• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apenheul

SnS is very handy in one particular occasion IMO, when your team opts for sleepbombing Alatreon during the event quest. That little Jehn Kodachi or whatever it was called in Tri was pretty effective for getting Ala to sleep. Of course at some point you can build Ala / Jho hammers with which you can continuously stun Ala and kill in no time. Clustering Ala is lame though :p

B00TE

Try Hammer or Gunlance. Nothing better than KO'ing a monster for your team with a hammer slam or using wyvern fire on a dragon.
Yeah, I get ya. I actually have a hammer I use in some fights if we need the extra impact damage. And also because bashing things with a likeness of Rathalos' head is amusing.

Raide

Ooh. 4 charms off one mining spot. Got a +8 health one.

Yeah, I get ya. I actually have a hammer I use in some fights if we need the extra impact damage. And also because bashing things with a likeness of Rathalos' head is amusing.

KOing with a Bow is hilarious. You can keep some monster in a loop of death as spicy rocks rain down on them. Got my Rathalos kill down to about 8 mins :D

Mileena

Banned
thanks guys I'll stick with Dual Swords for a while longer

has Capcom given a date for the Wii U update?

I might get an XL for my train trips soon I have a 3DS but don't like the small screen

people who buy Wii Us for MonHun have my admiration GG

so... pretty much this whole thread

I love you too :)

Alex

The best feeling with a weapon, for my tastes, is watching a monster trying to fly away then getting that bowgun shot that pushes the flinch damage over and it falls out of the sky 50 feet onto it's face.

I said this earlier but the more I sit here and post over and over about combat and weapons and monsters in this game, the more you realize they REALLY need a tutorial for in-depth combat mechanics and weapon use in the future. The current intro tutorial is nice (although it should be optional) but it really doesn't tell you how like 90% of the things in a fight actually work.

B00TE

KOing with a Bow is hilarious. You can keep some monster in a loop of death as spicy rocks rain down on them. Got my Rathalos kill down to about 8 mins :D

Best time I had with a bow before I jumped back to GS was preventing a weakened Rathian from taking off about three times, I think. Was funny to watch my friends start to run off, then run back in a frenzy to try and kill it before it left again.

Ken

The best feeling with a weapon, for my tastes, is watching a monster trying to fly away then getting that bowgun shot that pushes the flinch damage over and it falls out of the sky onto it's face.

I said this earlier but the more I sit here and post over and over about combat and weapons and monsters in this game, the more you realize they REALLY need a tutorial for in-depth combat mechanics and weapon use in the future. The current intro tutorial is nice (although it should be optional) but it really doesn't tell you how like 90% of the things in a fight actually work.

Which HBGs/skills do you recommend for gunning? Can't decide if I want to make LBGs or HBGs first.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Us 3DS owners are kind of forced to. :( But I am having a great-ass time.

I've finally gotten past the hump; I now am 100 percent on board with Mon Hun. I just scraped through the "capture a Qurupeco" 3-star quest, and it was a goddamned amazing experience solo. I left Cha Cha at home since he screwed up my last capture attempt on a Great Jaggi by killing him off, so I had to slug it out with a Qurupeco solo. And when you are slashing like mad only to see a Great Jaggi bust onto the scene from the corner of your eye, and then fall back for a split second only to see the weird ecosystem of G. Jaggi and smaller Jaggis band together to try to wrangle with a Qurupeco - all while you're sharpening like mad and readying a shock trap - it is freaking magical.
We were doing that same Qurupeco quest, saw him tilt to the the side for his call and I'm like' uh oh...' *throws sonic bomb, misses* and he lets out this huge Rathian roar. Me and the bf are wailing away with our weapons and I see it lower down behind him 'uh... turn around!' He's like "Oh, shit!". Haha. Yet to fight one, farming Barroth for a while then will move on.

I love when G Jaggi comes out and all the little ones are bouncing in circles all around him - so cute but damn annoying. What I've always loved about the series is how realistic the monsters feel - the animation is just absurdly good.

Ceadeus: Epic music, not-so-epic underwater camera/controls :x Took me a bit to even attempt this battle, as I had the mind to first craft a Rathalos set (missing a plate, of course), then going with a Volvidon set with Attack Up M via some gems, and the best plain lance I could get. Poked his beard, and broke his horn with the dragonator. Drove him off with 15 minutes left, pretty neat. On to high rank!

Purple Ludroth: die die diiieeee *pokes with lance again and again*

-20 minutes later-

*poke poke poke poke*

HR Great Wroggi: Still sort of easy to find openings, but this thing takes so long to beat...

Pink Rathian: *gets one-shotted by tail, dies*

Alex

Which HBGs/skills do you recommend for gunning? Can't decide if I want to make LBGs or HBGs first.

LBG is more of a solo thang, and one I don't feel is as useful now that you get two minions as of 3rd and 3G (and forward into 4, I think?) but some people prefer the feel of them so whatever floats yer boat.

As for guns and skills, it's up to you what you want. I hate deviation (bullets drifting left/right), so that's the first thing I look to eliminate in my choices personally. As for skills, there's good wikia articles on gunner skills, stuff like shot damage up, auto-reload, faster reloads, etc. Pretty much anything you can think to correct or improve, you can skill for.

For online gunning, I also like to have a gun that supports good rounds with siege mode/crouch fire, which I think was added in 3rd, because reloadin is for suckas and 20 rounds of piercing is fun.

Make sure to look up the finer points of your ammo as well, if you're new to gunning, there's always a few discrepancies hidden in there for values and mechanics and whatnot. Also always pack your support shots if you're going online. Melee will blow you kisses when you paralyze things.

Ken

i'll make a room in a sec beats; currently in quest

LBG is more of a solo thang, and one I don't feel is as useful now that you get two minions as of 3rd and 3G (and forward into 4, I think?) but some people prefer the feel of them so whatever floats yer boat.

As for guns and skills, it's up to you what you want. I hate deviation (bullets drifting left/right), so that's the first thing I look to eliminate in my choices personally. As for skills, there's good wikia articles on gunner skills, stuff like shot damage up, auto-reload, faster reloads, etc. Pretty much anything you can think to correct or improve, you can skill for.

For online gunning, I also like to have a gun that supports good rounds with siege mode/crouch fire, which I think was added in 3rd, because reloadin is for suckas and 20 rounds of piercing is fun.

Make sure to look up the finer points of your ammo as well, if you're new to gunning, there's always a few discrepancies hidden in there for values and mechanics and whatnot. Also always pack your support shots if you're going online. Melee will blow you kisses when you paralyze things.

what do you think about limiter remove for hbgs?

wsippel

Banned
can't wait to find whatever that rock I need to get those boots done then I'll grind for the next strong set
A word of advice: Once upgraded, most sets offer pretty much the same protection. The main reasons for farming different sets are the skills and elemental resistances. So I'd suggest you only grind sets you really want, or you might burn out quickly. Also, keep in mind that your sets become useless once you advance in rank, as they can't be upgraded to a higher rank - even entry level high rank armor easily beats fully upgraded low rank armor. I went Leather -> Wroggi -> Wroggi S, and probably won't farm another set until G rank.

Real talk: how viable is it having different monsters goad into fighting/attacking each other? Do they actually do proper damage or is it negligible? Had Crimson Qurupeco summon Joe and enjoyed running around to get Joe to hit Peco a couple times.

Concerning the ongoing LS vs Hammer debate, as someone who's switched to Gunlance for Ultimate: fuck em both and their spirit combo/upswing bullshit. :p Just a shame I can't use Wyvern Fire with 4 players as that would send absolutely everyone flying.
I haven't started playing online and only have access to 3-star quests, but when I was fighting Great Jaggis I would run around them and between them as long as I could find a way out. Doing this would get the Great Jaggis to attack each other and their minions (not on purpose, they'd just happen to be in the way). It didn't happen often, but the Great Jaggis would sometimes kill off the little guys for me, which is awesome because I get resources even if I don't kill them myself and now I have 1 less thing to worry about when I charge my bow.

beje

Banned
Heh, I just noticed that if you access the internet browser while you're playing, it will suggest looking for "MH3U" and it will be already written in advance for you when you do a search so you just have to add the item you are looking for. I love Nintendo for these little details.

DaBoss

Should be a meme at this point:
moganightcharizardyjurc.png

Wouldn't surprise me if he saw this too.

Only those who got to High Rank Village quests will understand. :p

Santiako

Heh, I just noticed that if you access the internet browser while you're playing, it will suggest looking for "MH3U" and it will be already written in advance for you when you do a search so you just have to add the item you are looking for. I love Nintendo for these little details.

That's great, never noticed it. I always use my phone to check stuff while playing.

wsippel

Banned
Just fought Brachydios for the first time - he's piss easy as he pretty much never attacks you directly unless he's raging, but really fun to fight. The music certainly adds to the experience. Guess I'll farm him for a bit, some slime weapons should come in handy.

No one has really been a problem so far, I have Rimeblade and Jaggi Armor, and I unlocked Rathalos, Diablos, and Barioth. Are these guys much worse than those before them? Am I ready for them with my equips? Any special items I should bring along?

Also, is there anything special to do now that I got that Ancient Mask? Or do I just have to beat the guys I mentioned above?

wsippel

Banned
No one has really been a problem so far, I have Rimeblade and Jaggi Armor, and I unlocked Rathalos, Diablos, and Barioth. Are these guys much worse than those before them? Am I ready for them with my equips? Any special items I should bring along?

Also, is there anything special to do now that I got that Ancient Mask? Or do I just have to beat the guys I mentioned above?
Yes, they're quite a bit worse. You only need to beat Rathalos and Barioth though, Diablos is optional.

wsippel

Banned
To me, low rank was easy mode (Duramboros took a long time, though). Pink Rathian and Plesioth were a good deal harder.
I had no troubles with Plestioth, probably because I killed him many times in the demo. Pink Rathian on the other hand completely destroyed me at first.

I finally have a set of 6 awesome greatswords of different elements. Sadly, everyone and their mothers only seem to use slime weapons.

Seriously people, slime explosions are awesome but constant hits from their weaknesses is much better in 20 minute fights.

I'm starting to quietly stew when I enter new lobbies.

Also, Lucent nargacuga is easier than I thought, but at the same time tougher. I went through 10 dam antidotes!

Kouriozan

Ok, I've done Ceadeus with Spieler1, Pixelnix and Za warudo, that was intense!
First time for Pixelnix and underpowered armor for Za warudo, I had to rank them up too, but we managed to do it, thanks guys!

Haunted

Should be a meme at this point:
moganightcharizardyjurc.png

Wouldn't surprise me if he saw this too.

Only those who got to High Rank Village quests will understand. :p
Moga Woods at Night is the deadliest fucking place in the MonHun universe.

edit: why is one called Moga Woods and the other D. Island when they're both clearly the same place? It's a mystery to everyone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whooo, got a Rath plate on my second battle with him. And it was from a tear! (1% chance) Might try to go for some Rath armor. Any good?

Damn, is Duramboros supposed to take so long? I played Tri all the way through single player, and was part way through HR when I quit. So I just fought duramboros, and it took me a solid 40 minutes. The lagi cap quest immediately before it took me 12 minutes I think.

Am I doing something wrong? I saw somewhere that his humps were his weakspot, not his head, but I didn't know if that was for cut, impact, or both.

Ghost23

Hate to ask this, but would anyone happen to have an extra code for the Brady Games E-guide? Might as well ask before I consider putting down some money for it.

Pineconn

I had no troubles with Plestioth, probably because I killed him many times in the demo.

Me too, but I triple carted in the game. :( My problem is that I fished him out and he destroyed me with his tail spin. I had no problems with him in the water my second go.

Santiako

Just died after 35 minutes of fighting Brachydios (my first fight against him) T_T I was not ready for this, at least I came back to town with his tail and some slime.

google searched helped me me locate the needed machalite ore now have my full armor set

now I have to wait for Pelagicite Ore to upgrade my dual swords

Fire -10 is bad right?

I've still yet to play online. I'm up to 5-star quests in single player, so I'm guessing early online stuff should be pretty easy?

I'm making a room, please feel free to join up.

Free Play 3, Lobby 9, GAF-HR1

Edit: can people join me online once I've started a quest?

explodet

Duramboros? More like DuramBORING

He's an interesting fight and a funny design but he's such a damage sponge you just want the fight to be over after he takes so many hits while upright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom