• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Waiting for the next page]

Alright, time to work on some actual quests now that I've finished my Wroggi S armor. After some setup, I'll have my resources and Nulberry farming set in motion to ensure max profit, muahaha.

yami4ct

Played a bunch with some randoms online today. Had a ton of fun. Me and a guy completely new to the game took on a Gobul. Tense shit. I hate Gobul normally, but just the two of us and his extra health over his SP counterpart made him crazy difficult/fun. He's still my worst monster.

Also, awesome dude helped me reach HR2. Beat Lagi even though I was playing like absolute garbage for 1/2 the fight. He picked up my slack. Broke every piece on him, too. Great feeling.

Really annoyed by the whole commodities thing still. Especially rare ones. Some of those things are ridiculous, asking a 2* commodity for something that's damn near worthless.

That said, I've now made it to HR Village. Probably only going to go so far as to unlock using Lava Nuggets for resources haha. Might try and get the other Shaka masks though. If I had those I could probably do fairly well solo with Bow...

Ridley327

Decided to do some Moga Village stuff today just to unlock Jhen online for my quests, and I managed to get three Plesioth Heads from just one Plesioth.

This does not make any sense!

"Slay 10 Jaggia"

Sounds pretty simple, I'll try this out.

-later-

Guild Sweetheart: !?

uh oh.

:lol

That Great Jaggi was quite literally bodied by Joe, and I couldn't stop laughing.

yami4ct

Decided to do some Moga Village stuff today just to unlock Jhen online for my quests, and I managed to get three Plesioth Heads from just one Plesioth.

This does not make any sense!

:lol

That Great Jaggi was quite literally bodied by Joe, and I couldn't stop laughing.

Plesioth is secretly a hydra?

DaBoss

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
gMQ9FOU.jpg

I now have the Mark of a Hero.

Edit: Dialogue with the Guild Sweetheart after the quest is funny.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I must be super terrible at this game because I'm still stuck trying to capture that damn bear on the 2* quests. I beat his ass, let him limp off, his color turns blue so I sneak in thinking he's sleeping and the fucker german suplexes me through a boulder. WTF. I'm about to say screw it and continue on with the other 2* quests.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"You failed to route the Elder Dragon!"

I got him to destroy the wall in less than 10 minutes. Fuck you game, this was a 35 minute quest.

yami4ct

"You failed to route the Elder Dragon!"

I got him to destroy the wall in less than 10 minutes. Fuck you game, this was a 35 minute quest.

You need to break his beard before he gets to area 3. After that, you get the rest of the quest to fight him and try to get him to run off. If you fail, he resets with all damage taken at area 3 when you redo the quest. After the initial BS, they're quite forgiving.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You need to break his beard before he gets to area 3. After that, you get the rest of the quest to fight him and try to get him to run off. If you fail, he resets with all damage taken at area 3 when you redo the quest. After the initial BS, they're quite forgiving.

Lol I was attacking his beard the entire time. In fact at one point I got stuck in his beard and the graphics got all clipped.

Whose bright idea was it to make the final boss fight take place underwater, in small caverns, with a giant Elder Dragon? I hope the reason MH4 has no water combat is that whoever it was got fired and has to live in shame for the rest of his life.
FuqnPhm.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is the worst final boss of all time, lol. For this reason alone Portable 3rd must be the much better game. What a shame.

I must be super terrible at this game because I'm still stuck trying to capture that damn bear on the 2* quests. I beat his ass, let him limp off, his color turns blue so I sneak in thinking he's sleeping and the fucker german suplexes me through a boulder. WTF. I'm about to say screw it and continue on with the other 2* quests.

Your avatar makes this post so funny...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh my god stuns are such fucking bullshit in single player. With no-one else to take the monsters attention you get three whole seconds of taking eleventy billion damage.

On that note, any tips for taking Rathian solo? She seems to spin and lunge at random, so I seem to always be at risk when I go in to try and land a hit.

Well, that sure was a fun mission while it lasted. I laughed when
it walked up to me, and I had an idea of it being like Great Jaggi size, then it kept walking, and it wouldn't STOP GROWING. Also, SO MANY SWEEPING ATTACKS - it was a good thing that Cha-Cha and Kayamba were there. Also with the chomping and the growling and the sense of an unstoppable train aimed at you yes you over there. Its multiple bite attack is so awesome.

It was certainly the most action packed fight I've had up until this point, and I daresay the most fun...?

Ridley327

So, how exactly do you increase your health? I thought you just use a vitality jewel but that did nothing.

You have to have enough points for Vitality to reach +10 so that the skill can activate.

That being said, I find that having Health +whatever is a pretty useless skill, as food buffs can take care of that for each hunt you go on, and it's cheap.

Kyzon

So I'm having my non-gamer girlfriend start a character. Wish me luck in getting her hooked.

I'll take her on some multi hunts after she gets the basics down.

Oh my god stuns are such fucking bullshit in single player. With no-one else to take the monsters attention you get three whole seconds of taking eleventy billion damage.

On that note, any tips for taking Rathian solo? She seems to spin and lunge at random, so I seem to always be at risk when I go in to try and land a hit.

What weapon you using? And you're talking about regular Rathian - right?

Here's what I do with great sword:
1) I try to almost always approach from behind or the side. She almost always swings a quarter of the way around clockwise (I think?) so what I try to do is to run up to her when she's faced away from me on the ground. By the time she's turned all the way around towards me then I've got a level one, maybe level two charge swinging on her head. I then roll out of the way to the left and then sometimes forwards after that to get away from her tail.
2) I usually do not stay underneath her except when she's tired and just standing there trying to catch her breath. Otherwise she's liable to do the upswing tail poisoning thing on me and that's no fun. Once you know what to do and can read her, however, you'll know when you can manage hanging underneath her to get in a few hits before ducking out of the way.
3) If she launches into the air then I stay away. If she starts to fly towards me to do the grabbing and poisoning thing I just duke to one side. (Pink Rathian requires rolling out of the way twice).

Don't know if that helps or not. Just keep trying and you'll see her pattern after a while. She's quite easy to read after a couple of fights (or was for me anyway).

EDIT: I of course try to go for the tail when I can - I was trying to help provide a general strategy maybe... :p

Oh yeah - if you get caught on fire and you want it to go out quicker you can dive a couple of times. Only one dive is usually needed if you dive into a stream or something.

She has various openings depending on your weapon, but in general:

1. Don't be in front - always stay off to the side. The majority of her attacks are concentrated to the front, aside from the triple fireball.

2. Watch out for her fireball attack - this is a prime opening for you. When that head rears back, move in close and take some hits, and back off when she shakes her head afterwards. However, if she pulls back her entire body, she's getting ready to roar - you *definitely* want to be at a safe distance, offside, to avoid instant retaliation.

3. When she takes to the air and starts flapping about, keep to the side as well. If she turns once/twice, make sure you aren't in her path, and you will probably have an opportunity to sneak in some hits on the tail.

4. When she lands, do not stand directly in front (you get the idea...), because she may do a surprise backflip on ya.

It's all about letting her do her attacks, and attacking during lulls.

DaBoss

For stuns, try spinning the left stick like crazy. It should help decrease the wait time to recover from a stun.

To avoid the tail spin, just move right away when you notice her taking a step back.

As for lunging, do you mean the attack that can pin you down? Best way to avoid that is by sticking next to her. If she turns towards you, try to go to one of her sides.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You need to beat his ass until he runs off into a different area. Then you follow him and beat the shit out of him some more until he goes to a third area. Once more follow him. In the third area put down the paralyze trap you get from the blue box, put it right between you and the bear. He'll run right into it and trip it. From there hit him twice with the sleep bombs (I forget their name) from the chest while he's in the trap. And that's all she wrote. It also unlocks a quest where you need to kill him, which is nice revenge.

traveler

Not Wario

What weapon are you using?

As a hammer user, in general, when monsters do their two 90 degree step pivot towards me, I charge an attack to land on the head right as they swing to face me. Rathian can still trade hits if she chooses to immediately charge, but this is a favorable trade averaging all the possibilities out over time.

If you are placed directly in front of her and she just goes for a bite roll around and punish.

As she completes a flying charge, if you can get in close, you can land a hit as she's landing.

The best time of all to attack is when she goes to shoot fireballs; walk around/roll as she does it and get some hits in.

Lastly, Cha Cha and Kayamba, if you have them, should help with the attention taking bit a little. While I got used to Rathian and don't have too much trouble with her now, I definitely know what you mean re:solo content with Brachy. I can handle a reg Brachy no problem, dodging everything and getting in all kinds of hits, but as soon as he enrages, I feel like I have no window to get in a hit without him punishing me for it, often worse that whatever I do to him.

Edit: oh wow, beaten hard. at least, we all seem to be on the same page with the advice.

Edit2:

I agree with Andrex. Caedeus is hands down the worst fight in the game. Fortunately, I think he's the only monster I actively dislike facing.

DaBoss

Ceadeus isn't so bad. I just find it annoying by how long it takes, otherwise I'm fine with it, barring the fact it is completely underwater.

Well, that sure was a fun mission while it lasted. I laughed when
it walked up to me, and I had an idea of it being like Great Jaggi size, then it kept walking, and it wouldn't STOP GROWING. Also, SO MANY SWEEPING ATTACKS - it was a good thing that Cha-Cha and Kayamba were there. Also with the chomping and the growling and the sense of an unstoppable train aimed at you yes you over there. Its multiple bite attack is so awesome.

It was certainly the most action packed fight I've had up until this point, and I daresay the most fun...?

I have no idea what monster you're talking about. :p

Lastly, Cha Cha and Kayamba, if you have them, should help with the attention taking bit a little. While I got used to Rathian and don't have too much trouble with her now, I definitely know what you mean re:solo content with Brachy. I can handle a reg Brachy no problem, dodging everything and getting in all kinds of hits, but as soon as he enrages, I feel like I have no window to get in a hit without him punishing me for it, often worse that whatever I do to him.

Oh man this so much. Brachy is fine when not enraged. I go all out and can dodge its moves easily, but when enraged, all hell breaks loose.

In Mark of a Hero, I used Mega Dash Juice and would run like hell when it is enraged. Thankfully, it killed Azure Rathalos for me.

I agree with Andrex. Caedeus is hands down the worst fight in the game. Fortunately, I think he's the only monster I actively dislike facing.

That was such a BS fight. That was the one monster I felt I had to
give up my great sword and go with double fire element swords just to keep a high enough DPS on his beard. I just could not keep up the damage and stay with him with my GS.
Ironically by farming him a couple of times I had enough mats to craft a new GS with 768 raw damage and 250 water damage that I use most of the time now in high rank quests. :)

I have no idea what monster you're talking about. :p
"Slay 10 Jaggia"

Sounds pretty simple, I'll try this out.

-later-

Guild Sweetheart: !?

uh oh.
For context ;)

Also, I also don't find Ceadeus too bad, especially after watching that one video guide about him. Plus he's so slow and readable, I could just wail away without worries.

I don't usually look to replay 30 minute fights too often however. I'll go back to him when I have a nice beastly weapon to take him down faster lol.

traveler

Not Wario
It's not that he's brutally hard, it's that the challenge comes from keeping up with him in the water and doing enough damage in time, not from dodging his attacks or getting in hits in a tense encounter. It's a boring and frustrating fight. When a time limit is your principal adversary in this kind of situation, your design has failed.

That was such a BS fight. That was the one monster I felt I had to
give up my great sword and go with double fire element swords just to keep a high enough DPS on his beard. I just could not keep up the damage and stay with him with my GS.
Ironically by farming him a couple of times I had enough mats to craft a new GS with 768 raw damage and 250 water damage that I use most of the time now in high rank quests. :)

I had been doing pure hammer the entire game but crafted an upgraded a lightning lance and the Zinogre set to deal with it as well.

Is there anything you can take to raise stamina underwater? I was going against caedeus and my stamina bar was way low and I couldn't eat any steaks.

Also is there an easy way to fight Diablos. His tail is totally destroying me and he's way to fast to run after because I'm using a switchaxe,.

Mzo

So I'm having my non-gamer girlfriend start a character. Wish me luck in getting her hooked.

I'll take her on some multi hunts after she gets the basics down.

Is she generally good at action games? i would absolutely hate playing this game with someone who wasn't at least fairly skilled, guy or girl. When someone takes up all three lives 30 minutes into a boss fight you're basically soloing it can end relationships.

Ken

Is there anything you can take to raise stamina underwater? I was going against caedeus and my stamina bar was way low and I couldn't eat any steaks.

Also is there an easy way to fight Diablos. His tail is totally destroying me and he's way to fast to run after because I'm using a switchaxe,.

rations. i believe one of the air bubble item gathering spots in the ceadeus room has rations (at least it does for gbeard ceadeus) you can also make energy drinks I think? it's some stamina item that can be consumed while underwater but i forget what the ingredients are

as for diablos, do the sonic bomb into flash bomb trick when not enraged

when enraged just run around until he is back to normal

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
From last page. Anyone make this thing?

Unless the ingredients changed since Tri I have everything (3 Qurupeco Feather, 1 Flintstone, 5 Monster Bone M)
Plume Flint? Mine was an upgrade from Iron Hammer+, I couldn't forge it new.

Also it's 2 Qurupeco Feathers, 1 Flintstone, 2 Monster Bone L. (Not M)

rations. i believe one of the air bubble item gathering spots in the ceadeus room has rations (at least it does for gbeard ceadeus) you can also make energy drinks I think? it's some stamina item that can be consumed while underwater but i forget what the ingredients are

as for diablos, do the sonic bomb into flash bomb trick when not enraged

when enraged just run around until he is back to normal

What's the sonic bomb into flash bomb trick?

Use a lance. :p
I have the lance from farming bullfangos but I suck at using it because 1 block and my stamina is nearly done.
I have a way easier time with deviljho.

Mzo

I don't know much about switch axes, but if it's anything like GS you don't really try to move around with it out. Ever.

Diablos leaves himself open quite a bit. I'd recommend watching a video since it's kind of tough to describe exactly where to stand and how to hit him, but he usually is open after almost all his attacks.

You can get him to ram his head into quite a few different objects to get stuck for some free hits. You can also sonic bomb him as soon as he finished digging into the ground (when he's not enraged) for some good damage.

When I'm learning a fight or when I'm killing a monster for the first time and feel under-equipped I bring all the fucking accouterments available to the fight.

DaBoss

Hmm? I used a hammer for facing for the first time in MH3U since it was the only fire weapon I had and I'm not much of a hammer user either, but managed to beat it pretty easily (~5 min remained).

I did have lots of experience from fighting it in Tri.

For context ;)

Also, I also don't find Ceadeus too bad, especially after watching that one video guide about him. Plus he's so slow and readable, I could just wail away without worries.

I don't usually look to replay 30 minute fights too often however. I'll go back to him when I have a nice beastly weapon to take him down faster lol.

Ohhhh that quest. The reveal was pretty crazy.

Rations and combing Rare Steak or Well-done Steaks with dash extract will give you Dash Juice and Mega Dash Juice, respectively. They can be used underwater and briefly give you unlimited stamina.

For Diablos, try setting a shock trap to make its tail easier to reach. Also try knocking it down by attacking its feet and then go for the tail. You may also want to try the Sonic Bomb -> Flash Bomb combo.

Is she generally good at action games? i would absolutely hate playing this game with someone who wasn't at least fairly skilled, guy or girl. When someone takes up all three lives 30 minutes into a boss fight you're basically soloing it can end relationships.

Well playing with someone close to you would make it not matter whether they are skilled or not.

Mzo

What's the sonic bomb into flash bomb trick?

After a sonic bomb Diablos digs his way out and flies up for a sec. You can flash bomb him in the air since you know exactly where he's facing and he falls down for some more free hits.

There's no way anyone would think Diablos is harder than Deviljho. Something is horribly wrong.

Kyzon

I just made it to G-Rank, so I'm already planning on carrying her through mostly everything. She's terrible at action games actually, lol. As long as I can get the monsters stumbling with constant rains, and gem in my anti ninja so they target me mostly we'll be fine.

Edit: Oh and thanks Will, I'm going to need all of this luck.... "Quality Time"

Thoraxes

Ok, so i'm about 20 hours-ish in and want to do online and start raising my HR.

Who/where/what kind of rooms should I be looking for?

ChuyMasta

I want to capture a great Jaggi.... but the lady doesn't sell me the equipment I need. (I had the supplies while doing a quest to capture that bear looking monster -Level 2 quest) But now I have no idea where to get traps and tranquilizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom