• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fought my first Zinogre

After getting stunned about 10 times this is how it ended

camerazoom-20130417018rauw.jpg

Carved a gem too

Septimius

Is there anything ingame that will show you what each monster looks like besides the avatar they use? I'm early on in single player. Sometimes it tells me to go kill some monsters that I have no clue what they look like.

May seem a bit daunting at first, but you'll get to know the flora and fauna of Monster Hunter very quickly. Maybe not the highest priority, but it could be good to buy some of the monster books from the shop, so you can at least read about the monster type and figure out which to kill.

Is there anything ingame that will show you what each monster looks like besides the avatar they use? I'm early on in single player. Sometimes it tells me to go kill some monsters that I have no clue what they look like.

Not really. Large monsters should be obvious since there's nothing else like them roaming around and each new large monster is introduced via a cut scene when you enter the area its in. As for small monsters, if you can't connect the icon with the monsters, then probably best to just do an image search online.

I finally completed my bone armor and I've discovered the wonders of combos...the game is slowly (SLOWLY) coming together for me. Now if I could just kill that bastard bird. I'm having nightmares about having to capture him if killing him is this hard :-/

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I love it but its a thing of necessity lol. Wife is usually watching a movie or.....tv. To me it's awesome. If you have unfettered access to your tv it's meh I guess.

For me, although I have unfettered access to my television, I have a limited time frame in which to play games/watch shows. Off-tv play lets me indulge in both those habits, and it's dramatically increased my playtime as a result.

ryz

I finally completed my bone armor and I've discovered the wonders of combos...the game is slowly (SLOWLY) coming together for me. Now if I could just kill that bastard bird. I'm having nightmares about having to capture him if killing him is this hard :-/

Just keep at it. Not long ago qurupeco seemed unbeatable, now he's dead in a few minutes. Capturing usually shortens fights (if done properly).

Raide

It can take a while to grasp you. Once you make that progression of beating a monster and then moving onto the next, you then know you're hooked. :D

What weapon are you using?

Mondriaan

How's everyone enjoying off Gamepad play?

I tried it last night, but it makes the lack of short-cuts more noticeable. It's clunky that you can choose to either have shortcuts for things like checking moga woods forecasts or you can play off-screen, not both.

It can take a while to grasp you. Once you make that progression of beating a monster and then moving onto the next, you then know you're hooked. :D

What weapon are you using?

I'm using the Matched Blades + (I believe, still sketchy with names). I can't handle how slow everything else I've tried has been.

I've actually found it fun to run into Great Jaggis now. The first time I saw one I peed myself and fainted pretty fast but now it's like an annoying gnat that goes down relatively quickly. I can't wait until I feel the same about this asshole bird (I refuse to use his real name).

Mileena

Banned
I'm starting to really dislike fighting underwater.

I'm just trying to break your horn lagiacrus! Stop fucking moving.
Underwater is really the only huge beef I have with the game. I'm really glad they see the light with MH4 but they should have removed them from Ultimate too :/

Gamepad only from my bed was amazing and I got amazing drops last night as well allowing me to max out two more greatswords. Two palliums and 2 rubies from a single run of dual steel uragaan and dual brachy. Lucky stuff. 8 abyssal shockers was actually the hardest thing to get last night and in the process got another dynamo.

When you dont need things, they come to you. Had no plans to finish that bracy gs until I got that palli. Now that the game has blessed me with uragaan parts, I will probably build that next. Just go with what the game affords you people. You will be less stressed that way.

I have already built two sets and an LS for fun, but now that is all that is left for me to do aside from finishing SP.

I'm using the Matched Blades + (I believe, still sketchy with names). I can't handle how slow everything else I've tried has been.

I've actually found it fun to run into Great Jaggis now. The first time I saw one I peed myself and fainted quickly but now it's like an annoying gnat that goes down relatively quickly. I can't wait until I feel the same about this asshole bird (I refuse to use his real name).

This whole post, pretty much. Can't handle how fucking slow I move and attack with Switch Axe, for example. Longsword ain't TOO slow, so it's my second.

As for the rest, that's how I feel about Great Jaggi and how I felt about that fucker Quarecopo. Vengeance is sweet.

Raide

I've actually found it fun to run into Great Jaggis now. The first time I saw one I peed myself and fainted pretty fast but now it's like an annoying gnat that goes down relatively quickly. I can't wait until I feel the same about this asshole bird (I refuse to use his real name).

As you weapon damage and element goes up, it gets easier to down those early monsters.

The devil bird hates water, so if you can gear up a water weapon, he gets easier and easier to kill. Also, his face is the major weak-point, so batter his ugly face as much as possible. :D In the end you will have a good collection of plenty of armor and plenty of elemental weapons. Swap and change as you need to just to make the fight go in your favor.

Haunted

Sometimes you think G-Rank monsters are pushovers, and then something like Brachy or Joe comes along to put you in your goddamn place.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
HR Gobul refuses to give me Lantern+ (giving me regular Lanterns instead), but somehow I've managed to obtain 7 Zinogre Jaspers in 12 fights with him. dat RNG

Two questions.

1. Does weapon sharpness affect damage output, or just the parts of the monster you are able to hit?

2. Does demon mode affect damage output, or just change the combos and let you dodge instead of roll?

losername

Banned
This is a relatively simple foe for most of you, I'm sure, but the pink Rathian is a freaking bully. The difficulty spiked something fierce as soon as high rank quests (punishments) became available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom