• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

Butting into low or high rank rooms with G rank gear and finishing the quest in a couple of minutes isn't doing anybody any favors; it's best to let people with roughly the same level of experience figure things out on their own. I do keep a set of high rank armor and some high rank weapons around for emergencies though, just because I'll help out anybody who asks.
I can for the most part just make the weapon on the spot if needed, but primarily status weapons like the Chum Chum Scarecrows can scale back fine even when fully upgraded, too.

ohlawd

carrying is coolsauce for the peeps who already have experience with the series. Oh, kinda like me. Well, you guys didn't carry me all the way >_> Maybe 85%.

PKrockin

Holy crap Black Diablos is incredibly fast in rage mode. So exhilerating dodging through instant hipchecks and tail spins on instinct.

"I spotted a Duramboros/Brachydios/Zinogre/Barroth/Gobul/Black Diablos in the Moga Woods at night... be sure to check the forecast before heading out." But the forecast still almost never says anything but Great Jaggi/Ludroth/Qurupeco/Rathian. C'mon game, I need 5-6 star commodities...

Kandinsky

So I've been sporting Ceadeus set for a while now, and I want to change to something else, but I also dont want to lose my craftman skill or w'e is called, any recommendations? I'm a hammer/gsword user. I mainly want to change my current set because my kids keep teasing me that I need to upgrade it haha, both of them are higher rank than me (I'm 45 and they both are in the 80s) and they want to help me get better wtf, thx!

tuffy

So I've been sporting Ceadeus set for a while now, and I want to change to something else, but I also dont want to lose my craftman skill or w'e is called, any recommendations? I'm a hammer/gsword user. I mainly want to change my current set because my kids keep teasing me that I need to upgrade it haha, both of them are higher rank than me (I'm 45 and they both are in the 80s) and they want to help me get better wtf, thx!
Yamato/Hyuga Prime is a pretty handy all-purpose Sharpness +1 set. Here's one possibility that's gemmed with FastCharge for all your Great Sword needs. It's mostly made from Hallowed Jhen Mohran parts which is a lot of fun to tackle in a group.

Quadratic

2 Slots left in a room if anyone is interested in dropping by. Just some hunts for Rathalos mantles and Uragaan palliums.

01 Free A
Lobby 9
TO-GAF
Password: GAF

PKrockin

Went back and played some Freedom Unite and was actually kind of surprised how much had been added between. The lance is missing the counter (essential to me) and sweep moves. The horn's weapon info window doesn't list all the songs it can play--you have to go to your house and pore over a list of every song in the game (wtf). There is no combo list, you have to pick ingredients manually. The farm and kitchen seem more limited and difficult to get specific items/effects. Even having to load the house, then load the kitchen to eat instead of being next to the quests is kind of annoying. It's also pretty astounding Capcom released a game like this without almost no camera control outside of clawing. The Nargacuga is in this game for crap's sake. If I had to play this on my PSP with no Vita second analog emulation I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Possibly most baffling of all is the incredibly inconsistent controls. In MH3U it's simple. A talks to people, opens chests, and confirms menu selections, no matter if you're in town or on a quest. Perfectly logical. It's the "confirmation" button and the generic "interact with object" button. MHFU also has a universal menu confirm and cancel button in X and O, but it decides to split up the other functions for no reason. In quests, O talks to people, opens chests, everything you expect from the generic interaction button. The problem is, in town, X talks to people, Square opens chests and moves between areas, and O does absolutely nothing but trigger fast travel in certain areas (a feature I would expect to be assigned to a less essential button like Triangle). I can't for the life of me understand why they would do this even with the X/O function switching between Japanese and Western Playstation games. I don't care if the button is Triangle, just be consistent. I'm ten hours into this game. I should not be accidentally drinking Mega Potions when I meant to open the supply chest because I just got done repeatedly opening the chests in town with Square. Had they chose X to move between areas and open chests in town instead of Square, it wouldn't be as confusing because I would understand X to be the generic interaction button in town and Circle for quests. Instead Square is given the specific function to open chests that leads me to associate chests with Square rather than just another object that should be responded to with the generic interaction button. It's definitely not a big deal, but I just can't imagine how they fucked up such a simple aspect of control design.

Anura

Went back and played some Freedom Unite and was actually kind of surprised how much had been added between. The lance is missing the counter (essential to me) and sweep moves. The horn's weapon info window doesn't list all the songs it can play--you have to go to your house and pore over a list of every song in the game (wtf). There is no combo list, you have to pick ingredients manually. The farm and kitchen seem more limited and difficult to get specific items/effects. Even having to load the house, then load the kitchen to eat instead of being next to the quests is kind of annoying. It's also pretty astounding Capcom released a game like this without almost no camera control outside of clawing. The Nargacuga is in this game for crap's sake. If I had to play this on my PSP with no Vita second analog emulation I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Possibly most baffling of all is the incredibly inconsistent controls. In MH3U it's simple. A talks to people, opens chests, and confirms menu selections, no matter if you're in town or on a quest. Perfectly logical. It's the "confirmation" button and the generic "interact with object" button. MHFU also has a universal menu confirm and cancel button in X and O, but it decides to split up the other functions for no reason. In quests, O talks to people, opens chests, everything you expect from the generic interaction button. The problem is, in town, X talks to people, Square opens chests and moves between areas, and O does absolutely nothing but trigger fast travel in certain areas (a feature I would expect to be assigned to a less essential button like Triangle). I can't for the life of me understand why they would do this even with the X/O function switching between Japanese and Western Playstation games. I don't care if the button is Triangle, just be consistent. I'm ten hours into this game. I should not be accidentally drinking Mega Potions when I meant to open the supply chest because I just got done repeatedly opening the chests in town with Square. Had they chose X to move between areas and open chests in town instead of Square, it wouldn't be as confusing because I would understand X to be the generic interaction button in town and Circle for quests. Instead Square is given the specific function to open chests that leads me to associate chests with Square rather than just another object that should be responded to with the generic interaction button. It's definitely not a big deal, but I just can't imagine how they fucked up such a simple aspect of control design.

Maybe I'm weird but I always find myself switching between playing gen 2, 3 and 4 MH. You get used to these unintuitive choices but they are part of the reason I would never recommend it to a newcomer. The Claw is amazing however IMO

I was hunting a brachydios online with 2 other people to get to HR4. This one guy kept dying and he made us fail the mission. We were so close too, we had it limping :(

PKrockin

lol, Freedom Unite's hitboxes are such bullshit. I'm getting knocked around a lot by tail spins that went clear over my head.

I was hunting a brachydios online with 2 other people to get to HR4. This one guy kept dying and he made us fail the mission. We were so close too, we had it limping :(
I feel like in multiplayer people have almost no reason to cart against single monsters, at least in low/high rank. Even against Zinogre and Brachydios which I faced for the first time in multiplayer I stayed alive by boosting up my defense, bringing extra potions and making sure to use them liberally. You can still get cornered by Ivory Lagiacrus and get thunderbolts shoved up your ass, roar comboed by Giggity while poisoned, or stuff like that, but for the most part it's easy to heal up when one monster divides its attention between 2-4 of you.

Anura

lol, Freedom Unite's hitboxes are such bullshit. I'm getting knocked around a lot by tail spins that went clear over my head.

I feel like in multiplayer people have almost no reason to cart against single monsters, at least in low/high rank. Even against Zinogre and Brachydios which I faced for the first time in multiplayer I stayed alive by boosting up my defense, bringing extra potions and making sure to use them liberally. You can still get cornered by Ivory Lagiacrus and get thunderbolts shoved up your ass, roar comboed by Giggity while poisoned, or stuff like that, but for the most part it's easy to heal up when one monster divides its attention between 2-4 of you.

MHFU tail sweeps are the worst... I hate them a hundred times more than the plessy hip check.

Zinogre is super-duper easy not to be comboed (and in general) but brachy is programmed to go after people further away so healing can make you a very easy target for him (or if you are gunning lol) Not only that but brachy has tons of lingering hitboxes so if he is going for someone else in your general direction while you just got knocked down you will be comboed and most likely die if you have slim blight

Weirdly enough I also consider I. Lagi child's play. Always interesting to see everyone's stances on monsters

PKrockin

MHFU tail sweeps are the worst... I hate them a hundred times more than the plessy hip check.

Zinogre is super-duper easy not to be comboed (and in general) but brachy is programmed to go after people further away so healing can make you a very easy target for him (or if you are gunning lol) Not only that but brachy has tons of lingering hitboxes so if he is going for someone else in your general direction while you just got knocked down you will be comboed and most likely die if you have slim blight

Weirdly enough I also consider I. Lagi child's play. Always interesting to see everyone's stances on monsters
I don't think Zinogre's all that hard--I get hit by his power up more than anything because I still don't know how it works. But when you first fight him his projectile and quick spin/slams can surprise you. Normal and Ivory Lagiacrus aren't bad either but I've had people including myself cart after getting trapped between a wall and its huge body and can't avoid its farther reaching attacks like lightning discharges, forward slither or double hipcheck. It's a failure of positioning but not one that would usually kill you if not for I. Laggy having thunderblight on so many attacks.

Agnaktor is the one I really loathe. His forward slither usually gets me before I can react to if he's aiming where I was at the start of the move or if he course corrects to hit me if I continue running in that direction. His armor is a real pain too and I find it hard to hit his head.

I would also say Rathians and Rathalos but I think they just make me lose my patience easily with their annoying as shit running back and forth, flying away, and roar comboing into fireballs. Rathalos's close range grounded bite-explosion thing is legitimately hard to dodge, though. And they're both delightful compared to Cephadrome in Freedom Unite, with his "I'm going to dive under the sand and swim around aimlessly for literally 3 minutes at a time" bullshit. What the fuck.

Anura

I don't think Zinogre's all that hard--I get hit by his power up more than anything because I still don't know how it works. But when you first fight him his projectile and quick spin/slams can surprise you. Normal and Ivory Lagiacrus aren't bad either but I've had people including myself cart after getting trapped between a wall and its huge body and can't avoid its farther reaching attacks like lightning discharges, forward slither or double hipcheck. It's a failure of positioning but not one that would usually kill you if not for I. Laggy having thunderblight on so many attacks.

Agnaktor is the one I really loathe. His forward slither usually gets me before I can react to if he's aiming where I was at the start of the move or if he course corrects to hit me if I continue running in that direction. His armor is a real pain too and I find it hard to hit his head.

I would also say Rathians and Rathalos but I think they just make me lose my patience easily with their annoying as shit running back and forth, flying away, and roar comboing into fireballs. Rathalos's close range grounded bite-explosion thing is legitimately hard to dodge, though. And they're both delightful compared to Cephadrome in Freedom Unite, with his "I'm going to dive under the sand and swim around aimlessly for literally 3 minutes at a time" bullshit. What the fuck.
For Agnaktor's slide what you need to do is run one direction and right when he starts to move you 180 the other way. He will always track you in that first initial direction

For Cephadrome you really want to bring sonic bombs as it gets him out of the sand immediately (same for plessy and the water). Rathalos is also such a pain in FU IMO as he just loves to do that charge that's stupidly hard to punish. How far have you gotten on FU btw? I have alt in G rank I've recently went back to and if you have adhoc party for the PS3 we could play sometime

Brachydios has some attacks that are quick and have good range. The lunging attack and his advancing punch stomp can really damper healing. He is really fun to fight, he's a good challenge.

PKrockin

For Agnaktor's slide what you need to do is run one direction and right when he starts to move you 180 the other way. He will always track you in that first initial direction

For Cephadrome you really want to bring sonic bombs as it gets him out of the sand immediately (same for plessy and the water). Rathalos is also such a pain in FU IMO as he just loves to do that charge that's stupidly hard to punish. How far have you gotten on FU btw? I have alt in G rank I've recently went back to and if you have adhoc party for the PS3 we could play sometime
I didn't think I would actually need more than the two supply sonic bombs. Unlike with MH3U monsters who dive under the sand like Diablos, there's no tension, you just chase him around for a minute or so until you feel like an idiot for even trying and sit on your thumbs for another minute or two until he finally gets out or into a position you can hit him. :/

I'm just playing FU when I'm away from my Wii U. I just now beat Khezu, that Giggity lookalike with lightning. Capcom is seriously trolling me or something with these tail spins. Cephadrome was pretty dumb but how in the everloving fuck is Khezu limply swishing his tiny flaccid dick of a tail a good 5 feet above my head hitting me? For 40% of my health, no less. It's so dumb I actually thought he was just turning around and I got clipped by his legs or an offscreen Velociprey the first time it happened. Did you even fucking test this game, Capcom?

I didn't even know you could go online with this game. Do people still play it online? At any rate, I probably won't have a good enough connection for a while (a week or two) due to my job, but if I end up continuing to play FU, sure.

FU. Such an appropriate acronym.

Rathian/los's charge really is stupid. It should be easier to punish the exhausted version, but no, they just slide another 5 miles or so away from you and recover from it just as fast.

Brachydios has some attacks that are quick and have good range. The lunging attack and his advancing punch stomp can really damper healing. He is really fun to fight, he's a good challenge.
I agree. He felt impossible until I realized he was actually not that threatening up close so I should stay on him as much as possible. Pretty much the opposite of most monsters where keeping your distance is safe. Still puts up a good fight.

Anura

I didn't think I would actually need more than the two supply sonic bombs. Unlike with MH3U monsters who dive under the sand like Diablos, there's no tension, you just chase him around for a minute or so until you feel like an idiot for even trying and sit on your thumbs for another minute or two until he finally gets out or into a position you can hit him. :/

I'm just playing FU when I'm away from my Wii U. I just now beat Khezu, that Giggity lookalike with lightning. Capcom is seriously trolling me or something with these tail spins. Cephadrome was pretty dumb but how in the everloving fuck is Khezu limply swishing his tiny flaccid dick of a tail a good 5 feet above my head hitting me? For 40% of my health, no less. It's so dumb I actually thought he was just turning around and I got clipped by his legs or an offscreen Velociprey the first time it happened. Did you even fucking test this game, Capcom?

I didn't even know you could go online with this game. Do people still play it online? At any rate, I probably won't have a good enough connection for a while (a week or two) due to my job, but if I end up continuing to play FU, sure.

FU. Such an appropriate acronym.

Rathian/los's charge really is stupid. It should be easier to punish the exhausted version, but no, they just slide another 5 miles or so away from you and recover from it just as fast.

I agree. He felt impossible until I realized he was actually not that threatening up close so I should stay on him as much as possible. Pretty much the opposite of most monsters where keeping your distance is safe. Still puts up a good fight.

Yup that's good old freedom unite lol! The people who say "lol PS2 assets" have not even the slightest idea of just how far the series has improved.

"Adhoc Party" is a downloadable app for your PS3 that allows you to play PSP games online by tunneling through the PS3's wired connection (and wired ONLY). The English version is a glitchy un-updated mess but it's the only reasonable way to take certain PSP games online...

upandaway

Whew!

XwRiv5U.jpg

Nuts to those bottom awards, but besides those, this is it. I'm done with all weapons and S Ranks on all the Challenges too. From now on is some light chilling and helping out online once in a while.

I haven't done too many of the event quests actually, for some reason it doesn't really happen that often.

PKrockin

Yup that's good old freedom unite lol! The people who say "lol PS2 assets" have not even the slightest idea of just how far the series has improved.

"Adhoc Party" is a downloadable app for your PS3 that allows you to play PSP games online by tunneling through the PS3's wired connection (and wired ONLY). The English version is a glitchy un-updated mess but it's the only reasonable way to take certain PSP games online...
So that adhoc party is unreliable? Well I have a PS3 and an ethernet cable somewhere in a box so I can at least try it later.

I beat Gypceros now. Are all the flying monsters this awkwardly animated? His tail spin is almost as bullshit as Khezu's but I managed to roll through it for the most part because I found him pretty predictable. He sure loves to spam flashes but I managed to roll through some of them too. There's no better feeling than predicting an attack, rolling though it, and punishing.

As much shit I've been giving this game, it's just because it lacks a lot of polish and little conveniences I'm used to from 3U. Freedom Unite is still good but 3U is unquestionably superior in my mind. Let me post a few positive FU impressions:

- This may be my personal taste because I love cold mountain regions, but I love how Pokke Village and the snowy mountains areas look. That view over the water of the mountains in area 1 is gorgeous. Pokke Village's music and the fireplace-lit gathering hall never fail to make me feel cozy.

- At least in low rank, both you and the monsters do more damage than MH3U. Makes hunts more exciting if you're not great at fighting that monster yet and gets them over faster if you can dominate them.

- You fight a giant enemy crab.

- Taking the guild Bulldrome quest as my first (I didn't realize you were supposed to take quests from the elder starting out) was amazing. I'd played the MH3U demo something like a year ago and went through the tutorial so I kind of knew what I was doing, but I was completely unprepared. After having the shit beaten out of me and losing all my healing items I trekked all over the map for herbs and honey to make more potions, steaks to restore my completely depleted stamina bar, and anything else I could combine into something useful. After running away again to restock I realized I'd pretty much picked the map clean so I was forced to go back and face him with no supplies, and somehow I won. It's funny thinking back how bad I was, but at the time it felt like a battle of the ages between man and beast.

Heroman

Banned
So that adhoc party is unreliable? Well I have a PS3 and an ethernet cable somewhere in a box so I can at least try it later.

I beat Gypceros now. Are all the flying monsters this awkwardly animated? His tail spin is almost as bullshit as Khezu's but I managed to roll through it for the most part because I found him pretty predictable. He sure loves to spam flashes but I managed to roll through some of them too. There's no better feeling than predicting an attack, rolling though it, and punishing.

As much shit I've been giving this game, it's just because it lacks a lot of polish and little conveniences I'm used to from 3U. Freedom Unite is still good but 3U is unquestionably superior in my mind. Let me post a few positive FU impressions:

- This may be my personal taste because I love cold mountain regions, but I love how Pokke Village and the snowy mountains areas look. That view over the water of the mountains in area 1 is gorgeous. Pokke Village's music and the fireplace-lit gathering hall never fail to make me feel cozy.

- At least in low rank, both you and the monsters do more damage than MH3U. Makes hunts more exciting if you're not great at fighting that monster yet and gets them over faster if you can dominate them.

- You fight a giant enemy crab.

- Taking the guild Bulldrome quest as my first (I didn't realize you were supposed to take quests from the elder starting out) was amazing. I'd played the MH3U demo something like a year ago and went through the tutorial so I kind of knew what I was doing, but I was completely unprepared. After having the shit beaten out of me and losing all my healing items I trekked all over the map for herbs and honey to make more potions, steaks to restore my completely depleted stamina bar, and anything else I could combine into something useful. After running away again to restock I realized I'd pretty much picked the map clean so I was forced to go back and face him with no supplies, and somehow I won. It's funny thinking back how bad I was, but at the time it felt like a battle of the ages between man and beast.
Worst part about freedom untie is the map.

Quadratic

Setting up a room if anyone wants to join. Just random star quests. Nothing in particular. Will be online for ~2 hours.

02 Free B
Lobby 1
Neogaf

No password

PKrockin

The zones are needlessly huge and with cliffs that both take forever to traverse. And PK I absolutely love MHFU as well. MH generations all offer something different
Ah, like the environments, I thought he meant the minimap. I have noticed that as I unlock more locations they seem to have progressively more and more unnecessarily large areas. I just got to the swamp and it's the first one that's getting tedious to traverse IMO, although I'm not a big fan of the desert's layout or huge sand areas either. There wouldn't happen to be any shortcuts in this game would there?

The snowy mountains are perhaps my favorite location in the series. I just hope all the large monsters aren't restricted to the 3 summit areas. It would be fun to fight stuff in the caverns or the base too.

Another thing I'm noticing is small monsters are way more aggressive in FU. Not only that, but they respawn in a matter of seconds. Vespoids are a huge annoyance when trying to gather, and they take multiple hits. Velociprey and Bullfangos have actually made me cart twice by slamming into me after I got hit by the large monster and preventing me from dodging the large monster's next attack. In 3U they're clowns who get smacked around by large monsters for your amusement. Rhinopelos and Bullfango are the only ones who have a chance of hitting you. It's a good thing I decided against the lance in favor of the hammer in FU or else with no mobility and no sweep attack small monster would be my #1 problem.

I'm thankful there are no Felynes/Melinxes in the areas though. The meowing gets on my nerves enough already.

Anura

Ah, like the environments, I thought he meant the minimap. I have noticed that as I unlock more locations they seem to have progressively more and more unnecessarily large areas. I just got to the swamp and it's the first one that's getting tedious to traverse IMO, although I'm not a big fan of the desert's layout or huge sand areas either. There wouldn't happen to be any shortcuts in this game would there?

The snowy mountains are perhaps my favorite location in the series. I just hope all the large monsters aren't restricted to the 3 summit areas. It would be fun to fight stuff in the caverns or the base too.

Another thing I'm noticing is small monsters are way more aggressive in FU. Not only that, but they respawn in a matter of seconds. Vespoids are a huge annoyance when trying to gather, and they take multiple hits. Velociprey and Bullfangos have actually made me cart twice by slamming into me after I got hit by the large monster and preventing me from dodging the large monster's next attack. In 3U they're clowns who get smacked around by large monsters for your amusement. Rhinopelos and Bullfango are the only ones who have a chance of hitting you. It's a good thing I decided against the lance in favor of the hammer in FU or else with no mobility and no sweep attack small monster would be my #1 problem.

I'm thankful there are no Felynes/Melinxes in the areas though. The meowing gets on my nerves enough already.

"****ing bullfangos" is a battle cry for many MHFU hunters

PKrockin

That reminds me, when I first started the game I climbed up to the top of that huge cliff in area 2 of the snowy mountains and met a Bullfango for the first time. I hit it, but it didn't stagger. It charged and sent me flying allllll the way back down. "Welcome to Monster Hunter, asshole."

Anura

That reminds me, when I first started the game I climbed up to the top of that huge cliff in area 2 of the snowy mountains and met a Bullfango for the first time. I hit it, but it didn't stagger. It charged and sent me flying allllll the way back down. "Welcome to Monster Hunter, asshole."
They're the best monsters, lol.

ohlawd

aww the room's full.

dammit I need some kinda spidey sense with this room business. I'm either always checking the thread when no one's alive or there are 24234 rooms going on when I'm doing something else.

ohlawd

I got one. Love how I get all these rare items when I don't need them anymore.

After the room disbanded, I went to a room with one dude. Got 2 Durambolites for my trouble out of one quest. As usual.

bullfango are the bane of my existence

upandaway

Haha that's a famous cliff. I fell of that so many times.

PKrockin

Yep, Plesioth is grade-A bullshit. The hip check simultaneously hits every molecule of space in a 20-mile radius. Really had to fight my instincts not not just dodge behind him because that would somehow get me hit anyway. If someone has hacked the game I really need to see the hitbox. I don't know of a more broken one, aside from perhaps Snake's up tilt in Brawl. The tail spins were almost as bad since hey had even more range. After getting my ass beat for a while I decided to just camp 10-15 feet in front of his head, wait for him to beam, and then superpound his face. It became pretty easy at that point. I doubt that will work in high rank though.

tuffy

bullfango are the bane of my existence

I usually kill them on the spot. Freaking bullfangos.
I can't count the number of times I'd be lining up a shot only to be deposited at the monster's feet by a bullfango to the back. The trouble with killing them is that new ones sprout from the ground pretty quickly. I have seen them dung-bombed to good effect, though. It drives them away for awhile without bringing in new ones to cause trouble.

Heroman

Banned
Yep, Plesioth is grade-A bullshit. The hip check simultaneously hits every molecule of space in a 20-mile radius. Really had to fight my instincts not not just dodge behind him because that would somehow get me hit anyway. If someone has hacked the game I really need to see the hitbox. I don't know of a more broken one, aside from perhaps Snake's up tilt in Brawl. The tail spins were almost as bad since hey had even more range. After getting my ass beat for a while I decided to just camp 10-15 feet in front of his head, wait for him to beam, and then superpound his face. It became pretty easy at that point. I doubt that will work in high rank though.

Just gun him. He is a really easy monster with terrible hitboxes.

Pila

Yay, HR100. I guess it's my most played game of all times (top 3 definitely). If only Zin could drop this stinky skymerald...

Some dude yesterday got the skymerald from an effing shiny drop. ><

tuffy

So if I get the 3DS version does that mean I can't access any of the online quests (since I don't have a Wii U + no one to play with)?
There are no "online" quests as such. The game's broken up into two sections: the Moga Village which is all single-player only, and Tanzia Port which can be done single-player or multi-player (local for 3DS players, local or online for Wii U players). There's also free DLC quests which show up in Tanzia, but these can be done single or multi-player like all the others.

The single-player only area has over a hundred quests which is plenty of content, but the whole game can be done solo if you're dedicated enough.

There are no "online" quests as such. The game's broken up into two sections: the Moga Village which is all single-player only, and Tanzia Port which can be done single-player or multi-player (local for 3DS players, local or online for Wii U players). There's also free DLC quests which show up in Tanzia, but these can be done single or multi-player like all the others.

The single-player only area has over a hundred quests which is plenty of content, but the whole game can be done solo if you're dedicated enough.

Thanks, another question about these charm tables I've been reading about. Has that been patched or do I need to use the stopwatch method to avoid one of the cursed tables?

magnetic

The zones are needlessly huge and with cliffs that both take forever to traverse. And PK I absolutely love MHFU as well. MH generations all offer something different

Yeah, the climb up the cliff to the snow area takes forever. The maps just don´t feel as organic and natural as in the third gen games. The environments also look very drab and low detail compared to MHP3rd (which still continues to amaze me with how good it looks on such relatively old hardware).

I still keep trying to get into MHFU from time to time - I bought it on Vita - but it just feels like such a downgrade from P3rd. Even the second analog doesn´t feel like such a big plus - I used to play MH3U on the 3DS with the CCP, but after I sold my 3DS and started playing P3rd recently, using the claw actually means being able to continue attacking while controlling both the movement and the camera all at once. Uncomfortable? For sure. But highly convenient!

One of the things I really love about Monster Hunter is the feeling of being part of nature, like I´m really going on a hunt, with wildlife, flora and lush scenery around me. MHFU has a much more "videogamey" look to it.

tuffy

Thanks, another question about these charm tables I've been reading about. Has that been patched or do I need to use the stopwatch method to avoid one of the cursed tables?
Unfortunately, there are still charm tables - some of which have a better selection than others - but their importance tends to be overblown. Most of your skill points will come from the armor pieces and decorations you forge from mine-able ore and carved monster parts. If you're on a certain table, and you manage to find the right charm, and you put together a bunch of other armor pieces and decorations, then you might be able to put together a set of skills that offers a marginal improvement to your abilities.

But the player's skill is ultimately a lot more important.

Unfortunately, there are still charm tables - some of which have a better selection than others - but their importance tends to be overblown. Most of your skill points will come from the armor pieces and decorations you forge from mine-able ore and carved monster parts. If you're on a certain table, and you manage to find the right charm, and you put together a bunch of other armor pieces and decorations, then you might be able to put together a set of skills that offers a marginal improvement to your abilities.

But the player's skill is ultimately a lot more important.

I've put around 200 hours into Tri so I know how the gameplay works and how much skill factors into it.

I just don't want to be screwed in terms of charm selection.

I'm probably going to just go with the dice roll though. Don't really feel like changing the clock/using a stopwatch for timing now that I think about it more.

Quadratic

Making a room to hunt Lagiacrus mantles. Farming solo until people show up.

01 Free A
Lobby 9
Room: NeoGAF
Pass: Tri3

Will be on for a few hours.

Top Bottom