• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H4zxLXX.jpg

HR 3->6 along with another 5 or so Azure Raths (pushing 20 now) and still no god damn rubies

Meanwhile I get 2 Lagi Sapphires doing the urgent and then in the next one for JoeFu I get a Sapphire and a Plate

iWpP5DL1GJvqZ.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it actually possible to fail the urgent caedeus quest?

I felt like I shouldn't have won that.

Other than that new environment woooooooo.

Sanctuary

They seriously need to fire everyone in the Moga Village quality and assurance team. There's nothing like having all five mega pickaxes breaking after a maximum of three strikes each, only to have an old pickaxe last for over thirty.

Nohar

Can someone help me? Where can I farm the Cat Paw ticket thingy, the ones needed to craft some weapons? I know that Melynx (the black cat thieves) drop these, but it seems to be very rare. Also, whose Melynx should I hunt? Those in High rank or G rank ?

ramyeon

Can someone help me? Where can I farm the Cat Paw ticket thingy, the ones needed to craft some weapons? I know that Melynx (the black cat thieves) drop these, but it seems to be very rare. Also, whose Melynx should I hunt? Those in High rank or G rank ?
Best place I've found is the Sandy Plains caves on a Harvest Tour. There are 3 cats there to start with and they respawn after less than a minute one time. Doesn't matter what rank.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Or you can just start a HR gathering quest, wait for the supplies to come, deliver one paw pass ticket and while you're waiting to go home take another.

Airan

Or you can just start a HR gathering quest, wait for the supplies to come, deliver one paw pass ticket and while you're waiting to go home take another.

Pawprint Stamp, not Pawprint Pass. I made the same mistake early on :D

Kiranico suggests 20% drop chance for Melynx and 12% for Felyne in every rank. I might have to include Melynx killing during my G-rank Volcano mining runs.

Haunted

Yeah, crazy. Monster and environment assets look great. Cryengine 3 is pretty.

The rest (animations, it being a Chinese MMO made by Tencent)... not so much.

I think he's talking about pawprint stamps, not paw pass tickets.

Black Melynx have a 20% drop rate in any rank, Low/High/G. The White Felynes have a 12% drop rate.

Is it actually possible to fail the urgent caedeus quest?

I felt like I shouldn't have won that.

Other than that new environment woooooooo.
It absolutely is. You did enough damage to repel him, grats.

Haunted

Grand Yamato set is probably the best G Rank set for GS users.

Needed a 3 slot weapon and talisman to achieve the skillset.
Now that's what I call...

being set for the endgame.

As an aside, I can't believe they give you the option to rename your sets and limit names to 6 fucking letters. Terrible. So much empty space on the screen - in the set box, even! - and they don't let you spell anything out properly. Same with the fucking item names, so many abbreviations and shortenings. Totally unnecessary. Not being able to spell out Glacial Agnaktor Carapace or Heavy Armor Sphere, fucking tech limit holdovers.

Fistwell

You can only break one of Ceadeus' horns. Goldbeard's can both break though.
That actually threw me off when I went back to finish moga quests. I had a ceadeus kill quest left unfinished, and I spent a good 5 minutes wailing on the second horn before remembering I couldn't break it.

DERP

anybody want to help to drag my sorry ass from HR7 to HR8?
We can do it tonight if you want. We did warudo's urgent yesterday (with him wearing his Special Miralis Set with -35 fire res).

Female Brachy gunner helmet. What is that abomination.
Yeah wtf is that!!? (didn't remember what it was like, looked it up last night)

NeoRausch

anybody want to help to drag my sorry ass from HR7 to HR8?

FreeC L9 standard pass

edit:

scratch that, need to farm something before.
and almost nobody is online.

I'll try again later!

Mupod

Grand Yamato set is probably the best G Rank set for GS users.

Needed a 3 slot weapon and talisman to achieve the skillset.

GS skills I'm trying for are fast sheathing, sharpness+1, crit draw and focus. The waist part of grand yamato seems like it'd be good for that at least, but I can already make that. His gunner set seems alright though, so I think my future holds a lot of sand whales.

Just need a Deviljho Crook for a sword too. I'd rather make the Diablos one but if I ever get another Hardhorn I'm using it on the X chestpiece. I don't think I'll see another two hardhorns after that if I farm Diablos for the next 200 hours I play, so my Diablos Kingsword King Atillart Sword Cera Cymmetry will have to wait.

Ridley327

What talisman are you using for that?

Just a simple Sheathing +5 talisman with no slots; the armor has plenty of slots to make all those skills happen.

I'm looking at Athena's charm app and it does look like that there are plenty of Sheathing +5 charms with slots, but I probably have a better chance of getting 10 more Hardhorns than I do a specific charm.

Kaji

The l.Nargacuga SA is probably a better choice over the LS yeah?

I'm leaning towards the axe especially coupled with Rath soul armour

Thoughts?

The greatsword is one of the easiest and one of the hardest weapons to master. If you take pot shots and use hit-and-run tactics, it's safe and easy. If you go for the big damage charge attacks, it's quite difficult.

This! It's like the saying "easy to learn, hard to master". I main a greatsword and even in easy battles my personal mantra is "don't get greedy". I know it applies to everything in MonHun but it especially seems to apply with the greatsword.

Part of my enjoyment honestly with the greatsword is the lack of complexity in the weapon itself - it doesn't have a spirit gauge to have to keep up with (like the longsword), different forms (like the switch-axe), don't have to worry (as much) about status effects or sharpening as often as the sword-and-shield or dual-blades, etc.

However, the difficulty in using the greatsword is knowing when to attack and when not to. You do a TON of damage per hit so you don't need to hit the monster nearly as much as with most other weapons but you HAVE to make sure those hits connect without getting punished (too much), and you're less mobile and more vulnerable while that weapon is out.

Plus, how can I resist swinging a gigantic huge-ass sword around? And there is no greater feeling than delivering a perfectly timed level 3 charge right into a monster's face as it charges up to you, breaking its head/face and staggering it at the same time? Like the old Mastercard commercials - priceless... :)

Thought I'd do a couple more A.Rathalos runs before bed so I can finally get that God forsaken ruby. Mistakenly I joined G rank room and strangely, it wasn't any more difficult. Sure the hits were harder but, I don't really get hit by him anyway unless I'm having a bad string of luck.

Anyway, cut off his tail, carve it and what do I get on my first G rank A.Rathalos? A FUCKING MANTLE FROM HIS FUCKING TAIL! Ain't that some shit? I just wanted a ruby. Why can't I have a ruby? Now after a few runs of double A.Rath in G rank I'm at the exact point I was at with HR A.Rath except now I need a mantle instead of a ruby to complete the set.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?

Now I'm never going to get another mantle ;_;

Ridley327

Thought I'd do a couple more A.Rathalos runs before bed so I can finally get that God forsaken ruby. Mistakenly I joined G rank room and strangely, it wasn't any more difficult. Sure the hits were harder but, I don't really get hit by him anyway unless I'm having a bad string of luck.

Anyway, cut off his tail, carve it and what do I get on my first G rank A.Rathalos? A FUCKING MANTLE FROM HIS FUCKING TAIL! Ain't that some shit? I just wanted a ruby. Why can't I have a ruby? Now after a few runs of double A.Rath in G rank I'm at the exact point I was at with HR A.Rath except now I need a mantle instead of a ruby to complete the set.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME?

Now I'm never going to get another mantle ;_;

Desire Sensor is a cruel bitch; in my first five runs on Azure Rathalos, I got six Rubies and six Medullas, and I didn't even know I wanted the Rath Soul set at the time.

Nohar

Thank you for your earlier answers regarding the Pawprint Stamps.

Now: where is the best place to mine Earth Crystals (and at which rank)? :D I need a ton of them.

Mupod

Now: where is the best place to mine Earth Crystals (and at which rank)? :D I need a ton of them.

I don't think there's any one specific best area to mine them, they seem to have the same drop rate from most mining nodes. My advice is to just mine the volcano for charms/rustshards like usual and you'll get plenty.

Fistwell

where is the best place to mine Earth Crystals (and at which rank)? :D I need a ton of them.
Low-rank tundra. Low-rank volcano is also ok.

Is the desire sensor an actual thing?
o_O
You mean you don't regularly check desire sensor readings when playing?! How do you even...?! Next you gonna tell me you didn't time your character creation for charm table 10!?!
it's not an actual thing

Rize_21

I used to go in the Moga's forest,sometimes at the beginning,there's a rock that spawn,then the cavern(zone 4),zone 7,and zone 8,after that return to village.
It was pretty quick with the Azuros set!

The one Mupod suggest is surely the best place,but it's only available at HR 7.

Chuckpebble

After beating Baleful Gigginox, he was tricky, lots of stuns but not a hard hitter, I kind of went into my first normal high rank Gigginox with a false sense of security. Failed my first quest since killing Arzuros way back in the beginning. He kept sniping me with poison spit as I was taking antidotes. Devastating. Got him on my second try though, with a little more patience applied. I'm really happy that things are getting trickier.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Question about weapons, because I'm not sure how weapon abilities like poison stack with damage.

Does a shadow saber with 196 base and 210 poison deliver more damage than a carpace mace+ with 210 base no element?

Haunted

Is the desire sensor an actual thing?
Of course. Why do you think MH3U is on WiiU? Camera in the gamepad.

Question about weapons, because I'm not sure how weapon abilities like poison stack with damage.

Does a shadow saber with 196 base and 210 poison deliver more damage than a carpace mace+ with 210 base no element?
Hm.

Poison (and other status attacks) work like this: the base damage is directly dealt to the monster's HP. The status damage is dealt to a monster's resistance to that status. Once that (static) threshold is overcome, the monster is poisoned/paralysed/falls asleep. Afterwards, the monster's resistance to that status increases and the counter is reset.

So in the case of poison, the amount of poison damage you deal doesn't actually change the amount of damage you deal to the monster when it's poisoned, it changes how quickly and how often the monster will get poisoned due to you overcoming its resistance more often with a stronger poison attack. How much damage a monster takes from poison varies from monster to monster. I remember Uragaan being particularly vulnerable to it, for example.

So, to actually answer your question... I don't know! It's tough to say. You will deal more direct damage with the 210 atk mace, but depending on how often you hit with the 196 atk saber, you could deal more damage over time due to the monster getting poisoned several times. My gut feeling is to go with the PO saber in most cases, but that's just me.

Mupod

Assuming they have the same sharpness level since I'm not looking them up - on an individual hit, the 210 raw damage one will beat it out. But the poison would probably make the other sword better against most monsters, in some cases much better.

Monsters have an invisible tolerance level for status effects, and they recover over time. If you hit with a poison/paralyze/whatever effect enough times over a certain period they'll be afflicted by the status. Generally, they gain more resistance to status each time you afflict them, but some gain less extra tolerance over time than others.

example: plesioth takes huge damage when you poison him, and he doesn't gain much resistance so you'll be poisoning him over and over. Whereas...I dunno, rathalos or something would be less vulnerable.

taybul

Last night I completed about 15 quests with the same hammer user. Homie managed to get a whopping ZERO goddamn KOs. Usually aimed for the legs with the spin attack. The most unfortunate part is that this was in G Rank, lol.

I guess noobs can level up, huh?
Ugh on the flipside of this as a hammer user I see a lot of non-hammer users crowding the head. Should I feel bad for super pounding them away when they should be trying to off a tail? Maybe.

Mupod

Ugh on the flipside of this as a hammer user I see a lot of non-hammer users crowding the head. Should I feel bad for super pounding them away when they should be trying to off a tail? Maybe.

No, unless it's diablos and the horns are still on. In that case I try to sneak in hits to KO it once but the head takes very little impact damage.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Gotcha, another question that I can't seem to find clearly answered.

Mining nodes change color over time, do they get "better" if you don't mine them immediately?

Thinking of trying out the Switch Axe when I finally get around to making a damn blademaster armor, but I'm wondering: Does it have any of that charge business that the normal GS has? Mainly for lopping off tails and such, of course, but I don't know if I'll have that utility.

Mupod

Mining nodes change color over time, do they get "better" if you don't mine them immediately?

there are different types of nodes with different kinds of ore etc, and sometimes nodes respawn. So I guess these different color nodes are spawning when you're not looking at them?

I don't usually bother with waiting for respawns so I don't know the exact details, if I'm mining I just do a quick circuit and then end the quest

Kyzon

So me and my gf went and did every Low Rank quest. She saw the urgent to go to high rank, and said "Nope, I'm fine with being down here for a while", lol. Apparently she isn't bout that life. Or she doesn't have faith in me wrecking the beast while she acts like my third shakalaka (running around and dodging almost everything, then taking random pot shots)

there are different types of nodes with different kinds of ore etc, and sometimes nodes respawn. So I guess these different color nodes are spawning when you're not looking at them?

I don't usually bother with waiting for respawns so I don't know the exact details, if I'm mining I just do a quick circuit and then end the quest

All the nodes "Reload/Respawn" every 5 minutes I believe.

Haunted

Not rarer, but I do think different colours denote different ores to mine. And they don't actually change colours, the node vanishes and is replaced with another. So you should always mine every node you see immediately.

edit: at least that's how I play it. :D Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

burgerdog

So me and my gf went and did every Low Rank quest. She saw the urgent to go to high rank, and said "Nope, I'm fine with being down here for a while", lol. Apparently she isn't bout that life. Or she doesn't have faith in me wrecking the beast while she acts like my third shakalaka (running around and dodging almost everything, then taking random pot shots)

All the nodes "Reload/Respawn" every 5 minutes I believe.

Three minions? Hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom