• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

I bought this game on the eShop yesterday, but seriously, I can't play it because of LEGO City Undercover. I never thought I would be able to enjoy a Lego game, but there it is. Right in my face.

But just playing around the menus a little bit yesterday, what on earth is that DLC thing? You can download new quests? Items? Is it paid?

New free weekly dlc quests.

ryz

Jaggi or Wroggi are good early sets that are easy to make. Stick to full armor sets until you've got armor skills figured out, and defense is much less important than armor skills.

Okay thanks, will do. So generally i also shouldn't spend armor sphere(+)'s until i will wear them for longer? They seem kind of hard to come by..

You only have to make Chacha's mask. Go check the statue at the farm, then talk to Junior to see the requirements, get them and the next quest will open up.

Cool. Only took me a few minutes to get the Sharqskin and those few pieces of ore

Anyway, I beat Rathalos and Barioth. Shit was tense as fuck. I used an ice longsword to dispatch Rathalos after a long battle where I nearly went through my entire supply of potions. Afterwards, I skinned that fucker and then used the remains to make a fire great sword. OMG! The ass whooping I put on Barioth. Poor baby. The great sword hits so chunky, got damn. When Barioth's tail fell off it I could feel that slice in my heart. Kayamba was putting in work too, he managed to break the tusks lol

Just Diablos and then the big bad. Don't tell me these are all the big monsters I'm going to see? :(

Mupod

I bought this game on the eShop yesterday, but seriously, I can't play it because of LEGO City Undercover. I never thought I would be able to enjoy a Lego game, but there it is. Right in my face.

But just playing around the menus a little bit yesterday, what on earth is that DLC thing? You can download new quests? Items? Is it paid?

MH gets free event quests you can download. Often they give special unique gear you can only get from that event. Sometimes there are really nasty monsters in them, like super giants or ones that enrage every time you hit them.

In Tri, this was a cycle of events that'd go up for a period of time and you could only play them when they were available. Since this was designed as a portable game it uses the method established in the PSP games - they occasionally put new stuff up and then you can download it and keep it forever.

Fistwell

Man, break over, back to work. Work sucks, man. Can't get my monhun on. ;_;

@Euro-GAF: who's gonna be on tonight? I could do with a bit of miralis farming. I want me his flaming LS and/or GS. Kinda wanted to farm the event more as well, I wanted to at least get the jacket to go with my hot leather pants. I don't think I have it in me to trudge through it 4 times for the shades though. I mean they look rad, but fuck me, that's a lot of crap to wade through for a pair of glasses.

Then again, there's also soccer on tv, so I'm not even sure how much I'll be able to play.

Don't tell me these are all the big monsters I'm going to see? :(
Oh there's more in high rank, more still in g rank.

Mupod

Cool. Only took me a few minutes to get the Sharqskin and those few pieces of ore

Anyway, I beat Rathalos and Barioth. Shit was tense as fuck. I used an ice longsword to dispatch Rathalos after a long battle where I nearly went through my entire supply of potions. Afterwards, I skinned that fucker and then used the remains to make a fire great sword. OMG! The ass whooping I put on Barioth. Poor baby. The great sword hits so chunky, got damn. When Barioth's tail fell off it I could feel that slice in my heart. Kayamba was putting in work too, he managed to break the tusks lol

Just Diablos and then the big bad. Don't tell me these are all the big monsters I'm going to see? :(

'Just' Diablos, haha. After that you've still got Uragaan and Agnaktor, the latter is a real bastard. And that's just low rank, there's plenty more in high rank. Lots of subspecies who often fight very differently, as well as things like Nargacuga, Zinogre, Jhen Mohran, Deviljho who don't have low rank equivalents at all.

dwix

Hit HR 2 online last night, have one piece left for my Rathalos set, and got the Chainslaughter this morning... This game is bad for my sleeping habits.

Is the starting hunting horn pretty useful online? I'm still trying to find that good secondary weapon for when we have enough longswords in the group.

Coldsnap

Guess I am making a Barroth armor set for my Hammer user. Even though it doesn't have Marathon Runner anymore it's got a lot of attack +, especially when decorating it with attack + jewels. What should be my next armor set?

Okay so 1: Apparently there are an absolute shit ton of masks for the Shakalakas in this one, some of them sounding very useful, namely the pitfall trap mask and the cannon mask. How the hell do I get those?!

Also, I went with Giggi gunner armor in low rank, since it had that awesome Status ATK+ skill (I love me some poison), and ended up killing Baleful Giggi, only to find that it's armor has what appears to be the best two bow skills possible! Lowering stamina drain and reducing charge times? YES. So now here I am waiting until I can get home/get a good moment to start farming the crap out of him for that armor.

Sadly, though, I need a Wyvern Stone, which I've heard is.... quite rare. Profound sadness.

Palmer_v1

I have no problem farming for things like Rath plates or rubies, but I fucking hate having to poison several hundred insects just to get some damned Monster Broth.

Mupod

Nice. Thought I'd be on my way to derivative county

If this was Tri, you almost would be.

Guess I am making a Barroth armor set for my Hammer user. Even though it doesn't have Marathon Runner anymore it's got a lot of attack +, especially when decorating it with attack + jewels. What should be my next armor set?

Volvidon's set is awesome for everybody. And super easy to make, I got it in maybe 4 runs none of which took more than 10 minutes or so.

Hoodbury

That dang desire sensor. I am trying to get a Ratholos Ruby; my higher ranked friend joins to help out and in the first two hunts he gets two of them and in 10 or so I get none.

I did get to pull off one epic move though. He was doing his flying charge from across the map at me and instead of rolling out of the way I started doing an overhead charge with my GS. I got it to a 1 or 2 charge before he was upon me and I released it and broke his face and sent him crashing down to the ground right in front of me. Epic moment.

Mupod

Okay so 1: Apparently there are an absolute shit ton of masks for the Shakalakas in this one, some of them sounding very useful, namely the pitfall trap mask and the cannon mask. How the hell do I get those?!

Not sure about the pitfall mask, it just showed up in the requests eventually. Cannon mask is related to Jhen I believe, you can unlock him from a request in 7*.

Mock Melynx is my favorite mask by far (steals from monsters, apparently from their 'body carve' table), as I said earlier I was farming Nargas for a rare drop and hadn't managed to get it before I went to bed, but Cha-Cha stole me one from the last run I did. Pawprint Stamps were a real bastard to get...of course, after I finally got the last one, every single shiny from Felynes I pick up is now a Pawprint Stamp.

Disguises

Also, I went with Giggi gunner armor in low rank, since it had that awesome Status ATK+ skill (I love me some poison), and ended up killing Baleful Giggi, only to find that it's armor has what appears to be the best two bow skills possible! Lowering stamina drain and reducing charge times? YES. So now here I am waiting until I can get home/get a good moment to start farming the crap out of him for that armor.
Errr...The baleful giggi armour only has fast charge, not lower stamina drain. It has a skill called "Stam Drain" which causes arc shots to drain more stamina I guess (and exhaust coatings).

Edit: "Stamina" skill to get you Marathon Runner is what you need. I'm using full P.Ludroth gear at the moment and don't want to change. Any suggestions on what armour to focus on next for Bows?

Rize_21

35 minutes on the G Duramboros with the blazing falchion...too bad stones can't be bought,I'd just want to be able to be lacking of respect against this thing with this.

Pyrokai

I really want to get this....

Got the Wii version but couldn't get into it.

Does the tablet make this easier to get into? :p . I've always WANTED to get into these games but haven't succeeded yet. I think the barrier is the only problem but I'm guessing that once you break it and you're in, you're in nice and guud :>

Sound about right? :p

Errr...The baleful giggi armour only has fast charge, not lower stamina drain. It has a skill called "Stam Drain" which causes arc shots to drain more stamina I guess (and exhaust coatings).

Edit: "Stamina" skill to get you Marathon Runner is what you need. I'm using full P.Ludroth gear at the moment and don't want to change. Any suggestions on what armour to focus on next for Bows?

Ah. Regardless, it's the fast charge that makes me drool. Being able to keep up the offensive faster would be great. If I can gem in the Marathon Runner then I'd be golden. In a perfect world I'd find two charms that had slots, one that I could flip on for Marathon Runner and one for Status Atk+. Oh well haha.

Mupod

Does the tablet make this easier to get into? :p . I've always WANTED to get into these games but haven't succeeded yet. I think the barrier is the only problem but I'm guessing that once you break it and you're in, you're in nice and guud :>

I don't think the tablet does much specifically for getting into the game. But this one's a bit easier than the Wii game, I guess. It's still a game that takes longer to gain a basic understanding of than your average current gen AAA title takes to finish.

Their MH comic strip was lame, but it was really interesting reading the Penny Arcade newspost about their experiences. Tycho wasn't dissuaded by the long boring intro at all, Gabe gave up immediately.

Raide

The opening target for the Wii-U version is much easier than Tri. You start off with a good armor set and all the basic weapons to play with and all the early solo monsters are toned down. Sure there is a grind for items later on but you should not have too many issues getting what you want.

Way more relaxed to jump int than Tri but you still have to learn how combat works but at least you have plenty of options that suit your playstyle.

Disguises

Ah. Regardless, it's the fast charge that makes me drool. Being able to keep up the offensive faster would be great. If I can gem in the Marathon Runner then I'd be golden. In a perfect world I'd find two charms that had slots, one that I could flip on for Marathon Runner and one for Status Atk+. Oh well haha.
Yeah P Ludroth gives me Marathon Runner and Status Atk+ (+2 with gem) and I've also gemmed in sleep/poison coating depending on my bow. Would like a new armour to focus on next though :/. Fast charge sounds like a good plan. I also want Status atk and marathon runner though :S.

Mazzo

Sadly, though, I need a Wyvern Stone, which I've heard is.... quite rare. Profound sadness.

It seems they're much less rare than they were in Tri. I've got about 10 of them already, 2 in a single run.

My goodness at the hitbox on Diablos' tail. Felt like I wasn't making any progress at all because he was in rage mode until he walked into a level 3 charged slice and fell over haha

Yeah P Ludroth gives me Marathon Runner and Status Atk+ (+2 with gem) and I've also gemmed in sleep/poison coating depending on my bow. Would like a new armour to focus on next though :/. Fast charge sounds like a good plan. I also want Status atk and marathon runner though :S.

You can gem in coatings? o_O How?

On a side note, I can't solo B Giggi. Shakas just don't have enough attack output. D;

robot

Fought my first Qurupeco. He was 10x tougher than a G. Jaggi. Took about 35 minutes but eventually won, the main problem was him flying away - is there something I can do to prevent that? I'm using Sword & Shield.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fought my first Qurupeco. He was 10x tougher than a G. Jaggi. Took about 35 minutes but eventually won, the main problem was him flying away - is there something I can do to prevent that? I'm using Sword & Shield.

Was your problem finding him? Hit him with a paintball

Hoodbury

Not really besides knocking him out right before he leaves, or staggering him will give you a little more time with him.

Just paintball him and you'll always know where he is.

Mupod

Not really, get used to it when dealing with flying wyverns. Nargacuga drives me nuts since he flies back and forth across Flooded Forest every 3 minutes. Best you can do is keep him paintballed and learn the fastest routes/shortcuts between areas.

You can sometimes hinder their retreats with timely staggers, flash bombs and traps, but if it wants to change areas it'll keep trying to do that. After a while you learn which areas they favor and can start heading there in anticipation, although this is usually most reliable when they are retreating to feed/regain stamina.

vareon

Just got to HR3, and a friend asked me (and three other HR3 friends) to take on Brachydios.

GODDAMN what an intense fight. I love this game.

burgerdog

Just got to HR3, and a friend asked me (and three other HR3 friends) to take on Brachydios.

GODDAMN what an intense fight. I love this game.

OMG how did five of you join a room? Konami code? It all makes sense now! You, your friend, and three other friends.

Chuckpebble

Umm, I would remove that link, personally.

Click it. It seems to be on the up and up.

All credit goes to Bradygames and Capcom.
524 of 524 pages uploaded.
There are bound to be mistakes somewhere.
If you actually want to contribute to the wikia, start with the armor info on the bottom.
Better tables for the 3U armor pages will be coming soon.

Or am I reading that wrong.

Never mind, seems stupidly wrong. I still am glad I have the searchable PDF in my iPod.

vareon

OMG how did five of you join a room? Konami code? It all makes sense now! You, your friend, and three other friends.

Of course, the fifth friends looks behind my shoulder and screams when the time is right!

Yea my mistake lol. He had the urgent quest, the other three (including me) just unlocked the HR3 quests.

DaBoss

Wyvern Stones can be gotten from a lot of monsters so you're bound to get many.

The brady guide is on the wiki, did anyone else know this?

That's illegal.

burgerdog

Of course, the fifth friends looks behind my shoulder and screams when the time is right!

Yea my mistake lol. He had the urgent quest, the other three (including me) just unlocked the HR3 quests.

Just having a bit of fun, so how hard did it hit you guys with LR armor? When I did it I feared every single hit because it did 50% of my health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom