• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
can you get lagi horns in low rank too?
Or is it more likely to get them in high rank?
The low rank lagi dies way faster, so it would be logical to farm that one...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

According to the guide...

62% chance to get a Lagi horn in Low Rank, but you need to break the horn

You actually have less of a chance to get it in the higher rank, 20%. (Probably because 42% chance to get a Lagi Horn+ in high rank).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Yes, but you must break the Horns. Easiest way to do it if he's online (and hopefully fatigued) is to Pitfall trap him. You can hammer on his head, or simply put some Barrel Bombs down and blow it up.

Your bread and butter as a hammer use is the 'R' charge attack. You should almost always be holding that down in a fight, getting into position, and then unleashing it. If you move before you unleash the attack, you'll do this spin attack, which is pretty much crap. When you have your foe stunned or tired, the 3 X combo (x-x-x) is extremely powerful (especially the upswing). 'A' is pretty much worthless.

Spin attack is not THAT terrible. If you can guarantee you will hit you'll hit the golf swing at the end, you'll do as much KO damage as you would with the Super Pound. It can be useful if you're applying status / slime for the extra hits, and you can squeeze into a tight spot with other players around that you don't want to Super Pound out of the way.

Not saying Super Pound isn't the best, but spin can be okay.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
what does one have to do to get a freaking Laggy Plate damnit! god this shit is like the rarest fucking thing ever!

You get at least 2 chances to get the plate. 1 from a tail carve (4%), 1 if you break the horn (3%).

Not really sure why the guide lists TWO Tail Carve sections, but the other tail carve section says 6% for the plate. So 3 chances max.

If you want to up those chances, get a Lucky Cat skill enabled from eating, it helps a bit.

Coldsnap

What armor sets should I use as a Hammer user? I have Jaggi set and working on a Woggi set now because someone said it's good for + poison.

What armor sets should I use as a Hammer user? I have Jaggi set and working on a Woggi set now because someone said it's good for + poison.

I think it'd be beneficial to have a list of recommended sets for each weapon. There are some that are obvious, but others that are not as obvious to newbies (like me). Does something like this exist out there?

kinggroin

Banned
This is good info and makes me want to try out hammer

Now explain switch axe! I wanna know if what I've been doing for 80 hours is wrong or inefficient. Haha

To add, as a hammer brother, you should hold R just as you complete the last animation of the X-X-X combo. This will instantly lead to the charge animation.

I usually just do the first charge and lead back into an X-X-X hen the monster is distracted or on low stamina. If trapped, I'll charge to the massive pound at the end of that combo, then immediately roll away (this'll prevent the animation from completing). Then if you have time, use A to lead back in with X-X-X

:)

And I typically just get armour sets that work best towards my play stay (aggressive - Attack (H/M/L) or support - Maestro with Hunting Horn etc.)

This was from a tri guide:

In low rank, you should craft and use the following armors :
- jaggi : first one, has attack up
- barroth : marathon runner, attack boost, good elemental resistance
- rathian : can be easily gemmed for earplug; high fire resistance for volcano quests
- baggi : focus AND capture expert? use it ASAP (i still use it in high rank to farm bird wyvern gems)
- barrioth : evade+2 and marathon runner... not bad
- los / lagi : not really appropriate for hammer, but good to get anyway
- ceadeus / ceadeus mix : not as good as one may think in low rank

source: http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/t5553-hammer-guide

I'm not sure how relevant it is now with MH3U, but i think it's decent to sort of follow.

Unicorn

Man, I'm too hyped for Monster Hunter 4.

jumping attacks, 2 new weapon types, clinging to monsters, online play on 3DS!

How long will localization take this time?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKzwLRodB_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUj5WsQYbGU

Proven

Can someone explain how the phial system works with switch axe? I've been using this weapon now for 80 hours and I still don't understand how it works.

All I know about switch axes is I seem to be able to poison stuff a hell of a lot, and when I'm in sword mode I don't bounce off stuff, which seems awesome.

Off the top of my head...

There are two types of phials. Status/Elemental, and Power phials. The first kind can apply to both Axe and Sword mode. The second kind is mostly for Sword mode (I think). Power phials give you a straight up damage multiplier.

As you've already noticed, Axe mode gives you more reach and has some pretty powerful attacks. Sword mode gives you ESP (your weapon will never bounce) and has a higher DPS rate if you can get into a good spot to attack. X+A (I think) in Axe mode activates a continuous Axe chop that constantly uses up stamina. The move used to suck damage output wise, but it's been buffed so I can't say how strong it is now. X+A (I think) in Sword mode activates phial burst attack. You open up the phial on your Switch Axe, can button mash for some extra damage (I think), and then at the end of it (about 6 hits) you can either hold down (and press a button?) to cancel or keep button mashing to unleash the phial burst. If you do the final unleash, it'll take out a chunk of your gauge, put you back into Axe mode, and you'll probably need to reload. The final burst attack also sends allies flying, so careful when using it in multiplayer.

The primary reason why I've never gotten around to using the Switch Axe is because it seems designed to only use Sword mode, and Axe mode is just there to bide time. However, since you can always just reload in Axe mode, then go right into Sword mode anyway, there's almost zero reason to ever do an attack in Axe mode. It's a cool weapon, but it just seems like the mechanics weren't well thought out to make it an interesting weapon (for me). I'm hoping that the new transformation weapon in MH4 will be more to my liking.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This game. So pleased, the bf has been totally sucked into it - we ended up buying that matt black XL bundle and he took my old one. Looks seriously slick in the single colour.

Morokh

Trying to capture Lagi in solo ....

... must not throw controller at screen !!!!!!! ...... >:-[

I think i'll go to bed and try again tomorrow xD

Okay so I'm at the part where I gotta make the Ancient mask (at 5 star level village), I still have Jaggi armor, is there anything else worthwhile to make before going to high rank for a Longsword user? Or am I just gonna end up in high rank making the high rank version of Jaggi armor and looking the same foreeeeever...

ramyeon

This was from a tri guide:

In low rank, you should craft and use the following armors :
- jaggi : first one, has attack up
- barroth : marathon runner, attack boost, good elemental resistance
- rathian : can be easily gemmed for earplug; high fire resistance for volcano quests
- baggi : focus AND capture expert? use it ASAP (i still use it in high rank to farm bird wyvern gems)
- barrioth : evade+2 and marathon runner... not bad
- los / lagi : not really appropriate for hammer, but good to get anyway
- ceadeus / ceadeus mix : not as good as one may think in low rank

source: http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/t5553-hammer-guide

I'm not sure how relevant it is now with MH3U, but i think it's decent to sort of follow.
Forging all these is a waste of time and money in low rank. Stick with the Jaggi armour and gem it for attack up M. Forge Wroggi for baffles with poison involved. Get the simple loc lac set for the powderstone quest and optionally the Lagi set for beating Caedeus.

Off the top of my head...

There are two types of phials. Status/Elemental, and Power phials. The first kind can apply to both Axe and Sword mode. The second kind is mostly for Sword mode (I think). Power phials give you a straight up damage multiplier.

As you've already noticed, Axe mode gives you more reach and has some pretty powerful attacks. Sword mode gives you ESP (your weapon will never bounce) and has a higher DPS rate if you can get into a good spot to attack. X+A (I think) in Axe mode activates a continuous Axe chop that constantly uses up stamina. The move used to suck damage output wise, but it's been buffed so I can't say how strong it is now. X+A (I think) in Sword mode activates phial burst attack. You open up the phial on your Switch Axe, can button mash for some extra damage (I think), and then at the end of it (about 6 hits) you can either hold down (and press a button?) to cancel or keep button mashing to unleash the phial burst. If you do the final unleash, it'll take out a chunk of your gauge, put you back into Axe mode, and you'll probably need to reload. The final burst attack also sends allies flying, so careful when using it in multiplayer.

The primary reason why I've never gotten around to using the Switch Axe is because it seems designed to only use Sword mode, and Axe mode is just there to bide time. However, since you can always just reload in Axe mode, then go right into Sword mode anyway, there's almost zero reason to ever do an attack in Axe mode. It's a cool weapon, but it just seems like the mechanics weren't well thought out to make it an interesting weapon (for me). I'm hoping that the new transformation weapon in MH4 will be more to my liking.

Thanks for the write up! The phials are something that still seem to confuse me, but the damage output is there for sure.

It's definitely like you said though, I pretty much only really use the sword mode, which is why I feel like I'm not getting the full use out of my weapon.

ramyeon

Switch Axe is perfectly good in axe mode. In fact I use that more than sword mode. The draw attack has good damage output and the speed is really fantastic.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
For any Hr 2 Gaffer that wants to get their hunt on:

Free Play 3, Lobby 3

Room "Hr 2 Gaf"

Have a bit of time to kill so happy to wait for hunters.

ramyeon

Are there any bonuses to be gained from equipping a complete armor set (i.e. Jaggi set)?
Of course yes. Armor all have points towards or against certain skills. The Jaggi set inherently has the skills Halve Stun, Gourmand and Attack Up S. Each piece also has a gem slot so if you put in 5 attack gems it will upgrade the Attack Up S skill to the next tier, Attack Up M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom