• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo C.

I feel like people avoid the guns because its harder to use starting off solo, and if you don't know what you're doing it can feel underpowered, but man is it a ton easier in a group. I'm surprised its not getting more use. Knocking retreating monsters out of the sky is better than landing a devastating GS hit.

Wish I had a WiiU now, I wanna spread my bowgun and SnS love.

(Light) bowgun user here. First it was a bit frustrating because it was weak, but now I can make a group much stronger thanks to the different playstyle.

I'm more surprised I haven't seen many dual swords wielder though, at least in EU GAF.

panda21

as a new MoHoer how far in the SP should you be to be able to tackle the HR quests with randoms online? when i'm playing with other low HR people I tend to get worked over pretty bad.

I have Azuros armour and a primo zugong, just got to the 3 star quests in moga village.

Raide

as a new MoHoer how far in the SP should you be to be able to tackle the HR quests with randoms online? when i'm playing with other low HR people I tend to get worked over pretty bad.

I have Azuros armour and a primo zugong, just got to the 3 star quests in moga village.

While not a requirement, finishing the Moga stuff will give you a good understanding of the various battles, plus you will have better gear. The HR1 and 2 stuff should be fairly straightforward as long as you have moderate weapons and gear, else battles go on for ages and ages.

NeoRausch

]blacky[;52357824 said:
Can’t understand why everybody plays with the pro-controller. The Wii U-Gamepad feels so good! Controls are complex but elaborate– and that that is what I like about games. It is nice to do the item combinations with the gamepad and choose bombs and health. Also to lock on and choose between different big monsters while you can see on wich you are currently locked on is a nice feature.
Only thing that is a bit annoying: I sometimes press the Y-Button accidentally.

Game is extremely addictive.

lightweight, comfy and small. And I'm used to the way after 500 hrs. of Trip with the CCPro.

oh, and 28 decades of runtime on one charge.

ramyeon

I'm new to the series as well and although I haven't tried online yet due to internet problems, single player was great in getting me prepared I think. After completing all the low rank village quests I feel like I know the ins and outs and am much better equipped for what comes next.
I missed it lost 6 charms and on a timer so any screen cap of this button would be helpful
my vision is poor so hurry up timer and unknown steps need help not to lose anymore of them please
After you appraise them and can check what they do, the button to send them to your box is directly below and says "Send to box". I would screen cap it but that'd mean I'd have to find some, next time I do I'll take a photo if no one else has by then. It really is right there though it'd be very very hard to miss.

Rize_21

Hmm what is this in the Gobul's stomach?
uGOaMr1.jpg
A shakalaka's corpse maybe?so that's how they look like unmasked!

Raide

I missed it lost 6 charms and on a timer so any screen cap of this button would be helpful
my vision is poor so hurry up timer and unknown steps need help not to lose anymore of them please

It is a little tricky. You have to choose to Send to Box, it shows your the list of Charms and you then select the ones you wish to send and then select the option below the box (In blue I think) that says SEND TO BOX. Only send the ones that are good and sell the rest.

After you appraise them and can check what they do, the button to send them to your box is directly below and says "Send to box". I would screen cap it but that'd mean I'd have to find some, next time I do I'll take a photo if no one else has by then. It really is right there though it'd be very very hard to miss.

I believe you I'll go back to the spot I found them again right now and grind for them again
I just never saw a send to box click

I am searching youtube before I go back

Raide

I believe you I'll go back to the spot I found them again right now and grind for them again
I just never saw a send to box click

I am searching youtube before I go back

On the right side where is displays the charms, it is right at the bottom of the box with all the slots in. Won't highlight until you select the charms to send. Then it pops up to make it more visible.

Lyonaz

Loving my Windeater Longsword, I totally wrecked Lagiacrus and cut off his tail during the urgent quest to repel him for the first time.

The Grill Mask on Cha Cha is fantastic, a double BBQ spit and doesn't take an inventory slot. Got the Waka Waka Dance and one of his default dances and get regular Health Recovery S and L, no need for lots of potions.

Trying other weapons now, made the Leader Shotels dual blades and loving it, currently using it for my Free Hunts. Also planning to try the Lance and Bow.

I can see myself spending hours and hours on this game. I will try to make every armor set available. It's doable right?

On the right side where is displays the charms, it is right at the bottom of the box with all the slots in. Won't highlight until you select the charms to send. Then it pops up to make it more visible.

I think I see it on a Tri Wii video hope it is the same going to go for it

hope that blue crystal shows up it is the only mine point I know for them

Raide

Speaking of Cha Cha, how do you make him actually do stuff? I thought it was all auto

Clicking his Signal can get him to do certain things like the Fluffy Mask monster ping etc but most of it is due to his stats and level. Also, sticking him on Gathering seems to make him focus more on collecting and doing support than going crazy and taking on Rathian.

I think I see it on a Tri Wii video hope it is the same going to go for it

hope that blue crystal shows up it is the only mine point I know for them

When the appraisal box appears the right will list them. Press Right on the stick and press A to highlight the ones you want and then press Down a few times to select Send To Box.

man I feel stupid that button was just text
LLShC.gif

got 3 of them put away successfully
3AQmK.gif

oh well would have had more but ran out of pick axes

thanks for the help guys one issue out of the way

how do I get better pick axes?

Reknoc

man I feel stupid that button was just text
LLShC.gif

got 3 of them put away successfully
3AQmK.gif

oh well would have had more but ran out of pick axes

thanks for the help guys one issue out of the way

how do I get better pick axes?

I believe Mega Picks are Machalite + Bone. I find Machalite a pain in the arse to find though so I just buy iron picks from the store lol

ramyeon

Tip of the heavens -.-

I also did not know it matters on what part you cut/loot a monsters body, ... learning is fun.
You mean when carving a corpse? It doesn't matter which part you do it on. You get rewards for breaking certain parts of the body but these are always given after the quest is complete (In the cap/break reward section of your loot). Tails you can cut off physically and have to carve though.

ahdurian

so I've never played a MH game yet..is the 3DS version a decent way to start off?
I'm mostly out of my house, so I don't get too much time to play console games

Rize_21

Speaking of Cha Cha, how do you make him actually do stuff? I thought it was all auto

A menu will open once you talk to him in the village or tavern(local only).
Depending the mask he wears,he'll have differents abilities,the more you take him in quest(and Kayamba too),the more he'll master his mask,increasing his level and value(=better AI,mines are currently 20 and they are incredibly useful when soloing the tavern quests), slots(3 maximum) will open in the abilities selection,which will allow you to add more attacks ,buffs,traps,etc.
The dances(powerful buffs)and some abilities can be earned by trading rare items(2* generally)to captain Argozy.

Mr E.

Noob question.

Once you have completed a Jaggi armour set do you need to hang on to Jaggi stuff. J.Claw, Hide etc? I see these can fetch some decent money but I don't want to sell on stuff I might need later.

Thanks.

Also is there a list of stuff that is safe to sell ? Are all items useful or are some just to generate funds?

Fewr

Noob question.

Once you have completed a Jaggi armour set do you need to hang on to Jaggi stuff. J.Claw, Hide etc? I see these can fetch some decent money but I don't want to sell on stuff I might need later.

Thanks.

Also is there a list of stuff that is safe to sell ? Are all items useful or are some just to generate funds?
They become super easy to kill later, so imho sell. Also, on farm make as many nullberries as you can and do the kelbi horn quest or go to the normal island for two minutes then come back and a day will have passed. When nullberries are ready sell them all, and you'll get plenty of money.
Make sure you get the 5k resources DLC btw.

so I've never played a MH game yet..is the 3DS version a decent way to start off?
I'm mostly out of my house, so I don't get too much time to play console games
Yes, best game so far for newcomers. You start with all weapons, decent armor, loads of resources, and from what veterans have said here, some monsters are easier. CPP is nice to have, but not100% necessary unless you're a gunner or bowman.

Mr E.

They become super easy to kill later, so imho sell. Also, on farm make as many nullberries as you can and do the kelbi horn quest or go to the normal island for two minutes then come back and a day will have passed. When nullberries are ready sell them all, and you'll get plenty of money.
Love this place, instant answers, much appreciated.

Hobby

So, I got a charm with charmer+6, but, uh, where am I supposed to get the other +4? I can't gem for it, as far as I can tell.

for the 7th time this morning I turn off my Wii U only to see a cool post on here that I got to check if I even have a nullberry love that money grind

Mupod

Oh man I was killing Nargacugas all night for the last Medulla I needed, only had time for one more before bed and I got nothing. Then I check cha-cha's inventory and he somehow managed to steal one with his melynx mask. I have no idea how he'd steal something like that but no complaints.

I am now a ninja who fights monsters by playing his electric guitar. I don't see how it can get any better than that.

I can probably play online again from tonight onwards too.

ramyeon

Noob question.

Thanks.

I've never sold anything tbh. I just make money from farming nulberries and doing quests and have had no less than 100k since 3 stars or so. I'd keep most monster materials since you can use them later on with high rank armor sets as well and it beats farming for them again. Only sell if you really need to and have no other way to make cash.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, best game so far for newcomers. You start with all weapons, decent armor, loads of resources, and from what veterans have said here, some monsters are easier. CPP is nice to have, but not100% necessary unless you're a gunner or bowman.
I agree.

Though I would say for sure monsters are easier. They hit for less dmg, their stupid roars don't stun as long, their tail swings seem to have a lower hit box, it's easier to get out of stuns, you a and you have the benefit of a streamlined farm, cook, and decent NPCs.

Just...fuck the underwater portions.... :(

Mupod

I've never sold anything tbh. I just make money from farming nulberries and doing quests and have had no less than 100k since 3 stars or so. I'd keep most monster materials since you can use them later on with high rank armor sets as well and it beats farming for them again. Only sell if you really need to and have no other way to make cash.

It's good to hang on to random stuff. As an example, my Nargacuga set required a bunch of pelts from Arzuros. I never had any use for his gear, but I didn't vendor his parts in case I needed it. Decorations tend to require random monster parts as well and you never know what bad skill you'll need a Barioth tusk or something to gem out.

Now when you start doing something like farming Jhen Mohran for elder dragon blood, you will end up with 50+ extra carapaces or whatever. Then it's fair game to sell stuff, and it becomes a major source of income. I've got hundreds of thousands of zenny worth of Jhen/Narga parts right now if I need money.

Fewr

I agree.

Though I would say for sure monsters are easier. They hit for less dmg, their stupid roars don't stun as long, their tail swings seem to have a lower hit box, it's easier to get out of stuns, you a and you have the benefit of a streamlined farm, cook, and decent NPCs.

Just...fuck the underwater portions.... :(
I agree, but I also think it's safe to sell great jaggi stuff (except king's frill). They'll get the money they need, and soon they'll be killing great jaggis often for the resources. From Qurupeco onwards I would recommend not to sell.

Chuckpebble

So I just wrapped up all of the village quests that are available to me. I guess I have to make the ancient mask to get more quests. Haven't seen Agna, Los or Uragaan quests yet.

After beating Volvidon, I was really happy. He was a lot of fun. Then I got sad when I noticed his gunner and blade armors are identical. Then I realized this is true for Arzuros and Lagombi too. Man.

Fistwell

Does the blue sharpness add much damage to the weapon? Or is it just a matter or will it bounce or not?
I believe it does add damage. Sharpness acts as a damage multiplier. There's a formula floating around. Haven't got the faintest as to how big or how small a multiplier sharpness actually is (we talking 0.5 to 2, or more 0.95 to 1.05?). Would be interested in finding out actually.

Chuckpebble

Does the blue sharpness add much damage to the weapon? Or is it just a matter or will it bounce or not?

It does 1.2 times your weapon's raw listed damage vs. 1.05 times. So yes it's very good. It also boosts elemental but I forget the numbers for that.

EDIT:

I believe it does add damage. Sharpness acts as a damage multiplier. There's a formula floating around. Haven't got the faintest as to how big or how small a multiplier sharpness actually is (we talking 0.5 to 2, or more 0.95 to 1.05?). Would be interested in finding out actually.

Check out my spreadsheet:
Weapon Comparer
I use it to figure out which weapon is best based on affinity sharpness and raw power.

explodet

Last night my partner wanted some Lagi horns, so I switched out my axe for a hammer made out of the head of a Rathalos. Once on land he fell into a well placed pit trap, and I proceeded to pound his face in.

Seeing Lagi KO'd and seeing stars, buried halfway in a pit was damn satisfying, I tell you what.

Mupod

They changed it a bit in this game so I can't give a definitive answer. Although as far as I know the only difference from Tri is they nerfed purple sharpness a little.

Here's a lazily copy/pasted chart from Grahf's old damage FAQ:

| Color | Raw [SHARP] | Elemental [ESHARP] |
|-----------+----------------------+---------------------------|
| Red | 0.50 | 0.25 |
| Orange | 0.75 | 0.50 |
| Yellow | 1.0 | 0.75 |
| Green | 1.05 | 1.0 |
| Blue | 1.20 | 1.0625 |
| White | 1.32 | 1.125 |
| Purple | 1.50 | 1.20 |

note: I think purple is like 1.40 raw now, or something like that. Still good, just not godly ridiculous.

Chuckpebble

what are some other use for nulberry? it seem to fight all elementals

Yeah, you just use them to remove any elemental blights you might get. So for instance, if you get hit by a fireball, you're health would drain, you can take a berry or roll to extinguish yourself. Ice and water I think makes your stamina drain faster. Thunder blight makes it easy for you to become dizzy. Dragon blight reduces your attack power and makes you have really bad negative affinity (at least, that's how it was in Tri). So yeah, nulberries are the one stop cure all for all of those ailments. In Tri you had to have a berry that was matched for each effect which was cumbersome.

Also, as stated earlier, these are also a good money maker, because you get good zenni for minimal resource points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom