• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Does anyone know where you can fight against a Lagombi on High Rank? So far, I have cleared every Rank 4 quest online and haven't found a Lagombi yet. And there isn't any quest for it on Rank 5 yet. Maybe offline?

I don't recall fighting one in HR but you can in G-Rank. It's pretty easy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone know where you can fight against a Lagombi on High Rank? So far, I have cleared every Rank 4 quest online and haven't found a Lagombi yet. And there isn't any quest for it on Rank 5 yet. Maybe offline?

Yes, offline. Second set of HR quest (star 7?) in offline gives you a quest where you fight two at once.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A lot of people seem to have had trouble with that. Lagi never gave me any trouble fighting him or capturing him tbh. As far as water battles go, for me Gobul was actually more difficult and a pain in the ass. Going back and running circles around him was so satisfying.

I should just watch some videos of people killing Lagi. It shouldn't be this hard, but I just get hit far too much during that fight.

And thanks for the tips on underwater movement everyone - I'm going to give it a shot today and see how it goes!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
the latter, if I make it into a seperate NNID will that work?

Sorry for the late reply to this. I think that a separate NNID login is required, yeah. The MH3 appears set up to treat the 3 slot save file as a single save once you begin transferring between 3DS and back.

yami4ct

So...is the Kelbi Stingshot the only gamebreaking weapon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3ENsh3kRk

I'm a beginner, so not really in a position to know first hand, but it seems like slime in general is really broken. The Kelbi Bow is just a particularly egregious example. That's the major complaint about being broken I've heard.

There's a lot of talk about slime getting patched, but is that really viable? Has Monster Hunter even been patched in the past? Can they even patch the 3DS edition if they wanted to?

I should just watch some videos of people killing Lagi. It shouldn't be this hard, but I just get hit far too much during that fight.

And thanks for the tips on underwater movement everyone - I'm going to give it a shot today and see how it goes!

Aside from the move where Lagi coils up and then whips out its tail which I get hit by 90% of the time I didn't struggle with him too much. The main thing I'd advise is not getting greedy when fighting him in the water, save the walloping until it hits land then it behaves very similarly to a Royal Ludroth minutes that roll attack.

As far as when you can capture it, it limps like everything else. Wait until it drags itself to another zone, catch up to it and lay your trap.

yami4ct

Aside from the move where Lagi coils up and then whips out its tail which I get hit by 90% of the time I didn't struggle with him too much. The main thing I'd advice is not getting greedy when fighting him in the water, save the walloping until it hits land then it behaves very similarly to a Royal Ludroth minutes that roll attack.

As far as when you can capture it, it limps like everything else. Wait until it drags itself to another zone, catch up to it and lay your trap.

That damn tail swipe. Get's me every time. I can avoid every other move, but that tail swipe just gets me. Only other Lagi move that sometimes gets me in trouble is his electric dash.

Blitzhex

So here are some hunts that I've had with EuGAF on this saturday night!
It began with the vivid Qurupeco,followed by a quick conversion to the LS with a Royal Ludroth that asked nothing to end like this,then a really cool looking Pink Rathian that ended up with some primitive cosmetic surgery done by these gentlemens.
And last but not least,the...hmmm...well the rusty Duramboros if I may say,quite dangerous.

Awesome videos, love Anamanaguchi.

I'm a beginner, so not really in a position to know first hand, but it seems like slime in general is really broken. The Kelbi Bow is just a particularly egregious example. That's the major complaint about being broken I've heard.

There's a lot of talk about slime getting patched, but is that really viable? Has Monster Hunter even been patched in the past? Can they even patch the 3DS edition if they wanted to?
Yes, they can. The JP version of MH3U 3DS had some bugs when it first came out and Capcom released a few patches.

That damn tail swipe. Get's me every time. I can avoid every other move, but that tail swipe just gets me. Only other Lagi move that sometimes gets me in trouble is his electric dash.

I just finished doing the capture mission for him; I also didn't have Cha-Cha,
since he left on his spirit quest
. Needless to say, it was a bitch.

I spent a fair amount of time in multi on Saturday, getting new gear, and now, I'm plowing through single player mode, so that I can get all the village upgrades.

This has been my first MH game, and I'm already 50 hours in, between the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Xater

Man the Narga Medulla drop rate is bonkers. I don't know how often If have killed the damn thing now and nothing. I also always cut off the tail...

Apenheul

Just did the Wii U to 3DS transfer and felled a Lagiacrus on 3DS. It's slightly harder to control without a CPP XL but still doable. I'm going to try to create another NNID on Wii U with its own set of saves to make sure that I can play MH3U in coop locally with someone else.

Just did the Wii U to 3DS transfer and felled a Lagiacrus on 3DS. It's slightly harder to control without a CPP XL but still doable. I'm going to try to create another NNID on Wii U with its own set of saves to make sure that I can play MH3U in coop locally with someone else.

Target camera helps; but even then, I've found using both the target cam + CPP is ideal.

Yes, they can. The JP version of MH3U 3DS had some bugs when it first came out and Capcom released a few patches.

Think about the logistics though.

Let's say you never update your 3DS version or take it online, and you play through the Wii U connection.

What are they supposed to do? Could they update the Wii U packet relay tool to send packets that say "uh the guy on 3DS using kelbi bow is reporting that he's doing 500 damage, ignore that, he's really doing 200?"

What kind of data is being sent across? If the 3DS is doing its own processing to determine whether the monster should be dead or not, that could create some real inconsistency.

I guess they could update the packet relay tool to refuse connection if your 3DS copy isn't up to date...maybe it could even download the appropriate data and force the update.

DaBoss

Man the Narga Medulla drop rate is bonkers. I don't know how often If have killed the damn thing now and nothing. I also always cut off the tail...

I think killing is the best way to get it. I was going for Narga's set yesterday and I would cap it every time, but then I decided to kill it and I carved 2 medullas.

You're better of if you just get MHFU though, since it has al the content of freedom 1 and 2 + a whole lot more. Tri is also obsolete at this point, especially with the online part shutting down soon.

Thanks guys! I'll also pick up the first Monster Hunter game just for fun, even though I heard it was kind of shit, hahaha.

My friend has Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2, so I won't have to buy them. It'll be cool to try them and see how the Freedom games evolve.

I might buy the first Tri just because it's $5 at a local store right now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gabe from PA calling this game ugly is legitimately bothering me. What a shitty opinion.

Gabe from PA calling this game ugly is legitimately bothering me. What a shitty opinion.

Meh, he's an artist. He cares more about that sort of thing, and he probably also hasn't played enough to see Misty Peaks or the more amazing monsters and weapons and armor sets.

It's not exactly on par with modern games, even though I think it looks great as-is.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Lol trust me when I say I can relate to the artist thing.

Best weapon, armor and monster design in the business along with really good texture work and environment design even in the beginner areas, like the towns. If you think this game is ugly because you want more polygons then you have a shitty opinion.

Hoodbury

Gaf, i have some problems this week.

I have so much homework and all I really wanna do is play Monster Hunter..

What do i do?

:(

Heh, I got problems too. Just got season 2 of Game of thrones on blue ray. I also have Need for Speed which I haven't even opened yet.

I had to take yesterday off from playing since I got a hand cramp from playing too much on Friday and Saturday.

Problems problems problems. Not enough time in a day.

Lol trust me when I say I can relate to the artist thing.

Best weapon, armor and monster design in the business along with really good texture work and environment design even in the beginner areas, like the towns. If you think this game is ugly because you want more polygons then you have a shitty opinion.

But everything looks pretty awful up close when you're inspecting your hunter.

Just the distance of the normal camera when out hunting is enough to make it look great, though. :) It's that close up that wrecks it.

Textures are the only thing that are extremely... "meh" to me. However since the camera is typically zoomed out nice, the game does actually look really good. Do the bows only use the PSP assets? They seem to look worse for some reason. T-T

OH. Forgot to mention I'm picking up the 3DS version in addition later today, since then me and my GF can local co opify this business. And playing on the go helps too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
After the complete Rathian shooter armor set, now I've finished the Lagi fighter set. Yay.
Now it's time to pimp my weapons with high rank stuff.

I played great sword the most in Tri, they are fairly easy to use: You can dodge and guard, plus the reach and the damage are nice. Sure, it's slow, but so are lances.
Make sure your weapon is sharp though! You won't get many hits, therefore every bouncing hit is frustrating.

btw, I see a lot less people playing with GS and Lance in Ultimate compared to Tri. A pity.

Just makes us more special. :)

Mupod

Well the 3DS version is easily one of the best looking games on the system so I'm assuming he means the Wii U one. In that case it's beautiful in some ways and hideous in others. I mean, the fact that the game looks markedly worse than the Wii version in some ways (water, and Barroth for some reason) is pretty bad. I know it's because it's a 3DS port, but it can't have been THAT much more effort.

But through all this the monsters themselves are animated with such care it doesn't even matter how dated the engine is. I've been fighting Nargacuga and I can't get over how good some of his animations are, like how he gets all twitchy when he's angry even when idle. Or when he eats a Kelbi to regain stamina he furtively looks around before he starts chomping on it. Goes a long way towards presenting the illusion that they are real living creatures even though the environments may often look fairly blah. Misty Peaks does actually look awesome on the Wii U though.

What a shitty strip though. Is this their first MH comic ever? Always seemed odd that MH was always off of Penny Arcade's radar until now, you'd think at least the PSO comparisons would have piqued their interest at some point over the years. But man, all the dumb stuff they can make fun of and they can't even make a joke out of it.

Alex

Monster Hunter's artwork is outstanding, probably my favorite aesthetic design in a game along with Final Fantasy XI but it's a product of lower end hardware and uneven methods to be sure. Still comes across looking quite lovely on all of it's origin platforms but when you're cobbling all of it together onto an HD platform the results are going to be mixed.

I still have no complaints though, it meets my main two desires for visuals in a game; 1080p and good art. Of course, higher end assets would be lovely, and I'll always take the best I can get, but after about five minutes I kind of cease to care, honestly. The spectacle of high end assets are sort of lost on me lately, even as a predominately PC gamer.

Still, I will continue to crack my jokes about how they'll move to whatever platform allows them to keep recycling bits and bobs of assets, animation, engine work, etc because it's funny: next up, smart phones, then watches, then microwave displays. PRESS 2 AND COOK TO CHARGE YO' G.SWORD.

arimanius

After the complete Rathian shooter armor set, now I've finished the Lagi fighter set. Yay.
Now it's time to pimp my weapons with high rank stuff.

I played great sword the most in Tri, they are fairly easy to use: You can dodge and guard, plus the reach and the damage are nice. Sure, it's slow, but so are lances.
Make sure your weapon is sharp though! You won't get many hits, therefore every bouncing hit is frustrating.

btw, I see a lot less people playing with GS and Lance in Ultimate compared to Tri. A pity.

Never tried Lance until last week and I love it. Still need to work on combo's and counter attacking, need to find a guide, but so far it's awesome.

The only other MH game i've played was Tri and didn't get to far into it. Probably would of played it more if I gave Lance a try in it . Oh well, my eyes have been open. :)

Doorman

Man, after being away with family for the Easter weekend, I haven't played Monster Hunter since Friday evening. I feel like I've really "fallen behind" even though that doesn't make much sense.

Really need to get myself a high rank armor set. I don't feel comfortable playing in HR3 with other people without it, but getting one means farming HR3 monsters...hmm...

I should get back to raising my HR, but I've been grinding solo too much. Did Ceadeus with one minute to spare and got a strong "the real MH starts here" vibe from the aftermath. Luckily Purple Ludroth was a cakewalk, even though he took a lot of beating. I need a better longsword.

I was emptying my inventory after a Moga Woods resource hunt and got a Rathian Plate from Cha-Cha. That would have been really nice if I was after the Rathian set :p

I know I'm going to be shot for saying this, but looking at the MH4 trailer, I hope that we see more "modernization" of the game. I'm not saying I want it to be a super slick, causualized hack and slash, but they need to go back and look at how some of the game is done -- having armors have "blade mode" and "gunner mode" would be nice, instead of individually farming for each (this would only benefit schizos like me, not make the game easier), making skills/what they do less obscure, and updating a few of the control quirks (like it being difficult to just... face the other way... without running off...). Not saying lock ons, not saying hyper combos or any of that... just a bit of streamlining to get rid of the just plain bad stuff. Game still feels like a PS2 game in execution.

Being able to map the controller a bit differently when using a bow so that right stick aiming was more viable would be a nice addition. Not to make it a third person shooter, but to make it less dependent on the Dpad... Like X - toggle aiming, R - pull bow back.

Raging Spaniard

In my opinion the one HUGE flaw in this game is how freakin BRIGHT the caves are. Theres zero need to carry torches around now which severely impacts the Gigginox hunt and, in some cases, the Barioth one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom