• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. There is just no game like Monster Hunter in the existence of gaming. Guess I finally had a "Monster Hunter moment".

I was fighting Plesioth for the first time in the village quest line. I'm a great sword user so of course I have to get in close. The only preparation I did for the fight (besides bringing traps, tranqs, whetstones, etc.) was to bring some frogs.

After getting to where Plesioth is swimming around in the large ocean area of deserted island, I decided to fish Plessy out with the frog. Worked well and then the fight begins! After close to 45 minutes of going back and forth between the three sea areas and on land a few times, the timer is ticking and I have just a few minutes left, I'm down to 2 mega potions, have been carted once, and I'm really starting to lose hope that I am going to win. I mean - its tired and drooling but not even limping yet!

So we're fighting on land and I feel like I've got it close to at least limping but then it dives back underwater! I know I can't go in after it as it will just tear me up so I knew I had to get the fight back on land somehow. Then I remember the frogs.

I raced over to the spot where you can use the frog to fish Plessy out and it worked! So here comes Plesioth right over to where I was. I just barely managed to pull the frog out and dodge out of the way just as its reaching me. I guess it was hungry and pissed that I took its frog. :)

After another last battle on land that lasted a good couple of minutes I was getting desperate but finally I made it limp! I hit it one more good time with a GS overhead swing and Plessy fell down on its side! Quickly thinking, I set my shock trap right next to it and got around on the other side of the trap so that it was between me and Plessy.

With probably a minute or less left on the clock and knowing this was my one and only chance, I got damn lucky and it decided to charge me head on and ran straight into the trap!

Well two tranqs later and that's one caught Plesioth. I hate to sound corny or cheesy but my heart was racing those last few minutes.

What an experience!

Fewr

The feel when you trap a monster, throw the first tranq grenade and then Kayamba kills it before you can throw the second
I've had those Bnahabra insects get between my hunter and the monster, I take time to relocate and meanwhile the monster breaks free. Argh!

--------------

Wow. There is just no game like Monster Hunter in the existence of gaming. Guess I finally had a "Monster Hunter moment".

I was fighting Plesioth for the first time in the village quest line. I'm a great sword user so of course I have to get in close. The only preparation I did for the fight (besides bringing traps, tranqs, whetstones, etc.) was to bring some frogs.

After getting to where Plesioth is swimming around in the large ocean area of deserted island, I decided to fish Plessy out with the frog. Worked well and then the fight begins! After close to 45 minutes of going back and forth between the three sea areas and on land a few times, the timer is ticking and I have just a few minutes left, I'm down to 2 mega potions, have been carted once, and I'm really starting to lose hope that I am going to win. I mean - its tired and drooling but not even limping yet!

So we're fighting on land and I feel like I've got it close to at least limping but then it dives back underwater! I know I can't go in after it as it will just tear me up so I knew I had to get the fight back on land somehow. Then I remember the frogs.

I raced over to the spot where you can use the frog to fish Plessy out and it worked! So here comes Plesioth right over to where I was. I just barely managed to pull the frog out and dodge out of the way just as its reaching me. I guess it was hungry and pissed that I took its frog. :)

After another last battle on land that lasted a good couple of minutes I was getting desperate but finally I made it limp! I hit it one more good time with a GS overhead swing and Plessy fell down on its side! Quickly thinking, I set my shock trap right next to it and got around on the other side of the trap so that it was between me and Plessy.

With probably a minute or less left on the clock and knowing this was my one and only chance, I got damn lucky and it decided to charge me head on and ran straight into the trap!

Well two tranqs later and that's one caught Plesioth. I hate to sound corny or cheesy but my heart was racing those last few minutes.

What an experience!
Haha that's a good story. My heart was racing when I managed to capture Lagiacrus.

-------------------

Is it easy to use hunting horn against lagiacrus? I need horns, and it's hard to get them using my long sword.

DaBoss

Haha, nice story. Monster Hunter moments are always nice to read. I think I'll post mine later, though I didn't really have a solo Monster Hunter moment.

Is it easy to use hunting horn against lagiacrus? I need horns, and it's hard to get them using my long sword.

Well you should try for yourself and find out. ;)

jesus H christ I'm like 0/25+ on the Narga Medulla what the fuck

Dat desire sensor. Try solo and hope Cha-Cha or Kayamba get some medulla. I got 2 from carving it.

Garou

Having the -10 Fire Res Skill Debuff is actually -20 in actual fire resistance. So, if you ate and gained +7 Fire Resist, you'd still have -13 Fire Resist [-20 + 7].

At least, from what I can see.

No, I meant if the actual fire resistance follows he pattern of skill points, for example is there a threshold at 10 points to activate or does it apply from the first point?

Ken

No, I meant if the actual fire resistance follows he pattern of skill points, for example is there a threshold at 10 points to activate or does it apply from the first point?

I think that only thing that activates with a certain number of element resistance is being blightproof to whatever element you have 20 points of resist to. Before that, I think the points still do mitigate elemental damage. Not sure though.

L Thammy

"Ceadeus didn't have to be bad," says L Thammy as he's cheated out of that last Crooked Horn damn. It's a cool looking monster. It's got that cool attack. But as a whole, it's just not utilized well.

The Viking theme to its gear is a lot less gratuitous than some of the other monsters' themes, too. Ceadeus actually looks like it could be out of a Norse legend: a giant, serpentine god-beast of the cold ocean.

Kyzon

I have Latent Power, and randomly my arm starts glowing while I'm sniping foo's with my bow. What exactly does this do though?

Nirran

Can anyone tell me where i can get Lagomi pelt+ from? I know HR but the G rank one that has 2 lagombi and 2 g. Baggi won't give any.

Any recommendations for which Iron GS path to follow? Trying to get an idea where to start heading.

I just took down Barroth, I'll probably start farming him for Barroth armor now.

Kyzon

I think it boosts your attack power for a limited time.

Thanks.
Any idea what activates it?

Also, since I got the GF started she has had my disk in her wii u the entire time. I tried to sneak it back into my one in the front room, but she will not stand for it. XD

Oh well, time to solo some G-Rank via 3DS AKA die.

Ken

Thanks.
Any idea what activates it?

Also, since I got the GF started she has had my disk in her wii u the entire time. I tried to sneak it back into my one in the front room, but she will not stand for it. XD

Oh well, time to solo some G-Rank via 3DS AKA die.

AFTER SUFFERING 180 POINTS OF DAMAGE WITHIN 5 MINUTES, AFFINITY IS INCREASED BY 30% AND STAMINA CONSUMPTION
IS DECREASED BY 50%.

46 more Earth Crysals to go!~

Oh look at that...Plesioth.

*runs away really fast*

...wait, that's not how it went.

Plesioth: Nerfed, thank goodness. His attacks of choice involve more diving forward, and less HIPCHECK. I actually beat him with a hammer of all things. Fancy that...

His underwater moves look a bit cool, although it was hard at first to get a handle on what he was going to do next - I didn't get a handle on what were attack cues and what were just quick movement cues till much later. His ground moveset involved a lot of standing still and going "wut". I'm not complaining though :p

End result, I busted him up bad, and capped him with a shock trap. Much more pleasant this time around. And look at that, the rest of the Plesioth decided to move to Moga Woods just to mess with me >_>

Alex

Can anyone help me drop a baleful or so, I need one hide and bits evading me quite well.

I have a room on 3-9 just called item farm or such, no pw

Kyzon

AFTER SUFFERING 180 POINTS OF DAMAGE WITHIN 5 MINUTES, AFFINITY IS INCREASED BY 30% AND STAMINA CONSUMPTION
IS DECREASED BY 50%.

46 more Earth Crysals to go!~

Ah, thanks. I have a question though. Sometimes it randomly activates while I'm just fighting and not taking damage. Is there a second trigger? (IE. Fighting Pink Rath, and I'm raining down a bunch of arrows, then my hands just starts glowing.)

I hate farming conqueror seals... But now my worn GL is fully upgraded, I think I'm dealing 500 or 600 points of dragon damage.

WHO GON CHECK ME?

Ultratech

so... this desire sensor isn't a real item :'(

But it is a cruel beast.

Like right now, I'm farming up a Rath Soul set. At this point, I have everything needed but 2 Rathalos Rubies.

Those gems aren't ever gonna drop now. ;_;

Had a nice group going for a while though. We were killing Azure Los right in the cave area so fast. lol

There was one funny moment where Jho popped up and him and Azure got into a little duel for a bit, blasting each other with shots.

Was funny as hell, since Azure's tossing fireballs and Jho's just bodying him with everything. Then Azure tried to fly up and Jho knocked him down allowing us to cut his tail.

Too good. :D

Fewr

Finally got to HR2, yes I am slow, but I will get better!

Given that people here spend 500-900+ hrs on each MonHun, there's no need to rush things, the thread will be alive for quite a while. I'm also hooked and most likely will stay like this until animal crossing.

yami4ct

Ran 4-5 Rathlos High Rank today with a ton of awesome people. Man, farming Rathlos was not a great plan for my first high rank task. He hits HARD in High Rank. I could take a few fire balls on Low, but he nearly kills me with 1 on high. Also, he seems a lot faster and more aggressive. He absolutely terrified me the first time around. I'm starting to get good with him, but I have a ways to go.

Also, imagine my surprise when a Deviljho showed up. I've never ran away from something so quickly. All this and I still walked away without a Rathlos Plate. Damn you desire sensor!

What does the affinity on weapons mean?
Basically crit rate. Positive numbers mean percent to 25% extra damage in an attack. Negative represent the chance to do 25% lower.

Huh? What's wrong with 10 Jaggia?

I did the "slay 50 Bullfango buck naked quest". LOL...just cause I needed Bullfango Pelt to make the Bullfango Hammer.

I must have made three or four different longswords yesterday and I'm constantly being teased by the next great weapon upgrade just out of reach. Still, I managed to farm a Wroggi S set and upgraded the shit out of it; now I can move on with the 6* quests without carting from a single tail swipe.

I swear the Jaggis, Bnahabras and other cannon fodder have a special AI routine for jumping between me and a trapped monster. My standard loadout now includes a minimum of 6 tranqs.

Kyzon

G-Rank Rathian fucked my entire life up. One fireball kills me if I don't have full health.

That said, gf is going to sleep. Any US gaffers online? I'm HR 6, but don't mind doing whatever HR if you're lower. If you're on high rank though, I'd like to farm sand barioth please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom