• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

Does the bow versions of armor sets look different from the melee versions? Don't have the mats or I'd check. I just know that I was dreading the Jaggi set again, because my first had a piece that made me look like a fat beetle or something and it looked awful. On my second set though I look completely fine.

Ken

Does the bow versions of armor sets look different from the melee versions? Don't have the mats or I'd check. I just know that I was dreading the Jaggi set again, because my first had a piece that made me look like a fat beetle or something and it looked awful. On my second set though I look completely fine.

Yes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Played the 3DS demo a few more times last night and am seriously thinking of grabbing this later today.

Does the full game also only give you a 20 minute time limit? I despise time limits in games and wasn't able to kill either monster in the 20 minute time limit. Is that a sign that I flat out suck and shouldn't bother?

I have the CPP and would imagine it's a godsend in this game. Is there a lock on button in this game? The demo doesn't mention the control layout.

Also, what's a good starting class?

ramyeon

Played the 3DS demo a few more times last night and am seriously thinking of grabbing this later today.

Does the full game also only give you a 20 minute time limit? I despise time limits in games and wasn't able to kill either monster in the 20 minute time limit. Is that a sign that I flat out suck and shouldn't bother?

I have the CPP and would imagine it's a godsend in this game. Is there a lock on button in this game? The demo doesn't mention the control layout.
Almost always 50 minutes, more than enough!

There is a lock on and L will refocus on the monster.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
You can check what an armor piece looks like by pressing X in the menu. Btw the both Jaggi set's helmet are wearable regardless of the weapon you use they differ by their armor rating and talent scores.

The time limit is 50 minutes with a few exceptions. Most of the time you'll wrap up quests in less than 20 and if its a hard slog of a fight, maybe 30-40. If you couldn't kill Lagombi in 20 minutes with the gear in the demo (you won't have gear that good when you first meet him) it just means you need to learn how and when to attack. Most of the weapons have combos and styles of attacking that you'll figure out or can be found out in tutorial videos (really should be in the game tbh). You should get the gist of it all by the time you hit the 2nd or 3rd big monster and when you reach Lagombi you'll destroy him.

Lock on requires you to add it to the lower screen. I think its in the camera panels. You add that and then tap it when you see a big monster. After that point, tap L and the camera focuses on the monster instead of centering on your back

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The time limit is 50 minutes with a few exceptions. Most of the time you'll wrap up quests in less than 20 and if its a hard slog of a fight, maybe 30-40. If you couldn't kill Lagombi in 20 minutes with the gear in the demo (you won't have gear that good when you first meet him) it just means you need to learn how and when to attack. Most of the weapons have combos and styles of attacking that you'll figure out or can be found out in tutorial videos (really should be in the game tbh). You should get the gist of it all by the time you hit the 2nd or 3rd big monster and when you reach Lagombi you'll destroy him.

Lock on requires you to add it to the lower screen. I think its in the camera panels. You add that and then tap it when you see a big monster. After that point, tap L and the camera focuses on the monster instead of centering on your back

Thanks. The demo doesn't give you any info.

Looks like I'm going to have to learn some combos as I was just mindlessly hitting the attack button.

beje

Banned
Thanks. The demo doesn't give you any info.

Looks like I'm going to have to learn some combos as I was just mindlessly hitting the attack button.

Read the manual included with the demo (accessible from the home menu). It explains controls and basic combos for all weapons.

Solune

also, the captain has been stuck in my town for like at least ten missions now with a departing date of 3 days, do the days only go down when you do a mission that is brand new?

i think you need to hunt brachydios so he can depart.

Have this problem, too. Hunted Brachydios like 5 times in the village and he does not move.
You need to do the urgent which is Zinogre.
Which HR is Brachydios anyway? I wanna start on getting a slime weapon but farming him solo would take 20-30m per run

HR3 or 8* Village Quests

Copenap

Got a Rimeblade and the Lagi Armor at level 5 now, feeling like I'm making progress but I still despise under water combat...

How do I get the double-bbq-spit.

Fistwell

Got a Rimeblade and the Lagi Armor at level 5 now, feeling like I'm making progress but I still despise under water combat...

How do I get the double-bbq-spit.
From the argosy captain, rare commodity trade (you get rare commodities by killing/capping monsters in free-hunt).

Oops, beaten.

I wish I had taken a screenshot, because my guy was seriously fat in Jaggi
Sounds like you were looking at rhenoplos.

Sanctuary

You can check what an armor piece looks like by pressing X in the menu. Btw the both Jaggi set's helmet are wearable regardless of the weapon you use they differ by their armor rating and talent scores.
Apparently I am just blind or something and forged the wrong waist. I had all Jaggi except with the Rhenlop coil. No idea why I did that, and the color matched, so I suppose that's what threw me off.

Neki

If I put down paralytic meat or poisoned meat, will monsters actually eat them while I'm fighting them, or will they only eat them if they haven't detected me? (or is this a case-by-case basis for each monster).

I've never tried it before, but I watched someone fighting a savage deviljho and it ate it and got paralyzed so I was wondering if I should start doing it

beje

Banned
I have trouble finding High Quality Pelts. The MH wiki tells that in MH3U they drop from Kelbis when body carved (as opposed to knockdown carved, which gives horns) but in the same page they say:

In MH3U, Player can no longer kill Kelbi, instead of dying, Kelbi will fall stunned and can be carved alive before standing up and fleeing when enough damage is done, regardless of the attack type.

So... how on earth? No matter how I attack them, they will always fall stunned and give me just horns.

Fistwell

So... how on earth? No matter how I attack them, they will always fall stunned.
Yes, just stun them, you don't have a choice. It'll drop eventually.

If I put down paralytic meat or poisoned meat, will monsters actually eat them while I'm fighting them, or will they only eat them if they haven't detected me? (or is this a case-by-case basis for each monster).

I've never tried it before, but I watched someone fighting a savage deviljho and it ate it and got paralyzed so I was wondering if I should start doing it
Depends on the monster. Herbivores like blos don't eat meat (ctrl+f "item effect", see meat). On the other hand, los will eat your meat but is a shy eater. Jho doesn't give a shit and will gobble all of it no matter.

Kaji

Any Aussies having trouble downloading the patch tonight, housemate and I both sitting at either preparing update or downloading update with no movement, so frustrating....

Copenap

They definitely eat it when they are exausted and drooling since I've done that once, even if you're still right in front of them. I don't know the exact requirement though.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Just a quick Question with some troubleshooting. I lost connection alltogether to the online last night, Has anyone else had issues. It was my first time online on MH3U and im having trouble with virgins rubbish super hub that is only 2 rooms away. Just trying to work out if its the internet or the game :/ anyone else in europe had issues??

Neki

I have trouble finding High Quality Pelts. The MH wiki tells that in MH3U they drop from Kelbis when body carved (as opposed to knockdown carved, which gives horns) but in the same page they say:

So... how on earth? No matter how I attack them, they will always fall stunned and give me just horns.

I was getting my high quality pelts from those antekas in the tundra in HR. (was doing that anteka antler's quest)

Mupod

They definitely eat it when they are exausted and drooling since I've done that once, even if you're still right in front of them. I don't know the exact requirement though.

Only certain monsters will go for meat. Deviljho is the only one most people ever bother bringing that stuff to, but I think Great Jaggi and Arzuros will fall for it too. And of course they won't touch it if they aren't drooling.

Things like Rathalos are too smart and will never eat anything hunters put down. Some monsters don't eat meat to begin with, like Diablos and Uragaan. I don't think Royal Ludroth even has an eating animation since his stamina regain method is to get water on his sponge.

Arveene

Neo Member

While it will show the stunned animation, you'll actually get the body carve table.

Shoyz

Felt like all of the early-game bosses died earlier than usual in U.

Except for Gigginox, who continues to be absolutely insufferable. So hard to resist ragequitting against it..
Stall boss that constantly runs away, head that weapon bounces off of, can never get out of it's poison slam range. Bleeds me until I lose. :(
Can't wait to beat it and never fight it again.

beje

Banned
While it will show the stunned animation, you'll actually get the body carve table.

Yep, it works now. The game was actually trolling me. Killed like a couple dozens of them before and ONLY got horns.

Edit: maybe it was because I was using a hammer, which actually stunned them so the body carve table did not activate at all...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I thought so, but when I went to talk to the farmer there doesn't seem to be any dialogue for it.

What do I have to do to initiate the next set?

Antiwhippy

The one behind the waterfall? I did, but it just says that it looks mysterious.

I dunno. I'll check back against once I've killed lagombi.

Mupod

Why waste time learning how to play longsword in groups? Just play with me, I'll use my knockback prevention song, and you can mash your R button until it falls off with no ill effects to the party.

Seriously though I planned on using the Stygian Tristitia before I even got this game solely based on looks and sounds. Turns out it has an amazing all-purpose song set.

Here's how my Lucent Narga fights have been going -

Attack up large
Knockback prevention
Self buff

And then constantly get under him and use the melody duration extension for both damage and to keep your songs up. Due to his weak point and behaviour the HH is quite effective at damaging him as long as you don't actually try to KO him. Since you're basically trapped in a cage match with him, other HHs would have trouble rebuffing safely without being whacked by tail spikes.

I also made the Apocalypso (Miralis horn), which has some godlike songs as well as looking amazing. HGE + windproof, element attack up, AND blightproof. Self buffed with fire atk+1 I had 790 fire damage. Natural purple sharpness too so I can wear full Narga X for maximum defensive capacity along with Sneak to play my songs safely.

Airan

Only certain monsters will go for meat. Deviljho is the only one most people ever bother bringing that stuff to, but I think Great Jaggi and Arzuros will fall for it too. And of course they won't touch it if they aren't drooling.

Things like Rathalos are too smart and will never eat anything hunters put down. Some monsters don't eat meat to begin with, like Diablos and Uragaan. I don't think Royal Ludroth even has an eating animation since his stamina regain method is to get water on his sponge.

If it's anything like the old MHs, the smarter monsters will only eat meat if they don't detect you. I remember watching a MH1 video where this lone hunter basically uses sleep and poison meats to slowly kill a rathalos, while employing smoke bombs to evade detection, finally blowing him up with some barrel bombs. It was pretty cool to watch.

Mupod

If it's anything like the old MHs, the smarter monsters will only eat meat if they don't detect you. I remember watching a MH1 video where this lone hunter basically uses sleep and poison meats to slowly kill a rathalos, while employing smoke bombs to evade detection, finally blowing him up with some barrel bombs. It was pretty cool to watch.

Yeah I was gonna edit my post to say 'don't eat things they SEE hunters put down' but I noticed Festwill kinda covered it earlier in the thread.

In practice it's really not worth even trying. Most of the time he just flies off right before he starts drooling.

I'd like to see that video myself since it sounds pretty cool. Smoke bombs are actually pretty useful when you remember they exist, I've started bringing them so I can safely use my HH buffs when people are convening at the monster.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Having to go in the menu EVERY TIME you start the game to switch to Type 2 is bullshit. That along with the text being so small makes off-TV play a disappointment.

Well it's my first MH game, and I'm now 8hours into the Wii-U version. Just clearing the 2* quests now and got down my first big monster last night - a great Jaggi.

Really really enjoying the game - i think I'll have to get the game and a circle pad for my XL, can't really be bothered lugging my wii upstairs every time I want to play in bed/on the sh1tter.

DB

Antiwhippy

Yeah, checking the statue behind the waterfall at the farm just gives me "what a mysterious statue".

What do I do to even advance to the next set of quests?

beje

Banned
Yeah, checking the statue behind the waterfall at the farm just gives me "what a mysterious statue".

What do I do to even advance to the next set of quests?

Have you actually found all the materials needed and gave them to Junior in the "village requests" menu? If you already have the mask, you must equip either Cha Cha or Kayamba with it and bring both along. Also, check the village requests once again because you also need to gather materials to create a new camp.

Antiwhippy

Have you actually found all the materials needed and gave them to Junior in the "village requests" menu? If you already have the mask, you must equip either Cha Cha or Kayamba with it and bring both along. Also, check the village requests once again because you also need to gather materials to create a new camp.

Ah, haven't actually thought to check the village requests. Should have known.

What is up with being able to break monster parts in the first 5-10 minutes of HR quests but the fight goes on for another 20-30 minutes? It's driving me insane. I guess I need to upgrade my weapons?

Also, I hate Volvidon.

DaBoss

When do you get Speedy Recovery?

Also, if you just want to know whether the demo is literally representative of the final game, you know the answer is "no". Why ask?!

Speedy Recovery is unlocked when you beat Ceadeus.

I just want to know how newcomers felt about the demo being representative of the final game.

Any Aussies having trouble downloading the patch tonight, housemate and I both sitting at either preparing update or downloading update with no movement, so frustrating....

Well ramyeon is from Australia and had no issue downloading it the moment it was available.

What is up with being able to break monster parts in the first 5-10 minutes of HR quests but the fight goes on for another 20-30 minutes? It's driving me insane. I guess I need to upgrade my weapons?

Also, I hate Volvidon.

Probably. Though it is normal for HR quests to take a lot longer than LR quests at the beginning.

Manbig

Quick question. I gave regular Bow a shot and wasn't really feeling it over Heavy Crossbow. I seemed to just get way less damage with it.

What are the advantages (if any) with regular Bow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom