• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robot

Was your problem finding him? Hit him with a paintball

Yea I've been paintballing the shit out of him, problem is he gets away and I have to chase him. Honestly it was such a step up from G. Jaggi I just wasn't prepared. I'm assuming 35 minutes isn't unheard of on a first bout w/ a new monster. This game is getting crazy.

Hoodbury

Yea I've been paintballing the shit out of him, problem is he gets away and I have to chase him. Honestly it was such a step up from G. Jaggi I just wasn't prepared. I'm assuming 35 minutes isn't unheard of on a first bout w/ a new monster. This game is getting crazy.

It's not a Peco special thing, all monsters will be leaving areas. It's more troublesome for the flying ones since they can fly across zones instead of just go to the next one over like walking ones.

But basically, get use to it. :p

Can someone explain Cha-Cha to me? I just unlocked him but stopped playing.

Should I take him hunting? What does he do? Can he die?

I was getting a good handle on some of the game mechanics but they threw this wrench in my understanding

DoubleTap

I was getting a good handle on some of the game mechanics but they threw this wrench in my understanding

Basically - think of him as a rodeo clown. He'll distract the monsters so you can have at them. He'll help attacking and gathering too.

He can faint just like you.

He's your hunting partner basically. You can take him on quests and stuff and he'll help you out. He can do things like attack, collect items on his own, and even do weird little dances that have various effects. I mostly use him as a distraction though. While the monsters are busy attacking him, I take the time to heal myself and do other things. (i'm a terrible person) He can be knocked out in battle after losing all his health, but the little bugger comes right back after a bit. You can also make cool masks for him later on in the game that can do some neat things.

Sure! You can find a resource map here http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Tundra

Helpful for mining efficiency!

Man, you have no idea how helpful that is.

Raide

A question for those that know. Can you explain the different ranks. I have 5 start on the Moga stuff and now HR2 on the Tanzia Port stuff. Some of the items I need say they are High Rank, where is that in relation to the later G rank stuff? Seems like it could take ages to upgrade my weapons if I have to get High Rank stuff. Cheers!

A question for those that know. Can you explain the different ranks. I have 5 start on the Moga stuff and now HR2 on the Tanzia Port stuff. Some of the items I need say they are High Rank, where is that in relation to the later G rank stuff? Seems like it could take ages to upgrade my weapons if I have to get High Rank stuff. Cheers!

There's a boost in stats between low-, high- and G-armor so you will eventually have to build new equips each time. On the other hand, you keep upgrading your same weapons, but the materials needed will eventually increase in level so you have to wait until they are available for you in one of the towns' quests.

Caedeus... I didn't know they can make a fight like this even more boring. It takes 4-5 mins to get the area 3 unless there's a shortcut I don't know about.

Thanks guys, That makes it easier to understand. I'll have to check out that mask stuff. I like the idea of having him to gather items.

On a related note, the wiki is surprisingly lacking. It doesnt do a very good job of explaining the underlying mechanics, its like the game itself in that way. I think I would be completely lost without this thread.

Raide

There's a boost in stats between low-, high- and G-armor so you will eventually have to build new equips each time. On the other hand, you keep upgrading your same weapons, but the materials needed will eventually increase in level so you have to wait until they are available for you in one of the towns' quests.

Where is the division between Low and High? Is it a certain amount of Stars in the Tanzia Port stuff? Seems odd to have already collected the mats for an upgrade, yet one object is High Rank.

explodet

Thanks guys, That makes it easier to understand. I'll have to check out that mask stuff. I like the idea of having him to gather items.

On a related note, the wiki is surprisingly lacking. It doesnt do a very good job of explaining the underlying mechanics, its like the game itself in that way. I think I would be completely lost without this thread.
The wiki indeed is lacking. It doesn't seem to handle the Tri to 3U transition very well.

Even with a guide you'll still be asking questions. For me, it was where to find Butterfly Beetles. ( You get them hiring hunters in the solo tavern, on high rank quests)

Where is the division between Low and High? Is it a certain amount of Stars in the Tanzia Port stuff? Seems odd to have already collected the mats for an upgrade, yet one object is High Rank.

Well, in the quest window you'll have some big banner either saying ,,high'' or ,,low'' on top :p
The materials will sometimes get new names, but mostly they are just called ,material'+ on high rank. However, there's still materials from lower ranks mixed in. Sometimes you might need materials from several ranks, that's just how it is. I now need materials from low- and G-rank Ceadeus for my equip.

Emitan

fucking cheap ass rathian

hits me with her tail spin thing and poisons me

i have like 2 HP left

die from poison before I can even sheath :(

Raide

Well, in the quest window you'll have some big banner either saying ,,high'' or ,,low'' on top :p
The materials will sometimes get new names, but mostly they are just called ,material'+ on high rank. However, there's still materials from lower ranks mixed in. Sometimes you might need materials from several ranks, that's just how it is. I now need materials from low- and G-rank Ceadeus for my equip.

Aahhh! I see what you mean! It basically means I have not done enough starts to get High Rank :p Too much time in Moga Town. I am guessing over 5 Stars is High Rank?

Also, is Thunder Attack the same as Lightning? I.e The Ingot Set increases Thunder Damage, so does it work with Lightning Element weapons?

Ridley327

The DLC quest for the Switch Axe is fun, if a bit too easy. I will say that I do appreciate the fact that it does seem to be rather good for the rare materials for the three monsters, because I managed to get five Rath Rubies, a Zinogre Jasper, and a Narga Medulla in the runs I did.

The SA looks pretty awesome and has good stats for something that's Rare 5.

Anteo

Oh yeah it took me nearly 40 minutes with my bow the first time. I think the low damage output + G.Jaggi screwing me every time he could was the problem.

burgerdog

oh my god FUCK G RANK this is BULLSHIT

What's wrong? I reached it last night and immediately did about 6 quests and I was only carted twice. Who are you farming?

edit: Blah, I'm 1 material away from upgrading a bunch of weapons and I don't want to make a room because randoms choose a quest before you even get to say hi. Grinding away at HR village quests :O boourns

edit 2: holy crap, I had ONE zenny last night and now I'm up to 170k due to G rank, sweet!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's wrong? I reached it last night and immediately did about 6 quests and I was only carted twice.

qKhaVbE.png

Satch

Banned
I meant monster, situation, etc. v_v

Gimme a war story!

there was no WAR STORY to tell. it was a massacre ;_;

we got g-rank pink rathian'd

so far, the pink rathian has proven to consistently be the hardest enemy in her class. it's the only one i've never been able to beat. azure rathalos is nothing compared to her.

Fistwell

Well have you actually reached G rank in this game? Or are you just taking pot shots without knowing what you're talking about?

Edit: hahaaahaha, weird is actually playing nintendoland, wtf holmes?

e5YuU.gif
Just the way he said it attracted such a response.
Cool, dont answer questions, roll your eyes, fantastic conversation. So, it's not what he said it's the way he said it...?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
there was no WAR STORY to tell. it was a massacre ;_;

we got g-rank pink rathian'd

so far, the pink rathian has proven to consistently be the hardest enemy in her class. it's the only one i've never been able to beat. azure rathalos is nothing compared to her.

What's so tough about her?

Well have you actually reached G rank in this game? Or are you just taking pot shots without knowing what you're talking about?

e5YuU.gif
Just the way he said it attracted such a response.

chrono01

Anyone mind giving me some insight on what armor I should forge [for Great Sword]?

I'm currently on Rank 5 [Low-Rank] in Moga Village, so the really great skills [such as Crit Draw and Sharpness] are unavailable to me.

I currently have the Jaggi and Wroggi Set, along with Chief's Great Sword. I'm currently working towards the Valkyrie Blade, and then, onwards to Sieglinde, so my weapon-choice [at least early-on] is pretty set.

Armor though...I'm really not sure. Honestly, the Jaggi armor [as well as Wroggi for the poison enemies] have served me well, I'm just tired of looking at it. I want something new! I was debating the Lagiacrus armor [if just for the slots and FastCharge/Tenderizer, which I hear are decent]. I should easily be able to slot it with QuickSheathe once I hit High Rank. and Status+ Jewel in it to offset the Status- debuff.

However, I heard that the Diablos/Rathalos armor is great for Great Swords, but I'm having a difficult time discerning why. I can understand at High-Rank, but what makes it so good at Low-Rank? It's got FastCharge, which Lagiacrus has as well, as well as one less slot. Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just grind for the Lagiacrus armor and be done with it?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I'm feeling kind of lost armor-wise. ~_~

Hoodbury

Anyone mind giving me some insight on what armor I should forge [for Great Sword]?

I'm currently on Rank 5 [Low-Rank] in Moga Village, so the really great skills [such as Crit Draw and Sharpness] are unavailable to me.

I currently have the Jaggi and Wroggi Set, along with Chief's Great Sword. I'm currently working towards the Valkyrie Blade, and then, onwards to Sieglinde, so my weapon-choice [at least early-on] is pretty set.

Armor though...I'm really not sure. Honestly, the Jaggi armor [as well as Wroggi for the poison enemies] have served me well, I'm just tired of looking at it. I want something new! I was debating the Lagiacrus armor [if just for the slots and FastCharge/Tenderizer, which I hear are decent]. I should easily be able to slot it with QuickSheathe once I hit High Rank. and Status+ Jewel in it to offset the Status- debuff.

However, I heard that the Diablos/Rathalos armor is great for Great Swords, but I'm having a difficult time discerning why. I can understand at High-Rank, but what makes it so good at Low-Rank? It's got FastCharge, which Lagiacrus has as well, as well as one less slot. Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just grind for the Lagiacrus armor and be done with it?

I used low rank Ratholos even well into High Rank. Gem it up for attack up Large and your triple charges will be knockin those mofo's tails off like crazy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I finished my Rath armor last night and it's got decent skills. Attack Up (M) is great and Speed Sharpening is pretty good.

I used low rank Ratholos even well into High Rank. Gem it up for attack up Large and your triple charges will be knockin those mofo's tails off like crazy.

Oooh, will have to do this. Is it worth it to spec Recovery Down... down? It would only take one slot I think.

chrono01

Thanks for the reply!

I'll focus on that set, then, after I encounter him [of course].

I'm on Rank 5, so it should be in the next few quests!

/excited

Ridley327

I finished my Rath armor last night and it's got decent skills. Attack Up (M) is great and Speed Sharpening is pretty good.

Oooh, will have to do this. Is it worth it to spec Recovery Down... down? It would only take one slot I think.

Yeah, all you need is one Recovery Lvl Up gem to nullify it.

The Rathalos set served me well in high rank prior to my Rath Soul set.

Kouriozan

How are you supposed to do that phase 2 Jhen quest solo?
Tried attacking non stop, ship destroyed.
Tried attacking and using the gong/spear, ship destroyed.
Tried using only ballista and canon with gong/spear, ship destroyed.
And everytime there was about 4 mins. left before the end of the quest.
I guess I'm sticking to online hunts for a while.

burgerdog

Cool, dont answer questions, roll your eyes, fantastic conversation. So, it's not what he said it's the way he said it...?

Don't worry about it, I didn't even mean to sound cocky at all if that's how he interpreted it. I really do have to admit, I was expecting to get destroyed with HR gear and that wasn't the case at all. There was one instance where a Rathian took me from full to 0 in what seemed like three seconds, and that was all it took for me to respect g rank. After that I was a lot more careful and only went in when I had an opening.

Question: Why is there X and Z armor?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I think you're wasting time analysing something that doesn't need to be analyzed.
KuGsj.gif

Key hint: if I respond to something with only an emoticon, it's usually meant to be taken as a joke.

Edit- Also yes, it was the way he said it.

Satch

Banned
What's so tough about her?

her poison backflip is devastating ;__;

and she does this bite that she always directs to the left, but now with pink rathian, it's got FIRE, so the reach on it is incredible with massive damage

i try to avoid both of those things by being on the outside of her right leg at all times, but it's not good for my damage output because, as a hammer, i need to be near her head

and that's the danger zone ;____;

Hoodbury

Definitely if you still have a spot open for it. I think it takes 1 medicine jewel if I remember correctly.

I had an attack up +3 tali so I had plenty of spots to get Attack up Large and gem out that negative skill.

Chuckpebble

HR Moga Village is punishing my hubris for thinking low rank was piss easy and that I'm a Monster Hunter god.

Not that I'm enjoying your misfortune, but this makes me happy. I think I'm gradually changing my classification from too easy to accessible.

beje

Banned
I made my first complete set: Jaggi (lawl)

Anyway, I still haven't tried online but I really don't know where to start. Don't want to be dead weight even in the Beginner channels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom