• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Ran Azure Rathalos a bunch of times and have finally put together my Soul set. Like it significantly more than my High Rank Rath set. I know that critical eye is supposedly worse than Attack Up (L), but that built in Ear Plugs Level 1 is great. Got it gemed up to Critical +3, got rid of the health penalty and have a Talisman that automatically gives me Defense Up (S). Plus, it looks better than the original rath set. That blue. Think I'm going to run this up until G rank and focus on new weapons through the rest of high.

After fighting A. Rathalos so much, have to say. I don't like that fight very much. One of the more boring subspecies. He doesn't feel that different. Sure, he's a bit faster and he hits harder but that's about it. I just feel like I'm fighting a slightly higher rank rath. He looks stunning, but as a fight he's not great.

Ran Azure Rathalos a bunch of times and have finally put together my Soul set. Like it significantly more than my High Rank Rath set. I know that critical eye is supposedly worse than Attack Up (L), but that built in Ear Plugs Level 1 is great. Got it gemed up to Critical +3, got rid of the health penalty and have a Talisman that automatically gives me Defense Up (S). Plus, it looks better than the original rath set. That blue. Think I'm going to run this up until G rank and focus on new weapons through the rest of high.

After fighting A. Rathalos so much, have to say. I don't like that fight very much. One of the more boring subspecies. He doesn't feel that different. Sure, he's a bit faster and he hits harder but that's about it. I just feel like I'm fighting a slightly higher rank rath. He looks stunning, but as a fight he's not great.

Pretty sure Soul armor is built for Hidden Saber. So cool with the extra sharpness and affinity.

yami4ct

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54221466]Pretty sure Soul armor is built for Hidden Saber. So cool with the extra sharpness and affinity.[/QUOTE]

That's the Nargacuga one, right? Pretty sure I've crafted that but never used it. Might need to get on that.

Pastry

Banned
So uhh this is probably a really stupid question. I just accepted my first guild quest (collect some mushrooms) but I can't leave to the Moga woods. There is a little green box above my head but it won't let me exit the village. If I cancel the quest at the guild lady I can exit to the woods but not with the quest active. How do I get out to do the quest?

yami4ct

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54221832]Yup. It transforms![/QUOTE]

Wait........really? Like in/out of sheath or as it levels up spirt levels? If true, I may never stop using that sword haha.

hunnies28

So uhh this is probably a really stupid question. I just accepted my first guild quest (collect some mushrooms) but I can't leave to the Moga woods. There is a little green box above my head but it won't let me exit the village. If I cancel the quest at the guild lady I can exit to the woods but not with the quest active. How do I get out to do the quest?

When you take on quests, instead of heading to Moga Woods, head to the dock/pier thats right beside the Guild desk.

I really want to try out the Destroyer skill. So I decided I'm going to farm Ceadeus until I can make at least 2 parts of the armor set for 5 points. Then I can add Destroyer decorations to finish up.

Are Luminous Organs difficult to get?

I really want to try out the Destroyer skill. So I decided I'm going to farm Ceadeus until I can make at least 2 parts of the armor set for 5 points. Then I can add Destroyer decorations to finish up.

Not really. They come pretty naturally as you pray for the rarer drops.

Destroyer is only really worth it when playing multi monster quests where lowered health means you might not break everything you would like before they are dead, or if a team sucks and no one is going for anything, which is rare.

I just finished my destroyer / punish draw set tonight for just such occasions.

yami4ct

Haha thanks... feel like an idiot but I was totally confused.

Seriously took me a good 5 minutes to figure out the first time. Felt like a massive idiot.

Wiki says you have a 15% chance with each of the 6 body carves and each part break gives you another 15% to get it in the quest rewards. Sounds like you should be able to get two in like 1 or 2 rounds.

vareon

Haha thanks... feel like an idiot but I was totally confused.

I did the same back then. The village quest is pretty annoying when you forgot to change equipment of bring an item because you need to cancel it before going back to the house and access the item box.

JoeFu

Banned
This game........ I put almost 10 hours into it today. Its gonna be the end of me.

Once again thanks the the awesome people who helped me get new gear today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yami4ct

This game........ I put almost 10 hours into it today. Its gonna be the end of me.

Once again thanks the the awesome people who helped me get new gear today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got really sad when I found out I've put 90 hours into it already since I got it launch week. There were definitely a couple good 10+ hour days at first. I managed to break myself of that awfulness, but this game does have hooks.

hunnies28

I know, I haven't played any other game since launch day. I mean this and I still haven't gone online once I do I'll be lost forever.

ramyeon

Haha that was me yesterday, it was good hunting man. Glad you got your Giggi threads at the end of the day. Not sure if the other 2 in the room were Gaffers or not but they were great sports as well!

burgerdog

Ffffffffffff I got killed by Alos just as he was about to die in mark of a hero. I can't believe that Ivory has full hp, I was expecting 1/3 HP for all three. NOPE! It seems to be full HP followed by 1/2 HP on Alos and Dios.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
When Diablos burrows, use a Sonic Bomb to bring it out all flustered and stuck half-way to the ground. This allows you to get a few combos in. Also, SBs only work when it's not in rage mode.

Alright, awesome. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to farm him.

Does his stuff only yield a heavy bow gun and bow?

Ok so does having more than 10 sharpness points do anything? Or is Razor Sharp the best I can get?

Right now I have 10 slots, need 4 for 5 hearing to get HG Earplugs and 1 to get rid of negative health.

That leaves me with two single slots and one triple shot. I figure that can get me ten points of a lot of skills, what should I get? I'm a long sword/sns user.

I'll have:

Razor Sharp
HG Earplugs
Critical Eye +2

I'm not holding out on a 3-slot handicraft talisman.

Lagiacrus Z set with the matching Hammer:

Ivory1.png

Ivory2.png

Attack Up (L)
Guts
Blightproof
Partbreaker
Speed Sharpening

Lizardus

Got to HR3 in online. Rocked the two barroth quest with a friend (volvidon armour with AUL, evasion+1 and tremor res and ML001:baltzengar)

How do I go about fighting Arzuros+? I need his parts to upgrade the SA. Is he offline only?

Ken

Oh wow. Lagi Z helmet such a downgrade from Lagi.

Also re-using the same armor model for X,Z, and Nether is kind of lame.

Pineconn

Last night I completed about 15 quests with the same hammer user. Homie managed to get a whopping ZERO goddamn KOs. Usually aimed for the legs with the spin attack. The most unfortunate part is that this was in G Rank, lol.

I guess noobs can level up, huh?

Liethe

Last night I completed about 15 quests with the same hammer user. Homie managed to get a whopping ZERO goddamn KOs. Usually aimed for the legs with the spin attack. The most unfortunate part is that this was in G Rank, lol.

You were helping him level up. How does this make you feel?

Yesterday was hunting with my buddy as usual, and we decide to do a couple Zinogres. Got a Skymerald from a shiny drop. Two quests in a row. >> Both from shiny. Felt a bit unreal, but sure enough they're in my box. My buddy has one so far. This game works in mysterious ways.

Solune

It depends on the monster but yah... if you're a hammer user and you're not going for the head, you're just doing it wrong.

There's a wiki? Can you post a link please? Sometimes I'm so confused as to which items do something and which don't.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3_Ultimate

Be warned that some of the information is not complete.
Got to HR3 in online. Rocked the two barroth quest with a friend (volvidon armour with AUL, evasion+1 and tremor res and ML001:baltzengar)

How do I go about fighting Arzuros+? I need his parts to upgrade the SA. Is he offline only?

There is no High Rank Arzuros quest for Tanzia Port / Online. So if you will have to do the 6* Village Quest if you want to hunt Arzuros+.

ace3skoot

so guys time to fess up and post your hours played and total progress to date.

for reference I'm a vet who has been playing since the original MH on PS2 on which i soloed all of the offline content (i never had internet back in the ps2 days) and have played every major game sinse them with the exception of P3rd as it was never released in europe.

I've done 135 hours 22 minutes

3DS version, mostly solo, and when i have played in groups i have mostly been helping other people level up who are behind me.

I'm HR7 just beat dual dios urgent quest, which was a fucking pain

currently running nibblesnarf x gear

I have:
6x GS
2x LS
3x sns
2x DS
5x Hammers
3x HH
5x Lances

I'm a multi-classer as you can tell :)

i think i took quite along time to get where i am but i love having tons of good weapons from different classes, so i do alot of farming and the desire sencing god hates me :O id be interested how i compare to other people stats.

I have found the game shockingly easy so far, but am having more fun at G-Rank now thing have a little bite.

Am I missing something or does the wroggi set not have a helm?

if you don't have the key item for that armor piece it won't appear in the armor smith, just keep farming him it will appear eventually, are your breaking his mane?

ramyeon

This is my first Monster Hunter ever, although I feel like I've picked it up really quickly and quite naturally. I had a real sense of progression at first and felt like I was actually getting better and not just relying on armour and weapons, which was nice.

Currently at 115 hours or around that mark. Solo'd my way up until high rank in the village and then started online. I'm now at HR7 and rocking an upgraded Helios Z set (Up until I need Tru spheres) and a Great Inceadeus Switch Axe. Been using the Switch Axe since I started and have no intention on stopping any time soon, loving this weapon.

ace3skoot

This is my first Monster Hunter ever, although I feel like I've picked it up really quickly and quite naturally. I had a real sense of progression at first and felt like I was actually getting better and not just relying on armour and weapons, which was nice.

Currently at 115 hours or around that mark. Solo'd my way up until high rank in the village and then started online. I'm now at HR7 and rocking an upgraded Helios Z set (Up until I need Tru spheres) and a Great Inceadeus Switch Axe. Been using the Switch Axe since I started and have no intention on stopping any time soon, loving this weapon.

cool :) considering you have been using a single class, that makes me feel better about my hour count, though i am a vet lol tru spheres are throwing themselves at me now i am farming gathering in the volcano sometimes get 4 in a run.

First MH for me too, currently at 135 hours.
I just beat Jhen Mohran in solo and am at 8* in multi.
Used Dual Blades almost exclusively.
Playing the 3DS version, still feel like I'm missing out on a lot without online.
G-Rank [Advanced] quests are fun!!

so guys time to fess up and post your hours played and total progress to date.

for reference I'm a vet who has been playing since the original MH on PS2 on which i soloed all of the offline content (i never had internet back in the ps2 days) and have played every major game sinse them with the exception of P3rd as it was never released in europe.

I've done 135 hours 22 minutes

3DS version, mostly solo, and when i have played in groups i have mostly been helping other people level up who are behind me.

I'm HR7 just beat dual dios urgent quest, which was a fucking pain

currently running nibblesnarf x gear

I have:
6x GS
2x LS
3x sns
2x DS
5x Hammers
3x HH
5x Lances

I'm a multi-classer as you can tell :)

i think i took quite along time to get where i am but i love having tons of good weapons from different classes, so i do alot of farming and the desire sencing god hates me :O id be interested how i compare to other people stats.

I have found the game shockingly easy so far, but am having more fun at G-Rank now thing have a little bite.

if you don't have the key item for that armor piece it won't appear in the armor smith, just keep farming him it will appear eventually, are your breaking his mane?

This is my first Monster Hunter title and I'm about 70 hours in. LR5 (I'm going really slowly, apparently xP) and I've been switching between Dual Blades, Sword and Shield, and Switch Axe, though I've been experimenting with the Hammer, as well.

Haven't used anything other than the Wroggi set for a while now, partly because I love the way it looks and partly because I've been farming Rathian for HER set for a while.

3DS version, all solo, though I did have my first online experience with a buddy of mine in Germany yesterday. Yay for non-region locked online play!

I'm pretty addicted, tbh. I do believe this series has a new fan.

Fewr

My roommate wants to play, as he believes he'd have "beaten the game already." Lol.

...He has a file now, but I'm still gonna be playing a lot.
Haha, please post his progress tihrough the game. At least the moment where he realizes how long it takes to get to beat everything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
nothing is 100% in this game

even trying to get into network mode is a toin coss

Sigh, I really wish breaking and cutting at least guaranteed you that part. Why deprive a player something he's been working for through chance? It's not as if breaking is some super easy thing that you do by luck.

ramyeon

Sigh, I really wish breaking and cutting at least guaranteed you that part. Why deprive a player something he's been working for through chance? It's not as if breaking is some super easy thing that you do by luck.
Breaking is really easy, especially the G.Wroggi's poison sac, you'll get the hang of it. And 50% is almost as good as guaranteed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Vet with about 100 hours in this version. Nothing compared to what I had in the PSP versions.

Most comfortable with hammer but the bow guns seem more useful in this iteration so I've been rocking a few of those as well. Bow...still can't get used to.

I see most experts use GS and time those lvl 3 attacks but even after this many hours I can't do the same.

Still hilarious seeing a one hit kill on a sleeping monster. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom