• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, I don't get trapping at all.

R. ludoth is limping, so I set a trap thinking that it's time, it got trapped and I threw 3 tranqs. But apparently I didn't read it right, so I wail on it for a few more minutes. Then I threw 3 more tranqs, still didn't work, gave it 4-5 hits and then it's dead.

So frustrating.

Also frustrating is cutting a tail only to fall right in between the area transition so that I won't be able to carve it.

Fistwell

Weekend objectives:

- craft another stinking set of armor beside nargaX, just sick of staring at it at this point, something with sharpness+1 would be nice,
- craft miralis LS,
- craft non-shitty lance.
So 2/3, more or less. Ended up crafting barriZ, just because I could. Evade extend, stam rec, and attack gem'd up to L. No sharpness+1 but it's a cute set for LS. Got a los mantle and crafted 3/5 of the silver los set, only need common drops to wrap it up.

Spent most of my time just plowing through offline quests though. Really want to give these last two quests a shot. Had to massacre waaaaaaay too many giggis and durams to get there though.

Ken

R. ludoth is limping, so I set a trap thinking that it's time, it got trapped and I threw 3 tranqs. But apparently I didn't read it right, so I wail on it for a few more minutes. Then I threw 3 more tranqs, still didn't work, gave it 4-5 hits and then it's dead.

So frustrating.

Also frustrating is cutting a tail only to fall right in between the area transition so that I won't be able to carve it.

You probably misread the limp.

robot

Should I get this game for 3ds if its my first MH and I'm only ever gonna play solo?

I'm at the 40 hour mark and have yet to go online. This is my first MH game so I wanted to learn everything solo first before playing w/ people. It's been great so far - as soon as I finish the rest of my 4 star quests I feel that I've learned enough to jump online. But honestly, if I just had the 3DS version I could easily spend another 40+ hours playing solo but can understand the difficulty of taking down future monsters alone. I'd say go for it if the game interests you.

Dragoshi1

Beat Brachy in village quests yesterday, he was fun, not too op, and not too weak.

Killed him twice to make his Switch Axe, and now the Shakalakas and I are DESTROYING everything, I set them up with Slime Attack, Bombardier, and Earplugs.

Currently farming Pink Rath for her armor set.

Mupod

So frustrating.

You should only need to throw two tranqs, unless you have status atk down on your armor. You sure you didn't miss or hit cha-cha? Also, don't mistake drooling for limping, and Ludroth walks/swims kinda funny whether he's limping or not.

For the second attempt, stupid question but he was in a trap, right? Monsters gain resistance to traps if you use more than one, so if he was in rage mode and trapped it's entirely possible he broke out before the second tranq hit.

You can try using the Perception skill, which warns you when a monster is ready for capture. You just paintball the monster and its minimap icon flashes when it's at the capture threshold.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I don't get it either. Maybe I hit one of those stupid ludoths blocking the way or something, but I definitely tried to tranq him again after I weakened him a little further.

It's limping when it's movements are really sluggish and labored looking as well as panting heavily. Maybe you mistook it when it was out of stamina?

No, definitely limping. It was staggering away to the next exit.

I dunno. Honestly maybe I just need to look up videos to see how each status looks, but it looked like it was limping like every other monster I've trapped.

Ridley327

Oh yeah, we had the greatest cap last night against Agnaktor; he was being his usual Agnaktor self (i.e. a dick) and was doing his slide charge constantly. A trap got set down in the intersection in 8 and everyone was doing their best just to catch up with the shit head. I bail out to the top of 8 to heal up a bit, and what happened next was the stuff of legends: the rest of the group finally managed to get his tail severed, but because of how he was positioned, he catapulted right into the trap after it came off. The four of us were just laughing and laughing, even if they didn't get a full view of the action like I did.

Mupod

Oh yeah, we had the greatest cap last night against Agnaktor; he was being his usual Agnaktor self (i.e. a dick) and was doing his slide charge constantly. A trap got set down in the intersection in 8 and everyone was doing their best just to catch up with the shit head. I bail out to the top of 8 to heal up a bit, and what happened next was the stuff of legends: the rest of the group finally managed to get his tail severed, but because of how he was positioned, he catapulted right into the trap after it came off. The four of us were just laughing and laughing, even if they didn't get a full view of the action like I did.

He actually pretty much sailed over my head into the trap. It was amazing.

Haunted

holy fuck.

OBYSfck.jpg

Not pictured: my depleted health (no pots left, either) and my smoking gunlance from the last-ditch-hail-mary Wyvern's Fire with which I nailed the angry Brachy mid-movement. Shot blurry because of DAT ADRENALINE RUSH.

Personal best gaming moment of 2013 right there.

Captain N

Any reason why my two bladess get really quick dull rather quickly. It sucks locking with an enemy and having to a sharpen my sword(very often).

holy fuck.

OBYSfck.jpg

Not pictured: my depleted health (no pots left, either) and my smoking gunlance from the last-ditch-hail-mary Wyvern's Fire with which I nailed the angry Brachy mid-movement. Shot blurry because of DAT ADRENALINE RUSH.

Now that's what I call a sticky situation

Mupod

Any reason why my two bladess get really quick dull rather quickly. It sucks locking with an enemy and having to a sharpen my sword(very often).

That's a fact of life for DS. There's an armor ability to halve sharpness degradation, I think it's on low rank Wroggi armor. You can also eat food to get felyne polisher (sometimes speeds up sharpening) or get the grinder armor skill which makes sharpening very quick.

Did anyone else here have the fabulous opportunity of fighting against a Rhatalos, a Great Jaggi, a Qurupeco, a Lagiacrus and a Royal Ludroth (in that order) in one go while gathering items and/or ressource points in Moga Woods?
Because I did. I felt awesome.

Just purchased this yesterday after wanting to do so since it came out. Not sure if I want to go with the great swords or the switch axes. Finally got my first quest from the guild lady.

Schwabe

@Haunted:

this is why i love monster hunter :D my experience was not so "sticky", but 1:46min left on "Mark of a Hero" and 1min left in that Quropeco-quest, where you have to kill at least two
but i killed the intruding jho too, that was so time consuming with early high rank equipment
- best gaming experiences ever ... sure, all of that would be possible faster, but it's so intense and fun after the final hit =)

Haunted

Now that's what I call a sticky situation
lkhi6.gif

@Haunted:

this is why i love monster hunter :D my experience was not so "sticky", but 1:46min left on "Mark of a Hero" and 1min left in that Quropeco-quest, where you have to kill at least two
but i killed the intruding jho too, that was so time consuming with early high rank equipment
- best gaming experiences ever ... sure, all of that would be possible faster, but it's so intense and fun after the final hit =)
Good shit. :D That adrenaline rush when you nail a monster in the final moments/minutes of the fight. Desn't happen too often, but man, it's sweet.

DaBoss

holy fuck.

http://i.imgur.com/OBYSfck.jpg

Damn, that's pretty crazy.

I have 2 moments in the game, though I finished them in the last 10 minutes or so. They're the 2 final quests in the village.

Schwabe

Damn, that's pretty crazy.

I have 2 moments in the game, though I finished them in the last 10 minutes or so. They're the 2 final quests in the village.

i still have to do the last one ... i got better equip now than when i tried it the first time (or two times), but still ... no fun ... i hate this beast... and i am a LS player... thinking about abusing the kelbi-bow for this quest, but i'm more skilled with LS :-/

DaBoss

i still have to do the last one ... i got better equip now than when i tried it the first time (or two times), but still ... no fun ... i hate this beast... and i am a LS player... thinking about abusing the kelbi-bow for this quest, but i'm more skilled with LS :-/

Use a Lance and if you can get Guard +1, that would be good. I used a High Rank Brachydios with a Dios Lance+ for The Brilliant Darkness.

How do you display health/stamina on screen when using the Wii U controller (w/ touch)?

I hate having to look down to check these things.

You'll have to remove it from the touch screen.

How do you display health/stamina on screen when using the Wii U controller (w/ touch)?

I hate having to look down to check these things.

Take it off of your bottom screen. Anything not there will be on your TV.

Is anyone hoping that the patch will somehow allow the packet relay tool to be off screen? Mainly for the chat, it sucks that I can't take my Gamepad into the other room and have an all in one chat tool while I play the 3DS version online...

Mondriaan

Did anyone else here have the fabulous opportunity of fighting against a Rhatalos, a Great Jaggi, a Qurupeco, a Lagiacrus and a Royal Ludroth (in that order) in one go while gathering items and/or ressource points in Moga Woods?
Because I did. I felt awesome.

I've hunted three or four things, but I'll return to the village if bunny ears chacha doesn't detect anything after about a minute after the last boss goes down.

I had a recent visit that was something like crimson quru, narga (captured), azuros, and ivory lagi. I think I got only one single-star rare commodity from the azuros from that. This commodity thing is kind of BS.

I've been trying like hell to kill that big ass green bird from one of the two-star quests but apparently I'm woefully under-armored. I only have the Chainmail armor. That bitch KEEPS flying away and the random Great Jaggi that stops by to mess with me is really pissing me off. I need to start focusing on better armor and weapons, though. The only weapon I have that isn't piss-slow are the dual blades and they seem to be almost useless.

P.S. I'm already so addicted that I bought the 3DS version last night so I could play while I watched TV...even though I'll be able to do that after today's patch anyway. Hopefully I'm not served with divorce papers for spending so much!

Chaos

Chainmail armor. That bitch KEEPS flying away and the random Great Jaggi that stops by to mess with me is really pissing me off. I need to start focusing on better armor and weapons, though. The only weapon I have that isn't piss-slow are the dual blades and they seem to be almost useless.!

You can hit him with dung and he should leave the area.

So I'm HR2 and defeated Lagi offline. I'm currently using GS and Barroth armor. I'm a little lost on what Armor to head for next. I've googled a bit but can't really see a clear next path.

Is there a low rank set that I should get or just stick with Barroth until high rank? And what high rank set should I head for?

Is there a good armor info resource? I can't seem to get anything good from the wiki.

DoubleTap

Should I get this game for 3ds if its my first MH and I'm only ever gonna play solo?

Assuming you're willing to give the game a chance and stick with it, YES you should. Bought this for my 3DS and had no intention of going online. Double dipped on the WiiU version to get the big screen experience and still haven't even thought of going online. I'm just 70+ hours into it and it's been a great (and addicting) ride. I love that there's so much more left to do :)

Mondriaan

I figured that might be why the game kept giving me dung bombs but my aim is so bad it's never worked. I'll try again, though. Thanks!
In my opinion the hurling mechanic is kind of busted. It's one of those things that they ought to update, but instead everyone just gets "used" to it.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to aim throwing knives, paintballs, dung bombs, and boomerangs like how you aim a bow. Boomerangs are extra fubar because I don't think it is explained anywhere that you arc it higher if you're sprinting and arc it lower if you walking (or maybe it's vice-versa).

Chaos

I figured that might be why the game kept giving me dung bombs but my aim is so bad it's never worked. I'll try again, though. Thanks!

An easy first armour to get is the Rhenoplos Armor, you can just repeat the sandy tour quest and kill the Rhenoplos (rhino mobs) cant remember the skills the armour has but its quite easy to get.

Kyzon

Fun times. I was just thinking about that. I hit the tail, saw him fly away, then wondered why all of you guys got so hype. I look over, and Agnaktor is chillin in the trap. Bah, I wish we could have replay cameras in this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been trying like hell to kill that big ass green bird from one of the two-star quests but apparently I'm woefully under-armored. I only have the Chainmail armor. That bitch KEEPS flying away and the random Great Jaggi that stops by to mess with me is really pissing me off. I need to start focusing on better armor and weapons, though. The only weapon I have that isn't piss-slow are the dual blades and they seem to be almost useless.

The Great Jaggi isn't random, the bird is sommoning him :p

Also hit him with a paintball so you can see where he flies for the next ten minutes or so.

I take it your not very far?
Once you get to High Rank quests, forging dual blades with white sharpness isn't too much hassle and you can also get armor sets which halve the amount weapons lose sharpness.
Azure Rathalos is one such armor and is really solid.

So I'm HR2 and defeated Lagi offline. I'm currently using GS and Barroth armor. I'm a little lost on what Armor to head for next. I've googled a bit but can't really see a clear next path.

Is there a low rank set that I should get or just stick with Barroth until high rank? And what high rank set should I head for?

Is there a good armor info resource? I can't seem to get anything good from the wiki.

I think you should make whatever appeals to you instead of having the internet tell you what to make. It's part of the charm of the game. You'll know when it's time to upgrade if monsters start to one-shot you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom