• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckpebble

Any tips for Duramboros? I'm about to do the Urgent Mission for him, and from reading online, it sounds like a 30-40 minute battle at the minimum.

I'm using a Switch Axe with a paralyzing phial (Blitzkrieg Axe).

When he starts spinning, try your best to close in on his legs. The narrow part of his tail will clear your head, and if you can trip him out of that, he'll leave a shiny drop. I made the mistake of trying to block that attack with guard +2, basically it locks you down until your stamina is drained, so try to avoid that.

Real talk. How do you guys pronounce Arzuros? I've been in a debate with someone with whether you stress the first or second syllable and with whether the "ros" is like "rohs" or "ross."
This is what I hate the most when I'm playing with folks from NA, I never know how to pronounce monster's names.

I just say "rabbit monster". :(

TheExodu5

Banned
I need input. I'm deciding between Lagombi X armor and Volvidon X armor for my HH user.

Here is the summary:

LAGOMBI

mud/snow +10
sheathing +10
stam rec +10
dive dist +10
handicraft +3
unscathed +3
guts +2

Slots: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Thoughts: all of the skills are useful except for mud/snow which is a minor situational bonus. I can't make use of handicraft/unscathed/guts as I don't have a proper talisman for it. With the empty slots I could add something cheap like Attack +10 (other suggestions are welcome).

VOLVIDON

biology +10
tremor res +10
evasion +10
free element +4
fencing +4
water res -8

Slots: 3, 1, 2

Thoughts: the big bonus here is that I can easily gem diving distance. Tremor res is probably a bit more useful than mud/snow resist. All I'm really getting out of this armor is evasion and diving distance...though those seem very useful for hunting horn.

Input would be appreciated, as would suggestions for other armor.

Teknoman

The one thing I "dont like" about Monster Hunter online is that you feel like you fall behind if you miss a few days lol. Then again I guess its like that for any online game.

Ricky 7

I glitched the Barioth yesterday. He tried to do that flying clothesline move from the air on me whilst I was climbing up that ice wall in area 6 and it got stuck in the air and began to spaz out. It was literally just stuck there, it fell to the ground after I did enough damage to it. I should have recorded it.

Any tips for Duramboros? I'm about to do the Urgent Mission for him, and from reading online, it sounds like a 30-40 minute battle at the minimum.

I'm using a Switch Axe with a paralyzing phial (Blitzkrieg Axe).

He has a TON of health so you may have more luck just capturing him rather than killing him. I made the mistake of forgetting to bring capture gear with me when I first fought him and even though I had him limping about 15 minutes into the fight, I never was able to completely finish him off before running out of time (GS user by the way).

I've never killed him by the way - I've only ever captured him.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong and he was *not* limping after a few minutes of fighting him. I was just confused and he must have been tired instead.

Hoodbury

He has a TON of health so you may have more luck just capturing him rather than killing him. I made the mistake of forgetting to bring capture gear with me when I first fought him and even though I had him limping about 15 minutes into the fight, I never was able to completely finish him off before running out of time (GS user by the way).

How is that even possible? Are you sure you're not confusing limping with just tired/hungry?

When it starts limping, use a trap to stun it and throw 2 tranq bombs at it.

Sometimes it is easier to actually let the monster escape back to its lair and give it a chance to go to sleep. Then you just walk up, set the trap and get ready with the tranqs.

Usually setting the trap right next to the body works better than setting near the head (I've had monsters not get trapped when I've set it next to their head).

Also, its a good idea to bring a couple of trap tools and a couple of thunderbugs with you to make new traps if your shock trap doesn't work out. Assuming you don't mess up with a lower combination rate then that should give you an extra trap or two to try again.

Ridley327

I glitched the Barioth yesterday. He tried to do that flying clothesline move from the air on me whilst I was climbing up that ice wall in area 6 and it got stuck in the air and began to spaz out. It was literally just stuck there, it fell to the ground after I did enough damage to it. I should have recorded it.

We ran into a fun glitch during a Rathalos hunt where he went for his aerial stalking move, but he was over the cliff in D. Island 8 and he got stuck in place, so he was flying around in a pivot for a minute, which led to so much comedy.

How is that even possible? Are you sure you're not confusing limping with just tired/hungry?

Actually you could be right. He probably was just tired (I'm still a relative newbie at this game).

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I really think he must have been tired. Some of his movement animations look a LOT like limping to me...

Neo C.

The one thing I "dont like" about Monster Hunter online is that you feel like you fall behind if you miss a few days lol. Then again I guess its like that for any online game.

Some guys are already HR6 or higher, while I'm just at the beginning of HR4. I blame my cousin, I've done a lot of farming with him.

And sorry, Chie and Edayan, you guys just jumped at the worst timing (shortly after the beginning of a hunt). We'll do next time. :)

Raide

Arh. Hit a wall.

Cannot seem to do Ceadaus in Moga and I cannot seem to down Lagi for the HR1 Urgent. Got me so annoyed that I went to farm Rathalos. :D

You can knock down Duramboros during its ballerina spin. Just try to get underneath him as he winds up for it, then attack its legs during the spin and you'll knock him over. That's when you can do massive damage to its hump, the weakest point.

TheExodu5

Banned
Reposting for the new page, hoping for some input.

I need input. I'm deciding between Lagombi X armor and Volvidon X armor for my HH user.

Here is the summary:

LAGOMBI

mud/snow +10
sheathing +10
stam rec +10
dive dist +10
handicraft +3
unscathed +3
guts +2

Slots: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Thoughts: all of the skills are useful except for mud/snow which is a minor situational bonus. I can't make use of handicraft/unscathed/guts as I don't have a proper talisman for it. With the empty slots I could add something cheap like Attack +10 (other suggestions are welcome).

VOLVIDON

biology +10
tremor res +10
evasion +10
free element +4
fencing +4
water res -8

Slots: 3, 1, 2

Thoughts: the big bonus here is that I can easily gem diving distance. Tremor res is probably a bit more useful than mud/snow resist. All I'm really getting out of this armor is evasion and diving distance...though those seem very useful for hunting horn.

Input would be appreciated, as would suggestions for other armor.

But...they limp at 25% health...

So you did 75% of the damage in fifteen minutes but can never finish that last 25% over the next 30 minutes?

LOVE when I land the last hit of a LS spirit combo chain sweeping through the legs of a beast causing it to fall over, especially when it's a result of timing the start of the combo to meet the monster just as it's moving from A to B, not just when it's stunned and I have a clear window

Ken

I would just farm a set of Wroggi X as a first G rank armor. If you want evade distance and evasion up, Nargacuga X has Evasion 2, Sneak, and Evade Dist.

I don't know specific skills that HH benefit from but I wouldn't craft those armor for anyone.

High rank armor in low rank single player is lol

Kayamba can heal me so I don't need to bother

On the other hand, low rank Rathalos armor with -10 lightning resistance against high rank ivory Lagiacrus is lol in another way. That was way to close sometimes.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would just farm a set of Wroggi X as a first G rank armor. If you want evade distance and evasion up, Nargacuga X has Evasion 2, Sneak, and Evade Dist.

I don't know specific skills that HH benefit from but I wouldn't craft those armor for anyone.

Hmmm Nargacuga sounds solid then, thanks. I'll check out Wroggi in the time being.

Nargacuga would actually work out well since I want to get upgrade the Nargacuca HH, as it seems like one of the better mid-tier G-rank horns.

muu

Doesn't hurt to have a set of volvidon armor. Tremor and Biology bonuses are a big plus against Brachy and Uragaans too.

The 2ch HH thread archive recommends WroggiX Mail + Helios Z everywhere else + 2slot Talisman, btw. Supposedly it'll let you activate earplugs, evasion, handicraft and maestro all at the same time when properly gemmed.

Ken

On the other hand, low rank Rathalos armor with -10 lightning resistance against high rank ivory Lagiacrus is lol in another way. That was way to close sometimes.

I took a -35 Thunder set into G rank Zinogre yesterday, worried I'd get one-shotted and have to apologize. Everyone else dies but me and we fail. :(

^ Brachydios only has like one easily avoidable skill that causes tremor. I don't farm Uragaan so I guess it would help, but in the end Tremor Res has pretty few places where it's useful,

Biomaster seems like a waste of points. Dung Bombs work well enough on their own, slimeblight can be rolled off, and deodorant is cheap enough that crafting a set for two instances of stench (Volvi and Ura) seems a waste.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some monsters have terrible table manners! If I kill the Queperco that called you; eating it whilst am trying to carve is just rude!

KuGsj.gif

Satch

Banned
cutting tails with a gunlance is so much easier than just about every other option ive tried

why didnt anybody open my eyes to this sooner

You can knock down Duramboros during its ballerina spin. Just try to get underneath him as he winds up for it, then attack its legs during the spin and you'll knock him over. That's when you can do massive damage to its hump, the weakest point.

The first quarter of release is the hardcores, so you'll find the majority of players (about 80%) all be high rank and beyond, so finding rooms can be difficult if you're playing casually. I Had this problem at hr 1 and 2.

Mid Q2 all ranks will even out.

I'm closing in on Hunter Level 3 and I have a pecospander+ and full sets of Barroth and Lagiacrus armor is that good enough going into Hunter Level 3. I'm pondering grinding out Ratholos for his armor but am unsure.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So my copy finally came in today, so good. I'm still not very far, at the part where they said to go hunt guys underwater for practice. The controls are pretty intuitive once you get the hang of them and I'm loving the switch axe. Get the timing right and shit just dies instantly, poor stupid little charging guys never stood a chance once I got their timing down.

Ken

Silver Los is sooo boring. He spends so much time harmlessly in the air while everyone is waiting for him to come down.

beje

Banned
I just started and did my first two guild missions, getting used to the system so... what advice would you give to somebody with his first MH game? I barely don't know what to do with 80% of the items or the menus.

ajim

Unlocked G rank last night! Didn't get a chance to try any missions because had to head to bed, but, I sussed out some of quest descriptions and they're already looking awesome.

tbhysgb

My advice is it's normal lol. Just go with the flow, accept it and it will slowly come. Ask questions here. That's how I've approached it lol.

ugoo18

G rank Narga seems a lot more powerful than the other G rank monsters i've encountered so far (Currently HR7).

Specifically that tail slam it does that gets it stuck for a little while. That move can OHKO me without food boosts and with food boosts it can close or very close to OHKOing me (No other monster i've faced so far has any single move that comes close to doing that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom