• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Also, obvious wish list for future MH: make the world seamless.

I think that MH4's traversal is their step towards that. The game flow is still based around monsters moving between small individual arenas, and I'd still rather have short loadtimes than have to run along some long arbitrary path to get between those areas. But if the areas are seperated by the terrain and area changes were caused by 'Diablos charged right through that fucking wall', 'Congalala climbed a huge tree' or 'Tigrex ran up that rock face' and you follow them accordingly with no loadtimes to break up the action that'd be awesome.

In my opinion the one HUGE flaw in this game is how freakin BRIGHT the caves are. Theres zero need to carry torches around now which severely impacts the Gigginox hunt and, in some cases, the Barioth one.

Yeah of the small lists of 'steps back from Tri' I hate this one as much as the water texture. The whole point of Barioth's eyes lighting up in ragemode was how scary he was in the dark! It was his thing, like Narga's red trails.

Alex

In my opinion the one HUGE flaw in this game is how freakin BRIGHT the caves are. Theres zero need to carry torches around now which severely impacts the Gigginox hunt and, in some cases, the Barioth one.

Might be due to feedback from the Wii version. I couldn't see shit in the caves on the Wii even with torches, although this is probably mostly to do with the cancerous image quality on that version with it's combination 360p widescreen and blur filter.

I think I bitched about the IQ in it from start to finish.

Also, obvious wish list for future MH: make the world seamless.

How do you briefly escape to drink potions and sharpen? How do the hunting mechanics continue to work as they do when you can see these massive monsters a mile off? Do they visually despawn when they move a few hundred feet away? Would buffing your fellow hunters suddenly work by an invisible radius instead of "same zone?"

I think the game works fine.

I mean I'd be fine if a zone change was just a quick fade with no load, but the mechanics are sound. Every piece fits into place.

O yeah, I totally forgot that you had to light torches in the caves in Tri to be able to see clearly. Lame that they made that useless now... I also miss the little sidequests like "break both Diablos' horns" and stuff like that.

DoubleTap

I wish future MH games would let you hide behind rocks, bushes and such to sharpen, recover, etc. so you don't need to leave the area.

Mupod

How do you briefly escape to drink potions and sharpen? How do the hunting mechanics continue to work as they do when you can see these massive monsters a mile off? Do they visually despawn when they move a few hundred feet away? Would buffing your fellow hunters suddenly work by an invisible radius instead of "same zone?"

I mean I'd be fine if a zone change was just a quick fade with no load, but the mechanics are sound. Every piece fits into place.

Well as I said I don't think it's impossible to adapt the current flow to a seamless system. It'd just require some creative area design, which is what it looks like MH4 is doing. For example in the videos if you watch them fight Kechawacha he switches between an upper and lower floor during the fight. If you had to back off to heal/sharpen you could just drop down yourself. I actually think retreating trivializes some monsters...I used to cheese G Rajang in the arena with farcasters during his ragemodes. So forcing you to either gem for fast sharpen, use flashbombs etc would be acceptable.

hope the Wii U version sold in the west I want MH4 on the big screen

what does HR stand for?

Stands for High Rank, the next level of quests above the basic stuff. It has new armors, monster subspecies etc. There's a G rank above that too.

And I believe they would never have put online into 4 if they weren't planning on bringing it here. I don't think they are expecting this to sell 5 million on the wii u or something stupid like that.

Alex

I'd just like to push a button to zone, but I've been saying that since like...2005?

It's hard to change any big things in MH, because the ebb and flow of the game is so finely tuned for what it is. Most of what I'd want is "quality of life" fixes, as they say. Better inventory management, combination armor, more integrated information for trees and skills and combat options, etc. This game REALLY needs better tutorial work also, less forced Zelda-like prologue (I HATE that they want to give MH more story, christ) and instead let people pick from menus about what they want to learn. Combat especially needs this, how many people still don't know about simple shit like unsheathe bonuses or sleep damage?

Not so much else in the way of the mechanics outside of additions and refinements to what's currently there. Again, I just don't think you can make a lot of core changes without breaking something, probably for the worse.

I wish future MH games would let you hide behind rocks, bushes and such to sharpen, recover, etc. so you don't need to leave the area.

You don't really need to do this in modern MH, monsters change focus each "turn" and you have three members offline and up to four online. Heck, you can accomplish most things by getting out of the path of danger during the next ability used.

DaBoss

You can, but the monsters will come after you. This game is about risk and reward, changing that would affect it severely.

Mondriaan

Yesterday I looked through the game manual and the in-game help for hunting horn songs/note combinations. I didn't see it anywhere.

What am I missing? Where did Capcom hide this information?

You don't need to hide to sharpen a weapon; every monster has an attack that basically gives you the time to sharpen; its quite easy to get the tell. Sure sometimes its 'close' but these things are so huge sometimes that'd it'd be ridiculous to hide behind something. They'd see you and hit you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd just like to push a button to zone, but I've been saying that since like...2005?

It's hard to change any big things in MH, because the ebb and flow of the game is so finely tuned for what it is. Most of what I'd want is "quality of life" fixes, as they say. Better inventory management, combination armor, more integrated information for trees and skills and combat options, etc. This game REALLY needs better tutorial work also, less forced Zelda-like prologue (I HATE that they want to give MH more story, christ) and instead let people pick from menus about what they want to learn. Combat especially needs this, how many people still don't know about simple shit like unsheathe bonuses or sleep damage?

Not so much else in the way of the mechanics outside of additions and refinements to what's currently there. Again, I just don't think you can make a lot of core changes without breaking something, probably for the worse.

Oh good god yes, if there's one complaint I have that I'd hope everyone can agree with its that the best job the game does at making information transparent is the comparison screen on the forge and its all downhill from there.

Yesterday I looked through the game manual and the in-game help for hunting horn songs/note combinations. I didn't see it anywhere.

Its on the info screens for the weapon itself. There's an option under the start menu to inspect your equipment, and one of the pages for the horn tells you what songs you can play

Mupod

Equipment menu. Look at your HH and flip pages a few times until you see them.

This game REALLY needs better tutorial work also, less forced Zelda-like prologue (I HATE that they want to give MH more story, christ) and instead let people pick from menus about what they want to learn. Combat especially needs this, how many people still don't know about simple shit like unsheathe bonuses or sleep damage?

People would never learn anything if they had to choose to learn something from a menu.

Honestly Tri/Ultimate has the best intro for teaching the basics though. It's not perfect, not enough about actually fighting monsters, but it is a great way to learn about movement and adjusting the camera and swinging weapons and gathering and cooking and such in a non-threatening environment.

I sold Ultimate to two different people by having them play the early hours of Tri on Wii before they played the demo.

They just need a quick question - "are you already an experienced hunter?" If so, they hand you some of the materials you would've been sent out to gather and start you on guild quests.

I think the game needs MORE forced tutorials for new people, such as for actual combat. Maybe something to run you through every function of a weapon. "Press A+X to apply a coating to your bow!" And it needs to be voice acted, because people mash buttons past text. Of course it should be optional if you identify as being experienced.

And I also want more story, the world seems interesting and could use a good dose of lore. My friend compared it to the Dark Sun D&D setting, which in some ways it is.

So...can anyone confirm.

If I download the tunneling app on the Wii U.

And I have the LAN adapter hooked up to the Wii U.

Can one person play on their 3DS and get online while someone else plays on the Wii U.

So in essence. I play on the Wii U. A buddy plays on his 3DS and we are both playing online in the same online "room" with two other people?

DoubleTap

You can, but the monsters will come after you. This game is about risk and reward, changing that would effect it severely.

If they can come after me and I'm behind an obstacle then it's not hiding. I'm talking about when a monster is knocked down or disoriented you should be able to buy a little time behind something until it tries to locate you. Risk / Reward would be, do you keep pounding it when it's down or try to recover AND sharpen behind a rock? It's no risk at all to run away to a different area to begin with.

Alex

People would never learn anything if they had to choose to learn something from a menu.

Honestly Tri/Ultimate has the best intro for teaching the basics though. It's not perfect, not enough about actually fighting monsters, but it is a great way to learn about movement and adjusting the camera and swinging weapons and gathering and cooking and such in a non-threatening environment.

I sold Ultimate to two different people by having them play the early hours of Tri on Wii before they played the demo.

They just need a quick question - "are you already an experienced hunter?" If so, they hand you some of the materials you would've been sent out to gather and start you on guild quests.

I think the game needs MORE forced tutorials for new people, such as for actual combat. Maybe something to run you through every function of a weapon. "Press A+X to apply a coating to your bow!" And it needs to be voice acted, because people mash buttons past text. Of course it should be optional if you identify as being experienced.

And I also want more story, the world seems interesting and could use a good dose of lore. My friend compared it to the Dark Sun D&D setting, which in some ways it is.

There's too much to teach per weapon, while I agree that your optional tutorial is a better idea than what I said, weapons should be taught on a case by case option at the players choosing.

I don't want more story, though. I mean lore, sure old tomes and more information about the world (especially since all the games take place in the same world, it'd be nice to draw them together in various ways better), but for the love of god, please less character text and don't replace it with cutscenes.

So...can anyone confirm.

If I download the tunneling app on the Wii U.

And I have the LAN adapter hooked up to the Wii U.

Can one person play on their 3DS and get online while someone else plays on the Wii U.

So in essence. I play on the Wii U. A buddy plays on his 3DS and we are both playing online in the same online "room" with two other people?

No. The reason has to do with wireless limitations - either the Wii U can go online, or it can act as a gateway for the 3DS.

Thank you sir.

You just saved me $10.

Nintendo and Capcom...they make me crazy.

However you can play online with someone else if you both have Wii Us in the same room. :) When the patch drops, your friend could play on the TV with his Wii U while you play on your game pad, with your Wii U plugged into power with no TV.

However you can play online with someone else if you both have Wii Us in the same room. :) When the patch drops, your friend could play on the TV while you play on your game pad, with your Wii U plugged into power with no TV.

Yep...that would work. A bit extravagant...but yes. ;)

I'm tempted to just buy my buddy a Wii U and the game just so we can play it together.

Mondriaan

There's too much to teach per weapon, while I agree that your optional tutorial is a better idea than what I said, weapons should be taught on a case by case option at the players choosing.

I don't want more story, though. I mean lore, sure old tomes and more information about the world (especially since all the games take place in the same world, it'd be nice to draw them together in various ways better), but for the love of god, please less character text and don't replace it with cutscenes.
I totally agree about keeping tutorials sparse- I don't need them to taking up more time. Having all the action stopped just so that a textbox can appear is not immersive, even if the text were to be appropriately sized for the screen. This is already intrusive enough and having more of that is a big turn off.

The NPCs already talk far too much, given how limited their roles are.

Mupod

Urgh Duramboros is a nob. Only just managed to do the urgent in the time limit. And that was just the village version.

Hell I timed out my first time in 3U, but I was overconfident and went in with a terrible qurupeco hunting horn and not nearly enough whetstones.

Simple bit of advice is not to run when he does the hammer spin. Wait for 2 spins and go in when he lifts his tail. If you stagger his legs during it he flops over for a LONG time giving you free shots at the humps. Getting used to his tells can get you other chances at them too.

Considering his huge HP values and that they take far, far more damage than any other points on his body, the entire fight could be said to focus upon hitting them.

DaBoss

If they can come after me and I'm behind an obstacle then it's not hiding. I'm talking about when a monster is knocked down or disoriented you should be able to buy a little time behind something until it tries to locate you. Risk / Reward would be, do you keep pounding it when it's down or try to recover AND sharpen behind a rock? It's no risk at all to run away to a different area to begin with.

If it's knocked down or disoriented, then why are you gonna run away to sharpen your weapon? :p

Unicorn

What's the soonest armor set that let's me fast charge as a bow user?

I want to K. O. quru faster. Was so satisfying to stubborn him with arrow rain until he was unconscious.

Disguises

So it's the first time I ran into another bow user online and he's got the hidden bow spamming the low level shots (just pressing X). Is there a benefit to this? The only time I saw him charge was when a monster was on it's back not moving and that was to pull off the arc shots. I try to charge up to L3 all the time since I heard you're better off taking the time to charge up rather than shoot many low level shots? I've played 70 hours with a bow so far so I'm still no expert. Can anyone shed any light onto this?

EDIT: Never mind - he thought they did the same amount of damage since they were L1,L2 and L3 charges were all L2 spread or something.

BONUS: While typing this, I got the best rewards screen ever
ufrEFH3.jpg

Mondriaan

Slime needs nerfing. Capcom did a great job of getting everyone to use the same weapons for everything. Dumb mistake.
There's a proud MH tradition of migrating to the most effective weapons.

By the time they got to end-game, everyone and their mother was using Akantor bows in Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Akantor bow was nerfed in Unite.

Mupod

Slime needs nerfing. Capcom did a great job of getting everyone to use the same weapons for everything. Dumb mistake.

I'm glad I'm maining hunting horns because I have an excuse not to use that shit other than wanting to be a unique snowflake. I can just rock out (literally, it's a guitar) with Stygian Zinogre's HH and give everybody attack up large. The Dios horns seem to have crappy notes in comparison.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Might be due to feedback from the Wii version. I couldn't see shit in the caves on the Wii even with torches, although this is probably mostly to do with the cancerous image quality on that version with it's combination 360p widescreen and blur filter.

I think I bitched about the IQ in it from start to finish.

Same.

I *love* that the caves are much brighter. Love it.

It's really weird how this game has such horrendous IQ on the Wii, but now it's full 1080p haha. And the bloom/blur has been scaled back a lot as well.

The only part I hate about the graphics is the water texture. So bad.

Unicorn

Same.

I *love* that the caves are much brighter. Love it.

It's really weird how this game has such horrendous IQ on the Wii, but not it's full 1080p haha. And the bloom/blur has been scaled back a lot as well.

The only part I hate about the graphics is the water texture. So bad.
Texture work in general is bad.

Though, light and shadows are much improved for the 3DS compared to PSP

I'm glad I'm maining hunting horns because I have an excuse not to use that shit other than wanting to be a unique snowflake. I can just rock out (literally, it's a guitar) with Stygian Zinogre's HH and give everybody attack up large. The Dios horns seem to have crappy notes in comparison.

I really want Zinogre's HH, looks so sick.
The issue with Dios' horn is that it's not useful for any particular fight. When am I going to use tremor negate with mud/snow negate? As far as I know none of the monsters have give both statuses.

Morokh

For the guys I was playing with, (King_mok, El_Topo ...) sorry I had to leave in a hurry to take care of a little emergency.

Mr E.

There are indeed partial sets, but they usually aren't monster-based sets and this isn't one of them. You unlock pieces of armor based on the parts you get from the monster. In this case I believe you need a Strange Beak, so break his stupid face next time and you should get one.

You don't have A certain piece of that helmet that "unlocks" it yet.

Thanks both.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Texture work in general is bad.

Though, light and shadows are much improved for the 3DS compared to PSP
The texture detail and color, given the texture size, is amazing! Next time you capture a monster take a close look.

A lot of you guys say a texture is bad because its blurry, thats not correct. A texture is bad when it doesnt maximize its size. A lot of these textures are 256x256 in size and the amount of detail they have is really amazing.

Andrex, youre glad that the bright caves have effectively killed a very interesting gameplay mechanic?

Mupod

I really want Zinogre's HH, looks so sick.
The issue with Dios' horn is that it's not useful for any particular fight. When am I going to use tremor negate with mud/snow negate? As far as I know none of the monsters have give both statuses.

It looks AND sounds amazing. I would not be lying if I said my entire reasoning for rushing through Village stuff to Ivory Lagi was so that I could fully upgrade it so I could use it exclusively in high rank online.

Oh man the Cha Cha and Kayamba dialogue when either wears the Ancient Mask is hilarious!

I love how giving them the Felyne/Melynx masks makes them meow and shit.

Xater

G Rank with my armor is total bullshit. One hit from Pink Rathian and I am dead. I want to get the Deviljho Armor but I can't get that fucking Narga Medulla. This is just super frustrating right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom