• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorwind

What could I be doing wrong while using the bow? It takes like 3 times the time to kill anything ;-;

I've noticed I do more damage with a good placed piercing shot than a full hit of spread , and I try to use all coatings and distance myself from the monster, but little has changed...

Magic distance for bow types:
Spread: 2 back hops
Rapid: 3 back hops
Pierce: 4 back hops

Not sure which mob you are having difficulty with...Lagia was my worst: I used demon potions and max sleep+barrels bombs I still timed out.

You have to maximise the bow elements and hit weak points in most cases.

If in doubt and time runs low I spam lvl 1 shots to the head after my coats run out

Neki

Two questions, if I have the mats to build a weapon much better than mine, there's no downside right? I can build this next great sword (just need more money), not sure if I should though.

And is there any point to going back to do the lower one star/two star quests (like do I need to finish all the quests for other quests to open up?)

chrono01

Two questions, if I have the mats to build a weapon much better than mine, there's no downside right? I can build this next great sword (just need more money), not sure if I should though.

And is there any point to going back to do the lower one star/two star quests (like do I need to finish all the quests for other quests to open up?)

I'd check to see if the line you're working towards is something you're interested in or not [since weapons branch at several points]. Most end-branch weapons are great, but some are noticeably better than others. Which one are you considering upgrading to?

To open up all of the quests, only certain ones need to be done, but I complete them all anyway as I progress along. You get some nice rewards/Zenny and are fun to experience.

You'll get a green checkmark if you completed all of them in the rank, and a gold checkmark if you completed ALL of them. Basically, once you see the gold checkmark you know you're done with that rank and can go onto the next higher one [unless you need to farm materials, of course], but a green checkmark means that there are still some to "unlock". This can be done in a number of ways, including completing Village Requests [if you're working through the single-player mode].

Fistwell

1) if I have the mats to build a weapon much better than mine, there's no downside right? I can build this next great sword (just need more money), not sure if I should though.

2) And is there any point to going back to do the lower one star/two star quests (like do I need to finish all the quests for other quests to open up?)
1) unless you end up needing the mats or money for something else, can't think of any downside. Regarding the former, it's sometimes advisable to look around at "what else requires this here thing" before investing rare materials like rubies, gems, and mantles. You might have chanced upon something rare quickly, burn it on something you won't really use much, and end up having to farm for hours to craft something else that requires it.

2) you usually only need to clear key quests to trigger the urgent, which in turn opens up the next batch of quests. Note however that to unlock one of the last village quests, you need to have completed all prior quests.

Ken

I heard he does like G rank damage. :/. In Tri, I always just lanced him with agna+ armor gemmed in with guard boost if I wanted to play safe.

Apparently he does G rank damage but has lower durability and health than G rank. I went in with a similar set up but it's kind of boring. Also, trying to break his horn is kind of tough with the lance.

Neki

I'd check to see if the line you're working towards is something you're interested in or not [since weapons branch at several points]. Most end-branch weapons are great, but some are noticeably better than others. Which one are you considering upgrading to?

To open up all of the quests, only certain ones need to be done, but I complete them all anyway as I progress along. You get some nice rewards/Zenny and are fun to experience.

You'll get a green checkmark if you completed all of them in the rank, and a gold checkmark if you completed ALL of them. Basically, once you see the gold checkmark you know you're done with that rank and can go onto the next higher one [unless you need to farm materials, of course], but a green checkmark means that there are still some to "unlock". This can be done in a number of ways, including completing Village Requests [if you're working through the single-player mode].

Thanks you and Festwil for the advice, I had a Bone Blade+, I was thinking of upgrading Ludroth Bone Blade, but I think I might wait until I can make a Jawblade because it seems to have a better branch weapon.

And yeah, guess I'll do some boring one star quests, need new mats anyways.

Eteric Rice

So I've finished making my Qurupeco, Barroth, and Jaggi armor. Feels good, man.

Anyway, how do you get the better BBQ pit? I've mostly been playing multi-player, so I may have missed that part.

chrono01

Thanks you and Festwil for the advice, I had a Bone Blade+, I was thinking of upgrading Ludroth Bone Blade, but I think I might wait until I can make a Jawblade because it seems to have a better branch weapon.

And yeah, guess I'll do some boring one star quests, need new mats anyways.

You're very welcome.

Yes, absolutely go the Bone Blade+ --> Jawblade --> Giant Jawblade route, IMO. So many great weapons to choose from, with most of them being the best in their respective element and excellent attack [Nero's Anguish, has higher attack but less sharpness as well as slots, so I'm not sure if that's worth the upgrade or not] As a GS user, element isn't super-important to us, but every bit helps!

You'd have your choice of [from Giant Jawblade]:

Rathalos Gleamsword
Myxo Demolisher
Brunnhilde
Pale Kaiser

These are basically [some exceptions depending on opinion] the three most powerful Fire/Slime/Poison Great Swords. They also rank up to being among the most powerful swords we have access to.

In short? You have plenty of great options to choose from. Or, you can be like me and take on the quest of upgrading one of each.

Yes, it will take me a long time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any strats to kill that fucking fish boss faster? I'm using the fire switch axe and that thing is even more annoying than lag in the water.

Zornica

Banned
Is there a crafting guide somewhere?
It's really depressing I have to take a guess every time I want to craft something because I just can't read the names of some of the mats needed on my crt. It's even worse on my 3ds in some cases...

Ken

Is there a crafting guide somewhere?
It's really depressing I have to take a guess every time I want to craft something because I just can't read the names of some of the mats needed on my crt. It's even worse on my 3ds in some cases...

The Brady Guide lists all the mats needed. The wiki only lists stats.

Finally did my Miralis urgent with my brother using local play - got up to HR 49. I used the Pale Kaiser GS and he used the final form of the Barroth Ice GL. Beat it in about 18 minutes, so not too bad. Got 1 gem and 2 smelters. The hearts are probably going to be a pain to acquire.

Fewr

where do you get matts from? i don't think i have any
???
Mats - materials
Tou get them everywhere: gathering, mining, carving, etc. The only scenario I can picture in which you don't have any materials is that you haven't played the game.

That's how I feel about Giginox/Khezu wankers.

I mean, fucking Durambos isn't even a fun battle!

It's just tedious - it has too much goddamned health, and it runs away all the goddamned time. And I can't even get the second tailcase needed so I can upgrade my Ludroth blades...

I think I'll have to use longsword, so I can slice at it's tail while it's standing. Ugh.

Copenap

Hey Guys, absolute beginner here. I'm still figuring stuff out but it's going quite smooth so far. At what point would you recomment I could try some multiplayer? I just did the first Guild quest so really still the absolute beginning.

And if I want to play multiplayer I have to choose network at the port, right? Not just the destination below multiplayer (is that local mp with 3ds?).

persongr

Hey Guys, absolute beginner here. I'm still figuring stuff out but it's going quite smooth so far. At what point would you recomment I could try some multiplayer? I just did the first Guild quest so really still the absolute beginning.

And if I want to play multiplayer I have to choose network at the port, right? Not just the destination below multiplayer (is that local mp with 3ds?).

Since you're absolutely new to the game's mechanics, as I was when I first played mh3 ultimate, I think you should really play all offline quests first, up until 4 or 5 stars.

It may take you a while, but besides understanding what weapon you want to wield, you will also feel more comfortable with the battles.

beje

Banned

After my own experience, the best idea would be hoping into multiplayer after you manage to craft a whole armour set (just Jaggi would work, but upgrade it!) and a green sharpness weapon from the Moga Village quests, otherwise you will be KO´d very quick (5 or 6 hits) and a lot of your attacks will bounce off so you´ll be mostly dead weight in a party.

Also, learn how to craft megapots and try to have all the ingredients ready (honey, blue mushrooms, herbs) because as a beginner in multiplayer you are going to run through them QUICK.

Edit: to access online mode, it´s the last option of the port. It will let you choose channel, subchannel and join/create a room before throwing you to the hub. You can also look if any of your friends is online to jump to their room. To play with others someone must start a quest and the rest have to accept it through the announcement pannel between the guild clerk and the entrance, then go to the entrance to check in as "ready" and their mission icons will blink. When everybody is blinking, the one that started the mission can go through the gate to start.

bitoriginal

I played up until Lagiacrus offline, but I think you just need to be familiar with fundamental mechanics. Stuff like how the skills work (need +10 to activate), how to upgrade armour and weps, how to cap monsters, what you need to take on a quest, best combinations of food before you go on quest, stuff like that. I'd say at least play up until the 4* village quests.

^ I still don't know what the best things to eat are. I just combine two random things and hope for the best.

After my own experience, the best idea would be hoping into multiplayer after you manage to craft a whole armour set (just Jaggi would work, but upgrade it!) and a green sharpness weapon from the Moga Village quests, otherwise you will be KO´d very quick (5 or 6 hits) and a lot of your attacks will bounce off so you´ll be mostly dead weight in a party.

Also, learn how to craft megapots and try to have all the ingredients ready (honey, blue mushrooms, herbs) because as a beginner in multiplayer you are going to run through them QUICK.

All I use my farm for recently is herbs, blue mushrooms and honey. Honey is the hardest, as I've no fertilizer or anything.

Oh, and Dragon Toadstools, because why would I not make Ancient Potions?

ugoo18

Alatreon should have taken Miralis' place as the final multiplayer urgent.

Really really dislike Miralis. Terrible fight, just so boring compared to Alatreon.

I hate that most of the damage i take from him is simply because it moves (Especially it's tail), i take more damage from it moving normally than i do from an actual attack -_-

Copenap

Thanks for all the tips.

Another general question. So is Moga Village basically the "story mode" and the Port Tanzia is just a bunch of quests that can be done either alone or in mp?

IIRC, you need Mind's Eye to hit the chin without bouncing off or:

1. Hammer super pound
2. Dual Blades demon mode

Purple sharpness also bounces off of I. Lagiacrus' face.

Took of charged attacks but I finally broke his jaw, KO'd him then put him to sleep. Damn that was grueling. Couldn't tell whether I was sheathed or not from all the quakes interruptions so I ended up using 6 Mega Potions for nothing...

Really starting to like the hammer

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Having so much fun with the low level quests on the 3DS version. Got a Jaggi armor set, and finally hunted a Qurupego.

Got a strong feeling I will buy a Wii U for this pretty soon!

TheExodu5

Banned

1. Hammer super pound

Hunting Hammer allows attacks not to bounce with the second use of the self-song. Also, even if you don't have the song up, the R attack doesn't bounce.

Mupod

Mainly its snap and drag attack, and some other similar structures/gestures. Miralis moves faster and often.

Good that he's more aggressive, I watched about 10 seconds of a video before closing it and I saw some Fatalis animations and my hype for the monster vanished. Fatalis is boring as shit.

1. Hammer super pound

There's some other options, like hunting horn's self buff.

Since you no longer bounce and he takes more damage to his face once the chin is broken, I generally start the fight with a shock trap and some bombs. Why waste time doing 20% damage and being restricted to super pounds?

I mean, fucking Durambos isn't even a fun battle!

It's just tedious - it has too much goddamned health, and it runs away all the goddamned time. And I can't even get the second tailcase needed so I can upgrade my Ludroth blades...

I think I'll have to use longsword, so I can slice at it's tail while it's standing. Ugh.

Your goal in the fight is to hit the humps. He won't take long at all once you figure out how to get at them. Getting him tired, hitting him when he spins (go in after two spins and hit his legs), flashbombing him so he gets dizzy and falls over, pitfall traps...

Chuckpebble

If Durambos were a real, endangered species, I would kill the last one.

I'm gunning him to farm up his armor in low rank village. Such a breeze compared to when I gunlanced him. I'm shooting rapid pierce 2 at his lovely duro humps all quest long to great effect.

Quick question: has anyone used a pick axe on his tail yet? I keep charging up to him when he's sprawled out, but I never seem to get an opportunity to mine it. All I need is a Tailbone and I think that maximizes my chances of getting one.

remz

Good that he's more aggressive, I watched about 10 seconds of a video before closing it and I saw some Fatalis animations and my hype for the monster vanished. Fatalis is boring as shit.

There's some other options, like hunting horn's self buff.

Since you no longer bounce and he takes more damage to his face once the chin is broken, I generally start the fight with a shock trap and some bombs. Why waste time doing 20% damage and being restricted to super pounds?

Your goal in the fight is to hit the humps. He won't take long at all once you figure out how to get at them. Getting him tired, hitting him when he spins (go in after two spins and hit his legs), flashbombing him so he gets dizzy and falls over, pitfall traps...
Is there an easy way to break his tail after smashing the humps though? I was reluctant to hammer the humps too hard incase he died before I got a tailcase.

Mupod

I'm gunning him to farm up his armor in low rank village. Such a breeze compared to when I gunlanced him. I'm shooting rapid pierce 2 at his lovely duro humps all quest long to great effect.

Quick question: has anyone used a pick axe on his tail yet? I keep charging up to him when he's sprawled out, but I never seem to get an opportunity to mine it. All I need is a Tailbone and I think that maximizes my chances of getting one.

Sometimes after the big tail slam he gets stuck for a LONG time. Should be plenty of time to mine it.

As for remz - I find it really easy to hit with the HH's A attack. But you can also wail on it when he's stuck like I mentioned above. Worst case scenario - shock trap him! The tail doesn't hold up very long against an impact weapon.

Neo C.

Back in Tri, I jumped into multiplayer even before finishing the 1 star solo quests. Just take care of your own health and you should be fine, especially in GAF groups.

Thanks! Will that get me the tailcase?

Mupod

Thanks! Will that get me the tailcase?

For the tailcase I'd recommend mining his tail midfight, breaking it off and carving it (easiest with a hammer/HH), and capturing him. I'm not 100% sure on this since I don't have the Brady guide here. But I do all this and I have tons of them.

panda21

???
Mats - materials
Tou get them everywhere: gathering, mining, carving, etc. The only scenario I can picture in which you don't have any materials is that you haven't played the game.

oh! I thought it was something to do with crafting mats. like there were literal mats in the game that could upgrade your weapons. i get it now.

another stupid questions - whats with the switch axe? it seems it does a lot more damage in sword mode because of the phials, so why would you ever use the axe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom