• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

Of course yes. Armor all have points towards or against certain skills. The Jaggi set inherently has the skills Halve Stun, Gourmand and Attack Up S. Each piece also has a gem slot so if you put in 5 attack gems it will upgrade the Attack Up S skill to the next tier, Attack Up M.

Hm okay. How do I unlock more crafting options? I don't have the Jaggi chest armor in my list for example.
Also where do I get King's Frills? Is there any site for getting material information in general? The wiki is kinda barebones.

Slime element is so broken. Party of 4 with slime weapons = kill everything. We beat I.Lagia urgent in less than 10 min and we didn't even tried hard.

Shoyz

Switch Axe is perfectly good in axe mode. In fact I use that more than sword mode. The draw attack has good damage output and the speed is really fantastic.

An 'Axe' has always been my dream weapon since Tri/P3rd. Disappointing that Charge Axe is just another Axe/Sword combo..

ramyeon

Hm okay. How do I unlock more crafting options? I don't have the Jaggi chest armor in my list for example.
Also where do I get King's Frills? Is there any site for getting material information in general? The wiki is kinda barebones.
You need the items required to forge it for it to appear. King's Frills are had by breaking the Great Jaggi's frills before beating it, they'll show up as a reward. Everything else you can see on the wiki which is the only resource I use tbh.

Trying to play online has been frustrating. How come so few rooms DON'T give me Error 106-0614? It's not firewall like the support website claims, because I DMZ'd my Wii U with a static IP address and tried every router setting and still no luck.

That's e-book guide is not really that good. It takes forever to search and it doesn't have complete info in many subjects (eg. no info about Alatreon and Dire Miralis).

Switch Axe is perfectly good in axe mode. In fact I use that more than sword mode. The draw attack has good damage output and the speed is really fantastic.

What's the draw attack? The only attack I use with the axe is the back and forth infinite slash, but I only use that when the boss is on is back and I need to reload.

burgerdog

Slime element is so broken. Party of 4 with slime weapons = kill everything. We beat I.Lagia urgent in less than 10 min and we didn't even tried hard.

I have the highest tier slime LS from HR and I spent most of time last night getting my other weapons up to that level just in case they nerf slime. Water, lightning, and fire are all ready now, if I get a chance to play later today I'm going to work on paralysis, poison and ice.

ramyeon

What's the draw attack? The only attack I use with the axe is the back and forth infinite slash, but I only use that when the boss is on is back and I need to reload.
The basic X when sheathed attack. That and the X+A attack are great. I only pop into sword mode for brief periods, I dunno it depends on your preference but the axe mode is perfectly fine.

ramyeon

The stupid ass huge monster appeared and had to make a swim for it. -_- will have to repeat
Haha it always will for that quest, it's a scripted event ;)
That's e-book guide is not really that good. It takes forever to search and it doesn't have complete info in many subjects (eg. no info about Alatreon and Dire Miralis).
All I expected from this guide was proper weapon trees and it didn't even get that right.

Had some awesome hunts with some EU GAFers tonight! Best parts were killing the Deviljho that got summoned by crimson Peco (and getting a jho gem), and destroying high rank Rathian in 3.5 minutes :p

finally getting glued to this game just got a new dual sword that is higher level than what I started with

what does the books do? there are so many does it help to buy the books

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the guide is a let down. The wikis for MH3U are more informative, and at least easy to search through (somewhat).

finally getting glued to this game just got a new dual sword that is higher level than what I started with

what does the books do? there are so many does it help to buy the books

The combo books increase your combo success rate. You have to have them in successive order, and actually in your bag inventory, for you to get the effect.

The monster books are just... monster books. They just give you some info about the monsters.

There's books for increasing inventory, it's not THAT necessary in the beginning, but its useful if you're a hoarder.

L Thammy

I'm just going to take two tranq bombs. It's an easy quest, so I won't need any more. Surely I'm not so clumsy that I'll accidentally throw one of them when trying to cycle through my items!

WHOOPS

Apenheul

Remember to push the y button when fishing with goldenbait instead of a.
Are you using the Goldenfish bait, or are you using the A prompt? If it's the latter, then that isn't using your bait.
It's probably because you were pressing A (using regular lure) instead of pressing Y (using Goldenfish Bait when selected).
Were you pressing the use item button instead of the fish button?

That must have been the reason.. why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

L Thammy

A friend of mine is stuck just before Ceadeus. He says that he's done all the village requests and all quests from 1-5 stars. But he also can't get the mask from the statue.

Does anyone remember if there's something else he has to do?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just going to take two tranq bombs. It's an easy quest, so I won't need any more. Surely I'm not so clumsy that I'll accidentally throw one of them when trying to cycle through my items!

WHOOPS

Bare minimum tranq bombs I ever take is 3, just for that very reason. :p

bitoriginal

There is a certain thrill derived from taking down one of these huge beasties solo. The prep before the battle is equal part getting all your shit crafted and made as it is mentally preparing yourself.

The basic X when sheathed attack. That and the X+A attack are great. I only pop into sword mode for brief periods, I dunno it depends on your preference but the axe mode is perfectly fine.

Oh. Haha draw attack. I get it.

I will try using just axe mode in a fight tonight. I should learn it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine is stuck just before Ceadeus. He says that he's done all the village requests and all quests from 1-5 stars. But he also can't get the mask from the statue.

Does anyone remember if there's something else he has to do?

Did he get Kayamba already? He will also need to complete the Volvidon quest "Walk N' Roll" and Nibblesnarf quest "The Desert Gourmand".

After that, there's gonna be a village request concerning the mask. You need x2 Lagi scales, x1 Sharqskin, and x4 Pelgicite Ores to complete the request.

THEN a few quests unlock, and he'll need to defeat a Rathalos (Wrath of the Rathalos) and a Barioth (A Bard's Tale).

THEN there's ANOTHER village request, and you'll need x2 Gigginox Hides, x2 Rath Talons, and x8 Machalite Ore.

THEN more quests unlock, but he'll need to only defeat an Uragaan (The Volcano's Fury).

THEN FINALLY he can attempt the Ceadeus quest.

NIN90

Anyone from outside the US having success buying the E-Guide from the Brady site? Getting an error during checkout and I suspect it's because the US adress I provided doesn't match up with my CC adress. Any other sites selling the guide maybe?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
fuuuuuuuck. Thank you. I can't believe I thought they would make such a shitty item so difficult to make. haha
No probs! If it needed poison sacs I wouldn't bother :p I'm making a heap of bombs at the moment for farming Bnahabra.
Anyone from outside the US having success buying the E-Guide from the Brady site? Getting an error during checkout and I suspect it's because the US adress I provided doesn't match up with my CC adress. Any other sites selling the guide maybe?
Couldn't find anywhere else. I know people are saying its not great but it would be handy for having all info in one place on the iPad.

L Thammy

He needs to talk to the son of the chief, the one that has the village requests. There he'll find a request to repair the ancient mask and one to build a new base camp to fight Ceadeus.

Did he get Kayamba already? He will also need to complete the Volvidon quest "Walk N' Roll" and Nibblesnarf quest "The Desert Gourmand".

After that, there's gonna be a village request concerning the mask. You need x2 Lagi scales, x1 Sharqskin, and x4 Pelgicite Ores to complete the request.

THEN a few quests unlock, and he'll need to defeat a Rathalos (Wrath of the Rathalos) and a Barioth (A Bard's Tale).

THEN there's ANOTHER village request, and you'll need x2 Gigginox Hides, x2 Rath Talons, and x8 Machalite Ore.

THEN more quests unlock, but he'll need to only defeat an Uragaan (The Volcano's Fury).

THEN FINALLY he can attempt the Ceadeus quest.

So it's basically just mostly key quests and village requests?

He has Kayamba, so he must have left someone unfinished that he didn't tell me about. I'll ask. Thanks.

Unicorn

No probs! If it needed poison sacs I wouldn't bother :p I'm making a heap of bombs at the moment for farming Bnahabra.

Couldn't find anywhere else. I know people are saying its not great but it would be handy for having all info in one place on the iPad.

Yeah, I need 8 carapace to upgrade this butterfly bow. such bullshit grind.

ace3skoot

just ugraded my barioth GS XD

am i better off farming high rank rathalos for rath plates, or would it be better to farm lowe rank as i can kill them about 7 minutes quicker? i just need one more for may rath hammer which i'm planing to upgrade to dyos slime pretty soon after.

ramyeon

It's really no better than the wiki so if you can't get it you're not missing much.

Okay see on a weapons stats; where it says the element (e.g. WA = Water/IC = Ice), what does the number mean? Damage?

Am looking to upgrade my bone greatsword, two options:
Icicle Fang:
Attack = 768
Affinity = 10%
IC = 170

Finblade:
Attack = 816
Affinity = 0%
WA = 240

Almost went with Icicle due to the crititical hit chance but if its how much damage the elemental effect has (though am guessing this is reduced dependent on the monster?) I might change my mind.

So yeah - whats it mean?

L Thammy

Okay see on a weapons stats; where it says the element (e.g. WA = Water/IC = Ice), what does the number mean? Damage?

Icicle Fang:
Attack = 768
Affinity = 10%
IC = 170

Finblade:
Attack = 816
Affinity = 0%
WA = 240

Almost went with Icicle due to the crititical hit chance but if its how much damage the elemental effect has (though am guessing this is reduced dependent on the monster?) I might change my mind.

So yeah - whats it mean?

The number is elemental damage. Element isn't such a big deal with a greatsword. It's nice to have (I think it gets boosted by charge attacks now?) but you should prioritize physical attack power and sharpness instead.

The number is elemental damage. Element isn't such a big deal with a greatsword. It's nice to have (I think it gets boosted by charge attacks now?) but you should prioritize physical attack power and sharpness instead.

Guessing if something has a bit green bar it means it'll stay green longer?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haha, I haven't even officially beaten Lagi yet in single player and I'm only a single plate away from being able to craft the entire armor set thanks to kicking his ass repeatedly in MP on Friday

ace3skoot

Icicle Fang:
Attack = 768
Affinity = 10%
IC = 170

Finblade:
Attack = 816
Affinity = 0%
WA = 240

So yeah - whats it mean?

i made both, and i would recomend doing so, but if your going to pick one personally id pick the ice fang, even though its a little weaker in the short term, the next level of upgrade is much easier to get than the fin blade which you will have to unlock the next level star of mosters to upgrade as it needs an ice agnak bit

Guessing if something has a bit green bar it means it'll stay green longer?

this is true, and finblade has more, but whetstone are dirt cheap and pretty negligible unless a weapon has really poor sharpness which neither do.

wroggi S gear also has a skill which essentially doubles that colours sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom