• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Dafuq is this? They expect me to kill a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydios, and Azure Rathalos without doing Port Tanzia quests? Hell no.

Can somebody make me a list of all of the US release Monster Hunter games, please?

I want to get all of them, but it's hard since all of the names confuse me, and the Japanese only stuff is confusing me even more, hahaha.
Monster Hunter (PS2)
Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (PSP)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS/Wii U)

You're better of if you just get MHFU though, since it has al the content of freedom 1 and 2 + a whole lot more. Tri is also obsolete at this point, especially with the online part shutting down soon.

ajim

You're better of if you just get MHFU though, since it has al the content of freedom 1 and 2 + a whole lot more. Tri is also obsolete at this point, especially with the online part shutting down soon.

Yeah, all you need is Freedom Unite and 3 Ultimate.

derFeef

The item management confuses me. Why does it say swordmaster pouch sometimes and other times gunner pouch? Where do I need the items if I want them to take into the quest/hunting?

ramyeon

The item management confuses me. Why does it say swordmaster pouch sometimes and other times gunner pouch? Where do I need the items if I want them to take into the quest/hunting?
Blademaster pouch is for when you have a blade weapon equipped. Gunner pouch is for when you have a bow/bowgun equipped. The latter has an extra page since you need to carry bullets etc.

Fistwell

If you have a melee weapon, you'll be bringing the swordmaster pouch (and will only be able to wear blademaster armor), if you use bow or bowgun, gunner pouch and gunner armor.

BEATEN like a jaggi with an iron katana.

derFeef

That's what I thought but I never changed weapons since I switched to Gunlance and I am sure I read both all the time.
edit: Now I equipped a Katana just to check and it still says Gunners pouch.

ramyeon

That's what I thought but I never changed weapons since I switched to Gunlance and I am sure I read both all the time.
edit: Now I equipped a Katana just to check and it still says Gunners pouch.
You mean when you go to store items in your item box? That's for transferring items from your blademaster pouch to your gunner's pouch.
When you press start it should say item pouch.

Neo C.

After the complete Rathian shooter armor set, now I've finished the Lagi fighter set. Yay.
Now it's time to pimp my weapons with high rank stuff.

I've gotten attached to Long Swords early on because of the spirit gauge meta-game and the baller ass dodge swipe but now I'm interested in trying something else. I'm looking at a Great Sword but what's holding me back is how slow they hit. Are the hits that devastating that I won't have my DPS plunge down with comparable grade swords?
I played great sword the most in Tri, they are fairly easy to use: You can dodge and guard, plus the reach and the damage are nice. Sure, it's slow, but so are lances.
Make sure your weapon is sharp though! You won't get many hits, therefore every bouncing hit is frustrating.

btw, I see a lot less people playing with GS and Lance in Ultimate compared to Tri. A pity.

Mupod

Before leaving this morning I beat down yet another village Nargacuga with no tailspikes, and had just enough time to do a volcano gathering run with no Timeworns. Then I got in the car and Fath No More - Epic started playing on the radio, which made me laugh.

Tomorrow I can finally play online again. I hope to at least get this Narga set finished tonight, but my Yamato set has me at almost 600 defense when I buff myself with the HH so it's not like I'm lacking in gear. Oh man HR3 is not ready for this.

Proven

Holy shit!

I finally checked out the DLC and I got a 5000 resource points for free

10000 Mega Potions here I come!

Yeah. This is really great for powering through the single player without having to stop to Free Hunt as often.

I'd Free Hunt more anyway, but they rarely have bigger (*** commodities and higher) monsters on the forecasts. It's been getting on my nerves. I'm hoping that doing High Rank quests will improve this. Can't bother farming anymore.

Mupod

I've gotten attached to Long Swords early on because of the spirit gauge meta-game and the baller ass dodge swipe but now I'm interested in trying something else. I'm looking at a Great Sword but what's holding me back is how slow they hit. Are the hits that devastating that I won't have my DPS plunge down with comparable grade swords?

Try the hunting horn. I'm serious. It shares some similarities with the LS (its reach, unsheathe attack, and it has a upswing that can be used as a ghetto dodge). it's not slow, and remembering the songs isn't as hard as you think.

Plus you can't truly understand how awesome MH is if you've never KO'd a monster.

Yeah. This is really great for powering through the single player without having to stop to Free Hunt as often.

I'd Free Hunt more anyway, but they rarely have bigger (*** commodities and higher) monsters on the forecasts. It's been getting on my nerves. I'm hoping that doing High Rank quests will improve this. Can't bother farming anymore.

Oh man are you gonna laugh when you see what happens once you progress in high rank village.

Azure Rathalos has been sighted in the Moga Woods!
I heard there's been Brachydios sightings in the woods lately!
Hey hunter, I saw a Nargacuga in the woods the other day and it made me shit my pants!
You'll never believe it but I saw an Ivory Lagiacrus in the woods
I saw a Steel Uragaan too EVEN THOUGH THAT MAKES NO SENSE

The Guild was right. What the fuck is wrong with this island? Should have got out when we had the chance.

Try the hunting horn. I'm serious. It shares some similarities with the LS (its reach, unsheathe attack, and it has a upswing that can be used as a ghetto dodge). it's not slow, and remembering the songs isn't as hard as you think.

Plus you can't truly understand how awesome MH is if you've never KO'd a monster.

Oh man are you gonna laugh when you see what happens once you progress in high rank village.

Hey hunter, I saw a Nargacuga in the woods the other day and it made me shit my pants!

The Guild was right. What the fuck is wrong with this island? Should have got out when we had the chance.

Oh god. I've hit 5 * in the Village but if that's what's waiting for me it's gonna be sunny every day in Moga village. Screw that haha.
I find it annoying enough to have to take out a Ratian every other time. XD

Proven

Purple Ludroth hits hard, but he only hit me twice. He poisoned me twice, but it barely took off any health. Then again, I'm using a Bow, and I had both Felyne Medic and a Recovery Dance boost from Kayamba on me.

I laughed from just this post. Alright, this week is dedicated to High Rank Moga Village. Will be fun.

Mr E.

Noob question. Been checking out the forge armour option ( I have Jaggi set ) I noticed the option for Quropeco Vest and gloves but no helm option. Is this correct? Do someone monsters provide full sets and others partial sets? I'm not far in so it may offer it later, anyone know ?

Thanks.

Mupod

Noob question. Been checking out the forge armour option ( I have Jaggi set ) I noticed the option for Quropeco Vest and gloves but no helm option. Is this correct? Do someone monsters provide full sets and others partial sets? I'm not far in so it may offer it later, anyone know ?

Thanks.

There are indeed partial sets, but they usually aren't monster-based sets and this isn't one of them. You unlock pieces of armor based on the parts you get from the monster. In this case I believe you need a Strange Beak, so break his stupid face next time and you should get one.

Ken

Thanks.

You don't have A certain piece of that helmet that "unlocks" it yet.

Santiako

Is there a list somewhere of the weapons (SwitchAxes specifically) that you can make directly and the one you need to get to by upgrading?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am out of resource points. Damnit.

Also, I had an epic Lagiacrus trap last night. I hate that fucker. I had no first-aid, no mega potions, and 1/4 of my health left. I have no idea how to tell if he's ready to be trapped, but I've died twice already (because I hate that fight) and I've been at it for 20 minutes. He rushed past me so I started to lay my shock trap. As I'm mid setting up trap, he starts moving towards me. The trap is set just as he gets to me and winds up to attack. Trap triggers, 2 tranq bombs, CAP COMPLETE.

Feels good.

But still, I hate that fight. Flooded Forest is even worse because of all the other shit around that makes it hard to see, but underwater fights in this game are still my least favorite. I can't figure out how to dodge correctly. 90% of the time, I'll dodge left or right (which is fine and what I want to do) - the other 10% of the time, I dodge up or down. Often times, this gets me hit. But! I wish I could repeat this when I need it. I simply can't do it, and I don't know why. I hated water fights in Tri, and this game is no different.

That being said, I think I'm going to learn a ranged weapon for if/when I decide to farm Lagiacrus.

ramyeon

Also, I had an epic Lagiacrus trap last night. I hate that fucker. I had no first-aid, no mega potions, and 1/4 of my health left. I have no idea how to tell if he's ready to be trapped, but I've died twice already (because I hate that fight) and I've been at it for 20 minutes. He rushed past me so I started to lay my shock trap. As I'm mid setting up trap, he starts moving towards me. The trap is set just as he gets to me and winds up to attack. Trap triggers, 2 tranq bombs, CAP COMPLETE.

Feels good.

But still, I hate that fight. Flooded Forest is even worse because of all the other shit around that makes it hard to see, but underwater fights in this game are still my least favorite. I can't figure out how to dodge correctly. 90% of the time, I'll dodge left or right (which is fine and what I want to do) - the other 10% of the time, I dodge up or down. Often times, this gets me hit. But! I wish I could repeat this when I need it. I simply can't do it, and I don't know why. I hated water fights in Tri, and this game is no different.

That being said, I think I'm going to learn a ranged weapon for if/when I decide to farm Lagiacrus.
A lot of people seem to have had trouble with that. Lagi never gave me any trouble fighting him or capturing him tbh. As far as water battles go, for me Gobul was actually more difficult and a pain in the ass. Going back and running circles around him was so satisfying.

Mupod

Is there a list somewhere of the weapons (SwitchAxes specifically) that you can make directly and the one you need to get to by upgrading?

Looks like the weapon charts on gamefaqs mark the weapons you can make from scratch with an asterisk. Doesn't show the materials, but the brady guide does (it marks them with 'buy' underneath).

Funny that sometimes it's easier to get a weapon outright than upgrading to it. The Zinogre hunting horn for example, takes two freakin tails to upgrade into. Impact weapons should never require tails, that's stupid.

gotee12

The weapon trees are on Gamefaqs. I'd link it but I'm on my phone...

E: nvm, didn't fully read the post above me.

Haunted

Feels good.

You can only dodge up or down underwater when you chain it after an attack. You can't dodge up/down just on your own, that'll always go left or right.

Santiako

Looks like the weapon charts on gamefaqs mark the weapons you can make from scratch with an asterisk. Doesn't show the materials, but the brady guide does (it marks them with 'buy' underneath).

Funny that sometimes it's easier to get a weapon outright than upgrading to it. The Zinogre hunting horn for example, takes two freakin tails to upgrade into. Impact weapons should never require tails, that's stupid.

Ah, thank you, I see the asterisks.

Rize_21

So here are some hunts that I've had with EuGAF on this saturday night!
It began with the vivid Qurupeco,followed by a quick conversion to the LS with a Royal Ludroth that asked nothing to end like this,then a really cool looking Pink Rathian that ended up with some primitive cosmetic surgery done by these gentlemens.
And last but not least,the...hmmm...well the rusty Duramboros if I may say,quite dangerous.

To the LS users,how do you get the different levels of soul gauge and the "final" attack?(standard>yellow>red)I've watched a tutorial by Socialdissonnance,have read mhwiki,but I fail to figure it out in game,do I have to keep the bar filled or it doesn't matter?

Mupod

So here are some hunts that I've had with EuGAF on this saturday night!
It began with the vivid Qurupeco,followed by a quick conversion to the LS with a Royal Ludroth that asked nothing to end like this,then a really cool looking Pink Rathian that ended up with some primitive cosmetic surgery done by these gentlemens.
And last but not least,the...hmmm...well the rusty Duramboros if I may say,quite dangerous.

To the LS users,how do you get the different levels of soul gauge and the "final" attack?(standard>yellow>red)I've watched a tutorial by Socialdissonnance,have read mhwiki,but I fail to figure it out in game,do I have to keep the bar filled or it doesn't matter?

Fill the gauge with your regular attacks, then complete a spirit combo (R). Once you do the final slash (rushes forward and sheathes weapon) it'll raise the level. Do this again to raise it further. It deteriorates over time if you don't keep attacking.

DaBoss

Haha, the whole spotted monster thing was pretty hilarious. Moga Woods at night is the most dangerous thing ever.

Also, has anyone completed Mark of the Hero quest without G-Rank stuff? My def can go up to somewhere just above 500, but I will still take a lot of damage and it doesn't help that my Dios Lance just can't put enough damage.

Gonna start Tanzia quests soon.

Mupod

Haha, the whole spotted monster thing was pretty hilarious. Moga Woods at nigh is the most dangerous thing ever.

Also, has anyone completed Mark of the Hero quest without G-Rank stuff? My def can go up to somewhere just above 500, but I will still take anlot o damage and it doesn't help that my Dios Lance just can't put enough damage.

Gonna start Tanzia quests soon.

If you can get past the first monster, maybe you could turtle in a corner with guard +2 and hope Brachy punches Rathalos to death.

I'm not even gonna bother unlocking it yet, although I will someday because a solo high rank Alatreon sounds like fun for practice.

explodet

Does anyone know offhand what the Unity stat means in multiplayer? My partner and I have been playing multi almost exclusively and our Unity stat is almost at 10. But I can't find any mention of the stat in any guide, and googling it just returns tons of hits to the Capcom Unity forums.

DaBoss

If you can get past the first monster, maybe you could turtle in a corner with guard +2 and hope Brachy punches Rathalos to death.

I'm not even gonna bother unlocking it yet, although I will someday because a solo high rank Alatreon sounds like fun for practice.

Damn keyboard failed me.

I swear it is a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus, and it takes a crazy amount of damage. Do you know if the Brachydios and Azure Rathalos are G-Rank also?

ramyeon

Damn, high rank solo is such a huge step up. Feel like I'm pretty much under equipped for most of this stuff but it's definitely exciting again, I felt like I was getting too strong towards the end of low rank.

Mupod

Damn keyboard failed me.

I swear it is a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus, and it takes a crazy amount of damage. Do you know if the Brachydios and Azure Rathalos are G-Rank also?

From what I've read: they are high rank and come out at the same time.

Sakura

Ha ha... Here I was expecting to get my MH3U in the mail tomorrow... three days off to play it... but then I just realised I accidentally had my old address set as the default on the website, and the game is being shipped to a house I lived in 6 years ago, and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. Oh well I guess...

DaBoss

From what I've read: they are high rank and come out at the same time.

Hmmm OK. I don't see how I will survive without a lance for Ivory Lagi's attacks.

Can anyone tell me how much HP a G-Rank Ivory Lagi has? I don't remember if that info was in the guide and I can't check at the moment.

Rize_21

Fill the gauge with your regular attacks, then complete a spirit combo (R). Once you do the final slash (rushes forward and sheathes weapon) it'll raise the level. Do this again to raise it further. It deteriorates over time if you don't keep attacking.

It works finally,thanks a lot!

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
Does anyone know where you can fight against a Lagombi on High Rank? So far, I have cleared every Rank 4 quest online and haven't found a Lagombi yet. And there isn't any quest for it on Rank 5 yet. Maybe offline?

yami4ct

anyone have a link to a beginner guide book I can order? I want secrets hints and to understand all ;3

DLC? wut

The one I used to get me started is here http://weloveculty.com/collections/monster-hunter-beginners-guide. It's very basic, but it gets you through the important early tough times of learning the game.

The only real in-depth game guide I know is the Brady Games MH3U guide and it's not great. It's missing a lot of info, can be hard to read, and just doesn't really work. For more higher level stuff, it's best to either ask here or check the wiki.

As for DLC, it's right on the main menu. Right now you get things like extra quests and other things.

demonkaze

About the Dios weapons, since i've gotten my Dios Gunlance I've been using it a lot obviously. Is it worth using element weapons of equivalence over the Dios one or not?

The one I used to get me started is here http://weloveculty.com/collections/monster-hunter-beginners-guide. It's very basic, but it gets you through the important early tough times of learning the game.

The only real in-depth game guide I know is the Brady Games MH3U guide and it's not great. It's missing a lot of info, can be hard to read, and just doesn't really work. For more higher level stuff, it's best to either ask here or check the wiki.

As for DLC, it's right on the main menu. Right now you get things like extra quests and other things.

thank you! :)

now for a long day of hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom