• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonkaze

Ceadeus(Helios/Selene) Z .Earplugs is great for releasing the wyvern fire while the monsters roar,sharpness +1 is totally sweet with your Dios Gunlance(you have that one too,right?:)),and it adds more water damage too,which is great if you're planning to do the Plesioth gunlance to take down the G Bracchydios.The quest is all but funny to do(it takes 15 minutes on average x your luck),but it's worth it,you'll forget every other armors you had before it.Even more if you are a Lance/Gunlance user.

i was afraid you was gonna say that lol, fought goldbeard 4 times last night and got a gem so its a start i guess. I'm guessing its the goldbeard set that im after, whats the difference between selene and helios and X and Z?

Ridley327

If a monster is not weak to an element, fire for example, will the fire dmg portion from a fire sword still do some dmg to the monster or none at all?

None at all, so you're stuck with raw damage. Which isn't bad, of course, but having the right element will make things easier on you, especially in regards to dragon element weapons.

I killed over 25 sharqs and didn't get a single Sharqskin :( This is getting really annoying... I don't care about raw meats and sharpened fangs...

I killed only 1 and got it from it :D Usually, I'm not that lucky but so far everything is going smooth. Was farming Rathalos the other day for some plates and couldn't get any was ready to give up, then I checked Kayamba's inventory and he had 3 for me :D

edit:

I play with my porky on the farm before each hunt, he's my lucky charm ;)

So when a monster 'heals' or runs off and sleeps and such, does it heal back to full? Can they do that? Or do they heal a little bit?

I seem to be slippin' with the Paintballs so sometimes I'll get close and then they run off and I can't find them for 5 minutes.

So when a monster 'heals' or runs off and sleeps and such, does it heal back to full? Can they do that? Or do they heal a little bit?

I seem to be slippin' with the Paintballs so sometimes I'll get close and then they run off and I can't find them for 5 minutes.

They will never get back to full health. And when they do go to sleep, they really dont get much more.

Got super lucky with the Goldbeard drops, got several gems and I've only fought it three times so far. Gonna try and go for the armor, but I need to find Elder Dragonblood, anyone know what drops it?

This is my first time with the series (besides the demo for Freedom Unite), and I'm really loving it. I've already hit G rank online with 85 hours and I have yet to touch the single player stuff. Will buy 4 on release day if it comes out here.

Mugaaz

That damn heal is still annoying as hell.

Except all monsters have a set lair, so how can you "lose" them to sleeping? If you get there and they are asleep, you can do a 300% dmg attack ont he first hit, which should more than negate any healing. You also can just set a trap underneath them as they sleep, then tranq them when they wakeup into the trap for an instant capture.

In some of the older MH games monsters flew around A LOT more and constantly traveled, that was insanely annoying. Them sleeping on you is not a big deal in current gens.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Except all monsters have a set lair, so how can you "lose" them to sleeping? If you get there and they are asleep, you can do a 300% dmg attack ont he first hit, which should more than negate any healing. You also can just set a trap underneath them as they sleep, then tranq them when they wakeup into the trap for an instant capture.

In some of the older MH games monsters flew around A LOT more and constantly traveled, that was insanely annoying. Them sleeping on you is not a big deal in current gens.

I don't mean the sleeping. I mean as in an actual heal. I was fighting this bird thing the other day and he'd keep firing off a heal whenever I got him close.

They will never get back to full health. And when they do go to sleep, they really dont get much more.

Cool thanks.

First MH, new to everything and still trying to figure out where things "go".

Mzo

I don't mean the sleeping. I mean as in an actual heal. I was fighting this bird thing the other day and he'd keep firing off a heal whenever I got him close.
Sonic bomb or charge GS/Hammer attack will put a stop to the heal.

It might be that you have to do a set amount of damage while he's dancing to cancel the heal, so you could do it with any weapon if it's strong enough.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get Magnificent Horns from Diablos? It's HR, I know, and I'm pretty sure it'd be from breaking the horns, but as I don't have one yet, I'd imagine it's more than a sure fire deal. It's all I need for my bow slingshot.

yami4ct

Thanks to some super helpful dudes, I'm now officially High Rank in Multi-Player. Damn, Low Rank was surprisingly short. As massive as low rank single-player was, I expected something like 1/2 as crazy at least. I just blew through that. I look forward to getting my ass handed into me in High Rank now, haha.

FaintDeftone

I ended up grabbing the 3DS version for $30. This game is pretty damn hard to find. Glad to finally get my circle pad pro some use.

We'll see how it goes since this is my first Monster Hunter game.

Bested Ivory Lagi yesterday in single player and reached G rank in multiplayer today, after the desire sensor spent most of this week screwing me over and trying to make me hate this game i'm finally back on track and it feels good.

Now while my Jhen Mohran armour is great and all (loving fast charge on my hammer) i've already got my eye on something else, G Rank Qurupeco/Crimson Qurupeco, it's magnificent looking, I must have it, Crimson Qurupeco served my very well through most of high rank until old Goldenbeard started one shotting me with his hyper beam (on a side note even co-op can't make that guy fun) so it would be like going full circle.
Basically I just want that spiffy hat even if the armour itself ain't that great.

frequency

I have a problem with either the game or my controller. I wanted to ask if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Sometimes when I press A, it thinks I pressed it twice. It's rare and I really only notice it happen in menus. One time I went to talk to the guild lady to accept a quest. I pressed A on the 2 Star menu, and it automatically went into the first 2 star quest (
volcano
) and asked me if I want to accept.

The other times (maybe 3 or 4 times) it happened at the very beginning. When you start the game and skip the intro, it goes to the "Press A" screen. Sometimes when I press A, it automatically goes into the character select screen (as though I had pressed A on Continue).

I have a Wii U Pro Controller. I already exchanged it once (broken R shoulder button). I'm not sure if it's a bug with the game or if I got another defective controller. I don't want to return the controller again if there isn't a problem with it. I think I remember this issue happened before I got this new controller too. But I can't remember if it was with my older Wii U Pro Controller or the Wii U Game Pad.

It happens too rarely for me to test. I've played around 75 hours and it's only happened 4 or 5 times total.

Haunted

The Jhen Moran fight is still as puzzling as ever. >_> Never know whether Ballista shots, Cannon shots or straight up attacking him is the best strategy in the showdown phase.

Plesioth seems much improved from before, although I think the pauses they give him between attacks when he's in the water are a bit too long, it makes him look kinda lethargic sometimes.

Haunted

Got super lucky with the Goldbeard drops, got several gems and I've only fought it three times so far. Gonna try and go for the armor, but I need to find Elder Dragonblood, anyone know what drops it?
Ceadeus and Jhen Moran drop Elder Dragonblood. I think Alatreon might as well, not sure.

Wait till you get to Purple Ludroth, just make sure to have Negate Poison or bring lots of Antidotes.

Worst thing about purple is I got cocky after the tail/crown/mane breaks. He still has a surprising amount of fight after that! Most of my faints were after that lol

I ended up grabbing the 3DS version for $30. This game is pretty damn hard to find. Glad to finally get my circle pad pro some use.

You have original 3DS or 3DSXL with the XL circle pad pro? I'm using the original 3DS with CPP and it works great for MH3U.

Theres two rooms up for EU GAF, Rad GAF and supaGAF.

Both lobby 9 of free play 03, usual password (quote op for it).

supaGAF is for HR3/4/5/6.

The Jhen Moran fight is still as puzzling as ever. >_> Never know whether Ballista shots, Cannon shots or straight up attacking him is the best strategy in the showdown phase.
The Jhen Moran strategy I have always used with great success once I get a white+ sharpness weapon:

Stage 1:
Player 1 - DPSes Jhen's belly next to the ship.
Player 2 - DPSes the areas on his back.
Player 3 - DPSes the areas on his back.
Player 4 - DPSes the areas on his back, and performs extras (gong/dragonator).

Obviously, everyone uses harpoons and such when he's out of range.

Stage 2:
Player 1 - DPSes Jhen's right arm until it breaks, then moves to the belly.
Player 2 - DPSes Jhen's left arm until it breaks, then moves to the belly.
Player 3 - Harpoons Jhen when he's far, hits him with cannons when close.
Player 4 - Harpoons Jhen when he's far, hits him with cannons when close, and performs extras.

Ideally, the dedicated harpooners wear gathering and transport equipment to make harpooning and canoning go faster.

There's a great guide to the whole encounter here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/60456

DaBoss

The Jhen Moran strategy I have always used with great success once I get a white+ sharpness weapon:

Stage 1:
Player 1 - DPSes Jhen's belly next to the ship.
Player 2 - DPSes the areas on his back.
Player 3 - DPSes the areas on his back.
Player 4 - DPSes the areas on his back, and performs extras (gong/dragonator).

Obviously, everyone uses harpoons and such when he's out of range.

Stage 2:
Player 1 - DPSes Jhen's right arm until it breaks, then moves to the belly.
Player 2 - DPSes Jhen's left arm until it breaks, then moves to the belly.
Player 3 - Harpoons Jhen when he's far, hits him with cannons when close.
Player 4 - Harpoons Jhen when he's far, hits him with cannons when close, and performs extras.

Ideally, the dedicated harpooners wear gathering and transport equipment to make harpooning and canoning go faster.

There's a great guide to the whole encounter here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/60456

And what if you're playing solo? :p

(I think) Mupod posted an excellent guide earlier on how to tackle Jhen solo.

The game can be lonely without people to play with, so I would recommend, at least, using the Wii U tunnel app to play online once you get the hang of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom