• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Fistwell

In other dumb questions, what's with that pink ian quest? Any HR4 room I made it into yesterday, that was seemingly about the only quest anyone was willing to run. Is that like the urgent or is it an event or something?

She hit hard and had a decent pool of hp, but being predictable as hell, it wasn't much of a challenge (provided we didnt have a guy wiping out times and again, which did happen in a cple of rooms).

panda21

how do i even set my cat to take with? I got as far as the
caravan
and whenever i talk to my cat in the house theres just some dialogue and then no menu or anything.

did i just not unlock that yet?

Anura

In other dumb questions, what's with that pink ian quest? Any HR4 room I made it into yesterday, that was seemingly about the only quest anyone was willing to run. Is that like the urgent or is it an event or something?

She hit hard and had a decent pool of hp, but being predictable as hell, it wasn't much of a challenge (provided we didnt have a guy wiping out times and again, which did happen in a cple of rooms).

That's the HR5 urgent alright! I also wish you guys would rank faster, I want some help farming teo and white magara!

Edit to the person with aoashira icon: there should be a message board thing in the back of your hut. The first option is the one you want if I remember right

Ken

how do i even set my cat to take with? I got as far as the
caravan
and whenever i talk to my cat in the house theres just some dialogue and then no menu or anything.

did i just not unlock that yet?

back of the carvan is a bulletin board thing

it's the first option (i think); hit left and make a red cat paw show up on your cat's profile

---

oh man I love the charge axe now. stylish sidestep of the lance on sns, great animations on the axe

out of curiosity is there any axe combo that consumes all 5 charges?

Fistwell

That's the HR5 urgent alright! I also wish you guys would rank faster, I want some help farming teo and white magara!
Yeah well, I wish I could rank up faster as well! =)
There didn't seem to be anybody on yesterday all day, and playing with randoms isn't exactly very productive on average.

It's best to at least make an armor set before jumping online, or you'll get destroyed easily.

As for me, I'll maybe play a bit tonight online with a friend but other than that, I prefer advancing the story mode so I can get A) experience on bosses and B) better armors to rock online afterwards.
So I guess I'll be stuck at HR2 for a bit more time now.

Ken

It's best to at least make an armor set before jumping online, or you'll get destroyed easily.

As for me, I'll maybe play a bit tonight online with a friend but other than that, I prefer advancing the story mode so I can get A) experience on bosses and B) better armors to rock online afterwards.
So I guess I'll be stuck at HR2 for a bit more time now.

is jaggi armor still worth making for blademasters? or is there a new early hot armor to get.

is jaggi armor still worth making for blademasters? or is there a new early hot armor to get.

Well the good thing with it is you get 50def, half chance of getting dizzy, and quick use of wetstones. I made it, and got to 4* Village with it (at that point I chose to make Neruskiura's armor for better def and 2 skills for easier capture of monsters).

Shurayuki

Well, played a LOT of SP these last days, it's pretty daunting. Some of my story.

Tied up the airu storyline, netting my cat quite a nice set of weap/armor, about twice as powerful as what I had given them (didn't give Monyan expeditions the attention they deserved heh). Then pulled out 'excalibur' if you want to call it that, but since I'm married to LS/Staff can't really use this SnS. No idea if the dmg on it is good, but the sharpness is.

Got my ass handed to me by online urgent Shaggy Magara, even timed out. Then I listened to my own advice: ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, and bam, yes, it went down, within a nice timeframe to boot. With the Staff you just have to keep attacking (also changed my airu crew to full Fighter for the attack buffs, can't keep chucking drinks the whole fight).
(♥o♥) that armor looks so nice, I just have to have it, those wings!
*walks down the red carpet* "Wo are you wearing today?" "Oh it's just Shaggy Magara! "

Kicked Goa's face a few time because I couldn't for the life of me get his advanced horn, though in the end got myself a nice Goa armor combination (having to realize using mostly low rank armor got me easier skills), and since I didn't need the breastpiece a nice upgraded Goa Rod with its sapphire.

Guess I am at that point where in 3G you had finished the single player high rank, with the bonus fights which where G rank. Finally got the gold clear on village 6Star. Only thing left is a new urgent. Now that quest looks to be a pain in the cuttable-body-part:
Zinogre and Rajan and Shaggy Magara, did I mention it has a virus symbol

So yeah, we should play a bit online for a change haha, trying to not do stupid hours like the last week but meh. Need to farm that Shagster Maggy armor with ya Anura!

In other you-might-not-know news (as in "Shura's slow and realized late"), for every Airu of the same Trend you have in your 5 cat loadout, your main cat gets those trend skills.
Edit: Actually the info is up on the wiki, might give a small summary of that for people with trouble reading? post so I don't DP hehe.

Hedge

Can anyone tell me what armor that chest piece is from?
The one with the odd wings?
I've never seen a monster who looks like that.

Also, don't click the link if you don't want to be spoiled on armor looks, or such.

Linky linky

Bonus question: I've read somewhere that there are four bug types you can get with the Insect Staff - beyond the yellow beetle and the white moth, which others? I haven't seen others at all.

Shurayuki

So cat skills for your Leader cat:
The (5) cat skills only apply to the main cat. You gain these skills by putting (x) amount of cats with the trend in your team.

Fighter (ファイト): (2) attack-up flute (3) cat gets pierce boomerang (4) stronger attack-up flute (5) 会/critical up
Guard (ガード ): (2) defense-up flute (3) nothing (4) stronger defense-up flute (5) gain ability to guard against attacks you usually can't (there was an armor skill like that?!, prolly same)
Assist (アシスト ): (2) cat rarely sets a shock trap (3) cat indicates location and status of large monsters (like Autotracking armor skill) (4) cat lays trap more often, maximum number of uses increases (5) short rest/evacuation time
Restoration (回復): (2) heal spell (3) poison and odor heal spell (4) bigger heal spell (5) drops better item when evacuating
Bomber (ボマー): (2) puts a bomb on a trap set by the partner airu (3) makes cats attack with only bombs (4) uses large bombs when angry (5) uses Grank bombs when angry
Bundori (item snatching) ぶんどり: (2) cats get big boomerang and boomerang power up (3) cats attack only with boomerang (4) cats get targeted less by enemies (5) item snatching gets better
Treasure Hunting (宝探し): (2) cats harvest faster (3) cats stop attacking and only harvest (4) cats find harvesting spots more easily (5) 'special' harvesting stronger, can collect consecutively

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/112.html

♥♪♥♪

Edit: Hedge, thats the Shaggy Maggy Armor (シャガル マガラ). High rank that is, note the small wings the low rank one has if you have that.
About the bugs, I'm not sue how many there are, I think there might be more than 4 more:
2 inital bugs, Cut and Impact
Level 4 Rod gives you the choice between 4 Drones: (Power) (Stamina) (Speed) (Mixed)
Level 7 Rod gives 2 choices again: (^ the type you chose above) (Mixed)

cafemomo

nooooo i waited too long :(
LxRgrER.png

Hedge

Edit: Hedge, thats the Shaggy Maggy Armor (シャガル マガラ). High rank that is, note the small wings the low rank one has if you have that.
About the bugs, I'm not sue how many there are, I think there might be more than 4 more:
2 inital bugs, Cut and Impact
Level 4 Rod gives you the choice between 4 Drones: (Power) (Stamina) (Speed) (Mixed)
Level 7 Rod gives 2 choices again: (^ the type you chose above) (Mixed)

Right, thank you very much! :p

Toxi

Banned
nooooo i waited too long :(
LxRgrER.png
I find the disconnect between the cute kitties and the rest of the game's setting so bizarre.

Then I remember that some of the kitties are assholes.

I'm enjoying 3 Ultimate on the 3DS. Not as difficult as it was getting into the first game on the PS2, although that might be because I'm older.

Shurayuki

For Zornica and other hunters who are interested in Evasion gear, the 49.atwiki has one in it's recommended armor section (#7), high rank only though. Should be doable at HR5+.

Equipment is a bit silly though.

Head: Torso double gear : Skull line (SkullHead / Skullface , lotta bones and firecell stone)
Torso: Narga Mail* :ナルガメイル (from item exchange zinogre shell + plate/gekirin, khezu skin)
Arm: anything
Bottom: Torso double gear : Gabura Suitbelt line ガブラスーツベルト or Chrome Metal Coil line クロムメタルコイル
Legs: Torso double gear : Gabura S Greave line ガブラSグリーブ

Without the arm they note this should give you Evasion +12 , Evasion Range +8, 匠/Sharpness +8 , Stamina -8.
If you pair that with a 匠 +2 Arm like the Seltas セルタス or Gizami ギザミ lines you can invoke that too and get sharpness +1 (have to watch out with the combo because of stamina -8).
They advise to use the Torso slot with an Evasion Gem, weapon and amulet+slots to get for example speed sharpening too, you will probably decide that from what amulets you have (don't forget to smelt them in the last town, got some good ones there personally, esp. the highest/4th smelting option).

Final result: Evasion2 , Evasion Range Up , Sharpness +1 , (Speed Sharpener or whatever)

♥♪♥♪
I'll list the quests and their prerequisites starting with the one that gives the Narga Mail:

All normal village 5★ quests:
天空山の支配者たち - Rathalos + Zinogre - get from talking to old guy
^
無双の狩人 - Zinogre - get from talking to Shinato Village elder
^
高難度:不穏の幕開け - Babakonga - get after arriving at Shinato Village for the first time and talking to village elder

panda21

damn this game is so good :D

is there a good early insect staff? (like a monster one) I only just did tetuskybara or whatever its called. I'm working on the kecha wacha hunting horn, and using the starting insect staff upgraded twice

Ken

Where do I go to fish for the 2* blue fish quest? And what bait shoudl I use? It's like the dreaded goldfish quest all over again.

Shurayuki

damn this game is so good :D

is there a good early insect staff? (like a monster one) I only just did tetuskybara or whatever its called. I'm working on the kecha wacha hunting horn, and using the starting insect staff upgraded twice

Since much of the customization of what the staff does lies within the hunting insect, there's not that many staffs/rods in the game. Here's a page with all of the staff info, there's only
of them in the first place.
With your spider materials you should be able to make a Sneak (?) Rod スニークロッド, which does poison dmg but still has the impact insect.

Also looking at that list for the first time, there's actually an
explosion element
staff, wooo.
But it's from the finalest of final enemies, boo this rod :(

Where do I go to fish for the 2* blue fish quest? And what bait shoudl I use? It's like the dreaded goldfish quest all over again.

Ah, I remember having trouble with this too, had to look it up because I wasn't thinkiing it could be there (even though I had seen the fish there). It should be area 10, the "secret" airu cave, its Sahimiuo you're looking for, so you can use Sashimi bait (doesn't the quest give some to you even?) to get only sashimi. It's also made from 釣りフィーバエ + bug remains (from honey spot) 虫の死骸.

panda21

does this have lobbies like MH3U? I can't even figure out how to get online

i need to go to bed soon anyway but wondering how to get in the beginners lobby..

Fistwell

Hey do you want to farm shaggy magara or whatever his name is with me?
That was fun, although a little too easy. What was it with you guys dying left and right. ;)
Anyways, sry I couldnt stay, got to get up in the morning. Have fun!

does this have lobbies like MH3U? I can't even figure out how to get online

i need to go to bed soon anyway but wondering how to get in the beginners lobby..
1) Press the blue button, bottom left on touch screen (world map),
2) Press the middle rectangle in the line on top of bottom screen,
3) Following menu is like: (top) offline, (middle) local, (bottom) online, choose online,
4) Next menu is (top) make a room, (middle) find a room, (bottom) play monhun4 with based gaf friends.

Mr. Fix

So is the exchange armor different from rusted? I see the Daimyo Hermitaur armor set on Kogath's page, and I'm wondering if these sets are actually viable(or high rank at least). Have any of you dabbled with it, and do they allow for the creation of all of a monster's armor/weapons? Or just select ones?

Anura

That was fun, although a little too easy. What was it with you guys dying left and right. ;)
Anyways, sry I couldnt stay, got to get up in the morning. Have fun!

1) Press the blue button, bottom left on touch screen (world map),
2) Press the middle rectangle in the line on top of bottom screen,
3) Following menu is like: (top) offline, (middle) local, (bottom) online, choose online,
4) Next menu is (top) make a room, (middle) find a room, (bottom) play monhun4 with based gaf friends.

When I died it was because those random ground explosion comboing me into stun it was dumb

Darvan

Damn I know it's been less than a year since MH3U but I really wish this was announced for coming state side. I really can't afford to buy an import system and the game with the PS4 just weeks away.

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Damn I know it's been less than a year since MH3U but I really wish this was announced for coming state side. I really can't afford to buy an import system and the game with the PS4 just weeks away.

If Capcom doesn't bring it over, which would suprise the hell outta me, I can't imagine Nintendo themselves wouldn't localize it.

la_briola

I have like 15+ cats. Some of them feel down/sad, or something. They have 1-2 paws. I guess they are unhappy or exhausted? How do I improve this?

Zornica

Banned
is there any way to influence your trading options?
no narga stuff to trade for yet. do I just need certain parts for it to pop up? do I need to progress until a certain point in the game? something entirely different?

Top Bottom