• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

oh! I thought it was something to do with crafting mats. like there were literal mats in the game that could upgrade your weapons. i get it now.

another stupid questions - whats with the switch axe? it seems it does a lot more damage in sword mode because of the phials, so why would you ever use the axe?

"This hard kick button in a fighting game does more damage than the medium kick button, why would I ever use the medium kick?"

My friend who just started the game (and went straight for the SA) was having trouble until he realized he wasn't playing DMC, and the movesets are more important than any kind of 'combos'. There might be moves in axe mode that can more consistently and safely hit the parts you want.

Also (DISCLAIMER: I don't use the switchaxe ever) as far as I know the sword mode restricts your movement, and phials aren't always necessarily more damage. I see people mentioning that the power phial is important because it specifically IS more damage. But if it's an element (phials have elements, right?) that a monster isn't vulnerable to, it might as well be doing nothing.

ramyeon

Switch axe upgrade: Qurupexspander or Sparqlepeco? Which is better? I notice Qurupexspander can go further with upgrades and has more raw damage. It's always so hard to decide!

"This hard kick button in a fighting game does more damage than the medium kick button, why would I ever use the medium kick?"

My friend who just started the game (and went straight for the SA) was having trouble until he realized he wasn't playing DMC, and the movesets are more important than any kind of 'combos'. There might be moves in axe mode that can more consistently and safely hit the parts you want.

Also (DISCLAIMER: I don't use the switchaxe ever) as far as I know the sword mode restricts your movement, and phials aren't always necessarily more damage. I see people mentioning that the power phial is important because it specifically IS more damage. But if it's an element (phials have elements, right?) that a monster isn't vulnerable to, it might as well be doing nothing.
At least in Tri, what you say holds true. I haven't touched the SA in 3U.

Switch axe upgrade: Qurupexspander or Sparqlepeco? Which is better? I notice Qurupexspander can go further with upgrades and has more raw damage. It's always so hard to decide!
Almost always go for more raw damage with non-SnS and DS weapons.

Having so much fun with the low level quests on the 3DS version. Got a Jaggi armor set, and finally hunted a Qurupego.

Got a strong feeling I will buy a Wii U for this pretty soon!

Don't do it.
I put 100 hours in 12 days.

another stupid questions - whats with the switch axe? it seems it does a lot more damage in sword mode because of the phials, so why would you ever use the axe?

You need to switch between modes when your stamina goes low and when you have to reload. You also can't really walk around in sword mode but it does more damage. The axe mode also has a sweet move where you keep pounding A after a kick and you end up just swinging wildly until your stamina runs out.

wsippel

Banned
oh! I thought it was something to do with crafting mats. like there were literal mats in the game that could upgrade your weapons. i get it now.

You can move faster in axe mode, it has a pretty quick attack (forward + x) and has a nifty infinite combo. It also has the best reach of any blademaster weapon in the game. The main problem, and the reason I use mostly sword mode in multiplayer, is that the axe mode upswing launches your teammates.

Fewr

I'm gunning him to farm up his armor in low rank village. Such a breeze compared to when I gunlanced him. I'm shooting rapid pierce 2 at his lovely duro humps all quest long to great effect.

Quick question: has anyone used a pick axe on his tail yet? I keep charging up to him when he's sprawled out, but I never seem to get an opportunity to mine it. All I need is a Tailbone and I think that maximizes my chances of getting one.
I'm at the same point. What gun are you using?

Bisonian

As a relative newcomer getting ready to start high rank that has played nothing but switch axe, I went with Quru for Fire and the Bolt Axe for Lightning. I made a Bolt Axe+ pretty easily (well, I guess I got lucky with the Plate drop), and it served me well through low rank. Sparq doesn't seem to have much potential in its tree as some of the others options for SA.

Santiako

I main Switch Axe, and use mostly the axe mode, it gives you amazing reach and mobility, I only use the sword mode when my weapon bounces or if the monster is stuck (if it falls over, stuck on a trap, standing there drooling, etc). You can also combo in and out of sword mode in the same combo, which looks amazing lol

DaBoss

Duramboros gets a lot easier in high rank.

I beat it in the japanese version back then. It's a G rank Alatreon.

ieocjatmjxecgl6s9v.gif

Chuckpebble

I'm at the same point. What gun are you using?

The Lagi light bowgun. I was amazed that I could craft it strait away after just doing the repel, fell the lagiacrus, and then the capture quest with no farming at all. I'm using the full Barroth gunner set because it has precision, and is gemmed to attack up M and is still my favorite looking set from Tri.

Sometimes after the big tail slam he gets stuck for a LONG time. Should be plenty of time to mine it.

Thanks, it seems my problem was that I had to damage it a bit first. Stupid tailbone. Guess I'll be making the blade set too as much as I'll have to farm him.

A question for those who have gone through most of the single player: is there a continuing "story" script that occurs post-Ceadeus? I like the little charming interactions between characters.

Fewr

Thanks. I want to farm that armor, then the lagiacrus long sword, then the lagiacrus armor. I have plenty to do.

DaBoss

A question for those who have gone through most of the single player: is there a continuing "story" script that occurs post-Ceadeus? I like the little charming interactions between characters.

Yup there is, I find it quite funny. It also hypes up a certain monster whose spotlight was stolen in Tri.

ChuckNyce

For those who own both 3DS and Wii U versions, does the save transfer stuff work pretty well? I'm going to my in laws for the weekend and I'm strongly considering picking up the 3DS version because MH is currently owning my soul and I don't want to lug my Wii U along. Will likely eBay the 3DS copy whenever the off tv play patch hits (any word on that?)

Thanks

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those who own both 3DS and Wii U versions, does the save transfer stuff work pretty well? I'm going to my in laws for the weekend and I'm strongly considering picking up the 3DS version because MH is currently owning my soul and I don't want to lug my Wii U along. Will likely eBay the 3DS copy whenever the off tv play patch hits (any word on that?)

Thanks

The transfer itself takes less time than booting up the Wii U and getting into the game. It works flawlessly.

Mupod

The story shifts focus to the Shakalakas and their quest for the Ultimate Mask. There's an adorable cutscene at the end that is
basically a remake of Tri's intro except with Cha-Cha and Kayamba.

You learn a bit more about the Chief too towards the end when the new 'big bad' comes into the picture.

JoV

Just gave the bow a try, a weapon I really, really, want to get good at.

Took me a while to take down the Great Jaggi with the starting bow, but think I might have a bit of a feel for it. Need to start experimenting with coatings now.

There is sooooo much to try in this game!

For all the people bitching about Ceadeus being ridiculous, I beat him with a bow -- a very not DPS monster, with no coatings at all. Only reason I failed the first time is because I was very... "WAT DO".

If you want to get good at bow, the best thing to do is recognize when you're going to have the breather moment to stop and aim at the weak spot (typically the head). Smaller monsters are honestly what give the bow the biggest challenge. I find fighting a swarm of tiny Jaggi to be a HUGE pain in the ass, but zero issues with a Rathian. :/ Bow world problems.

If you're not into getting 50,000 different weapons, the Raptora series of bows is excellent for general purpose. Until you get that, you should be using the Wroggi Revolver, since it not only has the ability to use Poison coatings, but actually makes them more powerful.
Fast Charge or Status Atk+ should be your armor skills of choice, IMO. Status Atk+ will make you take fewer coatings to inflict a Status, which is the bow's strength, whereas Fast Charge will end up taking about the same time to inflict said status, but using more and doing more DPS.
If I could gem in Status Atk + onto my B Giggi armor, I'd be a monster.

The story shifts focus to the Shakalakas and their quest for the Ultimate Mask. There's an adorable cutscene at the end that is
basically a remake of Tri's intro except with Cha-Cha and Kayamba.

You learn a bit more about the Chief too towards the end when the new 'big bad' comes into the picture.

Yup there is, I find it quite funny. It also hypes up a certain monster whose spotlight was stolen in Tri.
Excellent!

So anyone know when the new content starts to hit? I got a lot out of the Wii game and going through the beginning is going really slowly in singleplayer for this game. I need some motivation.

Fistwell

So anyone know when the new content starts to hit? I got a lot out of the Wii game and going through the beginning is going really slowly in singleplayer for this game. I need some motivation.
Distilled through most of the game. You get the bear-family monsters early on. In other words, arzuros can't be much further away. I can also see some volvidon (and nibelsnarf) in your near future.

vareon

Damn, I want the Aelucanth set but apparently I have to catch bugs from Zinogre's back first. And no way I'm going to face Zinogre in this armor.

And when I thought the Moshgarl suit was cool and I can make it, I need 7 Bumblepumpkin...which is a 5 star trade. Argh.

DaBoss

Damn, I want the Aelucanth set but apparently I have to catch bugs from Zinogre's back first. And no way I'm going to face Zinogre in this armor.

And when I thought the Moshgarl suit was cool and I can make it, I need 7 Bumblepumpkin...which is a 5 star trade. Argh.

What armor?

Mupod

Low rank village is mostly a retread of Tri, but once you beat Ceadeus and get into the high rank stuff it's a lot more interesting. Subspecies, Misty Peaks, and 'new to you' monsters like Zinogre and Plesioth abound.

If you want the new new content (g-rank) you'll need to do the tavern quests in the port.

51 regular Gigginoxis and 33 Baleful Gigginoxis later, we are in possession of every piece of gunner Gigginox equipment. Feels good.

Can you tell me what skills the regular and Baleful sets give in G rank? Can't find this info on any sites, I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth it to go back to the Giggi grind.

Blitzhex

I've capped brachy twice now in the village quests and haven't got any mystery slime. Is it better to cap or carve for slime? Also is there a certain part of the body I have to destroy to get it?

Ridley327

Can you tell me what skills the regular and Baleful sets give in G rank? Can't find this info on any sites, I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth it to go back to the Giggi grind.

Regular is Status Atk +2, Awaken, Razor Sharp, and Element Atk Down. Baleful is Thunder Atk +2, Stamina Thief, Focus, and Ice Atk Down.

Regular seems like it would be pretty good for anyone focusing on Status, and it has eight slots to work with. It also has a couple of points in Evasion and Unscathed.

DaBoss

I've capped brachy twice now in the village quests and haven't got any mystery slime. Is it better to cap or carve for slime? Also is there a certain part of the body I have to destroy to get it?

Better to kill. You can also get it from the shiny drops from the slime that Brachy leaves on the ground. Shiny drops don't happen often though.

explodet

Zinogre trips a LOT during the fight, you should have plenty of opportunities. You also get a chance for them if you cap him - just don't use shock traps!

My partner and I managed to take him down with low rank Wroggi armor and Brachy weapons - admittedly it took a few max potions the first time.

Mupod

If you can get a hold of the Brady guide, that is what people will generally use to answer questions like this. Teach a man to fish and all that.

Since I don't have it here I'll say that you'd probably get some by breaking the parts on him that have slime, and maybe capturing. I don't think I've ever carved any off him.

edit: I'm apparently wrong, so there you go.

Zinogre trips a LOT during the fight, you should have plenty of opportunities. You also get a chance for them if you cap him - just don't use shock traps!

shock traps are fine...for capturing. If he's not ready for capture, all you just did was charge him up. And if he's holding a full charge (hair standing on end) he'll destroy the trap by walking over it.

DaBoss

These are the gunner set skills, I'm assuming that is what you want.

Gigginox X
Status Atk +2
Awaken
Load Up
Element Atk Down

Gigginox Z
Thunder Atk+2
Stamina Thief
Focus
Ice Atk Down

My partner and I managed to take him down with low rank Wroggi armor and Brachy weapons - admittedly it took a few max potions the first time.

You can use Shock Traps. It will charge up, but you can still cap it using Shock Traps. Just through Tranq Bombs before it breaks free.

ramyeon

As a relative newcomer getting ready to start high rank that has played nothing but switch axe, I went with Quru for Fire and the Bolt Axe for Lightning. I made a Bolt Axe+ pretty easily (well, I guess I got lucky with the Plate drop), and it served me well through low rank. Sparq doesn't seem to have much potential in its tree as some of the others options for SA.
Good point, I have a bolt axe+ so have no real need for another lightning axe haha. And you're in pretty much the same position as me right now.

Jarate

Banned
so guys, I just got done with the lagicarus

what do I do now... DO I really have to capture a lagicarus to make the story go further, all I want to do is fight big monsters and kill them and get their gear

Mupod

what do I do now... DO I really have to capture a lagicarus to make the story go further, all I want to do is fight big monsters and kill them and get their gear

You should get used to capturing then, because it makes fights go faster and occasionally is the best way to get rare parts for gear. Plus certain monsters are extremely lethal in their cramped nests (agnaktor) so it's safer to capture if they make it there.

DaBoss

Yup, you have to. An interesting thing to know is that capturing would actually give you more materials to make their gear.

EDIT: Beaten.

Rize_21

I've tried to solo G sand Barioth,got destroyed like never before this!is there a way to get rid of his
little cyclone?it totally empty my stamina bar
and I'm often sure to get ko'd in the seconds following this.I wear the full Ceadeus Z(605 def), and woah he severely hurts,the Nargacuga is an alive joke compared to him.

vareon

DaBoss said:
What armor?

Aelucanth. It looks pretty cool!

My friends aren't available right now, we're 3DS players. So yeah I'm not sure whether it's viable or not if I face him alone, lol.

If I somehow got the beetles and fail the quest, will I get it?

explodet

shock traps are fine...for capturing. If he's not ready for capture, all you just did was charge him up. And if he's holding a full charge (hair standing on end) he'll destroy the trap by walking over it.
Uh huh - it'll work, but the risk vs. reward ratio was too high for me. Besides, getting spider webs for pitfall traps isn't that annoying. And Zinogre seems to stay in them for a long time too.
If I somehow got the beetles and fail the quest, will I get it?
I believe so, yes. If you abandon the quest you don't gain or lose anything, but if you fail you keep everything you got and lose everything you used up.

... I'd probably just wait for your friends, though. It's no fun to march to defeat.

Mupod

I've tried to solo G sand Barioth,got destroyed like never before this!is there a way to get rid of his
little cyclone?it totally empty my stamina bar
and I'm often sure to get ko'd in the seconds following this.I wear the full Ceadeus Z(605 def), and woah he severely hurts,the Nargacuga is an alive joke compared to him.

I'm not G rank yet and I've only fought one sand barioth, but the usual Barioth tips should apply. Pitfall him early to break a wing and apply hammer to forehead to tire him out.

can you make g rank Narga stuff? Both Narga and Barioth have extremely fast moves with relatively small hitboxes that are easy to roll through with evade up and evade extender.

explodet

Just got memories of Rathalos Plate farming - the group would start the hunt, immediately beat on the tail, cut it off, and carve it - if there were no Plates, they would abandon the quest and start over, leaving a tail-less and very confused Rathalos behind.

Good times, good times.

Coldsnap

How ridiculous would it be to go out and buy a Wii-U for this.. I'm really enjoying the 3DS version but going solo against everything is getting tiresome, especially if I could have other hunters cutting off tail while I smash the head.

Good quick session last night though. Trapped my first Legendary Ludroth, got an aqua sac which was the last thing I needed for the splash hammer. Immediately fought Barroth with my smash hammer and make quick work of him, dropped only 4 scalps! wtf

DaBoss

How ridiculous would it be to go out and buy a Wii-U for this.. I'm really enjoying the 3DS version but going solo against everything is getting tiresome, especially if I could have other hunters cutting off tail while I smash the head.

Good quick session last night though. Trapped my first Legendary Ludroth, got an aqua sac which was the last thing I needed for the splash hammer. Immediately fought Barroth with my smash hammer and make quick work of him, dropped only 4 scalps! wtf

It is a niche system seller, so it doesn't sound ridiculous at all. I think some people in this thread bought a Wii U for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom