• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr E.

Off TV play is ok. Although I can't seem to get the Moga forecast at all anywhere?

I can get the Moga status, farm,fleet etc but no forecast.

DaBoss

Quick question. I gave regular Bow a shot and wasn't really feeling it over Heavy Crossbow. I seemed to just get way less damage with it.

What are the advantages (if any) with regular Bow?

Mobility and I think status attacks are better with a bow.

Off TV play is ok. Although I can't seem to get the Moga forecast at all anywhere?

I can get the Moga status, farm,fleet etc but no forecast.

Talk to Junior.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
To simplify things, what weapon do you intend to use?

Probably sword/shield combo, or just the single sword option. I tried the switchaxe and it was just too slow and lumbering for me. I'd like to be fast. so I guess that eliminates hammers and lances. Haven't tried the projectile firing classes.

Peru

Probably sword/shield combo, or just the single sword option. I tried the switchaxe and it was just too slow and lumbering for me. I'd like to be fast.

That's what we all thought going into Monster Hunter. After a while the heavy blows of the slower weapons reveal their true appeal, though, and the light chopstick swords feel inadequate.

Mondriaan

You don't have to pay super-careful attention to an ammo counter since running out of coatings won't lock up your hunter as badly as trying to fire an unloaded bowgun.

You also get element attacks pretty much for free. Bowguns require element based ammo, which can be expensive.

You also have a (lol-tastic) cutting attack that can in theory cut tails.

Quick question. I gave regular Bow a shot and wasn't really feeling it over Heavy Crossbow. I seemed to just get way less damage with it.

With the Bow it's pretty much mobility and taking your shots at the opportune time. Think of it this way, with a bowgun you're pretty much trying to pump as many shots as you can, whenever you can, because anything else slows you down. With the bow, you more or less store up shots, then release them all at once, running around and avoiding the monster up until the release. That is, honestly, the biggest difference between the two. At least from a philosophy standpoint, you'll find bows that change this up frequently.

And yeah status attacks are 100% better, mainly because towards the end you start having bows with almost or all of the status attacks available, and you start being like "Okay monster go to sleep. Now be paralyzed. I think you look good in poison! Man calm down and eat some exhaust shot."
It's also a LOT less dependent on ammo for surviving. With a bowgun, not having ammo means basically you're just plain screwed, since Normal S1 is laughably bad. With a bow the only damage boost you ever even half depend on is Power Coating, which is +50% attack, but when it runs out you can still deal enough damage to not cry yourself in a corner.

A bowgun's main advantage, IMO, is when you get one that has multiple elemental shots available, or get some good charms that you can just recharm/regem to add an elemental shot to exploit weaknesses. If you have the ammo/gun to support it, it's capable of being a specialized generalist... but finding the right bowgun can be a PITA.

SOURCE: Playing Bow nigh exclusively for 100+ hours so far.
EDIT: Not having to reload every 4 shots is nice too. With bows you reload once, and until you swap ammo you're good till you run out. Although Reload Speed 2 actually removes reloading altogether for bows, a convenience that bowguns can't get, and IMO is a game changer. Makes Close Range not useless!

Probably sword/shield combo, or just the single sword option. I tried the switchaxe and it was just too slow and lumbering for me. I'd like to be fast. so I guess that eliminates hammers and lances. Haven't tried the projectile firing classes.

With Sword and Shield you're going to be using your unsheathe attack to get in (the jumping lunge). If you've already got your sword out, you can do it using X+A. After that use X,X,X,X as your standard combo and X,X,X,X,A,A,A as your extended combo. Mostly you should stick to the jump in followed by the first combo then dodge to re-position yourself. Don't block too much, you have great mobility so use it. Shields are quite useful underwater however

To use an item while you're wielding your weapon, hold R for shield then press Y

That's what we all thought going into Monster Hunter. After a while the heavy blows of the slower weapons reveal their true appeal, though, and the light chopstick swords feel inadequate.

SnS and DB all day. Stay inside that ass, not that sheath un-sheath mess

Mondriaan

EDIT: Not having to reload every 4 shots is nice too. With bows you reload once, and until you swap ammo you're good till you run out. Although Reload Speed 2 actually removes reloading altogether for bows, a convenience that bowguns can't get, and IMO is a game changer. Makes Close Range not useless!
Light bowguns of a high enough rarity can get this by being "unlocked" by the armorer, but the armorer doesn't start doing this until g-rank. In exchange, rapid fire goes away.

Light bowguns of a high enough rarity can get this by being "unlocked" by the armorer, but the armorer doesn't start doing this until g-rank. In exchange, rapid fire goes away.

They get part of it, but have to throw out some movement (I've heard), dodging, and as you said rapid fire, which I find to be essential to having enough ammo to last a fight, unless you like combining crap on the go. Also, they still have to reload ammo, they can just load all ammo at once instead of on switch. With Reload Spd 2 on Bows, you literally will never once see the loading animation, ever.

tengiants

Cheers guys. I seem to have lost the ability to target large monsters too now lol. I don't have the icon to press.

Hit R2 (or whatever button it is on Wii U) to toggle your lock between the monsters. All you get is an audible click for an indication that it worked.

vareon

Just did something stupid today. Wearing a full Uragaan S set, I got a Hvy armor sphere from the last hunt and decided to upgrade my Aelucanth. Accidentally pressed YES to equip. Nobody realized it until we faced Goldbeard and one of my friends pointed out what the heck am I wearing.

Thankfully the quest was aborted anyway due to people forgetting to bring things/eat/etc.

arimanius

Wow don't know why but I tested off-tv yesterday and I was finally able to do the complete the Duramboros urgent quest and I killed a Rathian much easier than normal. Maybe having the screen much closer helped, but I also play on the 3ds with a ccp so you wouldn't think that would be the case.

muu

It's also a LOT less dependent on ammo for surviving. With a bowgun, not having ammo means basically you're just plain screwed, since Normal S1 is laughably bad. With a bow the only damage boost you ever even half depend on is Power Coating, which is +50% attack, but when it runs out you can still deal enough damage to not cry yourself in a corner.

The thing is that w/ proper preparation you never "run out" of ammo. I got 60LV3 Pierce/60LV2 Pierce/60LV1 Pierce/99LV2 Normal/99LV3 Normal shots on my current gun; had to take Rust D pretty much solo, and while he's a good match for piercing shots I barely got to my regular ammo by the time he was down. Regular/Piercing ammo can be mass-produced by bringing the combo items should this not be enough to get you through a mission.

Guess it's all about perspective. If you don't like getting readied up for missions, taking tactical reloads, etc then bowguns probably lose a lot of their appeal. I'm personally a sucker for this kind of extra motion so I find the guns very appealing. Feels good to roll away from a charging lagi, reload, then have him flinching when I unload on the thing.

Chuckpebble

They get part of it, but have to throw out some movement (I've heard), dodging, and as you said rapid fire, which I find to be essential to having enough ammo to last a fight, unless you like combining crap on the go. Also, they still have to reload ammo, they can just load all ammo at once instead of on switch. With Reload Spd 2 on Bows, you literally will never once see the loading animation, ever.

This becomes much less cumbersome once you realize you can reorder the entries in the combo list.

ramyeon

Well that was my longest extended time of playing this yet. Around 10 hours I'm guessing... All online and I couldn't stop because my luck was so good. Kept getting rubies and palliums left right and centre. Managed to clear all of rank 6 and then most of rank 7 as well. Definitely got a lot done.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm having withdrawal... I just wanna skip my classes today and hunt monsters all day .

LKJHGKL:SJHFLKSJHGS:LKDFJS:LGJKSLfkj

So sometimes I skip my marketing class and dick around on the Internet at Starbucks (have you ever taken a marketing class? It shouldn't even count as college), but lately I've been playing Monster Hunter instead. You can always identify the undercover Gaffer types when they double-take at the CPP on my 3DS XL. One dude passed by (he couldn't see my screen) and asked, "What's your hunter level?" We bro-fisted with our eyes. Secret gamers everywhere.

JoeFu

Banned
So sometimes I skip my marketing class and dick around on the Internet at Starbucks (have you ever taken a marketing class? It shouldn't even count as college), but lately I've been playing Monster Hunter instead. You can always identify the undercover Gaffer types when they double-take at the CPP on my 3DS XL. One dude passed by (he couldn't see my screen) and asked, "What's your hunter level?" We bro-fisted with our eyes. Secret gamers everywhere.

... marketing major here :(

Jaruru

With the Bow it's pretty much mobility and taking your shots at the opportune time. Think of it this way, with a bowgun you're pretty much trying to pump as many shots as you can, whenever you can, because anything else slows you down. With the bow, you more or less store up shots, then release them all at once, running around and avoiding the monster up until the release. That is, honestly, the biggest difference between the two. At least from a philosophy standpoint, you'll find bows that change this up frequently.

And yeah status attacks are 100% better, mainly because towards the end you start having bows with almost or all of the status attacks available, and you start being like "Okay monster go to sleep. Now be paralyzed. I think you look good in poison! Man calm down and eat some exhaust shot."

A bowgun's main advantage, IMO, is when you get one that has multiple elemental shots available, or get some good charms that you can just recharm/regem to add an elemental shot to exploit weaknesses. If you have the ammo/gun to support it, it's capable of being a specialized generalist... but finding the right bowgun can be a PITA.

Thanks for the tips. been thinking about to start a range weapon.

any G-rank armor recommend? for general/all kind of fights :)

Septimius

I'm having trouble with online, sadly. Seems my wireless bridge isn't transparent, and that interferes with gaming. Not really sure how I'll fix this, but I'll figure something out. No one's happened to come across a set of ports the game uses? I found a very general range, but I can't really forward all of them to my Wii U without just ruining a lot of other traffic for the other people using the network.

So far this game has been "You should use this weapon to beat this monster, but this weapon is only craftable after you beat the 3 monsters after this monster ... oh, and you'll need stuff from the current monster to be able to beat the monsters after this one".

So far this game has been "You should use this weapon to beat this monster, but this weapon is only craftable after you beat the 3 monsters after this monster ... oh, and you'll need stuff from the current monster to be able to beat the monsters after this one".

Or you could just not use optimal weapons and beat the guy anyway. Worrying about that crap can kill your fun. I'm at the end of the offline game and I've made exactly one new weapon and less than one set of armor since starting high rank.

Emitan

LOL yesterday I was helping some people grind Rathians in high rank and a Deviljho showed up and kept falling into all of our traps so we got so mad that we utterly destroyed it. None of us had ever even fought a Jho before.

Septimius

Not really. As long as your weapon has high damage, even if you bring a fire-weapon to fight in the volcano, you're really only losing out on the elemental bonus. Hardly crucial. I beat the story-line just now, and I have a total of four sets of armor. Only that felt a bit of a drag was taking down Rathalos enough times, but I had to get those Rath talons from somewhere, anyway. Most hunts I've taken down one time. Then I check their armor; if it's something I have to have, I'm excited enough to grind for it, anyway!

EDIT: Is there any way for me to check what the price of MH3U is on 3DS online someplace? I don't have my 3DS handy.

burgerdog

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with NO on this one. I used the same LS for a ton of quests and never had a problem.

Hoodbury

You don't need special weapons to kill specific monsters. That's just the min/max'ers talking who are usually awful at the game anyway. Every weapon has raw damage and so you are always doing that damage no matter what.

If you don't want to get into the Status/element game then a good weapon type is hammer or GS and just go for the weapon that gives you the highest raw damage.

DaBoss

Not really. As long as your weapon has high damage, even if you bring a fire-weapon to fight in the volcano, you're really only losing out on the elemental bonus. Hardly crucial. I beat the story-line just now, and I have a total of four sets of armor. Only that felt a bit of a drag was taking down Rathalos enough times, but I had to get those Rath talons from somewhere, anyway. Most hunts I've taken down one time. Then I check their armor; if it's something I have to have, I'm excited enough to grind for it, anyway!

EDIT: Is there any way for me to check what the price of MH3U is on 3DS online someplace? I don't have my 3DS handy.

It is $39.99.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54119742]Or you could just not use optimal weapons and beat the guy anyway. Worrying about that crap can kill your fun. I'm at the end of the offline game and I've made exactly one new weapon and less than one set of armor since starting high rank.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was saying it more jokingly. I'm trying to make a fire weapon to make the Lagi HR2 hunt in online mode more easy for the girl and I since it took me 40 minutes in offline (girl hasn't fought it). I just find it amusing that every online search I do is "get this stuff that's 3 * levels above where you're at, makes it really easy!"

Although this thread and community have been a great help.

EDIT: Yeah, I know I don't 'need' special weapons. And so far the only fight I've actually really failed was Durambros mainly because I went unprepared. I now have a list of items I take so I don't make that mistake. 7 minutes left and I have no Energy Drinks sucked.

arimanius

That sounds pretty cool. May have to give bows a try. Been hesitate to try a gunner weapon since that means keeping up with 2 sets of armor.

andthebeatgoeson

Is there anything ingame that will show you what each monster looks like besides the avatar they use? I'm early on in single player. Sometimes it tells me to go kill some monsters that I have no clue what they look like.

Hoodbury

Is there anything ingame that will show you what each monster looks like besides the avatar they use? I'm early on in single player. Sometimes it tells me to go kill some monsters that I have no clue what they look like.

After you kill them for the first time after the rewards screen it says something like 'monster XX has been added to the gallery'. You can see them there then. Talk to your cat in your house area. Not sure if that will give you what you want though. Otherwise the internet has everything of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom