• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Zenaku

We should get to HR 8, farming 7 monsters when you're 7 is a bit of a waste of points :eek:
3-4 heads might be better though. Zornica and Zenaku report for duty yo.

Sorry, I was playing through the story with a second character. =x

Just finished Shagal Magara a couple hours ago; used a bow the entire run. I still have my first character with the charge axe at HR4, so I'll either have to run that up a few ranks or speed through online with my bow user.

I want to get some guild quests with original armour too, as I'm pretty sure they give out the special Khezu/Furufuru armour shown on the main site.

Having used a bow though, without the help of armour or weapons from fighting monsters online, Tigarex was harder than he was with a charge axe, but Shagal Magara was far, far easier than the 2 times I fought him with the CA.

FlyFaster

has anyone or site starting cataloging the new armors? Would like to see what some of them look like. any links would be much appreciated.

Tenbatsu

Does the 3DS LL screen turns black for a couple of seconds when you quit the game via the 3DS LL home menu? Strangely, my game is like that which is pretty weird. I tried it on my MH3G 3DS, it's the same thou.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Went to go hunt Azure Rathalos by myself in a gathering hall quest... I was gonna capture it but then as soon as I put down the trap I realized I only brought 1 tranq bomb :(

I'm an idiot

DMiz

So what are the bets that this goes west?

I think its not.

Sarcasm
(Today, 12:43 AM)

?

(In all honesty, it seems like there could be a chance. Whether or not Nintendo has to foot some of the bill, though, is another question entirely.)

Meesh

Is it me, or is humping a giant herbivore egg up a 90 degree cliff the most awkward looking thing to do in a game?

I'm thinking of trying the Charge Axe. To those maining it, how do you like it?
It's been 23+ hours since I started using it and I'm quite pleased with it.
Its attacks are quite slow in general so you have to keep this in mind when slashing quick enemies. The special Axe attack that uses cartridges (no need to buy those as you gain them by slashing in sword mode) is at first quite quick but has a slower final attack that deals good damage. Once you begin it, you commit to it so you have to be sure you'll have time to finish it or you'll be open for a few seconds.
I've only used the "explosive" type until now and it does what you expect it to. I guess the other type is just powered up swings and won't be able to stop a monster after you hit it.

I really like the shield you get in sword mode even if you're not as mobile as with a SnS.

So, sword mode is SnS but bulkier and axe mode is slash axe with more horizontal attacks and a choice of 2 effects on the special attack.

Ibuki

Banned
I just pulled the trigger and the game will be here on Friday. I guess I will just have to watch some streams until then.

Zornica

Banned
sry, I had to quit. 10 hours nonstop mh4 is just crazy.
need to do something else for a while now, otherwise I'd go insane.
lets continue tomorow night

Fistwell

The old lady cart = the new farm right?
Unsure who the old lady is... been using key dude for the farm.

mine random gear from mining points?
Yeah, like rust or ancient shards, but with more variety and randomized stats.

is it possible to fail expeditions because monster bailed?
In general no, you just keep going. Can be frustrating if you spent some time on the monster and got him to limp. There are a few "special" not-so-random expeditions, in which they expect you to kill or repel something. Those might have different rules, not sure what would happen.

Ken

Unsure who the old lady is... been using key dude for the farm.

Yeah, like rust or ancient shards, but with more variety and randomized stats.

In general no, you just keep going. Can be frustrating if you spent some time on the monster and got him to limp. There are a few "special" not-so-random expeditions, in which they expect you to kill or repel something. Those might have different rules, not sure what would happen.

That old granny that goes along with your caravan. It looks like you can use resource points to farm herbs and mushrooms? I haven't tried it yet so I'm not really sure; just guessing from her menus. Which one is the key dude? I'm in the second village.

Just downed Tetsukabura. Pretty fun but I really need to get out of this starting gear and starting charge axe lol.

Edit: Oh I looked closer and the key dude is a granpa not a granny lol. Guess that answers that!

Actually now I remembered another question; there's no more free roam any more for resources right? Like, D. Island/Moga Woods from Tri? Is it all from expeditions now?

Fistwell

Actually now I remembered another question; there's no more free roam any more for resources right? Like, D. Island/Moga Woods from Tri? Is it all from expeditions now?
Yeah that's my understanding. Which kinda sucks, it was so easy to stock up on honey and shrooms on D.Island. Meanwhile, I rarely get all that much on expeditions. Instead I just sign up for a gathering quest on some early map. Guess it wouldn't be as bad if I knew how to use/upgrade the "farm" properly. His bottom dialogue option looks like "villager requests" in Tri. But I did a cple and haven't noticed any difference. I've been filing this whole issue under the "I'll figure it out later/its bound to be translated at some point" pile of crap. That pile of crap has been growing exponentially!! ;D
(unlike my pile of honeys)

There are, you just need to keep clearing village quests or go to the guild hall

Edit: oh if you meant "without going to a quest" then no, but you can still do exploration or take the tour quests for whatever stage you want.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
BVBb2AyCUAAtxaN.jpg

Got to HR7 and finished off my Azure Rath set! I got the Rath jewels from 2 straight quests, thank god it didn't take that long. Really wish the Shaga Magara armor was Dragon resistant, it would've been my alternate to the AzRath set :/

panda21

is there an easy way to tell if a quest is a capture? I think one of the ones in 3* is capture a ketchup watcher but i can't tell for sures

Fistwell

So lemme guess... black gravios is to HR5 what pink ian is to HR4... -_-'
Wouldn't be so bad if his set wasnt so hideous (and if randoms would stop dying on his rage beam for a minute).

Anura

So lemme guess... black gravios is to HR5 what pink ian is to HR4... -_-'
Wouldn't be so bad if his set wasnt so hideous (and if randoms would stop dying on his rage beam for a minute).

Lol randoms gonna random! He isn't all that bad, you could solo I bet.

JKTrix

Played for about 4 hours last night, got up to hunting Yian Kut Ku. Started with the Charge Axe, tried the rod for a little while but got confused with its upgrade system and went back to the Axe.

Can't wait 'til I get comfortable enough with the UI to dig deep and go online.

Fistwell

Another fun set of hunts gaf!
Remember that one time? When ian had you pinned, and I came over, threw a gatdam paintball, then a second one because, hey, at this point? why the hell not! Then finally switched back to poop bombs, aimed, threw... and missed the giant monster from point blank... *dies*

Fun hunts though! =)

Lovendor, thanks for the fun! That zombie azure los was gnarly as all hell!

Anura

Remember that one time? When ian had you pinned, and I came over, threw a gatdam paintball, then a second one because, hey, at this point? why the hell not! Then finally switched back to poop bombs, aimed, threw... and missed the giant monster from point blank... *dies*

Fun hunts though! =)

Lavendor, thanks for the fun! That zombie azure los was gnarly as all hell!

I was actually laughing there!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Capcom responding to MH4 localization requests:
Hey hunters! We've seen many of you ask for us to #BRINGMH4TOTHEWEST. We're excited to see the fan base growing and you all showing your passion, keep it coming! We are continuing to evaluate new Monster Hunter titles for the west, and will share any new information with you here on Facebook as soon as we have it..
https://www.facebook.com/monsterhunter/posts/635553283132660

Anura

Am I stupid for just realizing the Teostra weapons now do slime/explosion after all that Teo farming? They're great weapons anyways but why didn't I notice? Lol

Zornica

Banned
Am I stupid for just realizing the Teostra weapons now do slime/explosion after all that Teo farming? They're great weapons anyways but why didn't I notice? Lol

the better question would be:
"why isn't there a switch axe"
T_T

Anyone know how I can get the trader upgraded enough to trade me lunastra parts? I need some for a bow

btw: I need to farm "trading options" too...

Ibuki

Banned
so, just got my slime 3ds, how do i go about it?

download or cart?

i'm not even sure how download from the jeShops could work

I went physical but it was damn expensive. I went digital for Animal Crossing. It is really straight forward, just use your credit card like the NA eshop. (If you are somewhere other than NA I am not sure if your card will work, that is the only place I can speak for.)

I just felt like I should at least have one cart for it instead of all digital.

Top Bottom