• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garou

Question about armor elemental-resistance: I have the Lagiacrus-armor which is weak against fire, if I get the food buff for fire-resistance I end up with a value of 7 for fire. Does that count as is or does this also have to go to 10 to do anything?

Coldsnap

Can someone explain me books in the game? Bought one cause it said something about making my combos better, it's just sitting in my inventory.

chrono01

Question about armor elemental-resistance: I have the Lagiacrus-armor which is weak against fire, if I get the food buff for fire-resistance I end up with a value of 7 for fire. Does that count as is or does this also have to go to 10 to do anything?

Having the -10 Fire Res Skill Debuff is actually -20 in actual fire resistance. So, if you ate and gained +7 Fire Resist, you'd still have -13 Fire Resist [-20 + 7].

At least, from what I can see.

Can someone explain me books in the game? Bought one cause it said something about making my combos better, it's just sitting in my inventory.

Each Book increases the chances of getting a successful combination [and not garbage]. Some recipes are harder to create than others, so it helps out later on.

They have to be in one source to be effective, though, but can be easily stored in your storage and used to combine items straight from there.

DaBoss

Combo books increase the chances of combining items being successful. I don't remember how much each book increases combination success rate, but you will see a percentage on the left when combining items saying what the chances of it being successful will be.

As long as you have the combo book(s), your chances will be better.

EDIT: Beaten like a Brachydios.

Satch

Banned
my favorite thing to do is go in HR1 rooms and help out

getting hit by HR1 lagi is like being bothered by a housefly

Downed Rathian (low rank) this morning which was pretty easy and unlocked the Lagiacrus urgent quest.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for a next armor upgrade? Currently have an upgraded Wroggi set and use a hammer or long sword.

Thinking a Rathalos set but I'm not sure how far away he is or if I should just go for the Lagi set.

chrono01

Downed Rathian (low rank) this morning which was pretty easy and unlocked the Lagiacrus urgent quest.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for a next armor upgrade? Currently have an upgraded Wroggi set and use a hammer or long sword.

Thinking a Rathalos set but I'm not sure how far away he is or if I should just go for the Lagi set.

I wish I could help you, but I'm struggling with the same decision.

On one-hand, I want the Lagiacrus armor for Focus and Weakness Exploit [which I heard helps a bit], as well as the sheer number of slots [5].

The Rathalos set, however, grants you Attack Up [M], which is easily upgradeable to Attack Up [L]. It only has three slots, though.

I'm a Great Sword user, so Focus sounds like it would help things [I don't have problem timing the Level 3 Charge], but being able to do-so faster would mean [essentially] more damage-per-second, especially if the monster is knocked down/stunned/trapped.

It's only LR, so I know I shouldn't worry too much, and yet...here I am.

Also, if you just encountered Lagiacrus, Rathalos shouldn't be too far off at all.

Neki

man where can I find might seeds, is from the same resource that gives paintberry/sap plants? because that's all I get from those things on the ground xD

Man, Ceadeus is next to impossible with the bow. I'm showering his face with flaming arrows and he couldn't give less of a fuck. Can't even get into the second area. I'm tempted to go back to my great sword roots just to handle him.

So after a bit of online play, my game started to dip in FPS a lot, and make strange glitchy noises for a few minutes. Why is this? Has it happened to anyone else?

Man, Ceadeus is next to impossible with the bow. I'm showering his face with flaming arrows and he couldn't give less of a fuck. Can't even get into the second area. I'm tempted to go back to my great sword roots just to handle him.

Better to use Dragon or Thunder if you can over Fire. Plus set cha cha to Dragon attack. Then you'll show him who's boss!

Haunted

Every weapon is viable, but it's a cold hard truth that some weapons are better suited than others to certain situations and monsters.

Ceadeus is pretty much a pure dps race, if you don't have a solid weapon with its weakness (Thunder/Dragon) at that point in your progression, it's tough. I went with my thunder Long Sword after playing most of the quests with the gunlance. Simply better suited.

4 pieces of the Lagi set and Rathalos set :(

Either I farm for 2 horns or 1 plate

Which one would be less soul crushing? I must have killed/captured more than 10 Raths and fighting Lagi underwater with a hammer feels like a kick in the dick

DaBoss

Which one would be less soul crushing? I must have killed/captured more than 10 Raths and fighting Lagi underwater with a hammer feels like a kick in the dick

Horns are much easier than a Plate.

JKTrix

Just beat Duramboros in the Village quest (captured), that's definitely the longest I've spent in a battle. I only had 13 minutes left in the quest, was getting anxious and low on supplies.

chrono01

If I were you, I'd just go for the horns. As DaBoss said, they're much easier than the Plate. I see that you've already obtained the Lagiacrus Plate for the armor piece that needed it, so you're set there.

As for me, I need both Plates so my decision is a bit more difficult. I can go for either, since I have the materials for them all aside from the Plates [go figure]. -_-

Horns are much easier than a Plate.

If I were you, I'd just go for the horns. As DaBoss said, they're much easier than the Plate. I see that you've already obtained the Lagiacrus Plate for the armor piece that needed it, so you're set there.

As for me, I need both Plates so my decision is a bit more difficult. I can go for either, since I have the materials for them all aside from the Plates [go figure]. -_-

Lagi it is. Just checked and I have an extra Lagi plate and I think I've only fight 5 lol

Meanwhile I have 11 Rath Marrows and no plates

Mupod

I need to rearrange my Wii U setup, the gamepad's battery is just not at all sufficient for this game and I need the mic/headphone output. I can set it up next to me instead of having the charge cradle over by the TV, but I'll need to do some power cord gymnastics.

Dual Swords are pretty fun now. And quite ridiculous with a HH user spamming the infinite stamina song. I love how easy it is to dodge roars with their sidestep in Narga gear, I can avoid Brachy's entirely for example.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Holy shit this Duramboros fight is stupid long. I've chased him like 6 times, he's been limping for 8 minutes of pure attack. I'm losing patience. Fight has been going on for 30 minutes now.

robot

I'm around 25 hours in and starting to get bored of the Sword/Shield. It was a good entry level weapon but I feel like it's a bit weak and I barely use the shield itself. Also tried Dual Swords but wasn't really feeling that either.

Does anyone recommend the Long Sword? The leveling up thing seems interesting - I know you have to be careful w/ it online especially with the wide swings. I did a run with it and it was pretty cool, albiet a little slow. Just wondering if anyone has had some success with it.

DaBoss

I'm around 25 hours in and starting to get bored of the Sword/Shield. It was a good entry level weapon but I feel like it's a bit weak and I barely use the shield itself. Also tried Dual Swords but wasn't really feeling that either.

Does anyone recommend the Long Sword? The leveling up thing seems interesting - I know you have to be careful w/ it online especially with the wide swings. I did a run with it and it was pretty cool, albiet a little slow. Just wondering if anyone has had some success with it.

Yup, Long Sword is good.

I am currently maining the Switch Axe, Long Sword, Lance, Great Sword, and Hammer. Long Sword is what I used to beat the second last village quest which is crazy hard.

:lol
When I switch to it from the hammer it feels the opposite of slow :p

Mupod

why are these guys showing up outside the village every time I beat one?

High Rank moga woods is like...that part at the beginning of the Hobbit, except with monsters instead of dwarves.

Just got the Qurupeco Hunting Horn. I've made a mistake.

ibjw0LyX0XU2M0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom