• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Yeah, you just use them to remove any elemental blights you might get. So for instance, if you get hit by a fireball, you're health would drain, you can take a berry or roll to extinguish yourself. Ice and water I think makes your stamina drain faster. Thunder blight makes it easy for you to become dizzy. Dragon blight reduces your attack power and makes you have really bad negative affinity (at least, that's how it was in Tri). So yeah, nulberries are the one stop cure all for all of those ailments. In Tri you had to have a berry that was matched for each effect which was cumbersome.

Also, as stated earlier, these are also a good money maker, because you get good zenni for minimal resource points.

Just a few corrections to what you said:

Water makes your stamina recover slower. Ice makes your stamina drain faster.

Nulberries do not cure Dragonblight. They still have Dragonfell berries.

So GAF I need to know, how and when am I supposed to be able to forge/buy a Kelbi Bow. Is it just possible on High Rank or what? Haven't seen it so far.

From what I understand, it is end-game stuff. Not entirely sure.

Chuckpebble

Just a few corrections to what you said:

Water makes your stamina recover slower. Ice makes your stamina drain faster.

Nulberries do not cure Dragonblight. They still have Dragonfell berries.

Darn, I was hoping they were just there for making Dragon S still. Good to know.

Santiako

I believe it does add damage. Sharpness acts as a damage multiplier. There's a formula floating around. Haven't got the faintest as to how big or how small a multiplier sharpness actually is (we talking 0.5 to 2, or more 0.95 to 1.05?). Would be interested in finding out actually.

It does 1.2 times your weapon's raw listed damage vs. 1.05 times. So yes it's very good. It also boosts elemental but I forget the numbers for that.

EDIT:

Check out my spreadsheet:
Weapon Comparer
I use it to figure out which weapon is best based on affinity sharpness and raw power.

Thanks, I just got a nice Swax with a big blue sharpness chunk, so I guess I'll be using that for a while.

A menu will open once you talk to him in the village or tavern(local only).
Depending the mask he wears,he'll have differents abilities,the more you take him in quest(and Kayamba too),the more he'll master his mask,increasing his level and value(=better AI,mines are currently 20 and they are incredibly useful when soloing the tavern quests), slots(3 maximum) will open in the abilities selection,which will allow you to add more attacks ,buffs,traps,etc.
The dances(powerful buffs)and some abilities can be earned by trading rare items(2* generally)to captain Argozy.

Ah, thanks. I haven't paid much attention him but I've noticed him levelling up every once in a while. I should probably work on getting some more masks

Mupod

What is the max level for the companions anyways? I never used them in low rank but I've got them around 33 or so now. After getting that free Narga Medulla from chacha I guess they'll be permanent fixtures on my team, I'll have to deal with Diablos chasing them around the desert.

I've got Kayamba using the ultimate mask and paralysis attack, and it's great when it works, but I'd like to find a way to make it happen more consistently. I want it to go off once a fight, consistently. Maybe a more aggressive mask? Seems like the basic pincer mask might actually be the best for that.

Also does Mock Melynx eventually get ability slots after I raise the mastery a bit? Two guys with Paralyze would ensure it goes off at least once.

rugioh

Banned
How many stars are there in low rank village before moving on to high rank? I'm at 6 star right now and its my first MH game so I'm slowing down a bit, but still taking out the monsters one by one. Meanwhile I hear people are already plowing through HR singleplayer so I feel like I'm far behind :(

ramyeon

How many stars are there in low rank village before moving on to high rank? I'm at 6 star right now and its my first MH game so I'm slowing down a bit, but still taking out the monsters one by one. Meanwhile I hear people are already plowing through HR singleplayer so I feel like I'm far behind :(
6 star is high rank.

Fewr

I use the fluffy mask because guides say it focuses on gathering resources and it helps locate monsters (when you touch the signal button).

What the? I'm all out of quests. Killed Duramboros and Nibelfsnarf, carried the damn dragonstone egg thing and now the 5* quests have a yellow tick next to them.

What do I have to do?

Mupod

I use the fluffy mask because guides say it focuses on resources and it helps locate monsters (when you touch the signal button).

Fluffy mask is what I used for a while until I figured out all the zones monsters spawned in. If you want, psychoserum does almost the exact same thing. Fluffy mask (like autotracker) lets you see the monster's orientation and state though, so it's good to tell if something's asleep before moving in for the kill/capture.

It'd be interesting if fluffy mask makes them more likely to get carves from monsters though. I noticed that since equipping the Ultimate mask, Kayamba never gives me loot after quests anymore.

What the? I'm all out of quests. Killed Duramboros and Nibelfsnarf, carried the damn dragonstone egg thing and now the 5* quests have a yellow tick next to them.

What do I have to do?

Check your villager requests.

Fistwell

What do I have to do?
Farm, waterfall, cave, statue. Junior, cple of lagi scales, a sharq skin and something else I can't seem to remember right now.

I am playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite when not near my Wii U, and it's fantastic.

I like the village in Freedom Unite more than Moga (it feels like a real village), but it also has a much more depressing feel to it that doesn't make it very fun to have on in the background, hahaha.

DaBoss

Fluffy mask is what I used for a while until I figured out all the zones monsters spawned in. If you want, psychoserum does almost the exact same thing. Fluffy mask (like autotracker) lets you see the monster's orientation and state though, so it's good to tell if something's asleep before moving in for the kill/capture.

It'd be interesting if fluffy mask makes them more likely to get carves from monsters though. I noticed that since equipping the Ultimate mask, Kayamba never gives me loot after quests anymore.

Yup, noticed this too, dropped it after that I found that out. I want me some loot.

Rize_21

What is the max level for the companions anyways? I never used them in low rank but I've got them around 33 or so now. After getting that free Narga Medulla from chacha I guess they'll be permanent fixtures on my team, I'll have to deal with Diablos chasing them around the desert.

I've got Kayamba using the ultimate mask and paralysis attack, and it's great when it works, but I'd like to find a way to make it happen more consistently. I want it to go off once a fight, consistently. Maybe a more aggressive mask? Seems like the basic pincer mask might actually be the best for that.

Also does Mock Melynx eventually get ability slots after I raise the mastery a bit? Two guys with Paralyze would ensure it goes off at least once.

Yes!level 3(or maybe 2,I can't remember) for the first slot,the second slot comes one or two levels after.

Santiako

Damn! It's going to take me hours to get all this shit done. Do I need to get through all of them to proceed? My urge to play is going to dip hard if I have to

You only have to make Chacha's mask. Go check the statue at the farm, then talk to Junior to see the requirements, get them and the next quest will open up.

I am playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite when not near my Wii U, and it's fantastic.

I like the village in Freedom Unite more than Moga (it feels like a real village), but it also has a much more depressing feel to it that doesn't make it very fun to have on in the background, hahaha.

Yes, i liked the village in Unite more too. I don't understand how the people in Moga can walk around on those moving drifting boardfloors without getting seasick :p Also the farm in Unite is 10x better than in Tri/Ultimate.

JoV

Congratulations. You have passed this game's first barrier.

Is the Qurupeco acknowledged as a bit of a pain in the arse for newcomers? I realised pretty quickly your paintbombs wear off.....the hard way. Took a bit of searching to find him afterwards.

One thing I don't get is why your attacks bounce sometimes. Is it because you are attacking the wrong part of the body, or because my weapon is not strong enough?

DaBoss

Is the Qurupeco acknowledged as a bit of a pain in the arse for newcomers? I realised pretty quickly your paintbombs wear off.....the hard way. Took a bit of searching to find him afterwards.

One thing I don't get is why your attacks bounce sometimes. Is it because you are attacking the wrong part of the body, or because my weapon is not strong enough?

In this game it seems to be the case since there were many people posting they had trouble with Qurupeco.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It's because your weapon is not sharp enough (make sure to be sharpening if your Sharpness falls below Yellow at the very least). Peco's wings are pretty hard and your early weapons will likely be bouncing off. You can try to attack his face and neck, in between them and it probably won't bounce. If all else fails, attack him from his squishy behind.

explodet

Personally, the Qurupeco is still a pain in the ass for me and I'm in High Rank now.
Just something about him makes him really annoying.

Qurupecco to me (in Tri) was more of a stepping stone, than a pain in the ass. I had massive problems with Great Jaggi, since it was the first time I had to really time my Great Sword moves, learn how to dodge, read and memorize attack telegraphs etc.

Qurupecco also introduces various hitzones and protected bodyparts, that make your weapons bounce off if they aren't strong enough or not sharp enough.
If your weapon bounces off while being at full sharpness (or maximum damage range for bows) it simply is too weak to damage that body part, so you better find out which body part you need to hit.

Fistwell

It's both. Different parts of the monster are harder or softer. They require diferent levels of sharpness for the hit to not bounce. Quru's flintstones are hard. Guessing they need green sharpness? Other parts of quru are squishier, like his face, belly, ass, etc.

Edit: beaten, like a los face with a hammer.

If your weapon bounces off while being at full sharpness (or maximum damage range for bows) it simply is too weak to damage that body part
It still damages the monster however, unless they radically changed things from 2F and unite, in which I'd spend 30mins bouncing hits off of a gravios (or monoblos was it?) to kill it.

Clunker

In this game it seems to be the case since there were many people posting they had trouble with Qurupeco.
As a new guy, I can say Qurupeco was definitely the first time where I felt real pressure from the game - I ran out of potions and messed up by forgetting to paintball him once, so it took me much, much longer than anything else prior. I did manage to beat him on my first try, but I barely scraped by and I was definitely humbled. It was also the first time I got to see different monster species interact and tag-team me, so it definitely felt like the first truly dynamic Mon Hun experience.

And the capture quest made me a man!

Raide

With this ability, does he actually stop fighting? Can he still distract the monsters?

If you give him the right dances and abilities, he tends to focus more on that than fighting things. Remember, he is still a target for monsters and can still go into rage if KO'd. They willo also put down bombs if you do as well. I personally have Cha Cha and Kayamba on Gathering and Support duties.

Rize_21

A good thing to know about the masks,the cumulated experience of master is only for the wearer,which means the other shakalaka gets nothing for the same mask.It's better to dedicate the masks of your choice to one and the other,in order to get an easier upgrade.

Korezo

How do you awaken weapons? been using a weapon for a while and wiki says it has poison stats but mine doesn't. Once awaken does the new stat stay permanently?

DoubleTap

Thanks for the info everyone! I have the fluffy mask just displayed in the hut, as I wasn't sure if Cha-Cha would just tag along next to me if he wore it. He'd be a liability that way :p

Raide

How do you awaken weapons? been using a weapon for a while and wiki says it has poison stats but mine doesn't. Once awaken does the new stat stay permanently?

Think you need an armor skill for Awaken.

Thanks for the info everyone! I have the fluffy mask just displayed in the hut, as I wasn't sure if Cha-Cha would just tag along next to me if he wore it. He'd be a liability that way :p

I dunno, having a squishy target for monsters to go after, other than me of course, is pretty handy. :D

Mupod

You need the awakening armor skill, and that element will only be active when you have that skill. Near as I can tell it's g-rank only in this game, like sharpness+1.

ryz

I currently have the Chainmail Equipment, and i'm falling in love with the Longsword. For which Armor should i aim? I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Mupod

I currently have the Chainmail Equipment, and i'm falling in love with the Longsword. For which Armor should i aim? I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Jaggi or Wroggi are good early sets that are easy to make. Stick to full armor sets until you've got armor skills figured out, and defense is much less important than armor skills.

Don't worry about it and take your time

MoHun is my go-to game. As in go-to when standing in line, waiting rooms, bathroom, watching shitty TV, lying in bed before sleep, etc.

I'll be playing this for a faaar forseeable future. Unless Capcom completely surprises it's US audience and brings over MoHun4 within a decent time frame... if ever

Hoodbury

Damn! It's going to take me hours to get all this shit done. Do I need to get through all of them to proceed? My urge to play is going to dip hard if I have to

No, you just need to do the village request for the new cha cha mask, the ancient mask. It's not too bad, you probably already have all the parts for it anyway, except maybe the sharqskin.

explodet

The sharqskin was the biggest pain for me. I had to go into the Sunken Treasures rank 1 quest with the starting dual blades, whack sharqs in area 9 and 10 exactly four times, stab them with the harpoon once or twice, carve, and watch as I not carve a skin from them until I tried the mission for the third time.

Apparently I was dealing with fish that didn't have skin, only exposed muscle and organs.

Raide

The sharqskin was the biggest pain for me. I had to go into the Sunken Treasures rank 1 quest with the starting dual blades, whack sharqs in area 9 and 10 exactly four times, stab them with the harpoon once or twice, carve, and watch as I not carve a skin from them until I tried the mission for the third time.

Apparently I was dealing with fish that didn't have skin, only exposed muscle and organs.

I got lucky and went for Free Hunt mode, killed a few and got nothing and then found out ChaCha had skinned one. :D

Hoodbury

I just did it by free hunting in moga woods. A good tip would be to not bring cha cha or Kam with you. They were with me the first couple times and they kept killing the sharqs while I was stabbing them. I set them to stay behind and got it done lickety split.

Frodo

I bought this game on the eShop yesterday, but seriously, I can't play it because of LEGO City Undercover. I never thought I would be able to enjoy a Lego game, but there it is. Right in my face.

But just playing around the menus a little bit yesterday, what on earth is that DLC thing? You can download new quests? Items? Is it paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom