• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, honest question.

Should I get this for the 3ds if I have no way to co-op, and also have no intentions of getting the pro controller?

yami4ct

So, honest question.

Should I get this for the 3ds if I have no way to co-op, and also have no intentions of getting the pro controller?

I dumped 60 hours into Low Rank Single Player as I was just learning to play the game. Had I stopped there, I probably would have been satisfied with the purchase price.

That being said, the game is so so much better online. It's crazy how much deeper it gets when you have people to back up and support you.

Antiwhippy

Hmm.

So if I want to have a more satisfactory experience, should I just wait for 4?

It's between this and EO4 really, and I'm leaning towards EO4 for now.

yami4ct

You can certainly have an awesome time and get your money's worth from Single Player, but Monster Hunter does really shine as co-op. If 3DS is your option, I'd wait until 4 comes and you get online co-op.

Made more weapons today.

At least two of them have a paralysis feature (Ground Dasher SA [turned Binding Roller] and Paralykeet Hammer) that has a chance to actually make monsters hold still.

I think I can use this on a Nibelsnarf or Gobul (the latter which I hate!).

I'm surprised how easy a Volvadon was in a 5* rank mission.

Mzo

At least two of them have a paralysis feature that has a chance to actually make monster hold still.
It's not random, your hits inflict stun points to the monster (which deplete while you're not hitting them) and they'll be stunned when you get to a certain total. There's diminishing returns so it takes even more stun points to stun them a 2nd or 3rd time.

It's not random, your hits inflict stun points to the monster (which deplete while you're not hitting them) and they'll be stunned when you get to a certain total. There's diminishing returns so it takes even more stun points to stun them a 2nd or 3rd time.

Really? That's interesting.

WhyMe6

Ohhhhh my gosh just did the Rathian village quest for the first time.

So scary :(

And it only gets scarier from here...

Loving this game.

ramyeon

Took on Brachy today and ranked up to HR4. So easy. Proceeded to farm him so I could make my new Dios Axe and then started farming Zinogre which is a fun fight.

Yuripaw

Banned
So I could use some tips >_< I'm up to the 2 star quest called Bear Trap...

I guess I'm not understanding how I capture this thing alive. I'm not sure which item actually captures the monster, and I'm not sure how to use them effectively. I run out of items before I know what I'm doing. I thought attacking with A instead of X was the nonlethal way of attacking a monster, but I still ended up killing it by accident. Could someone please help me understand trapping better?

I guess I'm not understanding how I capture this thing alive. I'm not sure which item actually captures the monster, and I'm not sure how to use them effectively. I run out of items before I know what I'm doing. I thought attacking with A instead of X was the nonlethal way of attacking a monster, but I still ended up killing it by accident. Could someone please help me understand trapping better?

If you see the monster limping while trying to escape, it's a sign that you're close to capturing it.

One trap (pit or shock) and two tranq bombs will do it.

When you have the time or chance, group decoration jewels and clothes with Perception skill points to 10, granting you the "Capture Guru" skill. Have that while tracking the monster with paintballs or a partner with a fluffy mask. When the icon blinks, that's the time to strike.

Really? That's interesting.
Paralysis, sleep, poison, and exhaustion all have hidden meters that build up at a rate determined by the weapons status effect t and the area and armor of where it was hit as well as its natural defenses. That meter depletes depending on its resistances which increases the more its afflicted and rage mode status.

Same thing applies to breaking parts and tripping/flinching. Focusing on specific parts means you can somewhat strategicly plan falls, but no one really bothers too when you have 4 weapons pounding a monster.

Busaiku

Follow Azuros into the next area when it's limping
If you go in about the same time, you should emerge 1st, then just walk a bit into the area, set the trap, and then use the bombs when it's in.

it sucks that you are hardly given any credit for village quests reading up on HRP is seems all the HR level up is online so a level HR1 late to the party like myself I better get on soon

Lyonaz

Best is to damage the monster until it starts limping to another area, then there are to 2 things you can do:

1. The safest and easiest. When the monster limps to another area, wait for it to go asleep (usually it's a fixed area where he sleeps) and crouch next towards it, put down shock trap (combine thunderbug + trap tool) and throw 2 tranq bombs to his face. Capture done.

2. If you're pretty sure he is hurt and limping and don't want to wait for it to go to sleep, you can follow him towards another area, run towards other side of this new area and put down shock trap quickly and stand behind your trap, the monster will run towards you and get trapped, throw 2 tranq bombs to face, capture done.

yami4ct

it sucks that you are hardly given any credit for village quests reading up on HRP is seems all the HR level up is online so a level HR1 late to the party like myself I better get on soon

Is HRP even a thing in Ultimate? I was under the impression that once you finish the "Key" Quests online, the HR+ Urgent unlocks. That's the way it's worked for me so far.

Is HRP even a thing in Ultimate? I was under the impression that once you finish the "Key" Quests online, the HR+ Urgent unlocks. That's the way it's worked for me so far.

key word is still online even if they ranking system change I did not go online to get the urgent quests so got to try and catch up

yami4ct

key word is still online even if they ranking system change I did not go online to get the urgent quests so got to try and catch up

You don't need to grind levels though like you did with HRP if I understood that system correctly. Here, you can disregard non-key quests and blow through HRs fairly quickly if you want to.

You don't need to grind levels though like you did with HRP if I understood that system correctly. Here, you can disregard non-key quests and blow through HRs fairly quickly if you want to.

this is all new to me so as my first experience I just don't want to be too far behind :)

So, honest question.

I went solo in MHFU and even did G rank mobs. Plonked in more than 400 hours there. You'll be fine if you love MH. I was in your shoes, but I bought the 3DS XL solely for MH3U. I'm having a blast so far. Still on Village Quest though.

PetrCobra

this is all new to me so as my first experience I just don't want to be too far behind :)

Doing offline quests first gives you some basic gear so you are not unprepared for the online quests (which are harder).

Anyway. It seems that I finally found myself a job (knock on wood) so I should be able to afford a Wii U and this game in a few months (yeah... willl need to build up some financial cushion first). Looking forward to go hunting with you guys :)

chrono01

Quite the productive day for me.

I [finally] upgraded my armor from the Jaggi to the Lagiacrus. I now have better abilities [Focus, Weakness Expolit], and socketed to remove the Status Attack Down de-buff and filled the rest with Sharpener Jewels to get Sharpener. I also still have my Auto-Guard Talismen [nothing better to replace it with, unfortunately -_-], so all total I have:

• Focus
  • Weakness Exploit
  • Speed Sharpening
  • CurrentRes (Lo) [Eh...]
  • Auto-Guard [Eh... x2]

*I use the Great Sword, and find Focus to speed up my damage quite a bit.*

I know the armor/skills still aren't the best, but it feels good to be rid of the Jaggi armor. It got a bit...tiresome to look at.

I lucked out and have an extra two Lagiacrus Plates as well, and retrieved a Rathalos Plate earlier [although I decided against the armor, since I don't yet have enough slots to go from Attack Up [M] --> Attack up [L].

I can see how people get absorbed in this game. I've given up on playing via the Game Pad without having it charged in. The battery dies way too fast [well, seemingly anyway].

Barioth was a lot of fun after a second run. Of course I almost failed the hunt quest since it was so fast.

Diablos... Not so much. It must have a longer tail than the Rath dragons. I just gave up and left.

Speaking of which, Rathalos was no joke, but luckily its not as bad as the female Rathian. I'm so glad I'm wearing my Wroggi set.

Raide

I've got Jaggid Shotels+, which I think poisons them? Maybe not, but their carcasses drop, albeit rarely. I'll try the poison bombs next.

Hrmm...they still have their raw damage which usually makes them explode .:D Either use a Bow/Bowgun with weak poison shots or just craft Poison Bombs. Really easy if you also have the Lamp Mask as well, since it attracts them and then you can throw bombs down. Also if you can give ChaCha and Kayumba Poison Attacks, that can help but they often don't instantly poison and follow it up with an exploding smack .:D

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think I just had the luckiest run ever. Was doing the dual stygian zinogre G quest and picked up a s.zin sky emerald from a shiny, then got 2 more in the quest rewards. Guess I'm making the zinogre z set lol.

Antiwhippy

I went solo in MHFU and even did G rank mobs. Plonked in more than 400 hours there. You'll be fine if you love MH. I was in your shoes, but I bought the 3DS XL solely for MH3U. I'm having a blast so far. Still on Village Quest though.

So does it play fine without the pro controller?

I heard from some sites that it is essential.

Hrmm...they still have their raw damage which usually makes them explode .:D Either use a Bow/Bowgun with weak poison shots or just craft Poison Bombs. Really easy if you also have the Lamp Mask as well, since it attracts them and then you can throw bombs down. Also if you can give ChaCha and Kayumba Poison Attacks, that can help but they often don't instantly poison and follow it up with an exploding smack .:D

Ah... ok. Right, thanks for the tips. I'll try your suggestions later.

Ken

I think I just had the luckiest run ever. Was doing the dual stygian zinogre G quest and picked up a s.zin sky emerald from a shiny, then got 2 more in the quest rewards. Guess I'm making the zinogre z set lol.

I want to like that set but those skills are @_@.

Rize_21

i was afraid you was gonna say that lol, fought goldbeard 4 times last night and got a gem so its a start i guess. I'm guessing its the goldbeard set that im after, whats the difference between selene and helios and X and Z?

It's the same armor,it's just that the name is different following the gender of your character.
The X armor brings the destroyer talent,which helps to cut monster's parts faster,Free Element,and Fencing,you will not bounce on the hard monster's parts but the downside is that your sharpness will be consumed faster.
The X armor is more painful to farm because it's twice as long for every run against the Ceadeus and requires rare items like 2 Lagia sapphire,that say,it's surely the most interesting to get though.

So, I have a full set of Ludroth armor and Ludroth Pair+. It looks cool, and the armor increases my water attack by some. Meant for fighting fire...

...If it weren't somehow weak to it :/

Oh well, I still have the blades!

Rize_21

Thank you Mupod,I've finally managed to send to the Mosswine's heaven the Sand Barioth,the Narga set has been a life changing!
I had these talents equipped:
v01ovfj.jpg
Jumping like a rabbit all around the sand barioth is great!
Edit: which ice hammer should I make?there's quite a lot of ice monsters.

Ken

It's the same armor,it's just that the name is different following the gender of your character.
The X armor brings the destroyer talent,which helps to cut monster's parts faster,Free Element,and Fencing,you will not bounce on the hard monster's parts but the downside is that your sharpness will be consumed faster.
The X armor is more painful to farm because it's twice as long for every run against the Ceadeus and requires rare items like 2 Lagia sapphire,that say,it's surely the most interesting to get though.

And Earth Dragongems.

ace3skoot

So, I have a full set of Ludroth armor and Ludroth Pair+. It looks cool, and the armor increases my water attack by some. Meant for fighting fire...

...If it weren't somehow weak to it :/

Oh well, I still have the blades!

water is a great element there are lot sof things its strong against that don't have fire for example ludorth gear is great for farming brachydios.

Yay! No more Rathalos farming. Got the armour set and put his head on a stick

*checks hammer upgrade*

5 Rathalos Scales, 2 Inferno Sacs, 2 Rathalos Plates

40FiOFT.gif

Kyzon

:O didn't know that peco had a song that puts EVERYTHING to sleep including itself.

He knocked him us, and the random Jho out.

water is a great element there are lot sof things its strong against that don't have fire for example ludorth gear is great for farming brachydios.

I figured most things were weak to ice, from the armors and such I've seen!

Is Nibelsnarf weak to water? He felt kind of easy. But everything feels short after taking Durambos many times...

Anyways, fellow dual blade users! Ludroth armor has a great ability called Marathon Runner, which causes things that consistently deplete stamina (like dashing and demon mode) to use a bit less. Very useful!

DaBoss

It uses an HRP system once you're done all Tanzia quests, IIRC.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah after you reach HR8 the guild boss will remove the HR cap and your rank will shoot up based on how many HRP you've gotten so far. Went from 8 -> 28 instantly, now I gotta grind to unlock those special monsters.

Lizardus

Fuck it, I am buying the 3DS version so I can progress while at work. Can I transfer my WiiU content, play it on 3DS and then tansfer it back to WiiU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom