• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobby

Man, like no one plays sword and shield online. I made the Giggi HR set last night to fool around with, along with a paralysis weapon (forget the name), and it's been pretty fun.

Also, any tips for gunlance? Want to give that a try.

chrono01

Haha, I'm glad to see that there are others [not only me] focusing on the single-player component. I see so many people discussing online, it made me feel as though I were one of the few.

If you're enjoying it now, once you start going online, oh man... Even going on to just help newbies complete their HR quests is addicting and satisfy. It also builds good karma.

Despite enjoying the game immensely already, I know that once I play online that the addiction will really increase. I look forward to/fear it!

Don't feel bad. The people who haven't completed single-player should feel bad!

Yes! Single-player is actually a lot of fun. I'm loving the dialogue with the NPC's, and just taking my time to enjoy the hunts is just an incredible experience.

I heard prior that this game had a lot of content, but I had no idea how much. Just when you think you're nearing the end...you're not, and I love that.

Mileena

Banned
Man, like no one plays sword and shield online. I made the Giggi HR set last night to fool around with, along with a paralysis weapon (forget the name), and it's been pretty fun.

I've not seen a single person rock SnS. I don't blame them, SnS is lame in every single game :p

Alex

Same here dude, same here.

I had them from 2004 until the Wii U, which no one else I know has or will buy!

It's an extremely rough adaptation having to rely on pick up groups to get things done (and part of the reason why I've probably played 1/4th of what I normally would have by now) as opposed to just being a group who will run something a million times in a row and get it done in record time just because you said to do so. :lol I still remember our rath plate hunts back on MHFU where I dont think the poor damn thing ever stayed on it's feet for more than 5 seconds.

As is with new folks, I'm often kind of restrained to even ask for things I need just because I don't want to inconvenience people. It's a weird kind of being almost internet sheltered since I've played with the same few people on everything the past decade that I need to get over.

On the plus side, it should be OK again with MH4. SO MAYBE I DONT.

Haha, I'm glad to see that there are others [not only me] focusing on the single-player component. I see so many people discussing online, it made me feel as though I were one of the few.

It's two sides of a coin, in my opinion. They compliment each other so well, after a bunch of online it's fun to go offline and vice versa.

You know you're too good for the Moga Village quests when you can down a Great Jaggi with two level 2 GS overhead swings.

And yet, I still need to get to the point where I can fully upgrade the farm and the boats.

just killed a whole mess of Great Jaggi

getting the hang of this learn patterns thing

falling in love with this game

still my Great Jaggi Armor set is missing boots going to take a dinner break and jump back in

Ken

omg it ran away yessssss

You can do the quest again to kill it since it retains whatever HP you left it at.

--

Going to farm G rank stuff for gear later if any NA players wants to join. I want to hunt Nargacuga, Zinogre, and maybe Stygian Zinogres.

Alex

I think I'm the only person I've seen rock a heavy bowgun even! Not much ranged in general, it's mostly all I use currently since they broke ranged entirely during vanilla Tri with it's shitty, underdeveloped parts system and bow removal. I have missed it.

Although, lets be honest, 75% of these people use Long Swords anyway AND DONT CUT TAILS :p, have seen less spirit blade flinging everyone around though. At least the last few days I've seen some more hammers. Hammers <3. Hammers are the cool kids of melee. You bonk things on the head and they fall down, it's a classic story.

Mondriaan

Same. Not seen it once.
It's not that surprising, really. DPS for SnS depends on attacking constantly, but you get tripped by basically everything and have to sharpen all the time.

By the time you can attack a monster pretty much 100% of the time, you're going to be able to finish quests with a great sword or hammer in about half the time it would take using a SnS. The only reason to learn to use SnS is to get decent arena times and for inflicting status effects for lulz.

WHAT. I've been using SnS for the past 40 hours or so and invested a good deal of zenny and resources into these weapons.. Any advice for switching?
Don't switch. We're being hyperbolic for the sake of entertainment.

Ken

I think I'm the only person I've seen rock a heavy bowgun even! Not much ranged in general, it's mostly all I use currently since they broke ranged entirely during vanilla Tri with it's shitty, underdeveloped parts system and bow removal. I have missed it.

Although, lets be honest, 75% of these people use Long Swords anyway AND DONT CUT TAILS :p, have seen less spirit blade flinging everyone around though. At least the last few days I've seen some more hammers. Hammers <3. Hammers are the cool kids of melee. You bonk things on the head and they fall down, it's a classic story.

I'M GOING TO ATTACK AND TRIP EVERYONE ATTACKING THE HORNS EVEN THOUGH ALL MY ATTACKS BOUNCE BECAUSE I NEED SPIRITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Alex

WHAT. I've been using SnS for the past 40 hours or so and invested a good deal of zenny and resources into these weapons.. Any advice for switching?

Your post goes really good with your avatar!

If it's working for you, stick with it. I'd say the main issues for SnS's niche status are 1.) cool factor 2.) versatility. Most people want a weapon that can easily bash in something, cut off something, etc, the type of versatility SnS brings is more fringe and harder to pull off but it's by no means bad or anything. Nothing in the game is bad, unless you're talking to the super duper min/maxers you wont play with anyway, like the dudes who hated on bows and horns back in FU.

FlyFaster

I'll be on in about 30 mins

Hosting a room and I'll be farming Azure Los, Lagi and possibly Zin.

Hit me up in game if you want to join, HR5.

NNID: ZenTea

in game - Zen

Clunker

Us 3DS owners are kind of forced to. :( But I am having a great-ass time.

I've finally gotten past the hump; I now am 100 percent on board with Mon Hun. I just scraped through the "capture a Qurupeco" 3-star quest, and it was a goddamned amazing experience solo. I left Cha Cha at home since he screwed up my last capture attempt on a Great Jaggi by killing him off, so I had to slug it out with a Qurupeco solo. And when you are slashing like mad only to see a Great Jaggi bust onto the scene from the corner of your eye, and then fall back for a split second only to see the weird ecosystem of G. Jaggi and smaller Jaggis band together to try to wrangle with a Qurupeco - all while you're sharpening like mad and readying a shock trap - it is freaking magical.

Chuckpebble

I feel like people avoid the guns because its harder to use starting off solo, and if you don't know what you're doing it can feel underpowered, but man is it a ton easier in a group. I'm surprised its not getting more use. Knocking retreating monsters out of the sky is better than landing a devastating GS hit.

Wish I had a WiiU now, I wanna spread my bowgun and SnS love.

Alex

can dual sword cut tails?

I think I'll be ready to go online later this week to solidify my addiction

Of course, it's just a bit harder with larger and more aggressive creatures. People make it work though, I just never got into it despite liking the style. Same with Horn, which is normally something I'd adore in any other game but don't quite care for in MH.

I feel like people avoid the guns because its harder to use starting off solo, and if you don't know what you're doing it can feel underpowered, but man is it a ton easier in a group. I'm surprised its not getting more use. Knocking retreating monsters out of the sky is better than landing a devastating GS hit.

HBG is pretty simple even offline in 3G (and I assume 3rd) since you got your two target dummies with you as opposed to just one. It's a whole new learning curve, but it's a great mix of DPS and support and a lot of fun, IMO. I never cared for LBG though, go big or go Bow!

I used SnS in Tri (and because of that I am using other weapons this time around) and it was more about not taking damage and always being up close than having any sort of offense.

With that said, with the Dual Blades there isn't much point in using it now unless you want to be an exhibitionist.

Beats

You can do the quest again to kill it since it retains whatever HP you left it at.

--

Going to farm G rank stuff for gear later if any NA players wants to join. I want to hunt Nargacuga, Zinogre, and maybe Stygian Zinogres.

I'll join you for Zinogre/S.Zinogre later. Still farming azure rathalos at the moment ._.

You should give in to your impulses. Sometimes they might lead to great things.

Filth

i bought a wii u just for this game. realllly good decision.

Ken

can dual sword cut tails?

I think I'll be ready to go online later this week to solidify my addiction

Yes, tails can be cut off when enough cut damage is done to it. Dual Swords deal cut damage.

I'll join you for Zinogre/S.Zinogre later. Still farming azure rathalos at the moment ._.

Ok, just send a short message or something. Just farming Silver Los at the moment for no reason.

ryz

Your post goes really good with your avatar!

If it's working for you, stick with it. I'd say the main issues for SnS's niche status are 1.) cool factor 2.) versatility. Most people want a weapon that can easily bash in something, cut off something, etc, the type of versatility SnS brings is more fringe and harder to pull off but it's by no means bad or anything. Nothing in the game is bad, unless you're talking to the super duper min/maxers you wont play with anyway, like the dudes who hated on bows and horns back in FU.

Haha, yes, now that you mention it! :)

Well, i actually wondered why it takes so goddamn long to break or cut stuff.. Thanks for some clarification.

Would i still be able to, let's say, cut off Royal Ludroth's tail with a hammer? Maybe a dumb question, but.. EVEN AFTER FOURTY HOURS i still feel like i don't know shit!

DaBoss

Haha, yes, now that you mention it! :)

Well, i actually wondered why it takes so goddamn long to break or cut stuff.. Thanks for some clarification.

Would i still be able to, let's say, cut off Royal Ludroth's tail with a hammer? Maybe a dumb question, but.. EVEN AFTER FOURTY HOURS i still feel like i don't know shit!

You can't cut off a tail with a hammer or a hunting horn.

B00TE

Goofing off with other weapons, makes me appreciate my GS more and more. Switch Axe and Long Sword are nice, but man do I miss the feeling of triumph when I land a charge with GS.

Looking to trying Bow or one of the bowguns next for a major shift in style. Any tips for the Bow, for right now? I started out with one in my group, but I felt like I was contributing the least.

Goofing off with other weapons, makes me appreciate my GS more and more. Switch Axe and Long Sword are nice, but man do I miss the feeling of triumph when I land a charge with GS.

Looking to trying Bow or one of the bowguns next for a major shift in style. Any tips for the Bow, for right now? I started out with one in my group, but I felt like I was contributing the least.

Try Hammer or Gunlance. Nothing better than KO'ing a monster for your team with a hammer slam or using wyvern fire on a dragon.

Raide

Keep moving and keep your distance. When the monster is open, rain down death upon their squishy heads. Getting use to aiming quickly, raining death and moving quickly is what wins the day. Also Sleep/Para something and bomb them. :D

thanks guys I'll stick with Dual Swords for a while longer

has Capcom given a date for the Wii U update?

I might get an XL for my train trips soon I have a 3DS but don't like the small screen

people who buy Wii Us for MonHun have my admiration GG

Alex

Three types of damage, impact, cut and shot. There's some of course modifiers with certain bowgun rounds though, like Slicing S and Crags or the melee with the Bow.

Certain things need to be destroyed by certain types, tail cuts would be the most common specific. In the end the bulk can be destroyed universally though by any type of damage. This is one of those things I think they need more in game transparency on, as opposed to rushing to wikia.

Haunted

Real talk: how viable is it having different monsters goad into fighting/attacking each other? Do they actually do proper damage or is it negligible? Had Crimson Qurupeco summon Joe and enjoyed running around to get Joe to hit Peco a couple times.

Concerning the ongoing LS vs Hammer debate, as someone who's switched to Gunlance for Ultimate: fuck em both and their spirit combo/upswing bullshit. :p Just a shame I can't use Wyvern Fire with 4 players as that would send absolutely everyone flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom