• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Pila

Yeah man, digital is love! <3

Wow, Jho the cannibal eating its own tail... now I gotta see it in person.

Almost done all tanzia quests, I guess I'm missing just a couple advanced ones.

I went to buy it today, checked Walmart and Target, and they are both out of stock in store and online. I found that odd. I guess they aren't shipping any more? Well, I still am not going to buy digital. I'll try to get it used online or something.

Elija2

Goddamnit, I just need one more Rathian Spike to be able to forge a weapon, but after grinding Rathians for hours I haven't been able to get one. I've even been cutting off the Rathian's tail to increase my odds but still no luck. I hate this!

Heroman

Banned
Goddamnit, I just need one more Rathian Spike to be able to forge a weapon, but after grinding Rathians for hours I haven't been able to get one. I've even been cutting off the Rathian's tail to increase my odds but still no luck. I hate this!

Cap it.

Elija2

But I can't carve the monster if I capture it, so wouldn't that lessen my chances of getting it?

EDIT: Just checked. So if you kill a monster you can carve it's corpse 3 or 4 times but if you capture it then you get 2 extra rewards at the end of the quest. According to Kiranico there's a 5% chance of carving a Rathian Spike out of a Rathalos, but there's a 7% chance of getting a Rathian Spike at the end of a Rathalos kill/capture quest as a reward. If my math is correct, my odds are still better if I kill it instead of capture it, right?

EDIT2: Welp, it worked. I captured a Rathian and got a Rathian Spike at the end of the quest. I guess there are some things about MonHun that I will just never understand.

DaBoss

Capturing monsters gives you a better chance for most things. That's why you see people capturing monsters most of the time online.

tuffy

To be more specific, capturing usually offers better chances at more rare parts at the expense of worse chances at more common parts. Like if you just need a Rathalos Scale+, you'll want body carves - but capture if you need a Rathalos Ruby. It makes sense because capturing is a little more involved in terms of preparation and materials.

It's also a good way to shave off a few minutes of hunt time if one just wants to get the quest over with.

Defuso

But I can't carve the monster if I capture it, so wouldn't that lessen my chances of getting it?

EDIT: Just checked. So if you kill a monster you can carve it's corpse 3 or 4 times but if you capture it then you get 2 extra rewards at the end of the quest. According to Kiranico there's a 5% chance of carving a Rathian Spike out of a Rathalos, but there's a 7% chance of getting a Rathian Spike at the end of a Rathalos kill/capture quest as a reward. If my math is correct, my odds are still better if I kill it instead of capture it, right?

EDIT2: Welp, it worked. I captured a Rathian and got a Rathian Spike at the end of the quest. I guess there are some things about MonHun that I will just never understand.

The math should be simple, but remains somehow still confusing. :D

If you have 2% for carve and 2% for capture for a ruby for example:

3 x 2% for carve
2 x 2% for capturing

So carve is better! (but maybe riskier or takes longer)

You get additional % for break rewards and for tail carve and for shinning "tears".

You can boost your chances by eating (the right combinations) and with armor skills. This goes for carving and for capturing.

Zarovitch

It's time to hug Poogie.

tuffy

So if I want something with less than a 10% drop rate I should capture instead of kill? Well, that's good to know.
It's not necessarily true in all cases, though. Take Lrg Wyvern Stones, for instance. It's 4% per body carve or 3% for capture rewards. Since Plesioth has 4 carves, killing it works out to:

1 - (1 - 0.04)&#8308; &#8773; 15% chance of at least one per G rank Plesioth

but capturing works out to:

1 - (1 - 0.03)² &#8773; 6% chance of at least one per G rank Plesioth

since there's 2 capture rewards per monster.

There's even a few cases where quest rewards give the best odds (like the "Plain Dangerous" quest for Diablos Hardhorns). All we can do is run the math and hope for the best.

Elija2

It's not necessarily true in all cases, though. Take Lrg Wyvern Stones, for instance. It's 4% per body carve or 3% for capture rewards. Since Plesioth has 4 carves, killing it works out to:

1 - (1 - 0.04)&#8308; &#8773; 15% chance of at least one per G rank Plesioth

but capturing works out to:

1 - (1 - 0.03)² &#8773; 6% chance of at least one per G rank Plesioth

since there's 2 capture rewards per monster.

There's even a few cases where quest rewards give the best odds (like the "Plain Dangerous" quest for Diablos Hardhorns). All we can do is run the math and hope for the best.

So in the case of a Rathian Spike, my odds are 1-(1-0.05)^3 = 14% if I kill it (assuming I get 3 carves), but there's also a 7% chance I get it as a reward for completing the hunting quest. Since I don't get anything for just capturing a Rathian, I have to complete a capturing quest which also has a 7% chance of rewarding me a Rathian Spike. Is it correct that capture quests give you 2 more rewards than hunting quests? If so, my chances of getting it as a reward are 14% higher if I do a capture quest than a hunt quest which negates the advantage that the hunt quest gives by allowing me to carve. So my odds of getting it from a hunt quest and a capture quest are about equal (unless Rathians give more than 3 carves), right?

Is there a way to see how many carves a monster has and how many rewards a quest gives?

tuffy

If comparing "Dragon Lady" (the Rathian hunt quest) with "A Royal Rumble" (the Rathian capture quest), you're better off killing it for the carves since the quest rewards options for spikes are the same (4, 7% chances on either quest) but there's no capture reward chance. Though it's best to get the tail off if possible for that big juicy 20% tail carve chance.

The GameFAQs carve guide is another useful resource since many of the totals are calculated already. Most monsters have 3 carves, but very large ones (i.e. Duramboros, Plesioth, etc.) give 4. Unfortunately, knowing the number of carves or quest rewards chances is something you'll have to extrapolate from the carve guide or learn from experience since Kiranico doesn't list that info.

Elija2

If comparing "Dragon Lady" (the Rathian hunt quest) with "A Royal Rumble" (the Rathian capture quest), you're better off killing it for the carves since the quest rewards options for spikes are the same (4, 7% chances on either quest) but there's no capture reward chance. Though it's best to get the tail off if possible for that big juicy 20% tail carve chance.

The GameFAQs carve guide is another useful resource since many of the totals are calculated already. Most monsters have 3 carves, but very large ones (i.e. Duramboros, Plesioth, etc.) give 4. Unfortunately, knowing the number of carves or quest rewards chances is something you'll have to extrapolate from the carve guide or learn from experience since Kiranico doesn't list that info.

So you don't get more rewards for completing a capture quest? I guess I just got lucky when I got it from the capture quest.

tuffy

So you don't get more rewards for completing a capture quest? I guess I just got lucky when I got it from the capture quest.
Your 2 capture rewards show up in the rewards screen after the quest alongside the quest rewards, so you'll wind up sorting out more stuff than usual.

tuffy

What do you mean by "sorting out more stuff than usual"?
Instead of having to decide whether to "Take", "Sell" or "Put in Box" ~7-8 different monster parts on the rewards screen, you'll have ~9-10 because all the capture rewards sit alongside the quest rewards once the quest is finished.

Elija2

Instead of having to decide whether to "Take", "Sell" or "Put in Box" ~7-8 different monster parts on the rewards screen, you'll have ~9-10 because all the capture rewards sit alongside the quest rewards once the quest is finished.

Oh, but since I get more rewards for completing a capture quest how is it that my odds are still better if I do a hunt quest? I know that I wouldn't be able to carve the monster if I do a capture quest, but wouldn't the extra rewards that I get at the end of the quest make up for that?

tuffy

Oh, but since I get more rewards for completing a capture quest how is it that my odds are still better if I do a hunt quest? I know that I wouldn't be able to carve the monster if I do a capture quest, but wouldn't the extra rewards that I get at the end of the quest make up for that?
The extra 2 rewards for capturing come out of the capture rewards odds and not out of the quest rewards odds. So since Rathian Spikes can't be gotten by capturing, those 2 capture rewards on the rewards screen will be a Rathian Shell, Rathian Scale, Rath Marrow, Flame Sac or Rathian Plate (at low rank).

