ultimate but believe me when I say that you do not want to play MH with directional buttons.

I'm guessing he's talking about the 3DS version and using the Circle Pad Pro. If that was the query, my answer is no. I find the touch screen makes for serviceable camera controls. They're not perfect, but I'm not gonna shell out for the CPP when I know I'll get an XL in the next few months...

DaBoss

Just made my second set, Nargacuga Armor:
EgNF6MM.jpg

I played through almost all of the village quests without using a circle pad pro (XL). I didn't use any ranged weapons yet though.

tbhysgb

Hey guys can I get a little help? I'm still in Moga village doing quests and I got to the capture 2* quest with the bear thing. I can easily kick his ass but I'm having trouble trapping him. I guess I'm just wondering things I need or should use for trapping. I know they give shock traps and tranq bombs at the start, but it's frustrating waiting for him to limp to set the trap only to have him take off somewhere else. Do you have to set the trap ahead of time by an exit and keep him around there? I just want to get the fundamentals of trapping down. Thanks.

DaBoss

Hey guys can I get a little help? I'm still in Moga village doing quests and I got to the capture 2* quest with the bear thing. I can easily kick his ass but I'm having trouble trapping him. I guess I'm just wondering things I need or should use for trapping. I know they give shock traps and tranq bombs at the start, but it's frustrating waiting for him to limp to set the trap only to have him take off somewhere else. Do you have to set the trap ahead of time by an exit and keep him around there? I just want to get the fundamentals of trapping down. Thanks.

Just wait for it to limp and then head off to a different area. In that different area, set the trap and then make it follow you into the trap and then throw tranq bombs at it.

I've never played Monster Hunter before and was considering getting it for 3DS but I also have a Wii U. I understand the 3DS version doesn't have an online mode though, but there's some sort of App that let's you transfer your data between the Wii U and 3DS. I'm assuming that's only if you buy the Wii U AND 3DS version, right?

It seems like a fun game to get on a handheld so I'd prefer to get it on the 3DS, but lack of online seems pretty gimped. And do you need to use the analog stick attachment?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've never played Monster Hunter before and was considering getting it for 3DS but I also have a Wii U. I understand the 3DS version doesn't have an online mode though, but there's some sort of App that let's you transfer your date between the Wii U and 3DS. I'm assuming that's only if you buy the Wii U AND 3DS version, right?
Yes, if you have both versions you can transfer your save between the two.

It seems like a fun game to get on a handheld so I'd prefer to get it on the 3DS, but lack of online seems pretty gimped. And do you need to use the analog stick attachment?

I'm definitly enjoying it on my 3DS, but I also have three+ other friends with the game so I am getting the multiplayer experience. If you don't, I'd recommend getting the WiiU version because the game really shines in multiplayer.

EDIT: I'm slightly wrong here, see below

And you don't need the circle pad (I'm not using it) but it could be helpful for ranged weapons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

There's a couple solutions. You can bring your own traps and tranqs as back up (Thunderbug+Trap Tool can be used to make Shock Traps, Net+Trap Tool for Pitfall), in case you miss with the EZ Trap.

You can also just wait for the monster to go to its sleeping den. Every monster will have an area where they will try to sleep and recover health. You can then safely put the trap down right next to them as they sleep. Other than that, if you know they're going to be heading out one exit, put the trap in front of it and bait them into the trap by standing behind it.

I've never played Monster Hunter before and was considering getting it for 3DS but I also have a Wii U. I understand the 3DS version doesn't have an online mode though, but there's some sort of App that let's you transfer your date between the Wii U and 3DS. I'm assuming that's only if you buy the Wii U AND 3DS version, right?

You should be able to run the Adhoc (not the transfer utility) on the Wii U without a Wii U copy of Ultimate and use it to connect the 3DS online. You won't be able to host games yourself, but you should be able to join other games.

I really enjoy having Monster Hunter on the go, but I would definitely just get the Wii U version if you had to choose.

No its not necessary. Been playing 40 hours without and loving the game.
Only thing is you need the virtual d-pad on the lower screen so you can't put as much info down there as you might if you didn't have it.

Thats really the only negative I've found.

Apenheul

I just hate the golden fish quest, managed to get the third with about 5 minutes left on the clock. I don't remember this being so tricky in Tri but for some reason the tunas/sushifish/popfish/etc wouldn't go away if I used golden fish bait.

Reknoc

I just hate the golden fish quest, managed to get the third with about 5 minutes left on the clock. I don't remember this being so tricky in Tri but for some reason the tunas/sushifish/popfish/etc wouldn't go away if I used golden fish bait.

Were you pressing the use item button instead of the fish button?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It's probably because you were pressing A (using regular lure) instead of pressing Y (using Goldenfish Bait when selected).

Ridley327

Are you using the Goldenfish bait, or are you using the A prompt? If it's the latter, then that isn't using your bait.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member

Remember to push the y button when fishing with goldenbait instead of a.

tbhysgb

I've never played Monster Hunter before and was considering getting it for 3DS but I also have a Wii U. I understand the 3DS version doesn't have an online mode though, but there's some sort of App that let's you transfer your data between the Wii U and 3DS. I'm assuming that's only if you buy the Wii U AND 3DS version, right?

The WiiU version is pretty awesome, so is the 3DS version. It's funny how it worked. I bought the 3ds version intending on only playing that. Then a good price on a new wiiU pops up and I bought that plus MH on the wiiU. It really is amazing having the big screen plus dual stick control, but don't let that deter you from the 3DS version. I would suggest if you can only get one go for WiiU unless you wanna be mobile with it. The virtual Dpad on the 3ds is pretty awesome too imo, it feels really natural.

Thank you chaos, and others. I understand now. I was thinking about freedom unite when I fought Giadrome and he would limp off only to seemingly heal lol. It's funny, I didn't get into the psp MH until a couple weeks ago because I didn't know about the village quests. I thought the only ones were the guild hall quests and I was getting my ass kicked. After I actually started getting into the game I became hooked.

Reknoc

I was doing the Goldenfish quest in Tanzia for the chef upgrade, about half way through I realised I wasn't using the Goldenfish bait. Still got 3 Goldenfish without it :smug

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

For what it's worth, I love owning both versions of the game. At night, I relax and play the Wii U version in 1080p, and then during the day, I transfer my save onto my 3DS and bring that into work to play with people who have the game there. It's been working out awesomely. I play without the Circle Pad Pro, and I don't find myself too annoyed with the camera implementation.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hopping online, Free Play 3/ Lobby 9/ UberGAF. Password is the one in the OP.

Currently doing HR2, but I don't mind helping out anyone who need to do HR1 quests.

I've still got a US room up, HR3 right now, looking for two more.

On a side note, what's the earliest that I can fight a Volvidon? I need his claws.

Coldsnap

One thing that annoys me in this game is gathering. I go out to Moga woods to do some gathering and I have to fight a great jaggi for the 1,000th time. Sorta just want to be left alone.

Ragus

Banned
After 3 days of hunting, that motherfucking monster bone L had finally dropped from Barroth. I wanted to stick my dick into headphone slot and scream YES YES YES.

Can someone school me on Hammer101. Picked it because I always liked hammers in game. I enjoy hitting the Y 3 hit combo, then charge up attack is nice, the A button attack seems semi useless.

Oh cool!

Your bread and butter as a hammer use is the 'R' charge attack. You should almost always be holding that down in a fight, getting into position, and then unleashing it. If you move before you unleash the attack, you'll do this spin attack, which is pretty much crap. When you have your foe stunned or tired, the 3 X combo (x-x-x) is extremely powerful (especially the upswing). 'A' is pretty much worthless.

Your bread and butter as a hammer use is the 'R' charge attack. You should almost always be holding that down in a fight, getting into position, and then unleashing it. If you move before you unleash the attack, you'll do this spin attack, which is pretty much crap. When you have your foe stunned or tired, the 3 X combo (x-x-x) is extremely powerful (especially the upswing). 'A' is pretty much worthless.

This is good info and makes me want to try out hammer

Now explain switch axe! I wanna know if what I've been doing for 80 hours is wrong or inefficient. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom