• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Pila

Well, after a whole week of desperate Zin farming I got TWO Skymeralds on a single run ^^ I can't believe it's random, there must be some sadistic algorithm in the code. It wants your bitter tears before dropping stuff, I was actually almost crying.

PKrockin

Whew, I finally saw the end credits of 3U. Now to get to G-Rank--I'm still HR5.

Black Diablos is much harder to deal with on a lance set that has Guard +1 compared to my horn and Evasion +1. That speed boost he gets in rage mode is insane.

Pila

Yeah she's pretty fast when she's in rage.

Do you already know about the sonic bomb? When she's not in rage you can throw a sonic bomb at her while she's underground, with the right timing you can trap her for a few seconds. Too bad she's pretty much always furious. I found out about this sonic bomb thing pretty late and now I always have to tell people about it. ^^

tuffy

Do you already know about the sonic bomb? When she's not in rage you can throw a sonic bomb at her while she's underground, with the right timing you can trap her for a few seconds. Too bad she's pretty much always furious. I found out about this sonic bomb thing pretty late and now I always have to tell people about it. ^^
It took me a long time to learn that myself because I don't use items as much as I should.

But what you might not know is that flash bombs are also equally handy for getting some free hits. After sonic bombing Black Diablos out of the ground, she'll get out of the hole by flying vertically for a brief period. If you flash bomb at that point, you'll get a mid-air flinch and she'll come crashing down again. This also works with pitfall traps, naturally.

Pila

It took me a long time to learn that myself because I don't use items as much as I should.

But what you might not know is that flash bombs are also equally handy for getting some free hits. After sonic bombing Black Diablos out of the ground, she'll get out of the hole by flying vertically for a brief period. If you flash bomb at that point, you'll get a mid-air flinch and she'll come crashing down again. This also works with pitfall traps, naturally.

You know, the first time a fellow hunter did this awesome move during a fight I was in my 60s and I never knew it was possible (3U is my first one). You really have a lot to learn if you take this game seriously, it's been incredibly rewarding so far.

PKrockin

I know you can sonic bomb it, and in fact I tried to a few times, but I just still don't know the timing. It's a combination of wanting to "save" them, forgetting to bring them (along with hot drinks, demondrugs, nulberries...), and often not having enough stones/iron ore to make bomb casing.

I also didn't quite realize until I was pretty much done with low rank that the supply items are a blatant hint at what the monster is weak to. They give you items that you can't keep anyway, encouraging you to experiment and discover when to use them. The thing was I was hammering at the time so I hardly sheathed. I would rather charge up for the next super pound.

I still flash the hell out of Rathian/Rathalos because fuck them.

Anura

I know you can sonic bomb it, and in fact I tried to a few times, but I just still don't know the timing. It's a combination of wanting to "save" them, forgetting to bring them (along with hot drinks, demondrugs, nulberries...), and often not having enough stones/iron ore to make bomb casing.

I also didn't quite realize until I was pretty much done with low rank that the supply items are a blatant hint at what the monster is weak to. They give you items that you can't keep anyway, encouraging you to experiment and discover when to use them. The thing was I was hammering at the time so I hardly sheathed. I would rather charge up for the next super pound.

I still flash the hell out of Rathian/Rathalos because fuck them.

Something you might want to know is that flash bombs are broken in MHFU. Some monster might go into a blind rage (narga, blango, rajang and garuga) but for most everything else they just sit there dumbfounded and occasionally try to tail sweep or bite.

Bring them and use them ALOT.

Mephala

For "Save Moga Village!" you need to break his beard in the first phase of the fight before the end of the tunnel so focus on that. You'll know when it's broken because he'll recoil like crazy and there'll be little bits of beard flying around.

For the second phase, make sure to break the larger horn before time runs out to guarantee a repel. The easiest way to do this is trade with the Argosy Captain for 10 "UW Ballista Ammo" shots. Then hop on the ballista and unload them on Ceadeus' big horn when he comes in close. Once that's done, you can spend the rest of the fight hitting him with your weapon and avoiding his occasional attacks. If you do enough damage, you may drive him off even before time expires.

Thanks for the tips. I failed the quest twice, first time I didn't break the beard, then I didn't do enough damage. On the third trip I lured him to the dragonator (finally found it!) and repelled him almost immediately.

And I thought Lao Shan Lung was a boring fight. Damn this fish.

I seem to be moving into High rank now. Are there any recommended armor sets I should aim for? I mostly use Lance, GS, LS and SnS. Oh and the hammers because I'm so used to them for things like Rathians from MHFU.

tuffy

Thanks for the tips. I failed the quest twice, first time I didn't break the beard, then I didn't do enough damage. On the third trip I lured him to the dragonator (finally found it!) and repelled him almost immediately.

And I thought Lao Shan Lung was a boring fight. Damn this fish.
That long, slow tunnel swim is the worst. He can't even be killed there, so if you do too much damage you'll still have to swim all the way to the end before finishing him off in the main room.
I seem to be moving into High rank now. Are there any recommended armor sets I should aim for? I mostly use Lance, GS, LS and SnS. Oh and the hammers because I'm so used to them for things like Rathians from MHFU.
Volvidon S is available once you hit the 7 star quests. That offers Attack Up (M), Evasion +1, Tremor Resistance and 5 slots. Those are all pretty handy in general and Volvidon isn't too hard to farm. That should last until the end of High rank when some better sets turn up like Rath Soul.

Mephala

Volvidon S is available once you hit the 7 star quests. That offers Attack Up (M), Evasion +1, Tremor Resistance and 5 slots. Those are all pretty handy in general and Volvidon isn't too hard to farm. That should last until the end of High rank when some better sets turn up like Rath Soul.

Just what I needed. Thanks.

Kazerei

Banned
I finally did it, I got all the awards in the game! And I didn't use any of the shortcuts like crown locking or making duplicate weapons. I'm so proud of myself, this is my greatest gaming accomplishment ever. It only took 984 hours of dedication :')

This weekend I booted the game back up for the first time in many months. I've been messing around with some new weapons in LR rooms. Pretty good times. I probably should get back to my main weapon and finally go beyond Rank 7, but I've had a few too many failures under my belt to even want to consider attempting this again.

Either way, subscribed to the thread again for when some people are up for a hunt. (European evenings)

I finally did it, I got all the awards in the game! And I didn't use any of the shortcuts like crown locking or making duplicate weapons. I'm so proud of myself, this is my greatest gaming accomplishment ever. It only took 984 hours of dedication :')
Impressive work! Can't even imagine getting even close to that.

So I've had the 3ds one for a while, but only put in around 10 hours, have the Great Jaggi armour set and Great Jaggi Duel Blades and Switch Axe (my current weapons of choice). I got the WiiU version as my Mario Kart 8 promo game so I can play in HD and online, but I'm not really sure how online works*. I've added myself to the google document so would love to find some people to hunt monsters with/learn to be better at the game with. I've finally twigged how important making and bring my own supplies is for hunts and to not rely on the guild stuff. Currently I take: Mega Potions, Whetstones and Herbs. What else is good basic, always have on you stuff?

*This may be due to stinking hay fever/summer cold related sinus problems

tuffy

So I've had the 3ds one for a while, but only put in around 10 hours, have the Great Jaggi armour set and Great Jaggi Duel Blades and Switch Axe (my current weapons of choice). I got the WiiU version as my Mario Kart 8 promo game so I can play in HD and online, but I'm not really sure how online works*. I've added myself to the google document so would love to find some people to hunt monsters with/learn to be better at the game with. I've finally twigged how important making and bring my own supplies is for hunts and to not rely on the guild stuff. Currently I take: Mega Potions, Whetstones and Herbs. What else is good basic, always have on you stuff?

*This may be due to stinking hay fever/summer cold related sinus problems
Online is pretty straightforward, actually. It's divided up into different worlds (like "Free", "Novice", "Expert", "G Rank", etc.), each world has a bunch of lobbies and each lobby is full of rooms. Anybody can make a room and up to 3 other people can join. Then anybody in the room can post quests, other people can take those quests and everybody works together to complete it.

I take a whole bunch of stuff on every quest, usually:
  • 10 potions
  • 10 mega potions
  • 10 antidotes
  • 5 hot drinks
  • 5 cold drinks
  • 2 max potions
  • 1 ancient potion
  • 3 lifepowders
  • 10 well-done steaks
  • 10 dung bombs
  • 1 pitfall trap
  • 1 shock trap
  • paint shots
  • tranq shots
  • combination books 1-4
  • ammunition
and that usually leaves a page open for monster carves, which is enough in most cases.

monhan is actually a good ol multiplayer game, you need people to play with. just remember to try to stick to your job.

Lemme clarify: if you're wielding a hammer: go and knock the shit out of the monsters face.

Gunner? either status or just stay as safe as you can.

switch axe, longsword, dual blades: Tail cutting.

Lance, gunlance: i don't even know if they have a job ... maybe prick huge monstes tummy? try to cut tail?

Hunting horn: just like the hammer.

Also, try to avoid using atacks that bump other players cuz that'll make them not happy

Anura

Lance, gunlance: i don't even know if they have a job ... maybe prick huge monstes tummy? try to cut tail?

Does anyone here play lance besides me? Lol they're like one of my favorite classes and the first weapon I learned.

Lance should be set up on the safe spots around monsters (or away from others) and keep in mind that what's safe for lance might be unsafe for other weapons and vice versa. For example right in front of the raths is actually very safe when guard lancing and coming at the head from an angle for evade lancing. Gunlance needs to be wary of when they shoot off their guns. Picking spots that don't do much damage to a monster but break are a pretty good spot for GL as the other players tend not to hang out there (like narga wings). Oh and keep away from the feet for your own good...

Also don't expect other players to move for you if you come in to attack a monster. It's nice if they do but expecting them to move all the time is kinda rude when you invade their space... Some don't even care of they trip you up...

Essentially it all boils down to just trying to stay away from other people when lancing in groups

Anura

hell yeah I do.

according to my weapon stat log thing, I have 0 uses with everything except lances at 500+, hammers at 100+, GS and LS at 30-50.

According to my card I got:
213 GS
324 LS
179 SnS
286 DS
431 hammer
27 HH
504 lance
196 GL
100 SA
164 LBG
437HBG
196 bow

And my JP one has:
37 GS
111 LS
36 SnS
387 DS
207 hammer
9 HH
252 lance
16 GL
112 SA
11 LBG
8 HBG
109 bow

Kinda surprised at my Bow gun usage for my JP game as they are usually higher... but coming off MHFU and P3rd in which I frequently gunned I can't say I don't understand why lol

Pila

Impressive, congratulations.

Turns room, yesterday. Some hunter posted the l. narga quest, I thought: "Well, I wouldn't mind a moonshard I guess...". Boom, got it. ^^

I'm still studying the hammer, it's pretty difficult to avoid friendly fire when there is another hamma user :\ oh well, when I'll get 100 hammer usages I'll start another weapon. Currently I'm at 50 I think.

If I'm going to bowgun how many combo books should I bring with me?

I'm not doing it right now because I want to farm up more berry's so I can combine ammo in the field since my first time bowgunning was pretty bad when I eventually had to rely on Normal Lv1 to finish (I hear you may as well quit the quest if it comes down to this).

Anura

If I'm going to bowgun how many combo books should I bring with me?

I'm not doing it right now because I want to farm up more berry's so I can combine ammo in the field since my first time bowgunning was pretty bad when I eventually had to rely on Normal Lv1 to finish (I hear you may as well quit the quest if it comes down to this).

3 covers most shots if you are low on inventory space but 4 will let you make them all

tuffy

4 combination books brings the success rates of just about every shot to 100%. In addition, almost every sort of ammo combine material eventually shows up in Granny Go-To's rotating stock list over in Port Tanzia. This is especially convenient for all those fish which take awhile to get even using the fishing fleet.

Impressive, congratulations.

Turns room, yesterday. Some hunter posted the l. narga quest, I thought: "Well, I wouldn't mind a moonshard I guess...". Boom, got it. ^^

I'm still studying the hammer, it's pretty difficult to avoid friendly fire when there is another hamma user :\ oh well, when I'll get 100 hammer usages I'll start another weapon. Currently I'm at 50 I think.

well, i needed the moonshards, and boom, got them. 3. At the same time yesterday.

PKrockin

Does anyone here play lance besides me? Lol they're like one of my favorite classes and the first weapon I learned.

Lances are my second best weapon.

Horn: 144
Lance: 115
Hammer: 57
Bow: 24

Online I'm playing horn a lot more for the buffs and because the lance doesn't have trip resistance. I'll be hanging out in roughly the same spot stabbing a monster for ages and the 10,000 dual blades/longswords online will run up and stunlock me and there's nothing I can do about it. I'd rather get launched by hammers.

jercruz

Lance should be set up on the safe spots around monsters (or away from others) and keep in mind that what's safe for lance might be unsafe for other weapons and vice versa. For example right in front of the raths is actually very safe when guard lancing and coming at the head from an angle for evade lancing. Gunlance needs to be wary of when they shoot off their guns. Picking spots that don't do much damage to a monster but break are a pretty good spot for GL as the other players tend not to hang out there (like narga wings). Oh and keep away from the feet for your own good...

Also don't expect other players to move for you if you come in to attack a monster. It's nice if they do but expecting them to move all the time is kinda rude when you invade their space... Some don't even care of they trip you up...

Essentially it all boils down to just trying to stay away from other people when lancing in groups

I used to evade lance with a dash of counter lancing (sharp+1, evade+1, guard+2), but I noticed that its not the same as Tri (3U seemed to have gimped lances). Also noticed that lancers are uncommon in 3U, most of them love LS which trips me a lot. So I don't lance often now.

In GL, I almost always do upward shoots since it can really mess up other players.

I got confronted with my first Kelbi-room the other day. I'm sure it's efficient and easy, but talk about a dull fight. It was just three dudes standing there trying to stun lock a an ivory Lagiacrus. I figured I'd go for the tail, but I couldn't do enough damage to it before the match was over. Bleh.

I've dabbled in lances, but I think I prefer them in single player, which is where I haven't put a lot of time. Like you said, it can be be tricky to stay out of other people's way, when you're constantly up in the monster's business at all times. I can be reasonably courteous with only one more player in the mix, but in a 3 or 4 person rumble things can get a bit chaotic.

tuffy

I got confronted with my first Kelbi-room the other day. I'm sure it's efficient and easy, but talk about a dull fight. It was just three dudes standing there trying to stun lock a an ivory Lagiacrus. I figured I'd go for the tail, but I couldn't do enough damage to it before the match was over. Bleh.
Ivory Lagiacrus is such a pushover that it hardly seems necessary to use Kelbi slime spam to beat him. Four people using just about anything should be able bring him down in a few minutes.

It's like beating Abyssal Lagiacrus by shooting through that little window. He's not really harder than any of the other 8 star subspecies so cheesy tactics aren't required to kill him in about 10 minutes with a good group. A good stand-up fight gets me monster parts and lets me preserve my dignity at the same time.

I see. I guess I'll visit the port and see if I can gather some supplies for ammo.

And does anyone have tips for the gunlance? I tried it a few days ago and I had no idea how you're supposed to use it effectively.

Anura

I used to evade lance with a dash of counter lancing (sharp+1, evade+1, guard+2), but I noticed that its not the same as Tri (3U seemed to have gimped lances). Also noticed that lancers are uncommon in 3U, most of them love LS which trips me a lot. So I don't lance often now.

In GL, I almost always do upward shoots since it can really mess up other players.

The issue is that they nerfed the amount of time you have before you have to input another attack. Like in tri you have a lot if time after you poke to decide to back hop out or not but it's drastically reduced here.

Luckily it's back in 4!

PKrockin

I see. I guess I'll visit the port and see if I can gather some supplies for ammo.

And does anyone have tips for the gunlance? I tried it a few days ago and I had no idea how you're supposed to use it effectively.
I got stuck with the Gunlance in a group arena quest once and got my ass kicked despite playing the lance a lot. It feels like it's got a different playstyle.

So what should be my general game plan, as I'm starting to get in to it properly. I'm at the level 3 single player quests, 2 left (trap a Qudrepeco and kill a Giant Ludroth). Should I just be doing each quest once?

Should I be going out in to the free hunt areas between them to gather random materials? How do I find where to get more materials I need? What should I be focusing on right now I guess is my overall question. It's all still rather overwhelming.

tuffy

So what should be my general game plan, as I'm starting to get in to it properly. I'm at the level 3 single player quests, 2 left (trap a Qudrepeco and kill a Giant Ludroth). Should I just be doing each quest once?

Should I be going out in to the free hunt areas between them to gather random materials? How do I find where to get more materials I need? What should I be focusing on right now I guess is my overall question. It's all still rather overwhelming.
Just keep doing quests as they appear and you'll be fine. You're only required to complete any particular quest once, but almost all quests allow you to go back and do them again if you need more monster materials. Some quests are "key", in that they're required in order to proceed, but it's good practice to do even the optional ones for the experience.

If the game tells you that you need "3 Arzuros Butts" or something in order to forge some item, feel free to look it up on Kiranico in order to figure out where you should be looking or what you should be hunting in order to get it. The sheer number of different monster parts, plants, fish and ores can be a little overwhelming at first, so don't be afraid to look up the best places to find stuff you need.

I got stuck with the Gunlance in a group arena quest once and got my ass kicked despite playing the lance a lot. It feels like it's got a different playstyle.

Yeah I have no idea what's an effect combo to use. Like should I fire off a shot after every attack? Fire multiple shots in a row? And then there's that hyper beam move when you press X+A while blocking.

Very different from the lance which is pretty straight-forward.

PKrockin

Just got to G-rank, went out on a harvest tour, and almost got my shit wrecked by a Great Jaggi. lol

I'm really going to need some new armor for G-rank.

Anura

Just got to G-rank, went out on a harvest tour, and almost got my shit wrecked by a Great Jaggi. lol

I'm really going to need some new armor for G-rank.
Lol Grats!
Yeah I have no idea what's an effect combo to use. Like should I fire off a shot after every attack? Fire multiple shots in a row? And then there's that hyper beam move when you press X+A while blocking.

Very different from the lance which is pretty straight-forward.

Shots should be used to chain combos together and shouldn't really be done in a row for most monsters and shot types (and even then it's not the default shot that you would be doing in a row). Start with poke>poke>shot>poke>poke>shot etc... And then learn the other stuff it can do and chain into from there

upandaway

There's a good set of SocialDissonance tutorials on Gunlances here. I've played GL a bunch before and it's really fun, I hate Wide though.

Also main lances (for whatever that's worth when I play almost all weapons). I digressed a bit in 3U for GS and DS, but I still do my best with a lance.
I never ever ever do an underwater quest with anything but a lance.

Top Bottom