The struggle to wait for MH4U is real. I've been eyeing the PSP versions of Monster Hunter recently, but I don't know if I have what it takes to start using the 'claw'. The demo for my PSP makes targeting seem like a nightmare. I don't even want to play the game away from my house so I should just stick it out on the Wii U and 3DS, but the lure of something new is becoming too great. I'm HR7 now. Is there anything big and new I have yet to see in MH3U?

Elija2

The extra 2 rewards for capturing come out of the capture rewards odds and not out of the quest rewards odds. So since Rathian Spikes can't be gotten by capturing, those 2 capture rewards on the rewards screen will be a Rathian Shell, Rathian Scale, Rath Marrow, Flame Sac or Rathian Plate (at low rank).

Ah, now I understand. Thanks.

Elija2

Woohoo, I slayed my first Lagiacrus! Underwater battles aren't so bad now that I have a longer and more powerful weapon. Trying to hack at things underwater with the sword and shield was awful.

Heroman

Banned
Woohoo, I slayed my first Lagiacrus! Underwater battles aren't so bad now that I have a longer and more powerful weapon. Trying to hack at things underwater with the sword and shield was awful.

Lance is the best wepon for under water fights.

PKrockin

I'm not really a fan of HR200 players coming into low/high rank rooms and stunlocking monsters to death in 2 minutes. It's cool if you want to get to G-Rank this instant or want to grind for gems, but it's pretty boring. ( &#65377;_&#65377;)

Although, even with rank appropriate players multiplayer tends to make this game pretty easy already. As long as they're not one of those players who let other people carry every quest and never developed his own skill.

1:10 shows off the difference quite well imo

Clockwise from top left; disc, internal HDD, external HDD, SSD, external HDD. Just an exaggeration but it does shave off like a few seconds. Only paying $20 for a digital copy helps despite paying $60 for the disc.

Eyeballing the video timer:

Starting quest: 6.7 seconds disc, ~4 seconds Wii U memory
Moving between areas: ~1.8 seconds disc, ~1.1 seconds Wii U memory

Pretty good but not "dealing with Nintendo's digital policies and lack of sales" good IMO.

Anura

I'm not really a fan of HR200 players coming into low/high rank rooms and stunlocking monsters to death in 2 minutes. It's cool if you want to get to G-Rank this instant or want to grind for gems, but it's pretty boring. ( &#65377;_&#65377;)

Although, even with rank appropriate players multiplayer tends to make this game pretty easy already. As long as they're not one of those players who let other people carry every quest and never developed his own skill.

Pretty good but not "dealing with Nintendo's digital policies and lack of sales" good IMO.

Online is balanced for around 2 people as it's unchanged from its portable counterpart. Makes perfect sense once you consider how hard it is to get 4 people like that

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Can't really argue the policies but MH3U is one of the few games to go on sale multiple times on both 3DS and Wii U.

ohlawd

fortunately I don't care about the no account thing. Got better things to worry about than passing up decent sales like half off MH3U and shit.

Pila

You're right, it's like you're not playing at all. When I was low/high rank I used to tell them: "Thanks for helping, please don't wear end-game stuff". Sometimes they played in their undies just to teach me a lesson. :lol

Nothing wrong with a room "HR5 only" if you feel like it, veterans should not kill your fun.

tuffy

Butting into low or high rank rooms with G rank gear and finishing the quest in a couple of minutes isn't doing anybody any favors; it's best to let people with roughly the same level of experience figure things out on their own. I do keep a set of high rank armor and some high rank weapons around for emergencies though, just because I'll help out anybody who asks.

Top Bottom