• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Tenbatsu

After watching quite a few MH4 streams, I realize how BS the Goa Magara TGS event is. 15 minutes with some initial versions of each weapon?! How is that even close to possible?!
Those are customized just for the TGS demo. Same goes for that Tri demo that comes with MHG.

panda21

So when I jump on a monster I mash X as fast as possible, but when am I supposed to hammer R? When he starts to rage? From the beginning? And should I press X and R at the same time or only R?

I have a rather low efficieny rate in scoring downs with this, but afaik it is also monster-related?

I just hold R and hammer x, I don't know what you're supposed to do though. What even is the meter??

Anura

I just hold R and hammer x, I don't know what you're supposed to do though. What even is the meter??

If the monster head icon reaches the end of the blue bar you get bucked off and if the blue bar reaches the end through pressing the X button you win

R is to hold on should be used when the monster is roaring/struggling and when the monster head icon turns blue again you can mash X

Sarcasm

Is anybody playing this on a non-XL 3ds? SO close to borrowing this 3DS which is a first gen.

Also the wikia seems to have most quests..but what else do yea guys use? I also looked at that blog linked in OP.

Zenaku

Is anybody playing this on a non-XL 3ds? SO close to borrowing this 3DS which is a first gen.

Also the wikia seems to have most quests..but what else do yea guys use? I also looked at that blog linked in OP.

Using an OG 3DS with CCP here, and it looks and plays great.

I just google for info, if I need it.

Sarcasm

It has been awhile since I played MH (I stopped at PSP version of the latest JP one p3rd) so it would be a learning curve again.

I am tempted to pick up the white MH4 3DS LL but I want to play Animal Crossing..I don't know how fun that would be in JP though.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The Rathalos Charge Axe looks swag as hell!

BUxhOkzCAAAQclE.jpg

Sarcasm

Guys guys..I am looking for justification on buying a system that is region locked in a non-native language for just one game...lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've played it for 10+ hours on an OG 3DS without the CPP and had no problems, the game was enjoyable enough.
That said, I've bought an XL last week and it's much better. :p

Lio

Banned
Guys guys..I am looking for justification on buying a system that is region locked in a non-native language for just one game...lol

Stop worrying about localization games and buy one. I did it and have no regrets. Tomodachi Collection, Dragon Quest VII, Terry's Wonderland, Youkai Watch, Digimon Decode, japanese eshop, MH4, etc.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The Rathalos Charge Axe looks swag as hell!

Damn that is nice. I still need to upgrade mine further. Been falling back to the tried & true weapons in the mean time as I collect more junk for upgrades to armor and weapons. D:

I've played it for 10+ hours on an OG 3DS without the CPP and had no problems, the game was enjoyable enough.
That said, I've bought an XL last week and it's much better. :p

Your eyesight will thank you most def lol. I used to play 3G on a normal too till the LL came out anyways. Now cant go back to normal for anything D:

Meesh

Myself, I don't know Japanese but I preordered 2 MH4 bundles just for this game.(still waiting on one) I wouldn't personally dl animal crossing on my LL, but just browsing the Japanese Eshop there seems to be all kinds of games that use minimal language that a noob like me could get into. If you love MH, you'll do the right thing ;) lol

Akainu

I was just thinking. One of the things that annoy me about monster hunter is that some things would start attacking you for no reason only because the monster you happened to be fighting touched them felynes for example does that still happen?

Fistwell

I was just thinking. One of the things that annoy me about monster hunter is that some things would start attacking you for no reason only because the monster you happened to be fighting touched them felynes for example does that still happen?
It does. If I had 1z everytime a rhenoplos rammed me up the butt...>_<

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I can confirm that the pumpkin is a byproduct of the farm.
Not sure if the fertilizer played a role, as I forgot which one I used.

Yep its always been that way for the most part. Do think its really more just random than anything. When you use fertilizer all that does is increase the amount of items received in past games. Have not gotten the farm yet in this game, but if the functionality is the same thats generally what it should do.

Kill everything else and problem solved.

Finally completed my Goa set, gemmed out the negative fire resistance skill (-40 on the armor is really bad itself) and think it looks bad ass.

la_briola

Yep its always been that way for the most part. Do think its really more just random than anything. When you use fertilizer all that does is increase the amount of items received in past games. Have not gotten the farm yet in this game, but if the functionality is the same thats generally what it should do.

Kill everything else and problem solved.

The farm is the old man with the key, are you sure you don't have it yet? Are you only playing online?

KiTA

Stop worrying about localization games and buy one. I did it and have no regrets. Tomodachi Collection, Dragon Quest VII, Terry's Wonderland, Youkai Watch, Digimon Decode, japanese eshop, MH4, etc.

I got one, but only have Terry's Wonderland. Need to look into the eShop.

Is MH4 in the eShop? I wonder if it's import-friendly to someone who isn't bilingual.

Also: Any word on the breakdown on weapon usage in MH4? I never was able to decide in MH3U (stuck with Dual Swords but hated it), kinda interested how the two new weapons are panning out. The videos I've seen of insect staff look pretty awesome.

panda21

i'm guessing most of those are only playable if you are fluent though?

I am tempted to pick up the white MH4 3DS LL but I want to play Animal Crossing..I don't
know how fun that would be in JP though.

I think monster hunter alone is worth it though given that most people put in 100+ hours. looking at it purely from a time vs money aspect its pretty good..

but I can't imagine animal crossing being that good if you don't understand any of the dialogue..

I got one, but only have Terry's Wonderland. Need to look into the eShop.

Is MH4 in the eShop? I wonder if it's import-friendly to someone who isn't bilingual.

Also: Any word on the breakdown on weapon usage in MH4? I never was able to decide in MH3U (stuck with Dual Swords but hated it), kinda interested how the two new weapons are panning out. The videos I've seen of insect staff look pretty awesome.

is terry's wonderland playable if you don't speak any japanese?

I can read almost no japanese (basically yes and no) but MH4 is pretty easy to pick up especially if you played MH3U and check the menu translation. Apart from the early quests where you have to fetch specific items, most of the quests are just kill this monster so its pretty easy to figure out what to do...

I'm enjoying insect stick a lot, I played mostly hunting horn in 3 and the extra speed and being able to vault along with the insect mechanic is fun.

Next question (armor again).

Perception +3
??? -2
SpeedSetup +1
Sleep +1

Fill in the ??? again please. :x

I don't know the name of the skill in English but it's the rate at which the stamina bar decreases over time.

I've just completed that set 5 minutes ago and gemmed that skill to cancel it. Double the defense over my old G.Jaggi set.

I didn't play yesterday because I was too tired but today I played during the afternoon and a bit in the evening, I'm now up against Zaboazagil, the shark enemy.

la_briola

I don't know the name of the skill in English but it's the rate at which the stamina bar decreases over time.

I've just completed that set 5 minutes ago and gemmed that skill to cancel it. Double the defense over my old G.Jaggi set.

I didn't play yesterday because I was too tired but today I played during the afternoon and a bit in the evening, I'm now up against Zaboazagil, the shark enemy.

You mean hunger/&#33145;&#28187;&#12426;? At least in MH3U that was hunger.

Problem is, I did not play a MH in English in a very long time so I don't know how it was called before.
But yeah, it's indeed &#33145;&#28187;&#12426; (haraheri, lit. "stomach decrease" so hunger fits really well).

Sarcasm

Myself, I don't know Japanese but I preordered 2 MH4 bundles just for this game.(still waiting on one) I wouldn't personally dl animal crossing on my LL, but just browsing the Japanese Eshop there seems to be all kinds of games that use minimal language that a noob like me could get into. If you love MH, you'll do the right thing ;) lol

It's the reason you're going to learn Japanese- so that you can buy all your future 3DS games for it.

I think monster hunter alone is worth it though given that most people put in 100+ hours. looking at it purely from a time vs money aspect its pretty good..

but I can't imagine animal crossing being that good if you don't understand any of the dialogue..

Its hard cause I actually want to play some other games. I live in Taiwan so language learning priority is Mandarin. Time invested into game isn't an issue. The issue is..I rather play a game like Animal Crossing in English. I know if I get a JP Unit my chances of buying other games is like very close to 0. After that..why buy a system for just one game -.-

chadi

Anyone who wants to play online? Just clearing 2* quests (I think I have 3 left) before clearing 3*. Not really in a rush to raise HR. :p

Added everyone on page 1.

Zornica

Banned
So anyone here high enough and has good enough gear to help me farm the white gao magara?

after you help me get good enough gear from high rank lagombi, sure :p
(and/or the black goa for a weapon upgrade *cough*)

kinda busy for at least another 20 minutes though

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Not high enough either :( Right now at HR5 but I wanna clear out the village stuff that I haven't done yet, plus do some more expeditions. I gotta take out Khezu sub to open up the HR5 key quests then do the urgent for that. All I want is my damn Rathalos sub armor!

Anura

after you help me get good enough gear from high rank lagombi, sure :p
(and/or the black goa for a weapon upgrade *cough*)

kinda busy for at least another 20 minutes though

Not high enough either :( Right now at HR5 but I wanna clear out the village stuff that I haven't done yet, plus do some more expeditions. I gotta take out Khezu sub to open up the HR5 key quests then do the urgent for that. All I want is my damn Rathalos sub armor!

How about we all play an hour or so from now?

Zornica

Banned
ready, created a room

edit: btw I am sure you can see more high rank armors than me...
are there any with evasion that I could actually have access to? (as in being able to accept the quest)

Sarcasm

Okay guys I am borrowing my wife's cousins 3ds which doesn't belong to him.

Expect n00b questions in a week ^.^

Now to buy MH4..which is easy since I live in Taiwan ^.^

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Can someone explain me how the HR system works? I mean does eqch HR means a new bunch of mp quests and if yes, how many are there. Never played a MH game long enough to see anything high level and I want to know how many mp quests to expect in total.

Meesh

Ok, I'm dorking out with excite right now because Nippon Yasan sent an email saying they shipped my order!!! Finally..,and maybe when I catch up a bit I can join some of you guys. :)

Anura

I just repelled my first teostra! His charges are still really dumb and now he can inflict that "explode" status that brachy does

Fistwell

I just repelled my first teostra! His charges are still really dumb and now he can inflict that "explode" status that brachy does
Sweet! At what HR do you get the quest? Is lunastra in as well?

Ok, I'm dorking out with excite right now because Nippon Yasan sent an email saying they shipped my order!!! Finally..,and maybe when I catch up a bit I can join some of you guys. :)
Looking forward to playing with you!

So anyone here high enough and has good enough gear to help me farm the white gao magara?
Not that I could have joined in the middle of the night before a workday, but what HR-atck-def would one theoretically need to help you farm white magara?

Top Bottom