• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

How ridiculous would it be to go out and buy a Wii-U for this.. I'm really enjoying the 3DS version but going solo against everything is getting tiresome, especially if I could have other hunters cutting off tail while I smash the head.

Good quick session last night though. Trapped my first Legendary Ludroth, got an aqua sac which was the last thing I needed for the splash hammer. Immediately fought Barroth with my smash hammer and make quick work of him, dropped only 4 scalps! wtf
That's exactly what I did haha.

Coldsnap

@_@ Must resist. I should sell my PS3 and XBOX360 to fund it. I'm mostly PC gamer now and seems like there's no big exclusives I'll miss while this generation dies out.

Bisonian

How ridiculous would it be to go out and buy a Wii-U for this..

I bought the system at launch and it had been sitting in a box for a few months after I had my fill of Mario. I brought it back out for this and it has made me feel a lot better about my purchase. I'd say if you can find one of these price cut deals floating around, might as well go for it. If you have any interest in Nintendo's first party games, that would definitely help your decision as well.

so guys, I just got done with the lagicarus

what do I do now... DO I really have to capture a lagicarus to make the story go further, all I want to do is fight big monsters and kill them and get their gear
Be warned; the capture mission is more difficult for two reasons:

1. Less real estate to fight in (flooded forest)

2. Cha Cha will mysteriously disappear.

Bisonian

what do I do now... DO I really have to capture a lagicarus to make the story go further, all I want to do is fight big monsters and kill them and get their gear

If you feel like capturing is a chore in low rank, then bite the bullet and craft 5 perception gems and slot them into your armor. Knowing exactly when you can capture a monster took a lot of the annoyance out of plowing through the low rank offline quests, and I'm sure saved me some resources on monsters I had never seen before. Not that money is a huge issue in the game, but no need to get burned out on low rank before you see the other 2/3rds of the game's content.

Coldsnap

I bought the system at launch and it had been sitting in a box for a few months after I had my fill of Mario. I brought it back out for this and it has made me feel a lot better about my purchase. I'd say if you can find one of these price cut deals floating around, might as well go for it. If you have any interest in Nintendo's first party games, that would definitely help your decision as well.

I did buy this 3DS on a whim and it turned out to be awesome. I don't play like EVERY game so waiting for good games on platforms isn't a problem. Like the 3DS it seems like I've had a rock solid game to play ever 3 months or so, which is perfect for my play style. Maybe the Wii-U will be like this.

Reknoc

You could just do the Powderstones quest if you want, I did.

@_@ Must resist. I should sell my PS3 and XBOX360 to fund it. I'm mostly PC gamer now and seems like there's no big exclusives I'll miss while this generation dies out.
I don't know about selling your PS3, but I would sell the 360. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting coming out for it for the rest of this generation that's exclusive. The PS3 is worth keeping around since the PS4 won't be BC (lolz). IMO, this game is worth buying a Wii U for. I had 500 hours in Monster Hunter Tri, and I expect to beat that number with 3U due to all the extra content.

I don't know your taste in games, but I am looking forward to some other Wii U titles in the future, like Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and The Wonderful 101. It's unlikely that the system will have absolutely nothing else for you to enjoy past this game.

Porcile

Noob question time. All these items I'm gathering, do i just store them in my item box and hold on to them for later forging and so on? I'm talking about things such as Kelbi Horns, Bones etc Will they come in useful later on, or should I just sell the stuff which is obviously pretty common and seemingly useless?

Nearing the end of Low Rank, but I've been stockpiling an impressive array of Switch Axes in preparation for High Rank: Azuros Axe+ (Poison; will become the slime axe eventually), Blitzkrieg+ (Paralyze; will become a Power weapon), Bolt Axe+ (Lightning), Pecospander+ (Fire), Ludroth Axe+ (Water), and Rough Edge (Dragon).

A weapon for almost every occasion.

Now, I just need to replace my aging Barroth armor. What would people suggest? Rathalos?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Me: Wow this game is fricking awesome! Taking all the monsters and have only gotten carted twice!

Ceadeus:

tumblr_mah0mshvdJ1qk6wc3o1_500.gif

Me:
LLShC.gif

Noob question time. All these items I'm gathering, do i just store them in my item box and hold on to them for later forging and so on? I'm talking about things such as Kelbi Horns, Bones etc Will they come in useful later on, or should I just sell the stuff which is obviously pretty common and seemingly useless?
My rule is to keep everything, and sell down to 50 when I get in the 80-90 region. Having too much is better than having to do gathering quests for an hour.

DaBoss

Kelbi Horns are useful for Ancient Potions, these things are handy. Bones could help you make pickaxes or bug nets, but I generally buy them from the shop, so I don't really need them. They could be required for upgrades and stuff so I just keep them.

EDIT: Yea, what Karsticles says is pretty much the best thing to do.

Santiako

Nearing the end of Low Rank, but I've been stockpiling an impressive array of Switch Axes in preparation for High Rank: Azuros Axe+ (Poison; will become the slime axe eventually), Blitzkrieg+ (Paralyze; will become a Power weapon), Bolt Axe+ (Lightning), Pecospander+ (Fire), Ludroth Axe+ (Water), and Rough Edge (Dragon).

Now, I just need to replace my aging Barroth armor. What would people suggest? Rathalos?

Volvidon is great for Switch Axe, it has Evasionand it's very easy to make.

Mupod

Volvidon. It's incredibly good for all blademasters and super easy to make.

Bisonian

I did buy this 3DS on a whim and it turned out to be awesome. I don't play like EVERY game so waiting for good games on platforms isn't a problem. Like the 3DS it seems like I've had a rock solid game to play ever 3 months or so, which is perfect for my play style. Maybe the Wii-U will be like this.

Yeah, if I get Monster Hunter, then say Pikmin 3 this summer, then Mario 3D this winter, it'll probably be enough to make me happy with the system. I do most of my gaming on PS3/PS4, so I guess I have a realistic expectation for Wii-U. It's expensive, but at least I know the games that I am looking for will be really quality and I'll enjoy for quite a while.

Bisonian

I did almost the same thing, except I made an Ice weapon (Azure something I believe?), and stayed away from the status ones. It does sound like though at some point Slime is the way to go. I definitely leaned hard on the Bolt Axe+ and the Pecospander+ through low rank however.

I replaced my Barroth armor with Lagiacrus armor because I was helping a friend farm it. It seems to work really well with my elemental axes, as well as my role in team fights (slicing off critical parts). It feels like I'm doing a lot of damage anyway. There are probably better sets out there (Barioth is tempting with Evasion), but I'm just starting high rank at this point and I'll upgrade to there.

These are the gunner set skills, I'm assuming that is what you want.

Gigginox X
Status Atk +2
Awaken
Load Up
Element Atk Down

Gigginox Z
Thunder Atk+2
Stamina Thief
Focus
Ice Atk Down

You can use Shock Traps. It will charge up, but you can still cap it using Shock Traps. Just through Tranq Bombs before it breaks free.

Yeah I wanted the gunner skills haha. Skills look the same, guess I'll just upgrade into G Rank instead of farming for another forever. Will probably gem in Status.
I totally wish it had Awaken instead of Thunder Attack for B Giggi.

Jaruru

The off TV play feature patch was released last month for Japanese Wii U
when is this coming out for NOA??? >< really love the flexibility

denshuu

There are only certain quests you have to do in order to progress through the game, but they're not marked in-game. There's a list of them here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Village_Quests

The ones marked 'Key Quest' are the only ones you have to do to progress. The rest are optional.

There are only certain quests you have to do in order to progress through the game, but they're not marked in-game. There's a list of them here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Village_Quests

The ones marked 'Key Quest' are the only ones you have to do to progress. The rest are optional.
It has errors, though. For example, Leader of the Icepack is listed as a Key Quest, but I'm currently at the Lagiacrus Urgent without doing it.

It has errors, though. For example, Leader of the Icepack is listed as a Key Quest, but I'm currently at the Lagiacrus Urgent without doing it.

A few, yeah, but it's still good enough to get a decent checklist going.

Looks like I'll need some help smashing Diablos's horns later in High Rank. Need a Majestic Horn. Anyone wanna help on that? Will be in 5 hours, so plenty of time to decide haha.

DoubleTap

Sweet. I just gotta find the Basic version with a price cut somewhere.

Check Ebay for prices around the $250.00 (shipped) or better. They go fast at those prices.

I pulled the trigger on the Basic unit myself just for this game. My intention was to just go solo on 3DS but my tired eyes will thank me for the migration to the big screen. I may also need some help getting materials so I can advance to the higher rankings with less frustation later on. I had no idea I would be this addicted to this game :p

Hopefully MH4 will get a Wii U version as well.

Dragoshi1

I can't believe in all of these years since Tri first came out, I never knew the Switch Axe can do that element burst move.

rugioh

Banned
tfw being at work unable to hunt

Its kind of sad, I think to myself all the hunting I'll get done when I get home but when I end up actually getting back, I end up procrastinating on killing Ceadus. That fight sounds soooo monotonous and I have to do it twice to get to HR? =(

Ridley327

Its kind of sad, I think to myself all the hunting I'll get done when I get home but when I end up actually getting back, I end up procrastinating on killing Ceadus. That fight sounds soooo monotonous and I have to do it twice to get to HR? =(

Only once; the quest where you can actually kill it is different from the one you absolutely have to do. You only have to do enough damage to it, as well as break his horn, in order to complete it. I did it in a little over 15 minutes, and they give you 35.

Mupod

His battle music will fool you into thinking it's awesome. And yeah, only need to repel him once. Might as well go finish the job afterwards though.

yami4ct

I'm part way through HR2 now, so almost High Rank, and I was wondering what armor sets should I concentrate on getting once I get to High Rank? I'm maining Long Sword right now, but would also like a set for a Lance which is my secondary weapon. Kind of want to know what I should be working towards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Same. Goddamn is it awful.

Korezo

I'm part way through HR2 now, so almost High Rank, and I was wondering what armor sets should I concentrate on getting once I get to High Rank? I'm maining Long Sword right now, but would also like a set for a Lance which is my secondary weapon. Kind of want to know what I should be working towards.

Go for a Rathlos set or barroth, rathlos may take a while because his plate is a bitch to drop. Ive killed him at least 50 times and gotten only 2 plates.

yami4ct

Go for a Rathlos set or barroth, rathlos may take a while because his plate is a bitch to drop. Ive killed him at least 50 times and gotten only 2 plates.

Already run Barroth and it's doing well for me. Rathlos upper rank armor requires 2 plates and a ruby, which is terrifying. Luckily HR Raths drop plates in tail carves fairly often it seems. I may farm HR Rath for a plate and run with LR Rath armor until I feel like going to crazy town and get HR Rath.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rathalos and Rathian Plates (and Ruby) have both been kind to me in Ultimate. I have at least two of each. I also managed to pick up a Brachy Gem on my first fight against him and didn't have much trouble finding an 'ogre Jasper either. This is just my luck balancing out with the punishment I had to endure in Tri.

For the tailcase I'd recommend mining his tail midfight, breaking it off and carving it (easiest with a hammer/HH), and capturing him. I'm not 100% sure on this since I don't have the Brady guide here. But I do all this and I have tons of them.

Whoa - you can mine tails mid fight?!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rathalos and Rathian Plates (and Ruby) have both been kind to me in Ultimate. I have at least two of each. I also managed to pick up a Brachy Gem on my first fight against him and didn't have much trouble finding an 'ogre Jasper either. This is just my luck balancing out with the punishment I had to endure in Tri.

Yeah, was surprised to get two Rath plates too. Hoping this carries over to future drops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom