• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

so guys time to fess up and post your hours played and total progress to date.
About 220hrs, maybe 3 or 4 nice LS (brachy, miralis, ...), one decent GS (epitaph). Only 2 complete G rank sets (nargaX, barriZ), several partial ones (seleneZ, silver los). Did all offline quests, HR50-ish online.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Breaking is really easy, especially the G.Wroggi's poison sac, you'll get the hang of it. And 50% is almost as good as guaranteed.

I meant with some monsters like lagiacrus or diablos, though lagia got pretty easy once you get used to it. Especially monsters with multiple parts to break.

It's not super difficult to break stuff once you learn their patterns and focus on it, but I feel like once you do it you should at least be rewarded by it.

Solune

Sigh, I really wish breaking and cutting at least guaranteed you that part. Why deprive a player something he's been working for through chance? It's not as if breaking is some super easy thing that you do by luck.

You will know the pain of hunting for Rubies and Sapphires soon... Very soon.

Ken

260 hours, played 100+ hours of Tri. Took a break this week. Finished up G-rank and the only thing I really want now is Escadora X so that's down to waiting for them to put that quest up.

I have a couple of finished G Rank sets (Selene, Narga, Giggi X gun and blade, Diablos X, Rath Soul Z, S Uruugan Z) and a few maxed weapons (Nether LBG, Nether Lance, Barioth Lance, Brachy GS, Giggi HH, God's Archi). I miggggght farm for a Rathian Mantle so I can make Empress Garden and do a normal up/ATP Miralis set. Or do something dumb with Long Swords I don't know.

I think one thing that's putting me off from collecting all the armor sets is that I dislike the way the majority of female armor look.

Fistwell

I think one thing that's putting me off from collecting all the armor sets is that I dislike the way the majority of female armor look.
I wish they'd stop putting fluffy skirts (ala ian or damascus) on seemingly every other set... don't get me started on brachy set.... (knife-skirt??? how does she even sit wearing that???). The fat, ass-less chaps on narga sets are... unfortunate. Why did they have to recycle those for the vangisX set???

ace3skoot

Dat Brachy rage-mode.

yeah the g-rank one in rage can easily 2 hit kill you if you armor is not up to standard, and if you find you covered in slime an an attack hits, its lights out in a single hit :p

still at least he isn't a pushover like so much of the game =)

Ken

I wish they'd stop putting fluffy skirts (ala ian or damascus) on seemingly every other set... don't get me started on brachy set.... (knife-skirt??? how does she even sit wearing that???). The fat, ass-less chaps on narga sets are... unfortunate. Why did they have to recycle those for the vangisX set???

Female Brachy gunner helmet. What is that abomination.

Dat Brachy rage-mode.

It was strange. Almost full health then I took the explosive headbutt and I was out cold. Second time I was on around 40% and took the flame trail from that same attack. Must have been hit by the very tip since there wasn't any fire underneath me. A great shame followed

Before that point, he never carted me once lol

Antiwhippy

Alright, I'll try for a nibelsnarf. Working to completing my duramboros gunner armour for now.

What does the s or x signify.

DaBoss

Alright, I'll try for a nibelsnarf. Working to completing my duramboros gunner armour for now.

What does the s or x signify.

S and U are for signifying that it is High-Rank armor. X and Z are for signifying that it is G-Rank armor.

S is for the normal monster, while U is for the subspecies of the monster.

X is for the normal monster, while Z is for the subspecies of the monster.

Antiwhippy

Ah, guess I'm won't be able to get to that anytime soon. Still HR 2, though it hasn't been hard as much as it is just time consuming.

Mupod

so guys time to fess up and post your hours played and total progress to date.

Just hit 200 hours in MH3U last night. Been playing since MHF2, but never touched multiplayer until Tri. Got a Wii U just for this but I was stuck on the 3DS version for the first week due to not being home. Used that time to clear village before really starting online.

I've been maining hunting horns, traditionally I've focused on hammers but in MHFU I used almost every weapon situationally. I just got lazy after that.

Now that I'm G-rank I'm free to make various weapon types and armor sets. I (usually) don't make full sets - instead I try to identify which specific pieces of armor are particuarly excellent and make those, then figure out powerful mismatched sets. It's especially interesting in this game because armor pieces will randomly have things like handicraft and crit draw on them.

I used this philosophy when making my new gunner set, Dober chest has some interesting effects when combined with torso up. Managed to cobble together a set with evade extender, evade+1, reload speed+1, sneak, and peak performance. Should be good for HBG-ing g-rank, I'm super rusty with HBG so I need some defensive crutches.

My primary weapons at the moment:

Grongigas hammer
Stygian Tristitia
Apocalypso
and the Lucent Narga HBG as my latest addition. Might make a Hallowed Dracannon or Ceadeus gun too, I'm not sure what exactly I want out of an HBG. The fully upgraded Rathian gun looks awesome too.

I also have countless parts from random monsters because of just fighting stuff with GAF aimlessly. This actually suits my playstyle because I never know what I want until I decide I want it, and it throws off the desire sensor. I have two rathalos mantles that I'm sure I'll use someday but right now they are just sitting there.

I still want a Crit Draw set but I need another diablos hardhorn and the Jho sword. So...well, it'll happen eventually.

Solune

S is the high rank version. U is the subspecies. X indicates G rank. Z indicates G rank subspecies. Certain armors don't apply like Helios / Selene since those armors don't have G rank versions.

Edit: beatennnn

Ken

S is the high rank version. U is the subspecies. X indicates G rank. Z indicates G rank subspecies. Certain armors don't apply like Helios / Selene since those armors don't have G rank versions.

It does apply to Helios/Selene.

ramyeon

It was strange. Almost full health then I took the explosive headbutt and I was out cold. Second time I was on around 40% and took the flame trail from that same attack. Must have been hit by the very tip since there wasn't any fire underneath me. A great shame followed

Before that point, he never carted me once lol
Harsh, man. Brach's rage mode is pretty unforgiving, especially when you get to G rank since he likes to combo a lot more. I've been covered and slime and then hit with an explosive pound that 1 hits me pretty much :/
Solune said:

Huh?

Dragoshi1

Did the Dark Sword DLC quest with a brother, and damn, nothing stood a chance.

We also did the Challenge quest against Brachy, he died way too easily, are arena monsters nerfed?

Wait... Brady guide says the only way to get a Lrg Wyvern Stone is by killing G Rank Royal Ludroth in Free Hunt... and it's only 4% chance. what.
Hmm, according to the dex app... It's a G-Rank drop from a ton of monsters, with the most common methods being Capture or Break [x] Part. The largest chances are:

5%
Black Diablos - Tail Carve
Sand Barioth - Tail Carve
Green Plesioth - Body Carve

Geez, HR5 seems kind of pointless. After I unlocked HR4 I farmed Brachy until I had his armor set + a slime weapon, then I joined a group that coasted through the HR4 quests (everyone was HR4 with comparable gear to mine). Then we coasted through HR5 as well. I went from HR3 to HR6 in the same day. dafuq, Capcom?

DaBoss

Geez, HR5 seems kind of pointless. After I unlocked HR4 I farmed Brachy until I had his armor set + a slim weapon, then I joined a group that coasted through the HR4 quests (everyone was HR4 with comparable gear to mine). Then we coasted through HR5 as well. I went from HR3 to HR6 in the same day. dafuq, Capcom?

You're doing it wrong because you're using a Slime weapon. :p

ramyeon

Geez, HR5 seems kind of pointless. After I unlocked HR4 I farmed Brachy until I had his armor set + a slim weapon, then I joined a group that coasted through the HR4 quests (everyone was HR4 with comparable gear to mine). Then we coasted through HR5 as well. I went from HR3 to HR6 in the same day. dafuq, Capcom?
HR3-6 are all in the same bracket of difficulty, that's why you can do any quest within that range even if you're not the proper HR. That and slime weapons are kinda OP.

Fistwell

Hmm, according to the dex app... It's a G-Rank drop from a ton of monsters, with the most common methods being Capture or Break [x] Part. The largest chances are:

5%
I've been getting those from all over the place, they don't particularly feel rare.

Cripes, why didn't you guys tell me the Wroggis in G-Rank are all methed up?
Not anymore so than G jaggis!

Mondriaan

This is pissing me off too. The western hut in high/G rank apparently has throwing knives in a box after you blow it up. But all I get are paintballs and the occasional ration.
IIRC the supply box starts you off with 5 throwing knives in the low rank village rathian hunt quest.

ace3skoot

so i have never really botherd with the fishing fleet and all that, but now i need some items that can only be obtained that way :p so how do i unlock the later fishing destinations? specifically need the Pirate's Tomb one for a chance of long fragments

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

5%

Thanks. 5% is rough. :(

Hoodbury

I just passed the 100 hour mark last night. I seem to be stuck on HR7. Keep joining rooms for HR7 but doing the same quests over and over so I haven't progressed what I need in awhile. I feel like when I do get past HR 8 I'll jump to like HR 50 or something high, lol.

I've only used the GS so far but eventually I'll get some Hammer sets going and switch between those two.

Currently I'm sporting a Dioblos X and CaedusX/Z mixed set that gives me:
HG Earplugs
Sharpness +1
Focus
Crit Draw

It's a pretty good set, but I might try to make one that switches out Focus and drop down to just regular earplugs to get AUL if that's possible.

I'm at G-Rank now, and I feel silly but I just tried using Dash Juice last night for the first time. Holy crap what a difference it makes with Bows. No more emergency situations where I can't roll, no more having to pause my attack at the most opportune times to refill. I can finish most fights only having to use 2-3 of them.

Now I want to stockpile the stuff. Mega Dash Juice looks too time consuming to make, having to farm R.Ludroth, especially when my farm can make hundreds of Bitter Bugs and Honey. The only bottleneck is Raw Meat which I don't have a good way of getting other than killing/carving which takes a while.

Mupod

I just passed the 100 hour mark last night. I seem to be stuck on HR7. Keep joining rooms for HR7 but doing the same quests over and over so I haven't progressed what I need in awhile. I feel like when I do get past HR 8 I'll jump to like HR 50 or something high, lol.

I've only used the GS so far but eventually I'll get some Hammer sets going and switch between those two.

Currently I'm sporting a Dioblos X and CaedusX/Z mixed set that gives me:
HG Earplugs
Sharpness +1
Focus
Crit Draw

It's a pretty good set, but I might try to make one that switches out Focus and drop down to just regular earplugs to get AUL if that's possible.

I jumped to HR44 when I did it. But yeah we've already gotten a truckload of the GAF HR7 scrublords past Dire Miralis so if you're around tonight we can get your keys/urgent done.

I really wanna try out this new HBG set, nobody was on last night when I finished it. I will probably maybe not get one shotted repeatedly.

Sanctuary

So, I just killed Lagiacrus for the first time on my second character. He died against a wall, and the game won't let me carve him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom