• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mzo

Use a lance. :p

I always kind of didn't like lances until Tri. I found them super useful and pretty damn strong when a monster had an elemental weakness. Having good armor and being able to just block stuff without reeling is pretty amazing in this game.

traveler

Not Wario
After a sonic bomb Diablos digs his way out and flies up for a sec. You can flash bomb him in the air since you know exactly where he's facing and he falls down for some more free hits.

There's no way anyone would think Diablos is harder than Deviljho. Something is horribly wrong.

I had a harder time with Diablos than I did with Deviljho by a long shot. When
Peco called a Deviljho the first time
I thought it was a legitimate part of the fight and killed the Jho.

On Diablos, though, I was using hammer and, at the time, pretty much focused solely on the head out of habit. Felt like I did no damage and got tossed all over the place. Wasn't until later I found out I was doing it wrong.

Ken

I want to capture a great Jaggi.... but the lady doesn't sell me the equipment I need. (I had the supplies while doing a quest to capture that bear looking monster -Level 2 quest) But now I have no idea where to get traps and tranquilizers.

shop npc sells trap tools
spider webs and ivy can be gathered to make nets
combine the two for a pitfall trap

or gather thunderbugs and combine that with trap tool to make a shock trap

shop npc sells tranquilizers
tanzia port granny sometimes sells bomb casings
or you can make bomb casings out of...sap plant and stone i think?
combine the two to make tranq bomb

Is there anything you can take to raise stamina underwater? I was going against caedeus and my stamina bar was way low and I couldn't eat any steaks.

Energy Drinks work underwater

also lol at the Ceadeus hyperbole, he is atmospheric music and fun to punch. missed the Dragonator using Rustshard LBG, had 11 minutes left on the repel.

Mazzo

What could I be doing wrong while using the bow? It takes like 3 times the time to kill anything ;-;

I've noticed I do more damage with a good placed piercing shot than a full hit of spread , and I try to use all coatings and distance myself from the monster, but little has changed...

Mzo

I want to capture a great Jaggi.... but the lady doesn't sell me the equipment I need. (I had the supplies while doing a quest to capture that bear looking monster -Level 2 quest) But now I have no idea where to get traps and tranquilizers.
If you're doing village quests, I'd be very surprised if they didn't flat out give you everything you need in the blue box at the start.

If not you need to craft them. Trap tool and nets for ground traps or (my preference) thunder bugs for shock traps. Bomb casing and tranquilizer makes tranq bombs.

If you're playing monhun yoiu need access to a few lists online. Weapon trees, item drops, and craftables.

ChuyMasta

shop npc sells trap tools
spider webs and ivy can be gathered to make nets
combine the two for a pitfall trap

or gather thunderbugs and combine that with trap tool to make a shock trap

shop npc sells tranquilizers
tanzia port granny sometimes sells bomb casings
or you can make bomb casings out of...sap plant and stone i think?
combine the two to make tranq bomb

I'll try that tomorrow sir! This game is so addicting....also, I don't know why I didn't think about combining stuff. I'm still new at this! This is my first MH game ever =(

Trap Tool + Thunderbug = Shock Trap
Trap Tool + Net = Pitfall Trap

Tranqs:
Bomb Casing = Sap Plant + Stone (makes 1) OR Sap Plant + Iron Ore (makes 1 or 2)
Tranquilzer = Sleep Herb + Parashroom
Tranq Bomb = Tranquilizer + Bomb Casing

You can also create tranquilzer bullets (for bowguns) and tranq coatings (for bows) but I'm not sure of all those recipes.

Generally you want to use shock traps for capturing as I believe some monsters aren't affected by pitfall traps and spider webs (used to make nets) are a bit of a pain to get. Thunderbugs you can easily collect and grow on the farm.

You can buy the trap tools from the nice lady who runs the store. At one point in the game you can buy items at half off when the Argosy ship is in port.

DaBoss

You can buy the trap tools from the nice lady who runs the store. At one point in the game you can buy items at half off when the Argosy ship is in port.

Holy shit mind blown! I did not know I was when Argosy came to visit that prices are reduced. I've played MH3U solo for pretty much the entire time and had 400 hours in Tri.

Holy shit mind blown! I did not know I was when Argosy came to visit that prices are reduced. I've played MH3U solo for pretty much the entire time and had 400 hours in Tri.

You're welcome! Glad I could just pay back the favor. I've gotten quite a lot of tips from various posters on this forum...

EDIT: Its the "Gal with the Goods" who sells the stuff for 1/2 off by the way. Argosy happens to be in port and I just doublechecked. I don't want to say something wrong accidently (again).

Oh, so I just have to collect
5 Slagtoth Oils, huh?
Hmm, shouldn't take long.

HAH HAH HAH!! I *just* did that quest tonight! Figured I'd pick up one last easy quest before heading off to bed.
I just *knew* better and was expecting something but not *that*. And he makes quite the entrance too! First time I've jumped in this game...

Kyzon

Just solo'd a (g-rank) great jaggi. His ram carted me XD
I've never felt so green around the gills.

Anyways, where can I find butterfly beetles?
I can't find it in the guide.

DaBoss

Oh, so I just have to collect
5 Slagtoth Oils, huh?
Hmm, shouldn't take long.

HAH HAH HAH!! I *just* did that quest tonight! Figured I'd pick up one last easy quest before heading off to bed.
I just *knew* better and was expecting something but not *that*. And he makes quite the entrance too! First time I've jumped in this game...

Was it Pink Rathian?

I don't remember how the quest went.

Ken

Jho popped out of the ground in front of me and I nonchalantly ran past him. Never saw him again for the rest of the quest.

I must be super terrible at this game because I'm still stuck trying to capture that damn bear on the 2* quests. I beat his ass, let him limp off, his color turns blue so I sneak in thinking he's sleeping and the fucker german suplexes me through a boulder. WTF. I'm about to say screw it and continue on with the other 2* quests.

exactly the same thing.

i'm gonna try what you guys just recommended.

the third run. the third run.

i am speed. speed. i. am. speed.

Kyzon

What's your defence value out of curiosity?

O_O
You're... you're a gunner, right?

263 :p

Quite low

Yes I'm usually the resident bowman

Edit: I've just done Grank runs through all of the zones minus volcano. Where can I find a butterfly beetle? I'm at a loss now.

Fistwell

Yes I'm usually the resident bowman

Edit: I've just done Grank runs through all of the zones minus volcano. Where can I find a butterfly beetle? I'm at a loss now.
Ah, ok, no clue as to what's a good starting point for gunnner armor in Grank. 260 seemed inordinately low for blademaster.

Don't know where to find butterfly beetles. People are talking about it on the internets though.

Really annoyed by the whole commodities thing still. Especially rare ones. Some of those things are ridiculous, asking a 2* commodity for something that's damn near worthless.

Well you do get 2* rare trade from doing royal ludroths in Free Hunt, not exactly difficult stuff.

Ceadeus isn't so bad. I just find it annoying by how long it takes, otherwise I'm fine with it, barring the fact it is completely underwater.

yeah the fight itself isn't really much. i just did it now for the first time since tri a few years ago, timed out once so the second try I bought a pile of barrel bombs and exploded the crap out of his face. Got him into the last area quick-smart, and from there it was only a few ballista shots to break his horn and send him running.

Also is there an easy way to fight Diablos. His tail is totally destroying me and he's way to fast to run after because I'm using a switchaxe,.

Unless you're within 1~2 rolls of the monster and you're pretty sure they're not planning on running right across the map any moment now, always put your switch-axe away. In case you don't know, X+A while dashing unsheathes into sword mode as an attack. does good damage too.

Neo C.

What could I be doing wrong while using the bow? It takes like 3 times the time to kill anything ;-;

I've noticed I do more damage with a good placed piercing shot than a full hit of spread , and I try to use all coatings and distance myself from the monster, but little has changed...

How strong is your bow? On average, it does take longer with distant weapons against weak enemies because you can't bash your way through. On the bright side, they are very good against strong enemies.

Some bugs you can only obtain through sending people out on quests through offline mode. I believe the butterfly beetle is one of them as well as a blossom cricket.

Plume Flint? Mine was an upgrade from Iron Hammer+, I couldn't forge it new.

Also it's 2 Qurupeco Feathers, 1 Flintstone, 2 Monster Bone L. (Not M)

Strange, I've got all that stuff too. I can skip it and go straight to Red Bludgeon but then I'd have to start farming Rathalos again...

Also, I'd like to add that fighting Lagi underwater with a hammer is fucking ridiculous

chrono01

This game is far too addicting, and I haven't touched multi-player yet. -_-

I [finally] got up to Rathalos on the single-player portion, and immediately started farming the materials for the Red Wing. Considering my current Great Swords [Lagiacrus Blade, Valkyrie Blade] it's a nice 50+ ATK to everything else I have, and looks badass. I finally decided to have three separate end-game weapons [when I can] and am leveling all of their pre-requisites when I get the needed materials. The endgame weapons being:

• Rathalos Gleamsword
  • Pale Kaiser [mainly until I get Nero's Anguish, but that might take a while...]
  • Lagia Fulmination

I've also started working on the Rathalos Armor Set, and have almost everything I need except the Plate. I'll continue farming him tomorrow and this time capture him. I'll have to make sure to carry Shock/Pitfall with me as well as Tranquilizer Darts...

Gah! I want to play now but I need sleep. As soon as I find some free-time tomorrow, though, I know how I'll be spending it!

Filth

so after killing g rank narga 20-25 times in the past 2 days and not getting a mantle i said screw it. i leveled to hr 8 which got me to hr 30. so now i said hmmm let me farm lucent narga for a mantle. killed him first time and got a mantle. lance upgraded. killed him a second time and upgraded the lance once again. now i need a moonstone for the final upgrade and thats a 2 % drop. HNGGGGGGG atleast the fight is fun.

vareon

I just hit the village High Rank. My current armor is upgraded Lagiacrus (up to Hard Armor Sphere because I can't get Heavy yet). Defense is 320. Any recommendations on what next? I'll probably get a Barroth S or something, but I don't like the looks.

Kyzon

Ah, ok, no clue as to what's a good starting point for gunnner armor in Grank. 260 seemed inordinately low for blademaster.

Don't know where to find butterfly beetles. People are talking about it on the internets though.

Ahh I found it. I get it when I send people on quests for me. Thanks.

Edit: Thanks Will, I'm late haha

Dear. Gawd.

Fuck Duramboros. Never been so happy to see something die. Keeps on running so much, I wasted so much time finding it then killing it. Yeah, paintball ran out. Fourty-five fucking minutes

Fistwell

Quick question, even if I fail a quest I keep all the loot I mined/caught right?
Yes. Conversely, if you obtained nothing of value but burned through all your pots, steaks, and/or other provisions, you can abandon the quest, which resets your status to what it was before you picked up the quest.

Hattori

Banned
So I don't have to fail a quest to keep the loot? (I'm planning to just mine some stuff in the volcano but I only have access to the brachy urgent)

Prade

So I don't have to fail a quest to keep the loot? (I'm planning to just mine some stuff in the volcano but I only have access to the brachy urgent)

You do. Abandoning just restores you character to the state he/she was pre quest. Anything you collected will be lost if you abandon. You either have to pass or fail a quest to keep everything.

chrono01

Dear. Gawd.

Fuck Duramboros. Never been so happy to see something die. Keeps on running so much, I wasted so much time finding it then killing it. Yeah, paintball ran out. Fourty-five fucking minutes

This is precisely why I use the Fluffy Mask. Having a constant tracker [without the need for Paintballs] that will never "run out" Yes please.

So far, Duramboros is my least favorite fight. Sure, he's humorous to watch [seeing a beast his size fly into the air is a sight to behold], but it takes far too long. It's boring. Maybe with better weapons it'll be fine, but as of right now I dread fighting him.

Thankfully I do not need anything off of his corpse so I do not need to farm him [that I know of].

ramyeon

Played online for something ridiculous like 7 hours or something straight :/

So addictive. High rank armour is so confusing though, there's way too much to choose from. The colourful beats DLC is intense. There was even a free roaming Brachy thrown in there.

Prade

This is precisely why I use the Fluffy Mask. Having a constant tracker [without the need for Paintballs] that will never "run out" Yes please.

So far, Duramboros is my least favorite fight. Sure, he's humorous to watch [seeing a beast his size fly into the air is a sight to behold], but it takes far too long. It's boring. Maybe with better weapons it'll be fine, but as of right now I dread fighting him.

Thankfully I do not need anything off of his corpse so I do not need to farm him [that I know of].

Fluffy ftw. It's always good to have a huge stack of paintballs with you on every hunting quest though. They usually last like 10 minutes, so having only 5 should suffice.

chrono01

Been playing offline and doing village stuff.

Just doing the Village quests and improving the "hub" is addictive as-is, you have been warned [although, you've likely discovered this for yourself]! There's so much funny/interesting dialogue from the NPC's that, I fear, most will miss out on. :(

There's so much content to this game, it's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom