• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

jercruz

ummm... so is the GS L3 upward swing stronger than a normal GS L3? Sure you can't use CD with it, but it can happen if your GS has affinity. But is it stronger than a regular GS L3?

EDIT: Also is Quick Sheath more beneficial to SA? so its faster when you sheath/unsheath/transform?

tuffy

EDIT: Also is Quick Sheath more beneficial to SA? so its faster when you sheath/unsheath/transform?
I'm not much help with Great Swords, but I like putting Quick Sheath on my Switch Axe sets so I can use it like a hit-and-run weapon. It makes sheathing speed about twice as fast which is helpful for weapons that sheath really slowly, but doesn't affect unsheathing or transform speeds at all.

Though I'm the opposite of a Switch Axe expert so I can't say if that's optimal or not. But it seems to work.

Anura

ummm... so is the GS L3 upward swing stronger than a normal GS L3? Sure you can't use CD with it, but it can happen if your GS has affinity. But is it stronger than a regular GS L3?

Yeah it is but it's also harder to chain into. You absolutely should use it if you get the chance but you shouldn't base a strategy on it.

As Tuffy said it will only effect sheathing. It's never a bad idea if you can get it as an extra "why not?" type skill but it tends to be pretty hard to gem on with mixes and isn't really needed for SA at all

Getting back into MH after a long period of off and on play (just in time for summer!). Trying out using the sword and shield for the first time. I can't really get the hang of blocking yet though, seems easier to just dodge.

I seriously can't wait for MH4! Also I'm having trouble keeping myself spoiler free. This is like the only game where I want to keep some surprises.

Wolfe

Getting back into MH after a long period of off and on play (just in time for summer!). Trying out using the sword and shield for the first time. I can't really get the hang of blocking yet though, seems easier to just dodge.

I seriously can't wait for MH4! Also I'm having trouble keeping myself spoiler free. This is like the only game where I want to keep some surprises.

Not having a WiiU (I don't even know if Tri on the Wii had online) I'm looking forward to being able to play online.

Pila

Not having a WiiU (I don't even know if Tri on the Wii had online) I'm looking forward to being able to play online.

Yeah Tri on Wii had online play.

OC I'm pretty excited too about MH4. I'd rather play on a home console (don't care which one) but I'm ready to buy a 3DS for it.

I want to get better at the hammer. Any recommendations on what to forge? I see people using Grongigas all the time, is it the absolute best?

Wolfe

OC I'm pretty excited too about MH4. I'd rather play on a home console (don't care which one) but I'm ready to buy a 3DS for it.

I want to get better at the hammer. Any recommendations on what to forge? I see people using Grongigas all the time, is it the absolute best?

It has pretty massive damage with awaken and I find to be pretty great with a set like Ceadeus X which also has HGE and part breaker. I don't remember it being all that hard to make either. As for it being the best I'm not honestly sure, been a while since I've keep up with what's what in this game since I kind of lost my motivation to play solo.

Anura

It's the best especially with awaken

Quadratic

If anyone is feeling up for some HR Alatreon runs on the WiiU let me know via PM so we can set up a time. Maybe this weekend?

I've tried to solo the village one and it's pretty tedious. Hope this can help some others who want to grab some parts. I'm aiming for talons and tails especially.

Pila

It has pretty massive damage with awaken and I find to be pretty great with a set like Ceadeus X which also has HGE and part breaker. I don't remember it being all that hard to make either. As for it being the best I'm not honestly sure, been a while since I've keep up with what's what in this game since I kind of lost my motivation to play solo.

It's the best especially with awaken

Lol I already have the Grongigas, I forged it like last year and I couldn't remember about it ^^ I'm having fun with it, I never aimed for the head before and it's pretty fun. This game can change drastically if you start to learn a new weapon, it's really good. HR100 is not that far away, I'm like 93.

So any tips on capturing Lagiacrus? I've been stuck on this quest for months. Killing him is no problem, but it's just a chore to capture him. Apparently shock trap + tranq bombs when he's drooling is not good enough? How much do I wait in between drooling and dying?

tuffy

So any tips on capturing Lagiacrus? I've been stuck on this quest for months. Killing him is no problem, but it's just a chore to capture him. Apparently shock trap + tranq bombs when he's drooling is not good enough? How much do I wait in between drooling and dying?
A monster that's drooling is not necessarily weak enough to be captured. Drooling and standing around just means that its stamina has been exhausted. Sometimes it'll go eat something at that point but it'll soon be back to normal. When it limps away from the room and/or goes to sleep, that means its health has been lowered enough to be trapped and tranquilized for a capture.

If you're having trouble capturing, try to forge 5 Perception Jwl 1 decorations and attach them to your armor/weapon/charm. This will activate the Capture Guru skill which makes a painted monster's pink dot start to flash on the map when it's weak enough to be captured.

Anura

A monster that's drooling is not necessarily weak enough to be captured. Drooling and standing around just means that its stamina has been exhausted. Sometimes it'll go eat something at that point but it'll soon be back to normal. When it limps away from the room and/or goes to sleep, that means its health has been lowered enough to be trapped and tranquilized for a capture.

If you're having trouble capturing, try to forge 5 Perception Jwl 1 decorations and attach them to your armor/weapon/charm. This will activate the Capture Guru skill which makes a painted monster's pink dot start to flash on the map when it's weak enough to be captured.

They really need to explain drooling more... Or heck all of what was said above. Every newcomer makes that same mistake and I can't blame them

Ah, okay. Thank you! Gonna try again today.

Zarovitch

I've capture a lot of Lagiacrus for a friend that need horn.
I always capture him when it begin to have trouble to swim or walk.

Do people use tainted or poison food? i've never try that, is it working well?

Anura

I've capture a lot of Lagiacrus for a friend that need horn.
I always capture him when it begin to have trouble to swim or walk.

Do people use tainted or poison food? i've never try that, is it working well?
Only works for a select few monsters... Off the top of my head it works on Great Jaggi, Tigrex and Deviljho

I was pleasantly surprised that this game actually has a playable framerate in 2D. I was expecting it to be like other Monster Hunters. Good on Capcom for this.

Zarovitch

Only works for a select few monsters... Off the top of my head it works on Great Jaggi, Tigrex and Deviljho

ok, but how do you use it, you just drop it and will you fight the monster stop to eat?
Or you put the meat in a zone you know he will go eat when exhaust?

tuffy

ok, but how do you use it, you just drop it and will you fight the monster stop to eat?
Or you put the meat in a zone you know he will go eat when exhaust?
Deviljho in particular will just stop and gobble up any meat lying around in the room whenever he's hungry. Dropping tainted meat when first encountering him for a free paralysis is standard operating procedure.

Zarovitch

Deviljho in particular will just stop and gobble up any meat lying around in the room whenever he's hungry. Dropping tainted meat when first encountering him for a free paralysis is standard operating procedure.

Thanks, i remember reading in the Deviljho description that he's always looking for food or something like that.

Elija2

I recently started getting back into MonHun after not playing for a while and I decided I'm gonna stick with switch axes. The only problem is that I only have the starter switch axe so I'm gonna have to grind for items to forge a better one. I wanna forge a Ground Dasher so I'm gonna have to hunt a Gobul (an underwater monster, ugh) and hope it drops a Gobul Spike. I think I remember why I quit.

Elija2

Just make the cat switch axe.

MEOW

MROW

MEOW

Every fucking time you swing.

That sounds terrible.

Anyway, I found out I can't forge a Ground Dasher anyway because I haven't reached any quests that drop Monster Bone+ which is another ingredient I'd need.

Wolfe

That sounds terrible.

Yeah, I made it because I thought "oh this looks like an amusing weapon". Took it on one quest and quickly threw it back into the box. It's like constantly fighting in that part of the deserted island map with all the cats in the shallow water, except you can't kill the cats and be rid of them, they're haunting your weapon.

Elija2

Yeah, I made it because I thought "oh this looks like an amusing weapon". Took it on one quest and quickly threw it back into the box. It's like constantly fighting in that part of the deserted island map with all the cats in the shallow water, except you can't kill the cats and be rid of them, they're haunting your weapon.

Can other players hear it when playing multiplayer? If so, that's gotta be even worse than getting hit by someone's great sword.

Wolfe

Haha honestly I can't remember, I think so though. Well I hope so at least, gotta share that pain with everyone else.

PKrockin

I would murder anyone who used that weapon. Although I am curious what it would sound like to have 4 of them on a hunt.

It really sucks how in MHFU your companions are cats too. I don't know who thought the constant meowing would be cute but it's irritating.

Prototype

There should be a meow slider so you can adjust the frequency. That said I think the cats are 648638496 times cooler (and cuter) then the shakas.

Prototype

In my ~2500 hours in tri/tri ultimate I think I have only seen it about 3 times and usually in the double deviljho quest
Nice man, I'm getting the itch to play again now that I'm more or less done with dark souls 2. I still have to kill 1000 jhos anyway... so maybe I'll see it lol.

Wolfe

There should be a meow slider so you can adjust the frequency. That said I think the cats are 648638496 times cooler (and cuter) then the shakas.

Yeah I'm looking forward to having cat companions in 4, the shakas are alright but they don't really do anything for me.

I would murder anyone who used that weapon. Although I am curious what it would sound like to have 4 of them on a hunt.

Now that sounds rather amusing.

Anura

Yeah I'm looking forward to having cat companions in 4, the shakas are alright but they don't really do anything for me.

Now that sounds rather amusing.

In 4 you have a cat buddy that you start with and you can customize his look slightly and even his "meow" sounds a bit

PKrockin

And now I'm trying out the bow. I just can't stick to one weapon.

I made the high rank Rhinopelos armor for Fast Charge but it's so hideous I'd honestly rather use my low rank Leather armor instead.

Elija2

I was hunting the Gigginox and after using all of my resources I end up dying. I didn't want to restart the whole battle so I went back to where it was and after hitting it two times it dies. I WAS SO CLOSE TO KILLING IT WITHOUT DYING. Oh well.

Top Bottom