• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Wolfe

It's all in your mind.

Any other game: "Oh man you're getting shit on by RNG."

MH: "DESIRE SENSOR!!!"

Joking aside I haven't checked out much info on MH4 yet, I wonder if there will be any maps that look as pretty as misty peaks. That's by far my favorite looking area in 3.

upandaway

Just like the desire sensor, right? I mean that thing also exists, right? As an actual in-game mechanic?
It's right there in the code.

Of course it does! Now that I have everything that could ever need a Rathian Mantle I get at least one every Ian hunt. I think I'm up to 12 or so... But woe be to me if I ever need A. Lagi horns again
Oooohhh dang you just gave me chills. No more. Make it stop!! Noooo!!!

Anura

It's all in your mind.

Any other game: "Oh man you're getting shit on by RNG."

MH: "DESIRE SENSOR!!!"

Joking aside I haven't checked out much info on MH4 yet, I wonder if there will be any maps that look as pretty as misty peaks. That's by far my favorite looking area in 3.

Inside jokes are what makes gaming communities fun!
As for MH4 the swamp area has some really pretty spots and some really ugly spots. Some of the prettiest and ugliest zones in all of MH in that one place (speaking from a design point of view and not the textural and technical point of view)

Edit: Like here
Primeval_Forest.jpg

It's taken at a weird angle but the zone is still really good even in normal gameplay

Wolfe

Inside jokes are what makes gaming communities fun!
As for MH4 the swamp area has some really pretty spots and some really ugly spots. Some of the prettiest and ugliest zones in all of MH in that one place (speaking from a design point of view and not the textural and technical point of view)

Edit: Like here
Primeval_Forest.jpg

It's taken at a weird angle but the zone is still really good even in normal gameplay

Looks pretty rad!

PKrockin

I'm liking the hunting horn. It's tough, but so satisfying to pull off recital combos, smashing faces in and jamming out at the same time. I just need more practice. Where are all the hunting horns online? It seems like 50% longswords and I haven't seen a single other HH user yet. :(

tuffy

Hunting horns are probably hanging out with all the heavy bowgunners. Everybody appreciates having them around, but nobody wants to learn how to use them properly.

upandaway

I had fun with HHs in the Arena, but having to do the same songs over and over every couple of minutes is a bit irritating, especially if it's a 4-noter. I think I would have them lasting forever with the appropriate tradeoffs.

Say, if it only registers a note if that attack connected with a monster, and the effect disappears when you change areas. Hell you don't even have to change the HH, just make it into a limiter function or something. I'd be all over it.
I kinda want to think up a limiter function for every single weapon class now.

Anura

HH is the only weapon I don't have 100+ uses of... I could never get into it and wasn't as fun as hammering IMO. I do still have like 27 uses so I guess that's ok

ohlawd

looking at my weapon usage, I haven't used any weapons except lances, hammers, great swords and long swords........ damn

hey I'll fix that with MH4. I'll main hunting horns and be badass.

Pila

I'm liking the hunting horn. It's tough, but so satisfying to pull off recital combos, smashing faces in and jamming out at the same time. I just need more practice. Where are all the hunting horns online? It seems like 50% longswords and I haven't seen a single other HH user yet. :(
Part of the problem here. :(

I rarely use my LSs these days because rooms are full of them and I like four different weapons in my hunts... I pick them only when my fellow hunters don't. When I really feel like using my LSs I usually do some tanzia solo, it's always fun.

tuffy

Next time around I'm going to use both kinds of bowguns right from the start.

I've recently put together the Mizar's Asterism and practiced the Switch Axe enough to be a danger to myself and others. That might come in handy if I need to do some tail cutting in the future. But the guns are my happy place so I usually default to them.

Anura

Honestly I should problably take it back because I was no different Back when I first started playing years ago. I stuck to lance and hammer only and was fine with it.

PKrockin

I'm at 127 hours since I got the game 18 days ago, are you sure I don't have a problem

brachydios is a dick. I used every potion, fainted twice and had only a few minutes left when I finally beat him

Beats

I love Hunting Horns. The Lunar Chordmaker hunting horn was a pain to get though, but it was extremely useful for some fights. I think I might change or sub another weapon when MH4 is out though.

Pila

I don't know know how you guys can stick to a weapon that long. I'm literally changing mine every hunt
When you start your first MH I almost think that you should stick to a weapon for a bit. You have a lot of things to learn regarding the fights and I found a little easier to do so with a weapon I was familiar with. After 300+ dual blades usages, I started trying out different weapons. Just my opinion!

XDDX

During Tri I only used the sword and shield and in 3U I pretty much stuck with the switch axe until recently when I tried the dual blades. I used them for a bit but I keep returning to the switch axe. It just feels so good. I do want to try using more weapons when 4 comes out here.

Zarovitch

I try Switch Axe for the first time last night. I think i'll stick with it for some time.
It's not to slow for my taste. I still need to understand all the move.

The sword mode seem great but you can only walk in this state.
Do you use the sword when Monster are immobile?

tuffy

I try Switch Axe for the first time last night. I think i'll stick with it for some time.
It's not to slow for my taste. I still need to understand all the move.

The sword mode seem great but you can only walk in this state.
Do you use the sword when Monster are immobile?
Though I'm still trying to get better at it myself, I advise staying in sword mode as much as your phial allows. If you need to cover a small amount of distance, a couple of rolls will do. If the monster runs off and you need to cover a lot of distance, sheath your weapon, sprint after it and then attack directly into sword mode (X+A+R). But if it's someplace inaccessible (underground, flying too high), sheath or switch to axe mode to let your gauge refill on its own.

The axe mode's hack-and-slash move (upswing, then mash A) is actually the most powerful combo the weapon has so it shouldn't be overlooked, but that's only when something's totally immobile. Just get used to comboing back and forth between the two modes so that you're not forced into the "empty phial vent" animation when sword mode runs completely down.

Zarovitch

Though I'm still trying to get better at it myself, I advise staying in sword mode as much as your phial allows. If you need to cover a small amount of distance, a couple of rolls will do. If the monster runs off and you need to cover a lot of distance, sheath your weapon, sprint after it and then attack directly into sword mode (X+A+R). But if it's someplace inaccessible (underground, flying too high), sheath or switch to axe mode to let your gauge refill on its own.

The axe mode's hack-and-slash move (upswing, then mash A) is actually the most powerful combo the weapon has so it shouldn't be overlooked, but that's only when something's totally immobile. Just get used to comboing back and forth between the two modes so that you're not forced into the "empty phial vent" animation when sword mode runs completely down.

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to retry that :)
I didnt get that we can attack directly into sword mode with (X+A+R)

PKrockin

I dunno if I can go back to the hammer after the horn. Support songs aside, it's so much faster and easier to reach heads that I'm actually getting more KOs. It's all about that delicious sound of a smashing weapon connecting with a monster's skull <3

Piotrek

Dear Hunter GAF, the question pertains to MHFU, but I guess this is the place to ask MH-questions nowadays.

Is there a way to convert MHFU PSP saves from EU to US format? I live in EU, had PAL games on my PSP but recently jumped ship to US-account Vita. Thing is, the save games don't work with US MHFU. Kind of a bummer, considering I played it for some time.

I tried googling it and it seems there was some kind of a way to do it, but I can't find any details.

Macka

I'm trying to play locally with someone with a different region 3DS and it's not working. We can't see each other.

Seriously? Please tell me there's a fix for this...

Demoli

Finally got my majestic horn after 35 diablos. Now farming up my GSs and while trying to get a rathalos medulla (none yet) managed to get 2 rubies.

Also, plesioth, for some reason is way easier to fight in the water I feel.

Prototype

I dunno if I can go back to the hammer after the horn. Support songs aside, it's so much faster and easier to reach heads that I'm actually getting more KOs. It's all about that delicious sound of a smashing weapon connecting with a monster's skull <3

As a GS user I'm a fan of a HH in the group. AuL song please!

I feel the same way. Much easier in water.

Anura

Dear Hunter GAF, the question pertains to MHFU, but I guess this is the place to ask MH-questions nowadays.

Is there a way to convert MHFU PSP saves from EU to US format? I live in EU, had PAL games on my PSP but recently jumped ship to US-account Vita. Thing is, the save games don't work with US MHFU. Kind of a bummer, considering I played it for some time.

I tried googling it and it seems there was some kind of a way to do it, but I can't find any details.
I believe you can with custom firmware but I don't know for sure

I'm trying to play locally with someone with a different region 3DS and it's not working. We can't see each other.

Seriously? Please tell me there's a fix for this...
My JPN MH3G doesn't work with my US MH3U. I'm not sure how it fares with other regions but I'm pretty sure it can't be helped

PKrockin

He's easier in water most of the time, but when he gets tired on land he lowers his head and stops moving for an absurdly long time. I tend to play it safe until that point and I do pretty well. Dem hip checks still get me though.
As a GS user I'm a fan of a HH in the group. AuL song please!
Holy crap, Attack Up Large increases the party's Attack by 20%? That's a lot. I've yet to find a horn with it yet though. Negate stamina use and hearing protection seem to be the most useful songs I've seen on horns I can make. Sadly a lot of stuff seems very situational or could be replaced by an item.

Anura

He's easier in water most of the time, but when he gets tired on land he lowers his head and stops moving for an absurdly long time. I tend to play it safe until that point and I do pretty well. Dem hip checks still get me though.

Holy crap, Attack Up Large increases the party's Attack by 20%? That's a lot. I've yet to find a horn with it yet though. Negate stamina use and hearing protection seem to be the most useful songs I've seen on horns I can make. Sadly a lot of stuff seems very situational or could be replaced by an item.

20 not 20% and it averages around 7%. That would be broken if it was 20%.

Prototype

It's an equivalent boost to AuL but what's nice is that it will stack with both AuL (the skill) and your AuL from food buffs.

Add peak performance for yet another AuL boost lol!

edit:

But ya, HH can make any team immediately better. They bring KO power and party wide buffs (skills) with some communication before hand you can avoid equipping certain armor skills because the HH will provide them. This really allows other players to maximize their own effectiveness. Nothing sucks worse when HH plays "Earplugs" but you already have it euipped... 10 skills points down the drain :( I could go on but ya, while I don't use a HH myself, I always try to make room for them in a lobby.

Fistwell

20 not 20% and it averages around 7%. That would be broken if it was 20%.
I think you're confusing armor skill and hunting horn recital. The attack up large song does boost attack up by an insane amount. Don't know the exact number, but 20% sounds about right. It'd bring up my LS attack to something more in line with a GS.

Zarovitch

I've search to know what phials do in switch axe.

I don't understand the element phial.
Elemental Phial: These Phials increa-se the amount of elemental damage the weapon deals.

What's an elemental damage?

Anura

I think you're confusing armor skill and hunting horn recital. The attack up large song does boost attack up by an insane amount. Don't know the exact number, but 20% sounds about right. It'd bring up my LS attack to something more in line with a GS.
ah you're right! I just looked it up and damn that's absurdly good.

I've search to know what phials do in switch axe.

I don't understand the element phial.
Elemental Phial: These Phials increa-se the amount of elemental damage the weapon deals.

What's an elemental damage?
Element damage is the thunder/dragon/fire/ice/water damage your weapon does. It should be on the weapons status page also keep in mind that the SA element phial also effects status (para/sleep/poison). Basically it increase the element by a certain amount (1.5 or 1.25 I think? I don't quite remember the exact value)

Power phial is generally considered the best and element is decent but the dragon phial, poison phial, para phials and exhaust phials are all considered pretty negligible

tuffy

Slime bows seem pretty good against certain targets. But whenever I try elemental bows with Focus and Element Atk Up and mostly level 2/3 charges and trying to stick close so all my arrows hit at optimal range, it still winds up a few minutes slower than my LBG times.

I'd just assumed I needed more practice.

Anura

Why are bows so weak and useless?

I love bow combat. :(
Bow combat is tricky. First thing you want is power coating so make sure your bow has that. Next you want focus and normal/scatter/pierce shot up for whatever the final shot type is. Bows also no longer need element after they changed their damage formula however it's still nice. The Sand barioth makes a great all purpose bow and so does the awakened kelbi bow if you charge it (a good hunter charging it will do much better than the mash X strat)

Be sure to stick in the optimal range and you should do fine. I was getting Zinorge done in less than ten min without even trying with bows

Quadratic

I'm going to make a room for a few hours if anyone wants to join. Trying to get some 7 Star advance quests done. But I'm game for anything really. I can solo the Adv Quests for the most part, but some of them I just run out of time. I'll probably be doing some I.Lagaicrus farming until people turn up.

06 FreeF
Lobby8
NeoGAF
pass: gaf

XDDX

I'm going to make a room for a few hours if anyone wants to join. Trying to get some 7 Star advance quests done. But I'm game for anything really. I can solo the Adv Quests for the most part, but some of them I just run out of time. I'll probably be doing some I.Lagaicrus farming until people turn up.

06 FreeF
Lobby8
NeoGAF
pass: gaf
I'll join in a few minutes.

Edit: Kept getting disconnected. Just not meant to play today I guess.

PKrockin

Man, I hate Rathians and Rathalos. They're so damn tedious. They just run back and forth for about 20 hours and then fly away shooting fireballs, causing constant wind currents, flying out of the zone constantly, camping out in zone exits, roar comboing into fireball, fuck this guy.

I had fun with HHs in the Arena, but having to do the same songs over and over every couple of minutes is a bit irritating, especially if it's a 4-noter. I think I would have them lasting forever with the appropriate tradeoffs.

Say, if it only registers a note if that attack connected with a monster, and the effect disappears when you change areas. Hell you don't even have to change the HH, just make it into a limiter function or something. I'd be all over it.
I kinda want to think up a limiter function for every single weapon class now.

I thought so too at first, until I got Maestro and realized I only have 1-2 songs on a horn that really need playing.

Anura

Man, I hate Rathians and Rathalos. They're so damn tedious. They just run back and forth for about 20 hours and then fly away shooting fireballs, causing constant wind currents, flying out of the zone constantly, camping out in zone exits, roar comboing into fireball, fuck this guy.

Don't worry they get much easier as you learn them. After all my time spent on MH and with these two being in every game they are actually some of the easiest monsters for me (especially Rathian)

tuffy

It doesn't matter how many hours I've put into Monster Hunter; shooting Rathalos out of the sky never, ever gets old.

PusherT

So why can't I use wii freestyle controls on this version? I could use wiimote + nunchuck in the original Wii Tri version the version I still play More.

Moondrop

Banned
It doesn't matter how many hours I've put into Monster Hunter; shooting Rathalos out of the sky never, ever gets old.

Indeed, but nothing tops doing it with Crag shot.

I'm trying to start again (again), but after putting all those hours into Tri it's difficult.

Top Bottom