• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

GAF PLEASE HELP

Please.

Please tell me the website where I can look up the items and where they drop, THAT WORKS ON THE iPAD, and has the new shit from MH3U/MH3G.

mh3u.stilltruth doesn't have anything that's not in Tri, which is basically every single thing I need to look up.

The Monster Hunter wikia is coded like shit and works jankily on the iPad. Also doesn't have everything.

There HAS to be a website that I can find this shit. I find it ridiculous that there isn't a simple mobile app to download. I'd pay like $10 for it. Please don't refer me to the stupid Windows program, I use OS X and am not interested in going to my computer for this anyway. The whole point is to look it up from the couch while I'm playing.

P.S. Whatever the website is, it should be featured in the OP in giant fucking letters with flashing seizure GIF's.
http://kiranico.com/

You're welcome.

Manbig

You don't have to pay super-careful attention to an ammo counter since running out of coatings won't lock up your hunter as badly as trying to fire an unloaded bowgun.

You also get element attacks pretty much for free. Bowguns require element based ammo, which can be expensive.

You also have a (lol-tastic) cutting attack that can in theory cut tails.

Mobility and I think status attacks are better with a bow.

Talk to Junior.

With the Bow it's pretty much mobility and taking your shots at the opportune time. Think of it this way, with a bowgun you're pretty much trying to pump as many shots as you can, whenever you can, because anything else slows you down. With the bow, you more or less store up shots, then release them all at once, running around and avoiding the monster up until the release. That is, honestly, the biggest difference between the two. At least from a philosophy standpoint, you'll find bows that change this up frequently.

And yeah status attacks are 100% better, mainly because towards the end you start having bows with almost or all of the status attacks available, and you start being like "Okay monster go to sleep. Now be paralyzed. I think you look good in poison! Man calm down and eat some exhaust shot."
It's also a LOT less dependent on ammo for surviving. With a bowgun, not having ammo means basically you're just plain screwed, since Normal S1 is laughably bad. With a bow the only damage boost you ever even half depend on is Power Coating, which is +50% attack, but when it runs out you can still deal enough damage to not cry yourself in a corner.

A bowgun's main advantage, IMO, is when you get one that has multiple elemental shots available, or get some good charms that you can just recharm/regem to add an elemental shot to exploit weaknesses. If you have the ammo/gun to support it, it's capable of being a specialized generalist... but finding the right bowgun can be a PITA.

SOURCE: Playing Bow nigh exclusively for 100+ hours so far.
EDIT: Not having to reload every 4 shots is nice too. With bows you reload once, and until you swap ammo you're good till you run out. Although Reload Speed 2 actually removes reloading altogether for bows, a convenience that bowguns can't get, and IMO is a game changer. Makes Close Range not useless!

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably give it another shot and see if I can get the hang of it.

L Thammy

Village Jhen destroyed my sandship in the last five minutes of the quest. Plus, the cannonballs and ballista ammo seemed to have run out by then, so I had to run up and attack him. I can't drive him away from the ship. Am I doing something wrong?

Beat Baleful 'Nox today. Took 40 minutes and 45 seconds, sigh. Gonna do triple Gigginox now so I can upgrade my Black Coffin. Thank goodness for Wroggi armour.

I did all of that last night. Triple Gigginox is a fun quest when you don't use Wroggi armour. Gigginox+Baleful not so much.

Funny thing, Kayanba killed a Gigginox by hitting it with a boomerang while it was on the roof.

People have survived hundreds of hours with the claw method on the PSP...people will survive with the virtual d pad on the 3DS.

this is going to sound fucking crazy i know but i prefer the claw (or at least, a modified PSP GO semi-claw) to the virtual dpad. controller shell is miles above either, of course.

I read that Plesioth aka Hip-Check is up in VQ6 urgent.

I recall having a torrid time fighting Plesioth with Hammer back in MHFU...so much so that I purposely made a piercing bow to kill Plesioth and Lavasioth. However, I don't feel like farming for a set of gunner armor and a bow just for Plesioth.

Any tips on hammering Plesioth?

this is going to sound fucking crazy i know but i prefer the claw (or at least, a modified PSP GO semi-claw) to the virtual dpad. controller shell is miles above either, of course.

No, it doesn't sound crazy. I miss the claw method as well.

People have survived hundreds of hours with the claw method on the PSP...people will survive with the virtual d pad on the 3DS.
The difference is that clawing offered a greater advantage: being able to move the camera while doing actions. For example, you can pan the camera around to watch out for both monsters while deciding which directions to roll.

CCP accomplishes the same thing without the hurt.

Mupod

I read that Plesioth aka Hip-Check is up in VQ6 urgent.

I recall having a torrid time fighting Plesioth with Hammer back in MHFU...so much so that I purposely made a piercing bow to kill Plesioth and Lavasioth. However, I don't feel like farming for a set of gunner armor and a bow just for Plesioth.

Any tips on hammering Plesioth?

He's pretty easy now. His head actually takes impact damage in MH3U and his hitboxes aren't absurd anymore.

Pierce HBG still does horrible things to him though.

L Thammy

So what's the difference between piercing and impact stat wise or is it just a specific monster thing?

Do you mean damage types? There's cutting damage and impact damage. Both have different weakness points on a monster. Piercing uses whichever is better. So, if the head is weaker to impact to cutting, it'll use the impact.

Anyone wanna play with me? Still HR1, but I have the Urgent Quest for HR2 - been going through village quests recently. Purple Ludroth is no goddamn joke.

...Actually he is, but the poison's holding me back. Anyways, anyone wanna play?

L Thammy

No idea to be honest.

Anyone wanna play with me? Still HR1, but I have the Urgent Quest for HR2 - been going through village quests recently. Purple Ludroth is no goddamn joke.

...Actually he is, but the poison's holding me back. Anyways, anyone wanna play?

If you still need help (and there's no restrictions on the urgent) throw up a room. I'll have to leave afterward though.

JoeFu

Banned
Brachydios capped like 8 times... No gems

I'd like to help!

Triple carted to second Nox because I ran out of Potions.. I wasn't prepared. I could hear it limping away off screen too :( At least I got a Fearsome Maw.

Ultratech

Beat Baleful 'Nox today. Took 40 minutes and 45 seconds, sigh. Gonna do triple Gigginox now so I can upgrade my Black Coffin. Thank goodness for Wroggi armour.

Yeah, I did G-Rank B. Giggi today hoping to get a Talon for my Para SnS.

Unfortuately, I d/c'd, so my 4-man group fell to only me. So I ended up having to solo the damn thing. Managed about 20 minutes. Good thing I brought a trap.

Also got my Para SnS upgraded. Hate that the final upgrade for it requires a damn Brachy Pallium for god knows what reason.

Think I may go after making Gigginox Armor X, so I can utilize Awaken and the Status Atk stuff.

Ridley327

Thanks for all the Jhen hunts tonight, GAF and others; that armor set you make is even better than the Diablos X set for GS. I've got Focus, CritDraw, Mind's Eye, Unshakeable, and Sheathing all active now, and it's a beautiful goddamn thing.

Ridley327

Also, I would like to point out that the Great Kelbi Bow utterly wrecks Jhen in ways that should be illegal. Slime that fast and constant is just broken.

Mileena

Banned
Thanks for all the Jhen hunts tonight, GAF and others; that armor set you make is even better than the Diablos X set for GS. I've got Focus, CritDraw, Mind's Eye, Unshakeable, and Sheathing all active now, and it's a beautiful goddamn thing.

short 1 allbrace from the whole set :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Three HR Rathian tails so far and no Ian Plate. DESIRE SENSOR
LLShC.gif

That's awesome. I'm trying to farm Jhen now to make the set.

burgerdog

What talisman are you using for that?

JoeFu

Banned
Well that was fun ramyeon and toasty! Awesome hunting with you guys. And rudeboy if he's a gaffer as well! I think I DC'd right at the end after we killed that terrible boss, but I got to save!

Just a heads up, I'm renting the Wii U version of this game, while borrowing my brother's system. If everything works out after my classes, I'll see you all online (tonight or Saturday).

Well that was fun ramyeon and toasty! Awesome hunting with you guys. And rudeboy if he's a gaffer as well! I think I DC'd right at the end after we killed that terrible boss, but I got to save!

Did you end up getting to HR6? I just finished the Goldbeard fight after I got disconnected. Hopefully you beat him. Good hunts.

Man, I've spent a ton of time trying to find a Narga Medulla to finish my HR armor set. I've finally got it only to realize that the game glitched my save and turned my Narga helm into a Narga vest. So I didn't even need it in the end lol

ramyeon

Yup! Got to hr6! Thanks again for everything!
Mate, good to hear you got the rank up! We thought you might not have because of the disconnect. Great hunting, toasty and rudeboy too. We'll have to do some G rank stuff next time!

I can't believe how lucky I've been recently. 2 Los Rubies and a plate from 2 runs. And 2 Deep and 1 Dark Dragongem from that first Goldbeard. Too bad it's all stuff I don't need :( where's my Lagia Mantle?!

Raide

With the Bows, I still wish they had differing amounts for the Coatings. Would be nice to have a Bow with 2x the Poison shots in it.

Also, Razor Coating for Tail cuts please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom