• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not enough people rock hunting horn so I'm gonna have to give it a shot tomorrow. Negate stamina usage is crazy awesome

Join the crew. :)

The hardest thing about HH is choosing a horn to use. There is no singular best horn and it's really up to the party makeup and target to decide which horn is best to use. I don't have a horn arsenal built up yet, but I'm going to work on it. I'll probably work on the Dios horn, Barroth horn, and Qurupeco horn.

Proven

This switch axe takes a lot of getting used to. I like the speed and the dodging, but I wonder if it really foes as much DMG as a GS or hammer.

Personally, I prefer the hammer cause you can run and charge for great DMG and you can also do the regular combo if the monster is wide open to mess them up some.

As for GS, I just like running, unsheathing, and attacking and then backing out.

Those two combined have me wary with this switch axe since it seems the range is shorter for some reason.

Still my highest DMG weapon so far though...
Oh snap, Kuro? I'm on 3DS XL, so I hope you don't have a WiiU or else I'll want to get one and then go online to watch you get eaten while I play on a Hunting Horn to the side.

Mileena

Banned
Join the crew. :)

The hardest thing about HH is choosing a horn to use. There is no singular best horn and it's really up to the party makeup and target to decide which horn is best to use. I don't have a horn arsenal built up yet, but I'm going to work on it. I'll probably work on the Dios horn, Barroth horn, and Qurupeco horn.
I can make the Dios horn. Is it good? Pretty big damage, on par with Dios switchaxe I think.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Dios Horn has a variety of uses, but only 2 songs are useful in any given battle. The rest really depend on what monster you're fighting.

The Dios songs really aren't terribly good, but if you're with other slime users it's still a good weapon. Snow/Mud negate is nice in certain fights, as is tremor resist. The rest of the songs aren't really worthwhile.

Pineconn

How do you tell when Wyvern Fire is up for GL/is there a HUD indicator besides just trying to fire it?

Two things. When you can't use Wyvern's Fire, you'll see a bright spot on the Gunlance where it splits. Also, when the GL is unsheathed, you'll see smoke puffing from it.

I can't believe I played this for almost the whole weekend. I had Bioshock Infinite and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to play but didn't even touch either one.

What happened?!

Unicorn

Why no flintstone drop Quropeco?

3 times. My rain of arrows had you stunlocked one round until death.

I shattered you. yet, no flintstones to be had :'(

burgerdog

What the hell does it take to kill a Ceadeus, I'm using a LI weapon that can't be upgraded until G rank and I was in spirit lv3 mode most of the time. I hit it with one dragonator, I unfortunately missed one, and had plenty of ballista shots connect. I am disappoint that I couldn't kill it(second time fighting it.)

ramyeon

Just repelled Caedeus in the last quest of the low rank missions. Tbh this was the least fun quest so far. Camera problems galore and Kayamba just not responding to my signal when I needed air was a pain in the ass. Managed to succeed the second time around after breaking his beard and horn the first time around. Glad that's over and done with.

burgerdog

Two Ceadeus posts back to back! I was able to repel him during my first attemp, but seriously unloaded on it the second time around and I still wasn't able to kill it. And yes, super boring quest.

Kyzon

Mkay us gaf. Anyone on right now? My gf in a fit of not knowing what she was doing (rage) somehow reset our router, and I just fixed it.... I think

ramyeon

Two Ceadeus posts back to back! I was able to repel him during my first attemp, but seriously unloaded on it the second time around and I still wasn't able to kill it. And yes, super boring quest.
His armour looks impressive but I want nothing to do with it haha, I really don't feel like fighting him again for a very long time. Glad I'm finally in high rank now though.

Also ordered a new router so hopefully that fixes my issues with getting online with my Wii U and will let me start hunting with some of you guys!

Morokh

Any way to tinker with the brightness in the game on the 3DS ? I find the game is way too bright compared to the WiiU one.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh snap, Kuro? I'm on 3DS XL, so I hope you don't have a WiiU or else I'll want to get one and then go online to watch you get eaten while I play on a Hunting Horn to the side.
Pfft like I would get a Wii U.

I put a lot of time in the original games, so it's all coming back to me.

Capcpcom made this iteration a lot more user friendly and slightly less grindy, so lucky for you guys.

For you Noobs, it'll take awhile to get the rhythm down, but think of it more as a game of observation. Recognize the patterns and attack when you can. You WILL have to dodge so don't go ape shit with your attacks. If you're careful, you don't need to really upgrade your armor; I'm using the leather armor you get in the beginning cause I'm too lazy to grind for better stuff. And that meal to weaken monsters is O fucking P.

I fucking HATE the underwater portions. I can't maneuver properly and I hate giving monsters free hits due to the shitty camera. That fish boss really makes me fucking rage.

The other new monsters look ok, but are freakin jokes so far with my fire switch axe. Nothing challenging like the stupid unicorn or blind fat blubber or dragon that can 2 shot you with high armor.

Hopefully, something harder and more rewarding comes along soon. I can pretty much stomp the crap out of all the monsters up to HR 3 that don't involve water.

Morokh

Ok now the game just went from fun to completely frustrating .....

Can't capture that damn Lagiacrus, I either kill it or the thing is limping like it has no legs for the second time and still won't let me put it to sleep and frankly fighting him over and over like that gets on my nerves BIG TIME, always staggered, stunned and thrown around without being able to do anything about it ....

Only other quest I got is the powderstone one ... which is about the same amount of (not) fun .....

ramyeon

Can't capture that damn Lagiacrus, I either kill it or the thing is limping like it has no legs for the second time and still won't let me put it to sleep and frankly fighting him over and over like that gets on my nerves BIG TIME, always staggered, stunned and thrown around without being able to do anything about it ....

Only other quest I got is the powderstone one ... which is about the same amount of (not) fun .....
For Lagiacrus gem your armor with 5 perception jewels for the Capture Guru skill. The monster's dot on the mini map will flash when it's ready to be captured. Trap and tranq. Easy.

For the Powderstone quest forge a set of Loc Lac armour (It's only 3 pieces and easy materials to find), that makes the quest a walk in the park as it has a low Heat Cancelling skill and Pro Transporter skill making it quicker to carry the stone.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Are you trapping it after he goes to sleep? That's a surefire way to capture.

Alex

If it retreats to the lair of the map, it's usually ready or 95% ready. Just keep extra trap mats on you in case you botch one and it really shouldn't be too hard.

Powderstone is pretty easy in my opinion, if you proc Felyne Supercat from your meal, even moreso. With simple pacing it's pretty simple to avoid any creatures (go 5 > 3 > 1 for your route) it's more about making sure you throw up your items before nabbing it so your stamina or drink doesn't drop partway through. Really, If you think that one is hard, you should have seen the bullshit in past MH games with it.

ramyeon

If it retreats to the lair of the map, it's usually ready or 95% ready. Just keep extra trap mats on you in case you botch one and it really shouldn't be too hard.
If it retreats to its lair it should be more than ready! That would be a 100% guaranteed capture I'd say.
Resilient said:
OMG whyyyyy won't you give me Lagi Horn, damnit damnit damnit.
Are you definitely breaking the head? I got one pretty much every time I did that.

Kyzon

I love how you can use the net on Zinogre's back when he falls over. Need about 4 more electrofurs. I'll get them later though, it's sleep time.

Also, I love how you can change colors on your armor :3

Resilient

If it retreats to its lair it should be more than ready! That would be a 100% guaranteed capture I'd say.

Are you definitely breaking the head? I got one pretty much every time I did that.

100%. I have a buddy on Hammer breaking the Horns, he's gotten 2, I've gotten none in about 7 runs now. Annoying because we both really want to finish our set but can't get em.

Just not lucky tonight :(

Alex

Not quite, if you don't see a limp, put a little more damage into it to be sure, but be careful. If they're nearly on E with HP and Stamina, they'll stop and head back but it doesn't always mean you've hit the exact weakened state yet unless you see it limping.

It's a bit tricky, but like all things Monster Hunter, easily remedied with an entire backpack filled with shit.

I said wow the first time entering Misty Peaks. Best looking area yet.

Best artistically, but it's pretty easy to tell it stems from the PSP as opposed from the Wii.

Playing the Port quests online is so much easier. Barroth was a joke with just one other person, while me by myself it took forever.

I sure as shit am not doing these quests solo anymore, hahaha.

I love how you can use the net on Zinogre's back when he falls over. Need about 4 more electrofurs. I'll get them later though, it's sleep time.

Also, I love how you can change colors on your armor :3

That's how you get Dracophage Bugs from Stygian Zinogre. Need 'em for dat bug armor.

ramyeon

Purple Ludroth was no joke. He just kept going and going. Had to down around 10 mega potions before I was finally able to drop him. And one of my Shakalaka companions stole the finishing strike :/ lol.

Can somebody make me a list of all of the US release Monster Hunter games, please?

I want to get all of them, but it's hard since all of the names confuse me, and the Japanese only stuff is confusing me even more, hahaha.

Fistwell

Anyone know of a fast way to get spider webs? They're rarer than rubies at this point...
As mentioned, you can gather them in misty map. Also, in daytime moga, you can get a cple from the bug gathering point in 3 across from the entrance to 4. You can sometimes gather them from some of the herb gathering points in moga woods, but it's pretty inconsistent.

Ew Ew Ew Ew. Gigginox makes me want to crawl out of skin.
G rank giggi is eeeewwwwww.

I've gotten attached to Long Swords early on because of the spirit gauge meta-game and the baller ass dodge swipe but now I'm interested in trying something else. I'm looking at a Great Sword but what's holding me back is how slow they hit. Are the hits that devastating that I won't have my DPS plunge down with comparable grade swords?

Raide

I've gotten attached to Long Swords early on because of the spirit gauge meta-game and the baller ass dodge swipe but now I'm interested in trying something else. I'm looking at a Great Sword but what's holding me back is how slow they hit. Are the hits that devastating that I won't have my DPS plunge down with comparable grade swords?

If you get the timing down, they can be very damaging. Just get use to missing and quickly rolling to recover. Also you will do more damage quickly unsheathing your weapon and draw hits and also charging it as well. The side slap-attack is also funny for KOing stuff. :D

ramyeon

This was too cool to not forge. Shame it's so weak compared to my Pecospander+ though lol. Love the cat sound it makes with every swing haha.

jS4WrsiVyitFY.jpg

Can somebody make me a list of all of the US release Monster Hunter games, please?

I want to get all of them, but it's hard since all of the names confuse me, and the Japanese only stuff is confusing me even more, hahaha.

Monster Hunter (PS2)
Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (PSP)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS/Wii U)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom